• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

There's a max confidant walkthrough on GameFAQS, but it recommends to play it on Safety because otherwise there's a risk to be underleveled or without enough money. I wanted to play on normal. How doable is a max confidant playthrough on normal? I kind of want to go in blind, but I wont replay this big ass game soon and I want to see most of the confidants on my first playthrough.

I wrote that. The way difficulty scales, there's a noticeable jump at every level. Even from Safety to Easy. It's simple enough on easy, but it will add hours to the game grinding in the little opportunities presented.

I haven't gotten feedback from people swinging it on normal or higher. I'm sure it's doable.

The thing is, I obviously wrote that not being at the peak of how skilled I can be at the game due to the language barrier.

Tunoku

I really hope the game unlocks at midnight over here in Europe. The plan is to get the digital version as well, since my SE apparently isn't shipping before Thursday that week.

silva1991

My Take Your Heart edition is supposed to be delivered on 16 and I can't wait that long.

Maybe I'll double dip and get the PS3 version digitally since it's cheaper.

One last game for my PS3

Tunoku

My Take Your Heart edition is supposed to be delivered on 16 and I can't wait that long.

Maybe I'll double dip and get the PS3 version digitally since it's cheaper.

One last game for my PS3

I'm all the way on the double dip train. My Take Your Heart edition is also only 70€ because I ordered via amazon france. They adjusted the price since then, but I'm still getting it for 70. So I can justify buying the game twice. Kind of.

Same. This game has been absolute perfection so far.

Although I personally don't believe any game could be perfect (haven't played this one yet!), it's extremely encouraging to read from a lot of western sites/media that this game is about as close to perfect as you can get.

I have little doubt that Persona 5 will be my personal GOAT. Can't wait for the review thread.

EDIT: Random thought. Review scores are silly, but I really wish people would stop viewing 10/10 as perfection. As I've said before, Michael Jordan is a 10/10 player compared to the rest to ever play. Doesn't mean he was the perfect player. From what I've seen, this game deserves the 10s.

On the topic of review scores, the confirmed embargo date/time is March 29th, 2017 @ 9:00 AM PST, correct?

Got the Review Thread header & all the formatting ready to go, just waiting at the starting line now.

Lunar15

The person at Gamespot who reviewed it seemed pretty dang positive.

I doubt we'll see BotW scores, but people seem to like this dang thing we waited 8+ years for.

Sophia

The person at Gamespot who reviewed it seemed pretty dang positive.

I doubt we'll see BotW scores, but people seem to like this dang thing we waited 8+ years for.

Well, I mean. It's a pretty damn good game with almost no flaws. The flaws it does have, for the most part, are more nuanced. Not like "Wow performance drops badly!" or "Wow, this part of the game completely sucks and ruins everything!"

Help, I'm having nightmares about being spoiled.

My brain is literally coming up with innocent looking spoiler tags and random, important sounding reveals beneath them.

I am fake spoiling myself in my dreams.

What the fuck, Persona.

Lunar15

Well, I mean. It's a pretty damn good game with almost no flaws. The flaws it does have, for the most part, are more nuanced. Not like "Wow performance drops badly!" or "Wow, this part of the game completely sucks and ruins everything!"

I'm definitely not surprised, the import thread pretty much eliminated the fear of any red flags.

But it's still cool to see outlets enjoying their time with it. It's always good to know that the thing we waited forever for is clicking.

My brain is literally coming up with innocent looking spoiler tags and random, important sounding reveals beneath them.

What the fuck, Persona.

I'm wondering about people getting spoiled at the stream on the 26th.

Malrend

What the fuck, Persona.

latest

Would being spoiled really impact your experience that much?
Being miffed about a lack of surprise is fair.. But if it is to the point of invading your unconscious processes, and potentially creating a state of anxiety regarding the game.. It might just not be worth the effort.

PK Gaming

What the fuck, Persona.

tumblr_mitbamryEg1qh9y1co1_1280.jpg

I know how patronizing this sounds, but you really should take a step back and calm down. Take a deep breath, and try not to stress over potential spoilers too much.

What the fuck, Persona.

Nah I feel you. You've gone this long avoiding any big spoilers. How shitty would it be to get spoiled this close to release?? The closer we get, the more caution I feel. Might have to bail from the Internet to avoid disaster lol.

I know how patronizing this sounds, but you really should take a step back and calm down. Take a deep breath, and try not to stress over potential spoilers too much.

I'm not stressing overly much, just found it funny that of all things, that was mixed into the dream I had last night.

I've been told that what I do know is relatively minor, and I have all necessary precautions to block/avoid more spoilers while finishing up my work on the OT.

Two weeks left and this won't matter nearly as much.

I'm not stressing overly much, just found it funny that of all things, that was mixed into the dream I had last night.

I've been told that what I do know is relatively minor, and I have all necessary precautions to block/avoid more spoilers while finishing up my work on the OT.

Two weeks left and this won't matter nearly as much.

I wouldn't even have time to play it until May at the earliest, and that first month post-Western release is kinda worrying me. Like, I got spoiled on Final Fantasy XV in the first week and I was not even looking for anything related to it.

Lynx_7

It's funny, I can't remember when I got entangled in spoiler culture, but I do remember not caring very much for it back in my childhood and early teens. I'd actively seek out spoilers for shows like One Piece when the subs were waaay behind the japanese episodes and it just made me want to watch the actual episodes more. Nowadays I get pretty bummed out about being spoiled. I guess I just saw everyone making a big fuss about the sanctity of an unspoiled experience and kinda assimilated the same values myself.

