• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Mediking

I'm actually having a hard time to believe that Persona 5 will top NieR:Automata as the best gaming related thing in years for me.

Can Persona 5 top Zelda and Yakuza 0 is a question for me.....

But the true question is if Persona 5 can top Persona 3? Can Joker dethrone Minato? Thats one of the big reasons why I'm so excited for P5.

Can Persona 5 top Zelda and Yakuza 0 is a question for me.....

But the true question is if Persona 5 can top Persona 3? Can Joker dethrone Minato? Thats one of the big reasons why I'm so excited for P5.

Minato isn't even cool anymore, Akira is badass. Seriously, though. I loved Nier, and Yakuza 0 even more, but Persona 5 has been on it's own level so far.

Setsu00

Minato isn't even cool anymore, Akira is badass. Seriously, though. I loved Nier, and Yakuza 0 even more, but Persona 5 has been on it's own level so far.

The interesting thing about Nier:A and P5 is that both games seem to have a thematical link, so I'm looking forward to seeing how P5 is tackling these ideas.

Nevertheless [Major Nier:A spoilers],
I doubt that P5 can beat the emotional impact of ending E

Minato was never cool. It's fitting he
became a door
because he has the personality of one.

FeMC is cool though

Rude.

The interesting thing about Nier:A and P5 is that both games seem to have a thematical link, so I'm looking forward to seeing how P5 is tackling these ideas.

Patently unfair. :p

I actually had the exact same thought!

NieR: Automata is about
continuing on despite crippling hardships, the worth of life, what it means to be alive, etc.

Persona 5 seems to be about
how to continue on in the face of hard ship, and how to never give up.

Mediking

Moreso that Minato symbolizes everything I love about Persona 3 FES and Persona in general. That's why I have him as my avatar for nearly everything.

I also love Persona 4 Golden. But I see Minato and Yu as equals of sorts. Brothers in two different yet similar worlds.

Looking forward to see Akira/Joker surpassing them both in Persona 5.

I actually had the exact same thought!

NieR: Automata is about
continuing on despite crippling hardships, the worth of life, what it means to be alive, etc.

Persona 5 seems to be about
how to continue on in the face of hard ship, and how to never give up.

When you put it like that,
P5 seems infinitely more constructive.

Moreso that Minato symbolizes everything I love about Persona 3 FES and Persona in general. That's why I have him as my avatar for nearly everything.

I also love Persona 4 Golden. But I see Minato and Yu as equals of sorts. Brothers in two different yet similar worlds.

Looking forward to see Akira/Joker surpassing them both in Persona 5.

Yu gets an unfair advantage due to
surviving.

(P5)
Though the sheer volume of shit Joker goes through will certainly be a big boost to him when comparing him to his peers.

So jelly of lucky NYCers and them always getting a store somewhere that breaks street date. :(

In all fairness, it is a big city.

*shifts gaze suspiciously to Toronto*

StereoVsn

The question is does he have more Swag then the King of Swag himself, Yu Narukami?!

Edit:
19e2xu667tvs8gif.gif

P4G just did such an amazing job with its cast that they genuinely seemed like a group of friends more then any other game I played. P3 was more of a forced thing due to circumstances (P3P was a bit better in that regard) that I am apprehensive that P5 went back to more of a P3 vibe.

I am sure it's going to be very very good game but can it reach heights of P4 as far as social interactions go?

bryt

Hey guys, if I'm planning to platinum the game it'll take 2 playthroughs right? That means I can just enjoy the first playthrough then focus on trophies the second run right?

Gestahl

The question is does he have more Swag then the King of Swag himself, Yu Narukami?!

Edit:
19e2xu667tvs8gif.gif

P4G just did such an amazing job with its cast that they genuinely seemed like a group of friends more then any other game I played. P3 was more of a forced thing due to circumstances (P3P was a bit better in that regard) that I am apprehensive that P5 went back to more of a P3 vibe.

I am sure it's going to be very very good game but can it reach heights of P4 as far as social interactions go?

I would not go into the game expecting the kind of alpha dog play that Charlie "Yu" Tunoku radiated at every turn. That was on a whole nother level (didn't he call Morooka out in like one of his very first dialogue choices? Guy was savage and couldn't be stopped)

Dantis

It's not even close. Like, not even the same stratosphere.

