• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light was developed under awful conditions (Armed thugs, smuggling, more)

EMT0

Banned
This isn't unique to the Ukraine either, it's fairly prevalent in many developing countries, which is a damn shame.

They definitely deserve the respect of every game developer out there for those experiences. Pretty crazy stuff. Makes me happy their game is being reviewed fairly well.

And fuck the use of Ukraine as "The Ukraine". Sorry, that just bothers me to no end.

Praise the Metro!

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
I am amazed at the number of people that are surprised that products that are not made in north america, western europe, japan and a few others, are made in terrible condition.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds pretty bad, but I'm not sure manual laborers (even in "first world" developed nations) who work 10 hours days in 90-100 degree summers for barely minimum wage are crying a river over folding chairs or generators. A lot of people suffer terrible work conditions and environments. Maybe the real story here are the offices with so much excess they can afford presumably 100's of $700 chairs and unused gyms.

Your premise is a logical fallacy and you should know better than to post such things.

0/10

hopefully they can make a good profit so everyone can make a vacation and a good bonus.

If the developers were in a sound enough financial position that extra money would fund a extraneous activity like a vacation instead of directly going to pay for necessities; there wouldn't be any need for this thread.

And fuck the use of Ukraine as "The Ukraine". Sorry, that just bothers me to no end.

Articles are good.

I read this this morning, honestly makes me want to track down one of the developers and shadily pass him $50 directly for a copy of the game. Come at me. Cut out all the middle-men so to speak.

They take chances on new IP's and single player games that no other publisher will touch. And they seem to allow great freedom to internal studio's that produce profitable games (Fallout: NV was contracted out to Obsidian, a independent developer). But they have contentious relationships with third party developers like Human Head and Obsidian. So, just don't be a independent studio and the relationship between you and Bethesda should be copasetic.

I see, well I think being bought by Bethesda won't be that bad right ?!

I thought about it, and I can't find any big publisher that would be interested, Ubisoft, Activision, and EA are all out of the question, Capcom, Sega, Square, and Konami seems like having trouble (maybe not Konami), Take 2 well not so sure about them supporting such a game, so that kinda only leaves Bethesda, unless Koch Media/Deep Sliver does it, and I am not sure they can relocate them or help them.

well from the bottom of my heart, I wish 4A the best, and I really hope one day we can see what they are capable of when given resources and opportunity similar to other studios.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm gonna buy this game now on PS3... wasn't even considering before. Just to see how they did with the game despite such harsh circumstances.

RoKKeR

I read this this morning, honestly makes me want to track down one of the developers and shadily pass him $50 directly for a copy of the game. Come at me. Cut out all the middle-men so to speak.
Totally agreed here, really hope the game does well enough to have a positive impact on 4A. They are clearly extremely talented and passionate about the craft.

spectros4

Neo Member
If 4A had been given a more competitive budget, in a saner environment, hadn't wasted a year-plus chasing the irrational requirement of THQ's original producers to fit multiplayer and co-op into the same deadline and budget(!), hadn't had to deal with the transition to a new publisher in the crucial few months before final, what could 4A have created?
Was the irrational requirement of multiplayer removed as a result of Rubin coming into the equation before the whole THQ collapse? Or was it because of something else entirely?

FGMPR

Banned
You do realize that graphics by themselves are not what makes budgets massive. Its things we all take for granted like orchestrated music, voice acting, artist, etc. I'm sure metro will be a decent game but it will probably lack the extra magic that other games have in other areas IMO.

Well, Metro 2033 has one of the best soundtracks of the past generation. Orchestrated soundtracks don't always fit the tone of a game, especially when you are dealing with small, claustrophobic environments. The extra magic you will find that differentiates these titles from other linear FPS games is based on talent and vision, not budget. STALKER, Cryostasis, 2033 have all shown this.

wutwutwut

How do working conditions like that still exist ?
If you're in the US, Canada, or Western Europe, it's very easy to live in a bubble of privilege. Most of the world faces such conditions, unfortunately.

(I'm one of the people who has a cushy job in the US and lives in a bubble of privilege. My biggest complaint is how my options for free company-provided dinner are Cambodian and German and I like neither of those.)

codhand

just read the whole thing, this increases my hype so much, mad respect for these guys, ukraine can be a rugged place. it sounds like they get the inspiration for their game's unrelentingly bleak atmostphere, from real fucking life.

