• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Oh, he meant deloading like changing the weight. Every rep? I thought it was some term I hadn't heard of describing letting the bar rest at the bottom so there was no spring/momentum. Guess I should skip to the deadlift section of Starting Strength, cause I've never heard of changing weights every rep of an exercise.

Deadlifts are typically a one rep exercise when you start getting into heavy weights. I wouldn't skip them though, they hit nearly every muscle in your body.

What do people think about rack pulls? I have a history of lower back problems (can't do deadlifts), and considering that rack pulls load from mid-knee cap, it'll put less stress on my lower back.

They're good. Also Sumo Deadlifts but might something you could look into as well.

Really though, depending on the severity of you back issues, you might want to stick with pull-ups and rows. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, he meant deloading like changing the weight. Every rep? I thought it was some term I hadn't heard of describing letting the bar rest at the bottom so there was no spring/momentum. Guess I should skip to the deadlift section of Starting Strength, cause I've never heard of changing weights every rep of an exercise.

What you described is a drop set.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Haven't posted a log in a while. Had a good workout today, hell squats on Monday were awesome too. From Fitocracy

fitocracy said:
Barbell Deadlift:
135 lb x 5 reps (+57 pts)
225 lb x 3 reps (+85 pts)
275 lb x 2 reps (+100 pts)
325 lb x 3 reps (+166 pts)
370 lb x 3 reps (+225 pts)
420 lb x 5 reps (+393 pts)
235 lb x 10 reps (+133 pts)
I drank tiger blood this morning. I feel a new PR coming next week. Still had enough in the tank for 1 or two more on third set.

Hanging Straight Leg Raise:
10 reps (+5 pts)
6 reps (+5 pts)
6 reps (+5 pts)
6 reps (+5 pts)
5 reps (+5 pts)
Lets all the way up to the bar I'm holding (overhead). Still surprised fitocracy hasn't added this version

Hill Training:
0:15:00 || Moderate (+144 pts)
10 treadmill hill sprints over 15 minutes including cooldown. Working up to 20 hill sprints (treadmill or road).

Also my 5/3/1 for powerlifting came in today. They put a sticker inside that said "you're being lied to" I got a laugh out of that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I would have died from boredom and/or a fucked up back if i had to do 71 deadlifts in a row. :lol

I hear that a lot, but I never get bored in the gym. BBB has never been boring for me. As for my back, the high volume doesn't even really bother it anymore. I think my hams/glutes/spinal erectors got strong pretty quick.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
I haven't posted in this thread for a long while, but was fairly active back in the days of the Fitness OT1 and OT2 threads where Mr. Snrub and Captain Glanton used to reign supreme. I'm currently doing 5/3/1 BBB after switching over from Madcow Intermediate and am once again enjoying it. I'm definitely not up to the levels of some of the beasts in this thread but I really love working out and absorbing all the knowledge thrown out here so I really appreciate it. Here are my current stats:

Wt: 172 Lbs
Ht: 5'11''
OHP: 5x140
Bench: 5x220
Squat: 5x280
DL: 5x340

Anyway I work out at my company gym and they've been running a fitness contest the last few weeks where you compete against everyone else in 6 events - squat, bench, pushups, pullups, mile run, and vertical leap. You don't do all of these on the same day, I did them over a week's time and just finished up today. I thought it might be fun to post and see if anyone feels like trying it out and seeing where we all stand. Here are the parameters and my results:

Mile Run - 1.0 incline on treadmill, timed with a stopwatch.
My result: 5 minutes, 58 seconds

Vertical Leap - We used tape on the wall, basically the trainer taped a piece at the top of your reach and then you slapped another piece of tape on the wall at the apex of your jump.
My results: 21.5''

Pullups - These were pretty strict form, shoulder width grip and absolutely still leg/core action. He discounted my last rep due to too much leg swing. Go until failure.
My result: 14

Pushups - Any width arm placement. Must go down to 90 degree elbow. Go until failure.
My result: 60

Squat - 150% of bodyweight for reps until failure.
My result: 255x12

Bench - 75% of bodyweight for reps until failure.
My result: 130x27

Overall I was very happy with my squat and mile numbers, a little disappointed in bench and pullups and about what I thought on the others. Anybody else want to try and compare? I think we get the results back next week and the top 3 get free memberships for a year. I doubt I'm in that group but you never know! It was fun and kind of reenergized some of my workouts so I thought it might be fun for some of you guys.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, now the conversation is just going off into space. Here is where I got confused:
I still don't understand. You should be deloading every rep according to the traditional deadlift.

