• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Good idea to invest in twitter if it hits $15 a share?
Don't try to catch a risky falling tech stock. Any reason it would go up again? They are not making big changes as far as I know and it doesn't look like anyone will do a takeover anymore. Too risky for me and I don't see the upside in Twitter.

Prez

Don't try to catch a risky falling tech stock. Any reason it would go up again? They are not making big changes as far as I know and it doesn't look like anyone will do a takeover anymore. Too risky for me and I don't see the upside in Twitter.

With all those top executives resigning it's possible that their replacements will make important changes and bring the stock value back up to $25+ a share some time next year.

Also Nintendo stocks have been plunging since Super Mario Run's release. If it keeps going down I consider investing in them as well.

I'm thinking of investing 2k for each. It's risky but it might also turn out really well.

Man, is NVIDIA ever going to stop rising? ^^

I thought I'm late a few weeks ago.

+20% since I bought it.

be careful lol

WEfqOye.png

TheMostFamousBubbleChartAcademics.png

Obviously NVDA is in a good position for the future with AI, consumer and automotive GPU's...but this is to much lol.

Man, is NVIDIA ever going to stop rising? ^^

I thought I'm late a few weeks ago.

+20% since I bought it.

If Nintendo Switch actually does all right, and the Tesla Model 3 launches on time, both are very big ifs, then NVDA is going to jump to hyperspace in 2017. $200 might just be the beginning.

Of course if neither of those things happen, then shit is gonna be real. Strap in boys, we're in for a bumpy ride! :D

zer0das

Banned
Nvidia is trading so far ahead of its future earnings that it is just a matter of when it deflates. The sort of profit they'd have to return to meet investor expectations is simply too high.

Nvidia is trading so far ahead of its future earnings that it is just a matter of when it deflates. The sort of profit they'd have to return to meet investor expectations is simply too high.

Oddly enough, even right now at a trailing P/E of around 61 they are below the semiconductor industry sector average trailing P/E of around 70. True story.

I think their forward P/E is starting to look a bit ridiculous (48 vs. sector average 20) but that's only going to matter if they actually come in below a quarterly estimate and I'm just not seeing that as a likely scenario right now.

If Nintendo Switch actually does all right, and the Tesla Model 3 launches on time, both are very big ifs, then NVDA is going to jump to hyperspace in 2017. $200 might just be the beginning.

Of course if neither of those things happen, then shit is gonna be real. Strap in boys, we're in for a bumpy ride! :D
Maybe I'm pessimistic, but the Switch is going to fail hard. I don't see any reason why it would hit mainstream succes.

zer0das

Banned
I think their forward P/E is starting to look a bit ridiculous (48 vs. sector average 20) but that's only going to matter if they actually come in below a quarterly estimate and I'm just not seeing that as a likely scenario right now.

They'd have to exceed their projected profits a lot or they're going to drop. Breaking even with their projections isn't going to sate the greed.

Usobuko

Banned
Maybe I'm pessimistic, but the Switch is going to fail hard. I don't see any reason why it would hit mainstream succes.

Between 3DS and Wii U LTD, leaning closer to the former because Pokemon brand is super strong. Mario is a staple. Japan will eat up Monster Hunter and the rest of Nintendo IP will do fairly well.

I do not see it doing around Wii U + 3DS LTD.

TCRS

Banned
played around with fake money this year and bought a couple of ETFs. Invested 1000 euros, at the end of December they were worth ~3800€. Now what to do with that 2800€ gain? Cash out? Leave it as it is? take it and invest in other things?? What do you do in a situation like this?

gonna try with real money this year.

played around with fake money this year and bought a couple of ETFs. Invested 1000 euros, at the end of December they were worth ~3800€. Now what to do with that 2800€ gain? Cash out? Leave it as it is? take it and invest in other things?? What do you do in a situation like this?

gonna try with real money this year.
The ETF is real money I take it? Depends a bit on the kind of ETF and what your goal is. If these are pretty standard things like Total Market funds or S&P500, I'd just let it ride and collect the dividends along the way. It might go down of course, so maybe set a stop loss to prevent losing it all again.

TCRS

Banned
The ETF is real money I take it? Depends a bit on the kind of ETF and what your goal is. If these are pretty standard things like Total Market funds or S&P500, I'd just let it ride and collect the dividends along the way. It might go down of course, so maybe set a stop loss to prevent losing it all again.