The only thing for which 4A is getting more credit than I think they deserve is the creativity behind the ever frightening, dark, post apocalyptic environment of the game. I've been in Kiev to visit the team, so I know they just stepped outside for reference.

UFRA

WOW. Sounds terrible.

On a positive note I'm really enjoying their game.

This kinda makes me want to buy another copy just to support them.

I am amazed at the number of people that are surprised that products that are not made in north america, western europe, japan and a few others, are made in terrible condition.

Yeah maybe if we were talking about a factory for hair dryers or toasters. But video games? I generally don't imagine anyone in the software design/development business to be in crap conditions.

codhand

This kinda makes me want to buy another copy just to support them.

for real.

an older guy i work with is from ukraine, and i told this story a friend who visited ukraine told me, about the border, and how he was legit scared, between barbed wire fences, patrol attitudes, german shepards,

and i asked this co-worker, is that really what it's like??! and he was like, "yeah basically..."

I generally don't imagine anyone in the software design/development business to be in crap conditions.

exactly.

there is a real sense of nationalism when these countries like poland and ukraine develop these games, it's a source of pride for the whole country.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I've read in many other discussions about people who won't buy a game on principle, because they felt the developer or publisher was doing something wrong.

Hopefully some people will do the opposite in this case and support the developers, regardless of the quality of the final game. It's probably (but that's debatable) the right thing to do.

Yeah that sounds like Ukraine.

I used to live there and it's amazing how much my parents shielded me from all the crazy shit that went down near us. Political riots, the mob, the prostitution ring that was run by our neighbors, the drug deals that happened in the back court of our apartment, the bombing across the street, and we were in the "nice" "upscale" part of Kiev with all the other expats.

Looks like I'm buying this game sooner than I expected. The passion this guys have for the medium should be a lesson to a lot of professionals in this industry.

Jesus. I saw the reviews and thought I'd
want to play this someday. Now I'm definitely buying this game if only to see what these guys achieved under those conditions.

Never tried 2033 though. Maybe I should play that first.

I'm always impressed with what amazing games developers can produce using significantly smaller budgets, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. These extreme conditions are another matter, though. I guess it's not just a matter of how big the budget is, but how efficient and well-utilized it is.

Joni

The only thing for which 4A is getting more credit than I think they deserve is the creativity behind the ever frightening, dark, post apocalyptic environment of the game. I've been in Kiev to visit the team, so I know they just stepped outside for reference.
Ouch. :)

codhand

That last paragraph is a humorous exaggeration, of course, but there's truth behind the lie.

yeah everyone should just read the whole thing, it's great

this was a good comment

Richard Gardner
Artist

Crytek

Nice article, it brings up interesting points about resources available to different developers around the world. I don't understand why you don't get more studios targeting low living cost areas in nice areas of the world. I really find it hard to understand or justify studios setup in the most expensive cities in the world which end up having to pay staff crazy amounts. Whats worst is that high wage doesn't even go in the developers pocket as most goes on high rent and living costs.

so true how many companies in technology have the same idea; Austin Texas, or Silicon Valley.

yeah everyone should just read the whole thing, it's great

this was a good comment

so true how many companies in technology have the same idea; Austin Texas, or Silicon Valley.

Damn, it makes sense now. I don't understand why the industry don't look at places like Detroit...Not all of Detroit is in shambles.

FGMPR

Banned
Damn, it makes sense now. I don't understand why the industry don't look at places like Detroit...Not all of Detroit is in shambles.

You might have trouble attracting talent to move their though. At least in a city like Kiev you have a much larger populace to pick from and Kiev is the biggest and most prestigious city in a large area spanning a number of countries.

spwolf

You might have trouble attracting talent to move their though. At least in a city like Kiev you have a much larger populace to pick from and Kiev is the biggest and most prestigious city in a large area spanning a number of countries.

i cant imagine them paying programmers any less than $30k-$40k/year though in Kiev, if not more.

which is nice money in a city where average is probably 10x less and nobody pays any taxes.

as to the cold and small office, thats just bad organization. Cant imagine office rent being that high in Kiev, and while you can get aeron's in eastern europe, you can get decent chairs.

centralized heating doesnt work always? Get electrical, gas, or wood based heating in nicer office.

whole story about poverty stricken programmers developing AAA game on $ millions budget reeks of publicity stunt.

yes, they are cheaper than western (by a lot)... yes they live in not as nice country... but they are probably considered on very high income there, because their costs of living are also much lower than in US or Western Europe.

