• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

vaporeon

Not sure if kidding.
I'm not. He's going to be popular.
But we probably roam around in different online circles.

Lots of women are going to be into shipping him with P5 MC. He's the premier fodder for it. I currently see it a lot more than any other m/m pairing for the game.
He also seems to have become the premier source of terrible jokes/memes. It'll only get worse from here.

I'm not. He's going to be popular.
But we probably roam around in different online circles.

That's possible.

I mean, I only know that one thing about him, and nothing else outside of his description from the site, so I legitimately don't know what would make him that popular.

Lots of women are going to be into shipping him with P5 MC. He's the premier fodder for it. I currently see it a lot more than any other m/m pairing for the game.

I can see this happening, yeah.

This is gonna be like walking down a really long road with a tiny pebble in your shoe.
Theoretically trivial, but in reality annoying as all hell.

Well at least they've moved on from Yusuke "he looks like Jun so he must be gay" Kitagawa. :/

The Goro thing, or the localization name pronunciation?

Pronunciation.
How fans perceive a character is its own thing.

vaporeon

Well at least they've moved on from Yusuke "he looks like Jun so he must be gay" Kitagawa. :/
Only Persona buffs do the Jun comparison. Most people don't know who Jun is and or that P2 even exists.
But I think he'll be popular for shipping.

There's going to be literally one of line of dialogue out there that has some vague implication that will set fujoshis off and it'll blow up in popularity. It's how it always goes...

Only Persona buffs do the Jun comparison. Most people don't know who Jun is and or that P2 even exists.

There's going to be literally one of line of dialogue out there that has some vague implication that will set fujoshis off and it'll blow up in popularity. It's how it always goes...

And of course a screencap's worth a thousand lines, and I can think of at least
two

I can think of a whole Social Link rank that will make people say stuff.

I think I know what it is.

DNAbro

I can think of a whole Social Link rank that will make people say stuff.

I would really like this game's legacy to be about it's story, or stylishness or..Anything but waifu/husbando fodder. Come on, we can do it guys.

This is a weird place to ask but, you can "claim" an OT right? Does anyone have the thread for The Caligula Effect? I've wanting to try my hand at an OT and I have really been anticipating that game's NA release

I would really like this game's legacy to be about it's story, or stylishness or..Anything but waifu/husbando fodder. Come on, we can do it guys.

This is a weird place to ask but, you can "claim" an OT right? Does anyone have the thread for The Caligula Effect? I've wanting to try my hand at an OT and I have really been anticipating that game's NA release

Go to the community tab and see if it's been claimed. If it hasn't, you can follow the steps to claim it.

Anyone still feeling wonky about the pronunciation, try this out. I think it's helping me.

That or it might make it worse. 50/50.

Note: Contains one non-spoiler sentence. It's safe.

Guess Who

Banned
Anyone still feeling wonky about the pronunciation, try this out. I think it's helping me.

That or it might make it worse. 50/50.

Note: Contains one non-spoiler sentence. It's safe.

It doesn't help, it perfectly illustrates the problem - Japanese VA puts the emphasis on the "sa", English VA puts it on the "ka".

artsi

I'll be doing some fanart to celebrate the western launch. This one is WIP tho.

mShuF3H.jpg

Lynx_7

Well that Edge thread was weird.

Curious to see how the actual review thread will pan out now. I'm guessing people will latch on to 2 or 3 negative members (and some obviously sarcastic posts that some are bound to miss the point) and make an entire page about how X score is ok when there aren't many people really complaining in the first place.

Until we get a 6 or a 7 of course. Then I fully expect some people to actually lose it.

Lusankya

Well that Edge thread was weird.

Curious to see how the actual review thread will pan out now. I'm guessing people will latch on to 2 or 3 negative members (and some obviously sarcastic posts that some are bound to miss the point) and make an entire page about how X score is ok when there aren't many people really complaining in the first place.

Until we get a 6 or a 7 of course. Then I fully expect some people to actually lose it.

Isn't an 8 from Edge really good? Like a 9 or 10 from most other magazines/web sites?
And also in general 8/10 is a good score and means the reviewer likes the game.

Lynx_7

Isn't an 8 from Edge really good? Like a 9 or 10 from most other magazines/web sites?
And also in general 8/10 is a good score and means the reviewer likes the game.

It is, and the overall response was largely measured. There wasn't much drama outside of one guy saying it was too low for Persona/Nier and some metacritic validation. The way some were acting you'd expect the thread to be Jim Sterling part 2.

wmlk

Honestly, the main takeaway for me from what people are paraphrasing from the review is that it will come down to preferences. People's favourites are going to be split on P3, P4, and P5. It's what we expected for a while now, but people are focusing on just the score.

Tunoku

I'm glad that we have all these other games that are making the wait for Persona so much easier. Just got into Nier and I hope I can get everything done before April 4th.

Lusankya

I think part of the drama comes from the fact that Edge rated P4 higher than P5.

I believe the upset is due to P4 getting a 9.

Oh, I see. Well, there is always some drama in the Persona fandom when P4 is involved.

It is, and the overall response was largely measured. There wasn't much drama outside of one guy saying it was too low for Persona/Nier and some metacritic validation. The way some were acting you'd expect the thread to be Jim Sterling part 2.

Yeah, metacritic is serious business...
It won't be important anyways as I guess there will be 50+ different reviews for the game.

Saw this clip of some of the voice acting
https://twitter.com/ZeoMassicot/status/845304086643695616

I really don't get why they pronounce it like that. Like no one stopped and said "hey this is wrong" or did someone just say "hey lets pronounce it differently because why the fuck not." Like I want to give Atlus USA the benefit of the doubt because usually they are great with their dubs and localizations but seriously why this?

