• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light was developed under awful conditions (Armed thugs, smuggling, more)

Jb

Jesus Christ :(

Now I feel obligated to pick it up at full price. God damn that sounds horrible, I hope Last Light does well enough for them and Koch give them more breathing room for whatever their next project ends up being.

God damn, it's incredibly impressive that they were able to create such a great game (or so I've heard, haven't played it myself) under these circumstances.

Hats off to A4.

I wasn't really interested in Last Light, but I will pick it up once I get a servicable PC now.

No doubt we need more free range games. And I'm willing to pay a premium for it. Sad thing is nobody is offering me the chance.

Aerons are over rated and over priced. Power does go out in Western cities but probably much less often, I know people in London who have had days off work multiple times because of power outages.

Damian.

Banned
That's just because of the cost of wages though. It's like when people say The Witcher 2 was a couple of million, yes, it was, but it's not like it didn't still take a full team a full dev cycle to build it.

I stopped caring about companies complaining about development costs when I watched a video from a CD from Playstation Club of the head of Naughty Dog speeding into the parking lot in his Lambo. Funny that this came right after an advertisement about how Piracy kills the industry. :p

antitrop

I had to look up Kevin Dent via Google as I'd never heard of him, which lead me to this article. It seems civility isn't his strong suit.

I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, but I always see his name attached to something really stupid. Usually an asinine tweet where he's trying to pretend like he knows more about the industry than he really does or something.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How in the hell do you even make a game under those conditions? It's amazing they could get ANYTHING done.

If bringing in new computers is a big deal, for whatever reason, doesn't saying "Hey we smuggled a bunch of computers into the country" after the fact seem like a bad idea?

Wthermans

Banned
Sorry the devs work in such horrid conditions but I'm still waiting for a $5-10 sale. As Republicans say, you choose where you work.

I stopped caring about companies complaining about development costs when I watched a video from a CD from Playstation Club of the head of Naughty Dog speeding into the parking lot in his Lambo. Funny that this came right after an advertisement about how Piracy kills the industry. :p

I really hope that was Jason Rubin.

damn.. i feel bad for buying the game for half price via ebay (bought nvidia voucher code that came with nvidia gpu)

i should buy the $5 ranger mode

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
damn.. i feel bad for buying the game for half price via ebay (bought nvidia voucher code that came with nvidia gpu)

i should buy the $5 ranger mode

Apparently there's some sort of config file you can edit to turn it on yourself.

I'm half Ukrainian, not surprised by this at all.

People there can make so much more with so little. And the mafia is everywhere.

+ the studio is located in Kiev, the richest and most beautiful place in Ukraine.

The country needs time to build itself into a better place to live. The potential is there that's for sure.

soapOD

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to identify that the industry in the developed world is full of inefficiency. Hopefully some lessons are learned from this; not just with how to treat your people, but with how do get a game done while wasting less money.

So their studio basically looks like their in-game interiors

They just laser scanned their offices and homes.

Well this really puts a lot into perspective. Even if the WiiU wasn't underpowered, in such conditions, it's probably for the better they didn't have to make another SKU.

Burt

It sounds like some inspiration for the harsh, depressing environment of the game came from a harsh, depressing, development cycle.

It's the Tropic Thunder of video games. Except depressing. And without RDJ blackface, presumably.

MrHicks

Banned
how are CDprojekt conditions?
witcher 2 had a low budget yet is better/looks better then pieces of shit with 10 times the budget

Fonz72

And this is why the argument that "AAA games will die next gen because development is too expensive!", is BULLSHIT!

When you have a group of dedicated passionate devs you can turn out a very fine product for a lower cost. Maybe not in the time frame many publishers want, but it can be done.

RoKKeR

Wow, horrible. So much respect for guys, managing to craft a wonderful game under such circumstances. Hope Last Light turns out good for them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
And this is why the argument that "AAA games will die next gen because development is too expensive!", is BULLSHIT!

When you have a group of dedicated passionate devs you can turn out a very fine product for a lower cost. Maybe not in the time frame many publishers want, but it can be done.

so do you imply that all devs should work for small salary + extremely long hours in horrible conditions just because you want publishers to spit out AAA games at fraction of their real cost?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
how are CDprojekt conditions?
witcher 2 had a low budget yet is better/looks better then pieces of shit with 10 times the budget

Notably better:

about-01.png

about-02.png

That said, CD Projekt spent over $10 million on The Witcher 2, which is much closer to like 1/3rd to 1/4th a major budget than 1/10th.

antitrop

I'm half Ukrainian, not surprised by this at all.
People there can make so much more with so little. And the mafia is everywhere.
+ the studio is located in Kiev, the richest and most beautiful place in Ukraine.
The country needs time to build itself into a better place to live. The potential is there that's for sure.

First we make expand, then defense it.

holy shit that's... fascinating.

Not that I had to deal with anything near what they have with thugs/bribes/etc...

But as an artist (MFA) some of my best work has come from working in the shittiest conditions and with least amount of support and resources.

Well they do say restrictions breed creativity.

Hats off to 4A for creating one of my favourite game series of all time and introducing me to the novel as well. Nice to see some passion in the industry still.

Top Bottom