No that was fake money. I'm using the trading212 app (a colleague introduced it to me, I have no idea if there are better options).

so just let it develop and collect the dividends hmm. maybe split my investment in 30 % ETFs with strong dividends and 70 % for long term investments? I am more interested in long term investment tbh.

No that was fake money. I'm using the trading212 app (a colleague introduced it to me, I have no idea if there are better options).

so just let it develop and collect the dividends hmm. maybe split my investment in 30 % ETFs with strong dividends and 70 % for long term investments? I am more interested in long term investment tbh.
Since there is little chance you will consistently beat the market, some ETFs capturing a pretty large market will probably beat most advice for the very long term if you don't want too much risk. For Europe, there is a Eurostoxx High Dividend fund that picks the large Eurozone companies with high returns.

For long term investments I basically pick companies that I trust to be around and will recover if things go bad, but also have a good upside (a the moment Unilever, Daimler and Ahold). Buy the dip and ride it out. I don't trust myself to make that million dollar picks on companies I don't really know.

Then I do some short term stuff that is basically buying and selling within a few percent change.

Of course my returns for last year (after costs, take this into account when trading for real!) were 22%. So I'm far from an expert. You need to develop a system you are comfortable with.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Sold Tesla yesterday for $225. Lookong for my next buy. Good peofit in 4 months.

What do you guys think. Is AAPL good atm? Around $114

Sold Tesla yesterday for $225. Lookong for my next buy. Good peofit in 4 months.

Doubt it. How are they going to grow? The iPhone is not going to double in sales anymore. Unless you think they can surprise with some new model or product, but that is just gambling at that point.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now on new investments. I'm not sure what the combination of an all time high stock market and a Trump presidency will bring. Is there anything smart to do with what I have right now? I have maybe close to 50% of my investing money sitting in a .75% apy savings account right now.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now on new investments. I'm not sure what the combination of an all time high stock market and a Trump presidency will bring. Is there anything smart to do with what I have right now? I have maybe close to 50% of my investing money sitting in a .75% apy savings account right now.
Marijuana? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330942

Wonder if there are any companies on the market relating to it actually. With the US making this stuff more and more legal there might be something there.

Bus I'm on the sideline mostly like you. Did 2 quick trades on steel this week. Might be better to wait and see what happens later this month.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Marijuana? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330942

Wonder if there are any companies on the market relating to it actually. With the US making this stuff more and more legal there might be something there.

I know about a Swedish company called Heliospectra at least (I even own some stocks myself). They make lighting technology for plant research and greenhouse cultivation. While not exclusive to marijuana, it seems to be the biggest market for them, and what they are focusing on. They've been expanding a lot internationally (in the US, mostly) so I am pretty hopeful there.

Usobuko

Banned

Traded on Apple a couple of times. I am not an Apple fan but a firm believer of its brand power and ex-cash future earnings of APPL.

The only issue I have is "when to buy" again and again.

The trump presidency just makes thing so awkward because of his protectionism rhetoric. See, I know the Chinese government would retaliate 100% should Trump act on his promises. This is the same government that don't shine from not working with the Korea airlines for back up capacity during Chinese New Year 2017 recently ( thanks to Korea accepting US missile system ) and a host of actions it deemed appropriate against the other nations because it felt wasn't respecting them as they wanted.

Guess what? The Chinese mentioned a tic-for-tat on Apple explicitly in a statement a few weeks ago warning Trump that co-operation is the only win-win forward. The same Trump who said he don't like them dictating what he does.

This gunna be good.

It's much easier to get a picture if its, for example, Google who have little dealings in China for example.

Mrbob

Nvidia had an amazing 2016 run. I think it will eventually go up but now it's consolidation time. Let's see if 100 holds out we could go down to 90.

BeforeU

Yeah i agree that Apple has hit that saturation point. But was just thinking to do some swing trading.

Anyways, what do you guys think of MSFT? I bought 100 for $52...thinking of buying more.

For swing traders, do you consider trading options? If you have a price target in mind and a time period you wish to hold it for, options sounds like the more profitable route.

BeforeU

For swing traders, do you consider trading options? If you have a price target in mind and a time period you wish to hold it for, options sounds like the more profitable route.

I have no knowledge of this lol
Can you elaborate?