In my opinion, the emotional stuff in P5 is almost entirely in the first half. The latter end is largely JRPG fluff, and miles off the feels of Nier.

StereoVsn

I would not go into the game expecting the kind of alpha dog play that Charlie "Yu" Tunoku radiated at every turn. That was on a whole nother level (didn't he call Morooka out in like one of his very first dialogue choices? Guy was savage and couldn't be stopped)
That was for NG+ since you wouldn't have enough courage normally. But yes, Yu was a dang good MC and the whole cast was simply great and everyone had good social links. Non cast except for Sun and Daycare (Forgot the card) was also pretty good.

StereoVsn

I thought Yumi's S Link was great. :(
It wasn't bad but was kind of meh for me especially in comparison to some of the other S-Links. Then you have to remember there were 2 options for Sun and the other one was plain terrible.

Anyway hopefully P5 gets to the highlights of P4 and/or P3P.

barybll

Banned
Hey look, people are playing the game and agreeing with one if my complaints.

Who'd have seen that coming.

Told you that dungeon was kinda trash.

Those are the kind of things I think it might get marked down on. Still a great game though.

You are hilarious Dantis

That was for NG+ since you wouldn't have enough courage normally. But yes, Yu was a dang good MC and the whole cast was simply great and everyone had good social links. Non cast except for Sun and Daycare (Forgot the card) was also pretty good.

There were a few social links that I really didn't care for the first, second, or even third time that I've gone through the games, but I went back recently and reread the scripts for P3 and P4 and afterwards I literally couldn't think of one that I actually disliked now. It's crazy how my real world experiences and relationships have gotten me to appreciate some of these stories in a different way after meeting people in similar situations -- they're not too far from reality, IMO.

_Ryo_

I still gotta do that P4 NG+ play through. I've really only played the game once all the way through and didntneven do half the s-links.

But in just so bogged down in ps2 RPGs

I've been trying to play star ocean 3, dragon quest 8, tales of the abyss, final fantasy xii, and yakuza for like a year...

I have a problem with wanting to try a new (old) game as soon I get it instead of completing the one I'm on first.

Thankfully I'm in post game in DQVIII. Downside of that is I feel I'm not leveled enough to do some bonus stuff before getting the true end due to... a story mechanic.

Anyway, to get off that tangent. Once I get around to NG+ on P4 I'll try a max SLink run.

Tunoku

giphy.gif

I'm glad Nier 2 managed to be successful, especially after Drakengard 3 being kind of a bust. (Which is fine - it's impossible to really repeat what made the first Drakengard really memorable in a sequel)

DNAbro

Saw this clip of some of the voice acting
https://twitter.com/ZeoMassicot/status/845304086643695616

I really don't get why they pronounce it like that. Like no one stopped and said "hey this is wrong" or did someone just say "hey lets pronounce it differently because why the fuck not." Like I want to give Atlus USA the benefit of the doubt because usually they are great with their dubs and localizations but seriously why this?

Lunar15

I really don't get why they pronounce it like that. Like no one stopped and said "hey this is wrong" or did someone just say "hey lets pronounce it differently because why the fuck not." Like I want to give Atlus USA the benefit of the doubt because usually they are great with their dubs and localizations but seriously why this?

It's pretty dang shocking considering I don't remember too many mispronounciations in P3 or 4.

Not to mention, the whole reason they gave us for the delay to April was to ensure the localisation was up to a high standard. Womp.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's pretty dang shocking considering I don't remember too many mispronounciations in P3 or 4.

There's definitely some in P3 and P4, but nothing this egregiously obvious I think.

EDIT: That said, I haven't played through either game for a long long while, so I can easily be mis-remembering.

Nachos

Yeeaaahh... I cringed. Japanese it is.

Is this the same ADR as 3 & 4? What happened?

Same as P4G and all the spin-offs. I don't get it, either; they pronounce Mishima as Mashima. Only explanation I can think of is that they did it on purpose to try making it more accessible. Danganronpa 1's editor said NISA does that, at least.