I thought he meant "deloading" as in letting the bar come to a complete rest and not using a loaded stretch reflex.

Deadlifts are typically a one rep exercise when you start getting into heavy weights. I wouldn't skip them though, they hit nearly every muscle in your body.
Every exercise is a one rep exercise when you start getting into heavy weights.

deadbeef

Deloading is a term that refers to a planned period (typically a week) where a reduced load is used on all your exercises to give your body time to recover from heavy weights.

IceCold

Quick question about SS. Do you guys think the program hits the back and arms well enough? I feel that most exercises that hit the back hit mostly the lower back and not the upper back. I've also read that power cleans mostly hit the front deltoids . Other than military press or bench nothing really hits the arms. I guess if you do dips on workout A and pull ups on workout B as assistance exercises it would be enough? What do you guys think?

Mr.City

is there a separate eat healthy thread or are those questions asked here?

We like eatin' here. What's your question?

Quick question about SS. Do you guys think the program hits the back and arms well enough? I feel that most exercises that hit the back hit mostly the lower back and not the upper back. I've also read that power cleans mostly hit the front deltoids . Other than military press or bench nothing really hits the arms. I guess if you do dips on workout A and pull ups on workout B as assistance exercises it would be enough? What do you guys think?

I'll hit your arms and back...with a 2x4. Serious answer though: Do some chin ups. If you can do a lot of chins (10+) do them with added weight.

Also, any standing overhead press is not the military press. It's a overhead press or just the press. Nitpicking, I know, but the term "Military press" has gotten abused quite a bit.

Well, the upper back part is just not true: power cleans and deadlifts do amazing amounts of work for your traps

IceCold

We like eatin' here. What's your question?

I'll hit your arms and back...with a 2x4. Serious answer though: Do some chin ups. If you can do a lot of chins (10+) do them with added weight.

Also, any standing overhead press is not the military press. It's a overhead press or just the press. Nitpicking, I know, but the term "Military press" has gotten abused quite a bit.

Yeah I just call it military press out of habit. How would you call the less strict version of the press then? I thought that one was called Overhead press.

Do you think I should stop doing dips and do chin ups instead + pull ups? I have pretty skinny arms, especially compared to my thighs (dat ass lol). So I would usually do pull ups for the arms and back and dips for lower pecs and triceps. Maybe I should just do all three...

Mr.City

Yeah I just call it military press out of habit. How would you call the less strict version of the press then? I thought that one was called Overhead press.

Do you think I should stop doing dips and do chin ups instead + pull ups? I have pretty skinny arms, especially compared to my thighs (dat ass lol). So I would usually do pull ups for the arms and back and dips for lower pecs and triceps. Maybe I should just do all three...

At the risk of sounding ELITIST, I think a lot of beginners need to drop the bodybuilder, training body part idea if they're new to actual training and are not very strong. If you can't do a lot of dips or chin ups, then it's time to get busy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What about weight loss? I am not fat but i have body fat i want to get rid of. What exercises and food is best to lose body fat?

Cardio (hill sprints, tire flips, prowler pushes 'if you're rich' etc.), and quit eating shit (processed food, processed carbs, soda, etc). The problem should solve itself.

Cardio (hill sprints, tire flips, prowler pushes 'if you're rich' etc.), and quit eating shit (processed food, processed carbs, soda, etc). The problem should solve itself.

There are no hills where i live,what about just running maybe for a specific amount of time? Do you know a good site for eating healthy by the way?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There are no hills where i live,what about just running maybe for a specific amount of time? Do you know a good site for eating healthy by the way?

Not to sound like a dick, but you don't know what's good and what's bad?

And if you literally cannot find any hills you can do sprints on a treadmill. Crank it (the incline) all the way up and sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 45 or so then go again. Do it as many times as you can. If you're not in a gym, do light pole sprints (sprint 1 pole, walk 2.)

Petrie

Banned
At the risk of sounding ELITIST, I think a lot of beginners need to drop the bodybuilder, training body part idea if they're new to actual training and are not very strong. If you can't do a lot of dips or chin ups, then it's time to get busy.
No, youre absolutely right. Once you are benching 200+, squatting 300+, and deadlifting 400+, as well as doing sets of 15+ pullups, chins, and dips, then you have a solid base, and if you want to start doing more bodybuilding stuff to get those big arms, traps, or whatever, be my guest. Until then, quit missing the forest for the trees.