I have a co-worker in Ukraine that purchased brand new 2 bedroom apartment for $25k. I have another colleague who purchased 3 bedroom house for $1 million in SF.

Of course, this only "works" when you consider high paying jobs, such as programming. If you are unemployed and dont have such in-demand skills, then life might really suck.

I think he may mean something akin to, "not a lot of big games come from these countries... so it is like a national pride when one does."

Not sure if I agree with that though. I think the games though do have a certain edge, jank, seriousness/tone to them partially due to their area of origin though.

KKRT00

I think he may mean something akin to, "not a lot of big games come from these countries... so it is like a national pride when one does."

Not sure if I agree with that though. I think the games though do have a certain edge, jank, seriousness/tone to them partially due to their area of origin though.

Maybe in Ukraine, but Poland has been developing games since early 90s and currently releases 3 AAA titles per year, thats probably more than or equal to other western countries.

For example just this year it was/will be Gear of War: Judgement, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Dead Island Riptide and probably one more i cant think of now.

And smaller like Hellraid, Shadow Warrior 2 and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2

Maybe in Ukraine, but Poland has been developing games since early 90s and currently releases 3 AAA titles per year, its probably more than or equal to other western countries.

For example just this year it was/will be Gear of War: Judgement, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Dead Island Riptide and probably one more i cant think of now.

And smaller like Hellraid, Shadow Warrior 2 and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2

Very true.
Wouldn't happen to be from Poland.. would you? :D

Yeah I am, but it doesnt matter :) Czech is developing less games, but i've never write anything like guy i quoted. Its like they think we are 3rd world countries or something.

'tis silly.. i can agree with that. Also.. one of my favorite bands is from poland. So kudos!
Would you agree though with the idea that countries like poland or Ukraine offer a different perhaps "more serious" or "more dedicated" group of devs due to the working conditions, lesser pay or something?

All the games I have played from eastern devs seem to be a labor of love.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You do realize that graphics by themselves are not what makes budgets massive. Its things we all take for granted like orchestrated music, voice acting, artist, etc. I'm sure metro will be a decent game but it will probably lack the extra magic that other games have in other areas IMO.

Most modern western games are expensive purely down to the sheer number of people involved and the costs involved in supporting them. "Bells and whistles" are more costly in time than money.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Who do you think makes the graphics if not artists?

"Bells and whistles" are more costly in time than money.
Time is money since you either have more people working or the same people working longer...

KKRT00

'tis silly.. i can agree with that. Also.. one of my favorite bands is from poland. So kudos!
Would you agree though with the idea that countries like poland or Ukraine offer a different perhaps "more serious" or "more dedicated" group of devs due to the working conditions, lesser pay or something?

All the games I have played from eastern devs seem to be a labor of love.

They just dont have focus testing and bloated management, thats all :)
Its not about working condition or pay, at least not in Poland/Czech, dunno how it is on Ukraine, because they have different political and social situation.

spwolf

Yeah I am, but it doesnt matter :) Czech is developing less games, but i would never write anything like guy i quoted. Its like they think we are 3rd world countries or something.

well Ukraine is not CZ.

What people dont realize though, is that a programmer in Ukraine (and CZ) is paid really well compared to rest of population, so there is definitely no need to feel sorry for anyone.

good marketing pitch to sell more copies of the game
and it worked on me, not just the article alone but coupled with all the positive reviews. I was interested in the game but was going to wait for a price drop/used copy or borrow from a friend. After reading the article, I went out and bought a copy, to offer my support and just want to see what the team can achieve under those working conditions with little resources, also to see how it holds up against other AAA titles.

KageMaru

It's amsing what these guys are able to accomplish under these conditions. I really hope this game is a success for them and their work environment improves dramatically.

Top Bottom