ColdPizza

Banned
I have no knowledge of this lol
Can you elaborate?

options are basically bets that a stock will be a certain price at a certain date...instead of buying the shares, you're buying the right to own those shares at the strike price at a certain date.

it'll basically allow you to trade a stock with potentially less downside than if you actually owned shares of the stock

options are basically bets that a stock will be a certain price at a certain date...instead of buying the shares, you're buying the right to own those shares at the strike price at a certain date.

it'll basically allow you to trade a stock with potentially less downside than if you actually owned shares of the stock

Right. You are purchasing the right to buy a stock at a certain price point by a certain date. It's much cheaper, and allows you to trade big ticket stocks that you might normally shy away from, like Google and Amazon. If you buy 1 call option of a stock, you are saying, "I have the right to purchase 100 shares of this stock at so-and-so price by such-and-such date, no matter what the current value of the stock is."

As an example, on Tuesday(1/3) I looked at Ford's chart (F) and liked what I was seeing for a continuation to the upside for the next day. It was trading at about 12.60 at the time. So, instead of purchasing 2,500 shares of the company, which would've cost about $31,500, I purchased 25 call options at the $13 strike for Jan 20th. They were trading for 10 cents. That means, for every call option I purchase of Ford, I have the right to buy 100 shares of the company at 13 bucks, no matter what price it is at. So, I essentially bought the right to purchase 2,500 shares of Ford for 13 bucks a piece. This trade cost me 250 bucks.

Options math(buy):
1 call option = 100 shares
option pricing = .10 cents
100 * .10 = $10
25 call options = 2,500 shares
option pricing = .10 cents
2,500 * .10 = $250

Notice the difference in the amount of money I had to have in order to trade?
$31,500 for 2,500 shares

vs

$250 for the right to purchase 2,500 shares at $13 a piece by Jan. 20th.

Anyway, the next day(1/4) Ford went up to as high as 13.27.

Suddenly, the call options I purchased were very attractive. I essentially could exercise those options and purchase 2,500 shares of the stock at 13 bucks, even thought it was trading at 13.27 (this is why directors in companies will take stock options at crazy low prices compared to the company's stock price).

So, I sold my 25 call options of Ford for .23 cents an option.

Options math(sell):
25 call options = 2,500 shares
option pricing = .23 cents
2,500 * .23 = $575

My purchase of $250 ended up being worth $575 = about 130% gain overnight.

Options can be very powerful if used correctly.

I looked into options some time ago, but couldn't really wrap my head around it completely.

So who the 20th comes around and you didn't sell them yet, you need to buy them at $13 right, even if the price is lower? Or can you just drop them and take the $250 loss on it also?

ColdPizza

Banned
I looked into options some time ago, but couldn't really wrap my head around it completely.

So who the 20th comes around and you didn't sell them yet, you need to buy them at $13 right, even if the price is lower? Or can you just drop them and take the $250 loss on it also?

You don't have to buy them. You can eat the loss on the premium.

If your call options are about to expire without you selling them, and the price of the stock is below what you expected them to be, you can do one of two things. Eat the 250 loss when the option becomes worthless the day after expiration, or you can roll the option into a later expiration date by paying the difference in price.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Who are you buying/selling these options from/to? Is this like a "parallel" market to the stocks themselves? E.g. how is the 10 cents buy price defined? Does someone buy the options for 23 cents in the hope that the stock price rises even more till the expiration date or just to get the 4 cents of difference? Why can this person not buy them for 10 cents like you did the day before?

ColdPizza

Banned
Who are you buying/selling these options from/to? Is this like a "parallel" market to the stocks themselves? E.g. how is the 10 cents buy price defined? Does someone buy the options for 23 cents in the hope that the stock price rises even more till the expiration date or just to get the 4 cents of difference? Why can this person not buy them for 10 cents like you did the day before?

http://www.investopedia.com/university/options/

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks, I think that answered most of my questions. One thing I'm not clear on is this sentence written in the article: "According to the CBOE, about 10% of options are exercised, 60% are traded out, and 30% expire worthless." What happens with the 60% that are traded out? If someone else now owns a traded option, it still has to be exercised or it will expire. Dolla Dolla mentioned that options can be extended, but that of course comes with costs.

Does this mean that eventually 25% of all options are exercised and 75% expire worthless? I'm not sure if I interpret these statistics correctly, but trading an option does nothing to the option itself other than it having another owner, right?