And if you literally cannot find any hills you can do sprints on a treadmill. Crank it (the incline) all the way up and sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 45 or so then go again. Do it as many times as you can. If you're not in a gym, do light pole sprints (sprint 1 pole, walk 2.)

Yea i worded it wrong,i just wanted to see what people eat since it gets boring eating the same thing over and over.

grumble

There are also complexes you can do involving only your bodyweight and a 7x7 space. Burpees, jumping squats, jumping jacks, skipping rope, etc come to mind.

IceCold

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm still doing compound lifts since I know they are better. It was just something that I was thinking about. Doing SS, my arms have barely grown whereas my legs have gotten much thicker. I don't know if that's due to the workout or due to genetics though. It has nothing to do with brobuilding and spending your days doing 20 variations of bicep curls in front of a mirror while pouting your lips.

ezrarh

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm still doing compound lifts since I know they are better. It was just something that I was thinking about. Doing SS, my arms have barely grown whereas my legs have gotten much thicker. I don't know if that's due to the workout or due to genetics though. It has nothing to do with brobuilding and spending your days doing 20 variations of bicep curls in front of a mirror while pouting your lips.

I don't see anything wrong with doing all three.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Dude, if you want to throw in some bi/tri work, it's not going to kill you. Feel free to experiment a little, just don't overdo it.

As for your leg growth on SS. SS is heavily squat focused, that's why. But squats are a very, very important lift. Don't be in a rush for results. Shit will come in time.

Petrie

Banned
Go ahead, just don't complain when you stall because you're adding too much accesory crap. The program is designed the way it is for a reason.

Veezy

que?

If you'd like, you can always switch to the Grayskull LP. You only do two of the big lifts per day and get to throw in some accessory work in the middle. Also, I find most people enjoy getting as many reps as they can on the last set versus the five as the feel like they did more at the gym (and it helps give a better perspective on how many #s you should jump up next time).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone here ever noticed big muscle gain due to abstention? I experienced that both times I did for a month (was trying to see if it cleared my acne). I would barely workout, and in one case didn't work out at all for two weeks (and the two weeks before I only did hiking, but only for five days out of two weeks), yet by the end I was bigger than ever.

I searched on Google and found articles that say that yes, abstinence leads to testosterone increase and helps muscle gains, but I'm not sure how reliable the articles are. I know that the Greeks did follow abstinence before the Olympics, so maybe there is a relation.

abuC

Do what you feel you need to do, people on here will tell you not to curl, even when your arms are lagging. You know your body better than anyone else.

Petrie

Banned
Do what you feel you need to do, people on here will tell you not to curl, even when your arms are lagging. You know your body better than anyone else.
People on here will tell you not to play around with tried and true programs when you are inexperienced and don't know what you're doing.

Height:5'10'

Weight:178

Goal:Lose weight and exercise with focus on every part. Mainly arms,chest and abs.

Current Training Schedule:Have not started yet. In the past when i went to the gym i worked on cardio for wright loss and dumbbells for arms.

Current Training Equipment Available:Gym soon

Comments:I am looking to return to the gym after a couple of years off. Planning to start around may/june.

Petrie

Banned

Height:5'10'

Weight:178

Goal:Lose weight and exercise with focus on every part. Mainly arms,chest and abs.

Current Training Schedule:Have not started yet. In the past when i went to the gym i worked on cardio for wright loss and dumbbells for arms.

Current Training Equipment Available:Gym soon

Comments:I am looking to return to the gym after a couple of years off. Planning to start around may/june.
There's always a reason to put it off. Start now.

kehs

Banned

If you're continually adding more lbs to the barbells you're lifting, you're not lagging and it's gentics.

If you're not adding more lbs to the barbells you're lifting, you're overtraining and it's due to the workout.

Proper overloads in compounds will do more benefit than isolation exercises for smaller muscles.

P.S. Measure your gains with numbers and not visual inspections.

balddemon

Banned
My da wighs 220 and is 6'2". Not very good weight either. He's not fat, but he's got a good belly goin on. He's had 3 ACL surgeries, 2 in one leg, 1 in the other. His shoulder is totally boned to the point where he can't really throw a baseball very far/hard.

