• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Honestly, even though the JP side wanted it to be pronounced like that for "accuracy," I'd say that there are still absolutely times where that should be sacrificed for a more natural sounding outcome if the end result is something like this.

The situation is the same as the "AHn" thing, and I think that most people would probably Prefer it as "Anne" from what I've seen.

Jintor

I haven't listened to the pronounciation over and over or anything but it doesn't even sound like an american pronounciation of a japanese name

name erasure is something that irritates me personally though so i'm probs just a bit hypersensitive.

So, yeah, I don't buy that BS they fed to us about the reason for the April delay anymore. This wasn't about polishing localisation (at least not fully). This was a business decision to get the game away from a crowded first quarter.

#ForeverSalty

So, yeah, I don't buy that BS they fed to us about the reason for the April delay anymore. This wasn't about polishing localisation (at least not fully). This was a business decision to get the game away from a crowded first quarter.

#ForeverSalty

PR stands for Public Ruse. :/

Or do we go straight for ze jugular and say #AtlusLied?

daevious

#ForeverSalty

Like, that's still a totally legit reason to do so. At the very least, it seems like Persona 5 might ride some momentum over Mass Effect: Andromeda being disappointing in comparison to its predecessors.

Like, that's still a totally legit reason to do so. At the very least, it seems like Persona 5 might ride some momentum over Mass Effect: Andromeda being disappointing in comparison to its predecessors.

Exactly. I'd rather wait a little longer and have the game be as successful as possible. A few months wait is a small price to pay for a better chance at even more Persona in the future.

#ForeverSalty

I'm sure there were some things in the localization changed during the time, specifically with one of the targets.
One of the targets is an asshole politician and the delay was announced a few days after the US election

Sadly no P5 Dancing All Night announced on that stream.

No but Yukiko is in the Strange Journey Remake.

Sadly no P5 Dancing All Night announced on that stream.

Don't worry, there's still another Persona stream before the game is out over here.

Just PSC V, so I don't actually expect any major announcements, but they might do something special since it's the last ever episode. The first one did get an all new exclusive screen of the first P4D after all.

I'm sure there were some things in the localization changed during the time, specifically with one of the targets.
One of the targets is an asshole politician and the delay was announced a few days after the US election

If this whole delay was to
make the allegory all the more obvious, I'll be severely disappointed.

If anyone has played 5, is it safe to seek treasure? It says you can sell it but I'm wary as many games say you can sell stuff but then they end up being valuable for crafting or gifting.

Tunoku

I usually stick with a party and don't change around too much. Makoto and Yusuke are probably locks for me from what I've seen. Aaah, I'm so excited!

vaporeon

#ForeverSalty
I've been obnoxiously saying this the whole time!! Never underestimate the deciding power of a company's financial team. GAAP breaks a lot of hearts.

My ~personal~ speculation is that there were three major financial factors to P5's delay...
1) I feel like the game is the only major source of revenue in the console ("packaged") game category. It will bring FY18's Q1 revenue off to a good start in an otherwise barren output during that time period.
2) Console/packaged games sales for FY17 look like they have already far exceeded last year's numbers and have surpassed Sega's original forecasts by twice as much. There is no need to go way beyond their original goal. They need to spread out revenue to different fiscal year in order to prevent a huge drop-off in sales numbers YOY. This is so important for sooo many reasons. I've currently been slaving away at renewing my organization's line of credit and it's been so difficult trying to convince creditors when our revenue flow is a roller coaster throughout the year.
3) New fiscal year means a fresh slate on the budget. From personal experience, a lot of companies tend to lay off temps, cut costs, etc. towards the end of the fiscal year in order to better meet the budget and make the year-end financials look good, lol. Starting off a new fiscal year gives a lot more freedom in spending. Fingers crossed for more marketing & distribution of the game!!

dickroach

never played any SMT game, bought P4Gold because it was on sale and I've heard sooo many good things. I'm almost 7 hours in, and uh... (when) does it pick up? It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but I feel like so little has happened

Mediking

How does experience sharing work on this game?

Do only characters in the party get experience?

Lmao. This isn't Pokemon X and Y.

Wow... 2013.... I think... I was still in high school....
never played any SMT game, bought P4Gold because it was on sale and I've heard sooo many good things. I'm almost 7 hours in, and uh... (when) does it pick up? It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but I feel like so little has happened

Lmao! You're in for a ride, man! Hang on! Things are about to get wild! Hahaha you have no idea whats about to happen to you! Keep playing!

Lynx_7

Hard to tell, really. Persona is a really beloved franchise but it's not for everyone, so the answer to your question really varies from person to person.
To me, P4 clicked pretty much immediately. The atmosphere, the premise, the characters, etc, it was all right up my alley. To some, it takes a few hours before it gets going. To others, it never does. So, I don't really think there's a correct answer. You either enjoy the core formula or you don't, there's no magical chapter 20 hours in that suddenly makes everything worth it, just a gradual build up of what's already presented in the first 10 hours. It's a pretty slow paced game.

Sophia

How does experience sharing work on this game?

Do only characters in the party get experience?

There's an EXP share as well as another related feature that are unlocked as you play.

Persona 4's a slow burner. It'll definitely take time to ramp up, as it's a long game. If you're not hating it tho, stick with it. It definitely gets more exciting.

Strimei

So, what's everyones party setup going to be?

Mine will be Akira, Yusuke, Haru & Ann[e]

Morgana will take Haru's place for the beginning though.

Knowing me, I'm going to level everyone. You never know if someone may prove useful at some point!