Thanks, I think that answered most of my questions. One thing I'm not clear on is this sentence written in the article: "According to the CBOE, about 10% of options are exercised, 60% are traded out, and 30% expire worthless." What happens with the 60% that are traded out? If someone else now owns a traded option, it still has to be exercised or it will expire. Dolla Dolla mentioned that options can be extended, but that of course comes with costs.

Does this mean that eventually 25% of all options are exercised and 75% expire worthless? I'm not sure if I interpret these statistics correctly, but trading an option does nothing to the option itself other than it having another owner, right?

Options are contracts. I'm guessing that the sellers have something to do with trading out being an end to the options contract rather than having them expire worthless. It gets a bit complicated on the sellers end, what with exercising and delivering stock.

Maybesew

If you want to learn about how to consistently make money with options, check out tastytrade.com

The most important thing to understand with options is how to value them, and there are statistics known as "greeks" that help to do this quick. delta and theta being the most important imo

Usobuko

Banned
Constant regrets not getting on the nvidia and amd train for self driving cars early last year because I'm a technological buffoon. I looked at it and decides not to go into area I'm not confident in.

Aye, just going to look elsewhere.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DDD up 16% on buyout speculation. I expect nothing to come out of this, as always.

ColdPizza

Banned
Constant regrets not getting on the nvidia and amd train for self driving cars early last year because I'm a technological buffoon. I looked at it and decides not to go into area I'm not confident in.

I'm regretting selling out of AMD too soon...bought at 7 and sold at 8.50 thinking it would be a slow ride up but then it broke though all resistance to $11+...oh well, still made some money.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Do you know historically how DDD has reacted after a buyout rumor and then no follow through? Could play a potential options put if it's expected to go down a decent amount in a month or two.

It will probably tank by the end of the week, not in a month or two. The stock is HIGHLY shorted, so any time there's a small upward positive move shorts run for the door, only to come back soon after. Never did options though and prefer not to, especially not with this stock.

RevoDS

Options are contracts. I'm guessing that the sellers have something to do with trading out being an end to the options contract rather than having them expire worthless. It gets a bit complicated on the sellers end, what with exercising and delivering stock.

My guess would be that 100% is the total trading volume of the options. 40% of the volume gets held until maturity, while 60% is traded again before maturity. If you further deconstruct the proportion that's held until maturity, 10% are in the money and exercised, 30% expire worthless.

That is to say, the initial contracts represent 40% of the volume, while 60% of the volume comes from trading of existing contracts. From there, it would be correct to interpret the data as 75% of the contracts expiring worthless, 25% being in the money.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm still not a 100% confident, I think I have a way better understanding of options now. Thanks, guys!

AMD isn't likely to go much higher, but NVDA has a lot of upward movement ahead of it. If AMD hits $15 in 2017 I'm bailing out but I plan to ride NVDA to $200 and beyond.

You're late getting in but getting in late is better than never getting in at all.

Usobuko

Banned
AMD isn't likely to go much higher, but NVDA has a lot of upward movement ahead of it. If AMD hits $15 in 2017 I'm bailing out but I plan to ride NVDA to $200 and beyond.

You're late getting in but getting in late is better than never getting in at all.

I fully invested atm although everyone of them is making gains.

If I can free up my cash, I would consider Nvidia. A.I., self-driving, virtual / augmented reality and the traditional gaming space. Thanks man.

Best stocks under $5 to invest in for poor people starting out like me? Some companies that are expecting growth for 2017?

If so, what site would you suggest that breaks things down like that for what I'm looking for? Or a good site that lists the best stocks under $5?

Thanks.

Edit-so it seems like it is not wise to invest in companies with stock prices under five dollars?

Best stocks under $5 to invest in for poor people starting out like me? Some companies that are expecting growth for 2017?

If so, what site would you suggest that breaks things down like that for what I'm looking for? Or a good site that lists the best stocks under $5?

Thanks.

Edit-so it seems like it is not wise to invest in companies with stock prices under five dollars?

You can use the screener on finviz.com to find stocks in the price range you desire. We were just discussing options though for people who don't have big accounts but want to trade big stocks like Google and Amazon. You might want to look into it.

Does anyone like to buy a set number of shares for one company before moving on to another? What number have you settled on? I've just begun investing for retirement, and my current strategy is to buy 100 shares per company.

100 shares is worth different amounts of money depending on individual share price. When I'm buying into new positions I tend to buy in blocks of cash. So instead of buying 100 shares, I buy x number of shares worth y dollars, where y is an arbitrary block value which I picked one day a few years ago that I liked.

Top Bottom