But this is the company that insisted on trying to pronounce "samurai" closer to the Japanese way in both SMT IVs, so it's hard to get a gauge either way. It's not like most prolific voice actors aren't unfamiliar with the international phonetic alphabet, so it's not like it'd take too much time to get them to say something closer.

8 years, staff turnover, I guess... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Atlus has been using the same studio for all their marquee titles for over a decade, and it's always been owned by the same husband and wife duo. Pretty sure Yu Namba still goes on-site to monitor things, too.

Lunar15

There's definitely some in P3 and P4, but nothing this egregiously obvious I think.

EDIT: That said, I haven't played through either game for a long long while, so I can easily be mis-remembering.

I'm positive there were some in 4, but I've heard quite a few in just the clips of P5 I've seen far.

I don't remember anyone mispronouncing main character names in P4 though. We've already heard Takamaki, Sakamoto, and Kitagawa weirdly pronounced. At this point it had to have been a conscious decision.

All this said, we're putting 5 under an enormous amount of scrutiny. I picked up P4 on a whim after a friend said I should check it out. I went in with zero expectations whatsoever.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

That's, uh......yeah.

I'm guessing at least part of the delay must have been due to all the high-profile releases right after the February date, if stuff like that (which presumably takes place pretty early on in the game) go through.

I don't remember anyone mispronouncing main character names in P4 though. We've already heard Takamaki, Sakamoto, and Kitagawa weirdly pronounced. At this point it had to have been a conscious decision.

All this said, we're putting 5 under an enormous amount of scrutiny. I picked up P4 on a whim after a friend said I should check it out. I went in with zero expectations whatsoever.

I mean sure, some of this is just 'nitpicking' due to the fact that we're limited in what we can see/hear with not having the game, but that line is just....bad in a way that I recall very few of (and mostly relating to side NPCs) happening in P3/4 (though admittedly, it's been a while since I've played through them)

Nachos

You're right, but I don't think you can compare the environment P5 came out in to the one P4 did.

A lot's changed in 8 years, and while tons of people are going to be playing the series for the first time, there's still a large and constantly-growing segment of fans from the previous games.

wmlk

Haven't played Automata yet, but I've been a firm believer in it and Persona 5 for a long-ass time now. Still, I'm actually expecting that they are gonna feel like retreads of Replicant/Gestalt and Persona 4 respectively. That would be disappointing.

From all I hear, P5 is a more polished P4. I don't know if that's something that can make a lasting impression on me after 80 hours of playing, With Nier, even if there's some variation from the stuff I loved in the first game at least that is what makes it intriguing for me. At the same time, I know most people are going to love P5 because this is going to be their first Persona game.

I thought P4 improved a lot on P3, mainly the fact that it made the fact that P4MC didn't have any dumb backstory like P3MC. I really think that's what made me feel like Inaba was a real place, as I could project myself into it. I'll probably love P5 if it has that kind of improvement, and that's something you can only really tell after playing the game yourself.

vaporeon

I'm feeling the hype build up a bit. I think newcomers and nonregulars are going to rapidly pick up the pace getting into Persona 5 about 2 to 4 weeks after release. You guys are going to see a whole lot of fanart and fanmade merch for P5...or at least, I hope so. But I truly do believe it will catch on.

Goro is going to be sooooooo popular, prepare yourselves!

Not to mention, the whole reason they gave us for the delay to April was to ensure the localisation was up to a high standard. Womp.
That's what they want you think.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Man, going through P4G again makes me so sad that P5 is going to be on consoles lmao.

Handhelds make these games sooooooo comfy.

It's basically like taking a book with you, you can just pick it up and put it down whenever and wherever.

Goldboy

Man, going through P4G again makes me so sad that P5 is going to be on consoles lmao.

Handhelds make these games sooooooo comfy.

It's basically like taking a book with you, you can just pick it up and put it down whenever and wherever.

Yeah, Persona 4 Golden was a perfect game to take on the go. I'm also bummed that Persona 5 is going to be on consoles only.

Setsu00

Maybe Atlus Japan secretely hates USA branch and was trying to fuck with them

"Secretely".

Yeah, right.

It's obvious how much Atlus Japan hates their American branch. It's absolutely staggering how much work they put into promoting the game in China in comparison to the US (or Europe, but that's an entirely different matter).

Top Bottom