That said it hasn't been hard to aboid P5 spoilers. So long as you don't read youtube comments or streams you shoud be fine. I've barely even watched any P5 content at all since the last japanese PV anyway, so it's doubly easy for me. Just don't see much of a point in engaging with so much pre-release content of a game I'm already absolutely sure I'll buy.

Also good luck to anyone willing to pay the price of another P5 copy on all the cosmetic DLCs. Atlus remains pretty terrible with their practices there, I see.

It's funny, I can't remember when I got entangled in spoiler culture, but I do remember not caring very much for it back in my childhood and early teens. I'd actively seek out spoilers for shows like One Piece when the subs were waaay behind the japanese episodes and it just made me want to watch the actual episodes more. Nowadays I get pretty bummed out about being spoiled. I guess I just saw everyone making a big fuss about the sanctity of an unspoiled experience and kinda assimilated the same values myself.

That said it hasn't been hard to aboid P5 spoilers. So long as you don't read youtube comments or streams you shoud be fine. I've barely even watched any P5 content at all since the last japanese PV anyway, so it's doubly easy for me. Just don't see much of a point in engaging with so much pre-release content of a game I'm already absolutely sure I'll buy.

Also good luck to anyone willing to pay the price of another P5 copy on all the cosmetic DLCs. Atlus remains pretty terrible with their practices there, I see.

Spoilers are not deal-breakers, but it's been scientifically proven (by me about myself) that I enjoy plot points and revelations more if I didn't know about it beforehand. Those "now what do they do!?" and "WHAT THE F--" moments are like cherries on top of a cake of theme and characters. In the end, the cake being delicious is what matters but I'd still be pretty miffed if you ate my cherry.

About DLCs, Japanese games tend to be bad about cosmetic stuff, naw? In average I think they generally charge $2 per costume, and I always kinda wonder why there are usually little pushback against those. Maybe because these games are relatively niche?

asagami_

Banned
Spoilers are not deal-breakers, but it's been scientifically proven (by me about myself) that I enjoy plot points and revelations more if I didn't know about it beforehand. Those "now what do they do!?" and "WHAT THE F--" moments are like cherries on top of a cake of theme and characters. In the end, the cake being delicious is what matters but I'd still be pretty miffed if you ate my cherry.

Haha. This is so true for Persona 2. Especially for Innocent Sin.
The stuff is told about Tatsuya in school is so interesting, that for a moment you think he is the arsonist.

Malrend

Personally, spoilers have little influence on my experience.
This is in part because I attribute less weight and meaning to the "what", and more to the "how".. Other than that, already knowing some bits and pieces allows me to be observant of the whole.. Or so I feel.
In the end, since that first experience can never be replicated, I'll never really be able to know if I'd enjoy a game more if I went in "blind/spoiler-free."

Personally, spoilers have little influence on my experience.
This is in part because I attribute less weight and meaning to the "what", and more to the "how".. Other than that, already knowing some bits and pieces allows me to be observant of the whole.. Or so I feel.
In the end, since that first experience can never be replicated, I'll never really be able to know if I'd enjoy a game more if I went in "blind/spoiler-free."

Well, guessing the "what" is also its own fun. I guess that's a part of it, too. I like to observe every minute detail and speculate. Knowing the destination makes it too easy.

Malrend

Well, guessing the "what" is also its own fun. I guess that's a part of it, too. I like to observe every minute detail and speculate. Knowing the destination makes it too easy.

Oh certainly, my point in regards to the "what" and "how" was more that even knowing the destination doesn't remove the surprises found on the journey there. Nor does the destination necessarily present itself in the way one might have imagined it based on the information known.

I do agree that speculation is a good part of the fun though.. Especially if mystery is an integral part of the storytelling mechanisms.. Which it has always been to some degree in the Persona and other SMT series.

With a bunch of previews/reviews now out (which I'm avoiding for fear of spoilers), what's the general consensus on the English dub vs original Japanese? I'm not really sure which option to go for. I don't mind reading subtitles if the VO is superior, but if they've done a solid job with the dub, I'd be equally happy to stick with that.

asagami_

Banned
Eh, I pre-ordered the PS3 version without have a console. My cousin and a few friends have PS3's, maybe I can ask them about lend me for a month...

Or buy a cheap PS3. My birthday is at mid-April :(

Tunoku

There is also value to identify foreshadowing that you would have otherwise not caught. A good twist fits well into the overall narrative and doesn't have to come out of left field. But I'm definitely on the side of "I'd rather not know about it beforehand".

pablito

Nah I feel you. You've gone this long avoiding any big spoilers. How shitty would it be to get spoiled this close to release?? The closer we get, the more caution I feel. Might have to bail from the Internet to avoid disaster lol.

I just got spoiled lol. It was spoiler marked too, but the bulk of his post was about Persona 4 with proper tagging. No mention of Persona 5. Then the last tag was a Persona 5 spoiler. :|

My fault, though. Hasn't ruined anything for me, but it's still kind of a bummer.

With a bunch of previews/reviews now out (which I'm avoiding for fear of spoilers), what's the general consensus on the English dub vs original Japanese? I'm not really sure which option to go for. I don't mind reading subtitles if the VO is superior, but if they've done a solid job with the dub, I'd be equally happy to stick with that.

You're not really going to get that kind of take unless it's from a really niche outlet like RPG Site. As far as I know, the Japanese audio still isn't available for download for the advanced copies (no one who has it has brought up the dual audio). The only ones who would know what the JP audio is like are those that followed the game last year, and that is not the main stream gaming media.

Top Bottom