But my main team I expect to be MC, Yusuke, Makoto, and...dunno. Will see who I click with.

Hard to tell, really. Persona is a really beloved franchise but it's not for everyone, so the answer to your question really varies from person to person.
To me, P4 clicked pretty much immediately. The atmosphere, the premise, the characters, etc, it was all right up my alley.

It seems like there's P3 people and P4 people, and there's not many that really enjoy both. I'm a Persona 3 kinda guy and was immediately turned off by P4.

So I'm curious if P5 will attract more of one group vs. the other, or if it will somehow join all Persona fans together in mutual love for criminal activity.

Sophia

From my experience, most people enjoy both.

Usually, if someone has a preference for one over the other, it's due to the gameplay improvements made in Persona 4.

dickroach

To me, P4 clicked pretty much immediately. The atmosphere, the premise, the characters, etc, it was all right up my alley. To some, it takes a few hours before it gets going. To others, it never does. So, I don't really think there's a correct answer. You either enjoy the core formula or you don't, there's no magical chapter 20 hours in that suddenly makes everything worth it, just a gradual build up of what's already presented in the first 10 hours. It's a pretty slow paced game.

It's just new to me. I'm used to JRPGs where it's just kinda story, battle, battle, battle, story, battle, battle, battle, etc.
There's no wrong way to play this game, right? like hanging out with x instead of going to y is not gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

Most people enjoy both.

From my experience, most people enjoy both.

Usually, if someone has a preference for one over the other, it's due to the gameplay improvements made in Persona 4.

Hrm, that's not usually what I see when Persona comes up in threads; it's usually fairly polarized. I would say at the least people have a strong preference for one over the other, based more on thematic and character elements.

It's just new to me. I'm used to JRPGs where it's just kinda story, battle, battle, battle, story, battle, battle, battle, etc.
There's no wrong way to play this game, right? like hanging out with x instead of going to y is not gonna come back to bite me in the ass?

There's a slight priority on your party members' links because their bonuses focus on their abilities in combat, but going by P4/P4G you won't accidentally make the game unplayable if you decide not to hang out with a specific character.

Lynx_7

There's no wrong way to play, but some ways are more effective than others.
I'd say just focus on social link stuff, don't neglect your stats (courage, intelligence, etc) because you need them at a certain level for a few SLs, and try to finish up dungeons in 2 to 3 in-game days (early-game dungeons take longer than later ones in my experience). Rainy days are usually recommended for finishing up dungeons since you can't really do much else (there are always a string of rainy days before the deadline comes up). Other than that, don't worry about following any guides or maxing out every single SL, just play however you want. Except if you don't max out Dojima and Nanako's SLinks, then you're objectively playing it wrong.

As for the 3 vs 4 debate, the reason I prefer 4 isn't really tied to gameplay improvements (which I think are perfectly fine in 3) but moreso pacing and characters. P3's story moves at what feels like a glacial pace (yes, more than P4) and there are months where little to nothing happens. I felt burnt out sometimes, which isn't something I experienced with 4. A lot of it has to do with the fact that 4 keeps you engaged with social events and story development is more spread out instead of being condensed at the end of the month. Also, the whole murder mystery shtick just seemed more unique and interesting for a JRPG than P3's gang of supernatural students trying to save the world. 3 is still cool though, I really like it, just not nearly as much as 4.

Sophia

Damn straight. I do this in every JRPG if there is no exp sharing.

Note, this was awwwwful in Persona Q.

Try doing it on Risky mode in Persona Q.

Atlus, what the hell. ಠ_ಠ

Also, before PK chimes in: I NEVER LOWERED THE DIFFICULTY ONCE. SO HAH~!

Mediking

It seems like there's P3 people and P4 people, and there's not many that really enjoy both. I'm a Persona 3 kinda guy and was immediately turned off by P4.

So I'm curious if P5 will attract more of one group vs. the other, or if it will somehow join all Persona fans together in mutual love for criminal activity.

Ummm... what?

I'm like the biggest Persona 3 guy (heck, I'm thinking about changing to a Mitsuru avatar these days) but I always give Persona 4 Golden its credit. Amazing music, suspense, cast, super good voice acting, engaging story, etc. Persona 4 can stand on its own feet.

And guess what? Persona 1 and 2 pretty dang good too!

Persona 5 has been said numerous times to have/had surpassed Persona 3 and Persona 4 from casual Persona fans and hardcore fans. I'm looking forward to seeing how it can impress me.

There is NO split in Persona fanbase regarding games. This isn't Final Fantasy where every other conversation is a argument over whether the next entry should be turn based or real time. No offense to Final Fantasy because I do like that series but that series has a incredibly divided fanbase.

Gestahl

So, what's everyones party setup going to be?

Mine will be Akira, Yusuke, Haru & Ann[e]

Morgana will take Haru's place for the beginning though.

Maybe you should wait until you know what each character actually does before setting your heart on a specific setup.

*gameplay*
I'm pretty sure that might legit be the worst party composition in the game lol

*more gameplay*
Luckily you can use everyone in any one battle eventually so it's not much of an issue.

Sophia

There is NO split in Persona fanbase regarding games. This isn't Final Fantasy where every other conversation is a argument over whether the next entry should be turn based or real time. No offense to Final Fantasy because I do like that series but that series has a incredibly divided fanbase.

Well actually there is. But it's usually Persona 1/2 fans vs Persona 3/4 fans. =P

Lynx_7

There's also the Persona x SMT split (which generally overlaps with P1/2 fans), so it's not like we don't have our own family matters. :p
And then there are those who think even SMT is getting "too anime" now.

Top Bottom