Ehh, that's a bit painful to hear such a mangled name. And then a VA (not THE actual VA afaik) tried to defend this:
Erika Harlacher‏ @ErikaHarlacher Mar 24
@werifes @ZeoMassicot @Mandilinn480 Actors never just make up pronunciations, we always do as requested~

Erika Harlacher ‏@ErikaHarlacher Mar 24
@werifes @Mandilinn480 It's my belief that the JP way will sound odd surrounded by American words, can't have accuracy & flow all the time~

Japanese will sound odd next to American words? So I guess my Japanese-American friend should change her name to not sound odd. /s

I was pretty much ready to play the English dub because I thought it was fine in P3, but now...I think I may be going for JP. Considering it's set in Tokyo, it makes it a bit more authentic anyway.

edit:
The VA is doing her job. Let's not give her shit in this.

I don't think the VA who responded is the actual VA for that character? I wasn't giving her shit, I just think her argument for the pronunciation is not great.

Lynx_7

I'm glad that we have all these other games that are making the wait for Persona so much easier. Just got into Nier and I hope I can get everything done before April 4th.

And here I am waiting for my new headphones to arrive, which is taking freaking forever, before I can finally open my copy of Automata. >_>
I refuse to give that game anything less than the best audio experience I possibly can. What little I've heard of the OST is GOAT contender material.

Setsu00

Ehh, that's a bit painful to hear such a mangled name. And then a VA (not THE actual VA afaik) tried to defend this:

Japanese will sound odd next to American words? So I guess my Japanese-American friend should change her name to not sound odd. /s

I was pretty much ready to play the English dub because I thought it was fine in P3, but now...I think I may be going for JP. Considering it's set in Tokyo, it makes it a bit more authentic anyway.

edit:

I don't think the VA who responded is the actual VA for that character? I wasn't giving her shit, I just think her argument for the pronunciation is not great.

This IS Ann's voice actress. And it really isn't her fault if she was indeed told to say it like that.

wmlk

Tearing apart one bad sounding line of dialogue sounds like a bit too much. There are probably parts like that to P3 and P4 as well, but no one cared enough to pick it apart back when those games released.

This IS Ann's voice actress. And it really isn't her fault if she was indeed told to say it like that.

Ah okay. And yeah I agree, if she was given that direction it's on Atlus. I find it strange Atlus would do this after Yakuza 0's stellar dub and localization. Difference between Sega's localization team and Atlus?

Setsu00

Ah okay. And yeah I agree, if she was given that direction it's on Atlus. I find it strange Atlus would do this after Yakuza 0's stellar dub and localization. Difference between Sega's localization team and Atlus?

I really don't know, but considering you mentioned P3's dub I wanted to point out that the entire cast pretty much fails to correctly pronounce most names in that game. It's YU-kari, not Yu-KA-ri. It's KI-rijo, not Ki-RI-jo. That same thing is true for P4, actually. It's TA-tsumi, not Ta-TSU-mi. The point is that these kinds of mispronounciations have been a part of this series for a long time.

Sega's and Atlus's localisation team are basically the same now anyway. The producer on Yakuza 0 previously worked on Radiant Historia, Catherine, Trauma Centre, Etrian, ect.

True to both, I guess I look at P3 with a bit of rose-colored glasses. Don't know why I said Y0 has a dub haha. The localization IS stellar though.

Setsu00

I'd be willing to bet that most of you wouldn't be bothered that much by the way that name is pronounced if you hadn't watched so much Japanese footage. It's perfectly in line with the previous dubs and I really don't see why this is becoming an issue now when it wasn't one when P3 came out.

Lynx_7

Sega's and Atlus's localisation team are basically the same now anyway. The producer on Yakuza 0 previously worked on Radiant Historia, Catherine, Trauma Centre, Etrian, ect.

Speaking of which, to the people who are playing the game right now, would you say the dub/localization is as good as Catherine's?
I'd be willing to bet that most of you wouldn't be bothered that much by the way that name is pronounced if you hadn't watched so much Japanese footage. It's perfectly in line with the previous dubs and I really don't see why this is becoming an issue now when it wasn't one when P3 came out.

People are more exposed to P5's japanese dub than they ever were with P3's since the franchise was small time back then.

Hm, for me I'd say it's in part my ignorance of Japanese pronunciation when vanilla P3 came out vs. being more aware now. I had no idea how Yukari was supposed to be pronounced. But also, I think general expectations of accuracy in localizations in 2017 are different than they were in 2006. It's really not a big deal to me though, and it's fortunate we have a JP language option.

Guess Who

Banned

It's hard to overstate how far the bar has been raised for video game and anime localizations since 2006.

Sophia

The pronunciation of names in the Persona 5 dub is significantly worse then the pronunciation of names in the Persona 3 dub. Also, anyone with a rudimentary level of Japanese knowledge is going to be bothered, given it goes against what they've likely learned about pronouncing so far. : \

It's hard to overstate how far the bar has been raised for video game and anime localizations since 2006.

This too.

Mediking

Playing through Persona 4 Golden again has reminded how cool Yukiko is and how sad some of the social links are.

Playing through Persona 3 again reminded me how awesome Mitsuru and Aki are.

Yakuza hasn't had a dub since the first game.

Still doesn't change the fact that pronunciation sounds wonky compared to P3 and P4.
Or maybe it's just a side-effect of all this waiting...

Top Bottom