Honestly' I'd just be happy with him getting into the gym. I'm mostly curious what you guys think he should do? I'm thinking SS, which would be really good because of the emphasis on squats would help strengthen his knees, and the press would help his shoulders.

Veezy

que?
My da wighs 220 and is 6'2". Not very good weight either. He's not fat, but he's got a good belly goin on. He's had 3 ACL surgeries, 2 in one leg, 1 in the other. His shoulder is totally boned to the point where he can't really throw a baseball very far/hard.

Honestly' I'd just be happy with him getting into the gym. I'm mostly curious what you guys think he should do? I'm thinking SS, which would be really good because of the emphasis on squats would help strengthen his knees, and the press would help his shoulders.

How's his range of motion in his knees and his shoulder? Also, what's his age and current diet?

While the press and squat can strengthen those areas, having previous injuries without complete range of motion restored can cause them to get aggravated again.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Deloading is a term that refers to a planned period (typically a week) where a reduced load is used on all your exercises to give your body time to recover from heavy weights.

I realize that, but it doesn't make sense to "deload after every rep", so I assumed he was talking about something else.

balddemon

Banned
How's his range of motion in his knees and his shoulder? Also, what's his age and current diet?

While the press and squat can strengthen those areas, having previous injuries without complete range of motion restored can cause them to get aggravated again.
He's 42. Diet is definitely something I have talked about with him; he knows it needs fixing.

Range of motion - he can go parallel with weight on his shoulders. I dot think he could do OHP tho, because his arms can't go straight up.

Alrightty guys, I wanna start brainstorming for an infographic to put together in the OP. I think it would make "read the OP" a lot easier to "read", though I would want a secondary post or two that also just lists the info. What are some key points we want to hit? A few to start:

• Cannot spot-reduce fat
  • Cannot get super bulky without trying
  • Gains and experience have somewhat of an inverse relationship (less experienced=faster gains)
  • Compound lifts>isolation lifts, if you just had to choose one
  • Push, Pull, Squat
Making dinner now, can't list more, but I'm sure you guys'll come up with some.

EDIT: Also, not even sure where this conversation is right now, but deload can refer to a)period of time after a lifting cycle where you take it easy, typically for a week, or b)letting the barbell "rest" at the end of a deadlift rep, as opposed to bouncing off the floor. Thought deload may not be the best term for that, in hindsight.

EDIT: Also, not even sure where this conversation is right now, but deload can refer to a)period of time after a lifting cycle where you take it easy, typically for a week, or b)letting the barbell "rest" at the end of a deadlift rep, as opposed to bouncing off the floor. Thought deload may not be the best term for that, in hindsight.
Ya, I've heard it used that way before, and you can tell which definition is meant by context. Likewise, "reset" means to drop your workset by a percentage and work back up, and can also mean to reset your starting position after each rep. Maybe the OP should have a glossary, since these things can be confusing. I've heard people use deload and reset interchangeably.

Fuck working out
559175_10100611229184191_58004551_59130896_1515007423_n.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Back from my ban because I apparently insulted transgender people but I had no idea I was doing so. Anyway, been going a little lighter and higher rep to get my strained shoulder back to normal.

This chest workout on Monday made me sore!

185x15, 195x12, 205x12, 215x9, 225x8...Ouch!

IceCold

Alrightty guys, I wanna start brainstorming for an infographic to put together in the OP. I think it would make "read the OP" a lot easier to "read", though I would want a secondary post or two that also just lists the info. What are some key points we want to hit? A few to start:

• Cannot spot-reduce fat
  • Gains and experience have somewhat of an inverse relationship (less experienced=faster gains)
  • Push, Pull, Squat

Going 3-4 times to the gym a week > going every day
The word toning doesn't mean shit. Either you gain/lose muscle or you gain/lose fat

• Cannot spot-reduce fat
  • Push, Pull, Squat

Probably something about how it will take time to get where you want. Like a motivation section?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Back from my ban because I apparently insulted transgender people but I had no idea I was doing so. Anyway, been going a little lighter and higher rep to get my strained shoulder back to normal.

This chest workout on Monday made me sore!

185x15, 195x12, 205x12, 215x9, 225x8...Ouch!

I avoid those (more easily offended/smaller) communities like the plague. TransgenderGAF, FurryGAF, etc. Shit gets really awkward and bans come left and right.

Didn't know your shoulder was messed up, sorry to hear that. I hope you get better quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom