• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU warns US it may respond swiftly to counter new sanctions on Russia

Buckle

You are asking the EU (which has already made some significant sacrifices to punish Putin's regime) to literally endanger itself and the economy of its member states just to get back at Russia.

It's nice to want things. But it turns out that the EU is concerned about its own safety, and energy is the one thing that Russia can use to screw with the Union barring another swarm of little green men, so maybe this isn't such a fantastic idea.
Yep. It was in a heat of the moment post where I had like five seconds of clarity telling me "don't press submit reply" before I did it anyway. Not my proudest moment.

Its a dick move to just tell the EU to fuck off without considering the big picture but it was a hard thing to read after all the recent talk of new sanctions on Russia and getting some small relief that our government is actually interested in repelling them despite Trump's completely transparent begging for them to get closer to us.

1) it affects Europe too
2) I'm not sure what Europe can do to stop it
3) This shows that the EU doesn't really want to stop Putin from meddling in EU and NATO affairs. It's penny smart but pound foolish to let Putin off easy. It will embolden him to meddle more directly in all of the EU affairs, and is definitely a low-key appeasement strategy.

Yeah, punishing companies of your alies is sure the best plan!

This is so totally not about Russia it's not even funny anmore. But nice how some Americans only need some trigger words to get in line.

Yes, which is why it would be pointless, and also why Trump would do it.

Perhaps it won't be pointless if he can convince them not to override it as It will hurt us diplomatically with both Russia and the EU. Though I doubt trump is mentally capable of using that argument.

Xando

3) This shows that the EU doesn't really want to stop Putin from meddling in EU and NATO affairs. It's penny smart but pound foolish to let Putin off easy. It will embolden him to meddle more directly in all of the EU affairs, and is definitely a low-key appeasement strategy.

This isn't well thought through by you.

EU sanctions russian energy sector to stop russia friendly populists -> Russia stops funding populists -> EU economy takes a large hit -> Russia friendly populists get elected during economic crisis

???

Do you realise Uranium is a relatively abundant material that you can source from multiple countries who are also allies? This is besides the point, nuclear power is not crippled by a lack of fuel.

I don't think you can handwave it away. Known uranium reserves last for 100-200 years at current usage. Convert away from fossils, meaning an order of magnitude more use, and that's a couple of decades. Then do a reassessment of the price and abundance of nuclear fuel.

But you won't because nuclear is panacea to you.

I mean the EU has to do what is best for the EU but that doesn't mean the U.S. should let Russia get free pass in their relationship.

I'm pretty sure the US promised they would not force the EU to sanction energy sources from Russia? When they wanted to impose Sanctions for Crimea.

1) it affects Europe too
2) I'm not sure what Europe can do to stop it

1) No shit, that's why we're already imposing sanctions
2) There are various ways named in the OP
3) Maybe it just shows that the EU rather wants to coordinate sanctions with the US instead of the US deciding on sanctions alone which literally endanger EU energy safety and coincidentally plays to US clients???

I don't really understand the outrage here. The US was probably very careful to not hurt major US companies when creating those new sanctions. Afaik they did not issue a blanket ban on any business with Russia. So why is it wrong when the EU wants to avoid damage for their companies, too?

KingV

I get that real politics aren't as satisfying as the US playing the big powerful guy here. But by harming your biggest allies you will only harm yourself. There are other, less flashy and way smarter ways to go about this.

Expecting smart politics from the US might be a bit too much though.

This Maybe is or maybe isn't true. I have certainly seen no alternatives offered other than to weaken sanctions because Merkel and Putin are good buds.

However, since the US President is a Russian agent there is nobody for Congress to coordinate with on it. Asking them to negotiate with the EU is sort of not really how the American institutions are set up. The President runs diplomacy, and wants to lift sanctions. So by default this is going to happen with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel.

oti

Banned
This Maybe is or maybe isn't true. I have certainly seen no alternatives offered other than to weaken sanctions because Merkel and Putin are good buds.

However, since the US President is a Russian agent there is nobody for Congress to coordinate with on it. Asking them to negotiate with the EU is sort of not really how the American institutions are set up. The President runs diplomacy, and wants to lift sanctions. So by default this is going to happen with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel.

Merkel absolutely hates Putin full stop.

The other part I can't disagree since I don't know better, though. Maybe the US is just incapable of doing grown-up politics and diplomacy at this point. We'll see what happens.

Too bad many on here already fall for these flashy sanctions though without realising how stupid they are.

Not to mention the Russians influenced the Brexit vote and tried hacking the French elections. Putin and his lackeys are an actual threat to global democracy.

Yeah, I'm also siding more on the side of, "This is your own fault EU for being so dependent on open fascists."

Lol. Obama tried to influence the Brexit vote too.

And you call out open fascists in Russia, ignoring Mr Trump and his jolly boys?

Not to mention the Russians influenced the Brexit vote and tried hacking the French elections. Putin and his lackeys are an actual threat to global democracy.

Yeah, I'm also siding more on the side of, "This is your own fault EU for being so dependent on open fascists."

To be fair we are moving away from the USA for that reason.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

EU diplomats have been negotiating these sanctions, though. The EU was alarmed when they began to come to light and made requests. Some were observed, some were ignored, but those changes were basically post fact. There was no coordination. Unlike previous sanctions, there was no joint effort.

Then there's this juicy little bit:

Because the sanctions measure also declares support for ”the export of United States energy resources in order to create American jobs," alarm bells have sounded in Europe that the bill is targeting Nord Stream simply so that U.S. industry can prosper. The Obama administration also fought the pipeline and opened U.S. natural gas for export, but it did so as part of a more cooperative approach with Europe.
This may be more about America trying to prop up its gas exports through sanctions than about punishing Putin. Buy from us/our clients or be sanctioned.

slit

I'm pretty sure the US promised they would not force us to sanction energy sources from Russia? When they wanted to impose Sanctions for Crimea.

Define "us", the EU? Because they are not forcing them to do anything. It would affect American companies and multinational companies with American subsidiaries from what I read. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Fergie

Banned
Keep the same sanctions but reduce Trump's ability to remove them?

Or have a chat with EU how they can punish Russia without impacting EU too much.

Basically anything to reduce Trump's ability to strip any sanctions would be good.

The other part I can't disagree since I don't know better, though. Maybe the US is just incapable of doing grown-up politics and diplomacy at this point. We'll see what happens.

Too bad many on here already fall for these flashy sanctions though without realising how stupid they are.

They probably want Europe to switch to a more LNG energy based economies,
don't forget US is pretty much a energy hyper power at the moment with shale gas and fracking.

Define "us", the EU? Because they are not forcing them to do anything. it would effect American companies and multinational companies with American subsidiaries from what I read. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
I meant the Eu.

I know you have a hard on for nuclear energy but please again link me towards a nuclear powered car or are you just ignoring my post as before?

This is about natural gas, not petrol.

"The EU should have moved away from Russian gas"

Please take a look at a world map, then take a look at a timeline.

Maybe then you'll realise that you are asking for a literal paradigm shift in terms of policy and economics (by peaceful means, no less) in record time.

The EU (well, some EU members at least) shouldn't be so reliant on Russian gas and Germany deserves to be tarred and feathered, but this is not something that could be easily solved and America can't expect the EU to jump on a grenade just to show Putin who's boss. It's literally asking the EU to make itself weak and sacrifice its own energy safety just to make a point.

Why is Germany going ahead with Nord Stream 2 even though it admits it needs to diversify its sources? Why is it buying even MORE Russian gas? Since the beginning, the EU has been complaining that they can't sanction Russia too harshly because of gas, and now they are buying even more?

Xando

This is about natural gas, not petrol.
No it's about oil and gas.

Why is Germany going ahead with Nord Stream 2 even though it admits it needs to diversify its sources? Why is it buying even MORE Russian gas? Since the beginning, the EU has been complaining that they can't sanction Russia too harshly because of gas, and now they are buying even more?

Because it guarantees cheaper gas since it doesn't go through poland?
You know what americans could do to convince europeans? Offer gas in a similiar price section as russia but of course that would go against the interest of american lobbies (which is the main reason for these new sanctions).

I actually get this but what's to stop Russia from just cutting off the supply to the EU any time it wants.

Energy exports are 50% of russias budget. If they cut off europe they can close shop.

oti

Banned
They probably want Europe to switch to a more LNG energy based economies,
don't forget US is pretty much a energy hyper power at the moment with shale gas and fracking.
What a nice, trustworthy way to go about it. Don't be surprised when people become even more anti-American.
How insane to you need to be to write down stuff like "to secure American jobs" in a document for new sanctions?
USA USA USA

Ryuuroden

You are asking the EU (which has already made some significant sacrifices to punish Putin's regime) to literally endanger itself and the economy of its member states just to get back at Russia.

It's nice to want things. But it turns out that the EU is concerned about its own safety, and energy is the one thing that Russia can use to screw with the Union barring another swarm of little green men, so maybe this isn't such a fantastic idea.

I actually get this but what's to stop Russia from just cutting off the supply to the EU any time it wants. I certainly hope the EU continues to diversify and work toward self sufficiency. Not just for the planet but also because I'm sure that when Russia finishes its diversification efforts with pipelines to China, they will start pressuring the EU more with energy cutoff threats and they will be in a better position to do so.

Honestly if you ask me, half the reason the EU is so gungho about green energy is Russia, the other half is climate change. The EU has multiple threats to its economy. This sort of thing is why I wish the US didn't have so much oil and gas because perhaps if we were much more dependant on others like in the 70s then there would be another reason to convince people with besides climate change to go green. Its much easier to convince people by hurting their pockets currently then tell them something is happening that will affect them in the future and it's happening in a way that people won't physically notice its a problem until its way too late.

Harmen

EU: Hey, this stuff is complicated. We already sacrificed a sizeable amount of our exports and we are dependant on Russian energy. We need to devise a careful plan for the next round of sanctions if we want to hurt Putin without accidentally damaging ourselves. We really shouldn't rush things. Let's coordinate.

America: LEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!

EU: fuck

Random American Gaffer: Man, those europeans are such a bunch of pussies.

Absolutely this.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Since the beginning, the EU has been complaining that they can't sanction Russia too harshly because of gas, and now they are buying even more?

There's virulent internal oposition towards Nord Stream 2. The EU is not a monolithic entity.

Italy's Renzi joins opposition to Nord Stream 2 pipeline deal
Estonia confirms opposition to Nord Stream 2 pipeline
Germany seeks to overcome opposition to Nord Stream 2

Nord Stream 2 is an extremely hot topic in European politics and it's foolish to believe that the EU as a whole wants to keep the current situation as it is. This is Germany wanting something and a whole lot of European countries, eastern to western, saying "fuck no".

Dopus

Banned
I actually get this but what's to stop Russia from just cutting off the supply to the EU any time it wants. I certainly hope the EU continues to diversify and work toward self sufficiency. Not just for the planet but also because I'm sure that when Russia finishes its diversification efforts with pipelines to China, they will start pressuring the EU more with energy cutoff threats and they will be in a better position to do so.

Honestly if you ask me, half the reason the EU is so gungho about green energy is Russia, the other half is climate change. The EU has multiple threats to its economy. This sort of thing is why I wish the US didn't have so much oil and gas because perhaps if we were much more dependant on others like in the 70s then there would be another reason to convince people with besides climate change to go green. Its much easier to convince people by hurting their pockets currently then tell them something is happening that will affect them in the future and it's happening in a way that people won't physically notice its a problem until its way too late.

Because they need the money. Especially in the face of new sanctions being imposed. It's what makes the world spin.

Ryuuroden

Because they need the money. Especially in the face of new sanctions being imposed. It's what makes the world spin.

Which is why I said Russia is working on pipelines to China. To be in a better position to strongarm Europe and make more money when not strong arming Europe.

kingkaiser

It's all about business though. The US just wants to brute force into the European energy market with their Fracking Gas. Sanction your biggest competitor into oblivion seems pretty convenient in this regard, just do not wonder if EU sees through USA's scheme.

avaya

I know you have a hard on for nuclear energy but please again link me towards a nuclear powered car or are you just ignoring my post as before.

Sorry missed your post. I don't understand why you say Nuclear car? The reason Germany is conflicted over this issue is because of natural gas. These sanctions have fuck all impact on the price of oil.

Renewable energy is the headless chicken? If you know something about science and energy you would knoe that gas power plants are typical mid and peak load plants - both fields where you don't to see any nuclear power plants operating.

Nuclear energy is not just sluggish and expensive but it would only cement the status quo while renewable energy is the only solution for co2 neutral and independent energy production.

This is a question of energy density. You simply will not have enough space to cover your shit in panels to keep up and match energy demand. Even before you get to that point you would have covered large parts of the country in solar panels. Nothing beats Nuclear on the fundamental question of what is the most efficient way to produce energy from a density point of view. That is why Nuclear will provide the bulk of power in the future.

Energy demand is important and is the reason why I said if you are anti-nuclear you are basically pro-poverty. Unless you discover new physics or anti-matter becomes viable you will not get better energy density.

Plants will be expensive but that is why governments have to guarantee the long-term decommissioning cost.

The hush hush conversation amongst environmentalists is why are they anti-nuclear, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I don't think you can handwave it away. Known uranium reserves last for 100-200 years at current usage. Convert away from fossils, meaning an order of magnitude more use, and that's a couple of decades. Then do a reassessment of the price and abundance of nuclear fuel.

Uranium isn't the future of Nuclear fuel. If you start building new reactors you have multiple different types of fuel that can be used. If your timeline is a 100yrs, you would be fully expecting Fusion and the only thing stopping Fusion is materials science, designing economically viable plating to withstand the neutron flux in plasma. Replacing Hastelloy-N is expensive. I mean I don't even have to be dreaming about this, the commercial design of ITER - DEMO - begins construction in 2030.

Nuclear is the panacea because it isn't a question of inventing new physics. It is trivial question of engineering.

Dopus

Banned
Which is why I said Russia is working on pipelines to China. To be in a better position to strongarm Europe and make more money when not strong arming Europe.

Whilst there are nuclear projects being developed throughout Europe and a larger push for renewables.

Xando

Sorry missed your post. I don't understand why you say Nuclear car? The reason Germany is conflicted over this issue is because of natural gas. These sanctions have fuck all impact on the price of oil.

This bill doesn't stop at natural gas. It also targets russian oil exports.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For those with some time to spare and some actual interest on why the EU happens to be so angry, I'd recommend this article: Nord Stream 2 will divide the EU, but new US sanctions will do more harm

Nord Stream 2 is a highly questionable project. Russian gas reaches Europe through a number of transit routes, primarily through Ukraine, Belarus and Germany. Gazprom says that Europe needs more pipeline imports because domestic European production is declining. But Nord Stream 2 would hardly unlock new Russian gas resources; instead it offers an alternative route for existing gas. Gazprom seems to see this as its primary benefit. The company has said it wants to stop gas supplies through Ukraine by 2019, as it questions Ukraine's reliability as a transit country.

But the subsequent loss of transit fees would weaken Ukraine's economy, decrease the beleaguered country's energy security, and so undermine the EU's policy towards Kiev. It also raises questions about EU energy security as nearly 80% of Russian gas exports to Europe would flow directly to Germany through a single set of pipelines. The pipeline would also increase Russia's sway over Central European gas supplies. Even the European Council's president, Donald Tusk, has written a letter criticising the project.
The Commission is right to complain. While Russia does not shy away from extracting political benefits from its energy exports, the Commission challenges Gazprom on legal and regulatory grounds, not political ones. By enforcing its ‘Third Energy Package', the Commission has had some success in conditioning Gazprom to behave like a normal market player, though more could be done. So far, the Commission's energy security policy has been based on market regulation, liberalisation and diversification, not on politicising supplies. But US sanctions would do precisely that. It would drag Nord Stream 2 into the geopolitical bear pit, an arena where the legally-minded Commission has a lot less clout.

There are also concerns about a hidden agenda in Washington. Donald Trump wants to adjust America's large trade deficit with the EU. Rather than raise trade barriers, Wilbur Ross, the US commerce secretary, and others in the administration, have suggested that Europe could correct the transatlantic trade balance by buying more US liquid natural gas (LNG). According to the International Energy Agency , within the next five years the United States will be among the three largest exporters of liquid natural gas.
Should Trump ratify the bill and use his new authority to put sanctions on Nord Stream 2, it would raise tensions with the Commission, Germany and others. It would also create yet another source of transatlantic friction, this time, tragically, in an area where Europe and the US have ample incentive to co-operate. That outcome would serve Vladimir Putin's purposes just fine.
The current opinion in European circles is that this is not about punishing Putin. Instead, this is being framed as "stop buying gas from Russia and buy it from us or else".

KingV

But she's willing to do business with him? So maybe her hate for him stops at her wallet?

The US probably IS incapable of doing grown up politics right now unfortunately. Putin is part of the reason for that. Best case is these sanctions get passed and get fixed by WTO actions, if necessary. I'm sure Red Don won't defend them in a WTO suit.

Perhaps because I'm living through Trump, I believe Putin is the #1 threat to western democracy. Personally, I favor sanctioning Russia until they are waiting in lines for toilet paper again and Putin either loses support and Russia get some decent leaders or Putin turns completely inward and stops trying to spread influence from his 2nd world backwater nation outward and becomes content with screwing over his own country.

I'm a bit surprised the EU is willing to do business with Russian companies after Brexit and France. You can't really separate Gazprom and Putin. Russia is a country built on graft and corruption. Doing business with any country is basically doing business with Putin.

Uranium isn't the future of Nuclear fuel. If you start building new reactors you have multiple different types of fuel that can be used. If your timeline is a 100yrs, you would be fully expecting Fusion and the only thing stopping Fusion is materials science, designing economically viable plating to withstand the neutron flux in plasma. Replacing Hastelloy-N is expensive. I mean I don't even have to be dreaming about this, the commercial design of ITER - DEMO - begins construction in 2030.

Nuclear is the panacea because it isn't a question of inventing new physics. It is trivial question of engineering.

Fusion, huh. Let's get back to that in thirty years in thirty years.

EU: Hey, this stuff is complicated. We already sacrificed a sizeable amount of our exports and we are dependant on Russian energy. We need to devise a careful plan for the next round of sanctions if we want to hurt Putin without accidentally damaging ourselves. We really shouldn't rush things. Let's coordinate.

America: LEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!

EU: fuck

Random American Gaffer: Man, those europeans are such a bunch of pussies.

Yeah I gonna go ahead and claim you're way underselling the nuance to the situation in America. Which is ironic since you're complaining that tthe US isn't considering all of the EU's issues with these sanctions.

Xando

But she's willing to do business with him? So maybe her hate for him stops at her wallet?

I'm a bit surprised the EU is willing to do business with Russian companies after Brexit and France. You can't really separate Gazprom and Putin. Russia is a country built on graft and corruption. Doing business with any country is basically doing business with Putin.

Russia and the EU weren't on bad terms until the Ukraine crisis.

The EU is on it's way to reduce energy dependence on Russia but you can't brute force this in 5 years (remember this is the 2nd largest economic bloc on earth).

For those with some time to spare and some actual interest on why the EU happens to be so angry, I'd recommend this article: Nord Stream 2 will divide the EU, but new US sanctions will do more harm

The current opinion in European circles is that this is not about punishing Putin. Instead, this is being framed as "stop buying gas from Russia and buy it from us or else".

It seems like a US power play and given the situation which country/bloc wouldn't make such a power play.

Which EU members has Russia attacked? And when has Russia attacked the US? Ukraine and Georgia are not EU members, not sure what you are referring to
A cyber attack is an attack. Attacking the foundation of a nation's democracy is an attack. Russia has targeted EU members.

Kind of surprised I need to explain that.

avaya

This bill doesn't stop at natural gas. It also targets russian oil exports.

Come on dude, the EU's opposition, or Germany's more precisely, has nothing to do with oil.

These sanctions have a negligible impact on the overall oil price because shale, Iran coming on line and a structural shift away to EV for the majority of new parc is keeping the price of oil depressed. Have a look at the forward curve on the WTI contract.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah I gonna go ahead and claim you're way underselling the nuance to the situation in America. Which is ironic since you're complaining that tthe US isn't considering all of the EU's issues with these sanctions.

There's not "all of the EU's issues". There's largely one: energy security.

It's a pretty big one. The bear in the room if you like.

It seems like a US power play and given the situation which country/bloc wouldn't make such a power play.
The last paragraph pretty much says why this is such a terrible idea.

slit

The US probably IS incapable of doing grown up politics right now unfortunately. Putin is part of the reason for that. Best case is these sanctions get passed and get fixed by WTO actions, if necessary. I'm sure Red Don won't defend them in a WTO suit.

Perhaps because I'm living through Trump, I believe Putin is the #1 threat to western democracy. Personally, I favor sanctioning Russia until they are waiting in lines for toilet paper again and Putin either loses support and Russia get some decent leaders or Putin turns completely inward and stops trying to spread influence from his 2nd world backwater nation outward and becomes content with screwing over his own country.

Honestly, I agree here. That would be the best that can be expected. By the time the WTO settles it Russia will have felt the pain but the EU would at least look like they are sticking up for Russia as dirty as that sounds.

And they are losing again.

It's like the actual generation of American politicans forget that bringing countries together with the same interest is what made the USA so succesful in the last 100 years. Now we have the kool aid drinking generation which really believes that the USA can act like a mafia boss.

Gen 4 Fast Breeding reactors will be able to drastically increase the useful yield of fuel (and therefore amount of reserves) while also cutting down on waste drastically. We should see these commercially available within 10-15 years and are one of the best solutions to provide 24/7 base load that is not CO2 based.

OT: Has the EU proposed any other solutions for increasing pressure on Russia? Haven't had time to look honestly.

KingV

So they're mad because this might force them to not build a pipeline that many people don't think should be built, and whose primary purpose appears to be to undermine the Ukrainian economy?

The argument against this is weak as hell. And anyone who thinks Trump is the mastermind of these sanctions hasn't been paying attention. He's not playing 4D chess here, because he's incapable of it, and is also against the sanctions bill.

Top Bottom