• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU warns US it may respond swiftly to counter new sanctions on Russia

Shiggy

The European Union warned on Wednesday that it was ready to act within days to counter proposed new U.S. sanctions on Russia, saying they would harm the bloc's energy security.

Sanctions legislation overwhelmingly approved by the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday has angered EU officials: they see it as breaking transatlantic unity in the West's response to Moscow's annexation of Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and its support for separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Brussels also fears the new sanctions will harm European firms with connections to Russia, and oil and gas projects on which the EU is dependent.

"The U.S. bill could have unintended unilateral effects that impact the EU's energy security interests," EU chief executive Jean-Claude Juncker said in a statement issued after a meeting at which European commissioners were united in their views, according to a senior EU official.

"If our concerns are not taken into account sufficiently, we stand ready to act appropriately within a matter of days. 'America First' cannot mean that Europe's interests come last," he said, mentioning President Donald Trump's guiding slogan.

The bloc, it says, will also prepare to use an EU regulation allowing it to defend companies against the application of extraterritorial measures by the United States.

If diplomacy fails, Brussels plans to file a complaint at the World Trade Organization. "In addition, the preparation of a substantive response that would deter the U.S. from taking measures against EU companies could be considered," it says.

Despite changes to the U.S. bill that took into account some EU concerns, Brussels said the legislation could still hinder upkeep of the gas pipeline network in Russia that feeds into Ukraine and supplies over a quarter of EU needs. The EU says it could also hamper projects crucial to its energy diversification goals, such as the Baltic Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) project.

The new sanctions target the disputed Nord Stream 2 project for a new pipeline running from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea. But the EU note says: "the impact would in reality be much wider."

Source: Reuters

200w.gif

I mean when Trump said America First, what did they expect?

That said, this was congresses choice. If it was up to Trump, he would probably remove some sanctions. Needs to keep his puppeteer happy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Maybe the EU should find a better source of oil than Russia.

This is the same reason the former Soviet states weren't offered EU membership or protections when they should have to prevent Russia from doing what they did in the Ukraine.

Everyone wants to take a hard-line on Russia with an understanding that they still need the oil.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I mean when Trump said America First, what did they expect? That said, if it was up to Trump, he would probably remove some sanctions. Needs to keep his puppeteer happy.

This isn't Trump. This is the Congress putting the hammer to Russia to prevent Trump from letting Russia off of sanctions.

Makes sense, Europe loves its Russian energy and the sanctions are a weird way for Congress to pretend like it has the ability to "punish" Russia in any appreciable way and score points against the Two Minutes Hate target of the month.

slit

I mean the EU has to do what is best for the EU but that doesn't mean the U.S. should let Russia get free pass in their relationship.

Pastry

Banned
I understand where the EU is coming from but Russia is actively trying to destabilize the EU all the whole selling billions in oil to them. EU has to find an alternative to Russian energy.

This isn't Trump. This is the Congress putting the hammer to Russia to prevent Trump from letting Russia off of sanctions.

I know. That's why I said if it was up to him he would remove the sanctions. Though I admit my sentence structure could have used better work.

V_Arnold

I mean the EU has to do what is best for the EU but that doesn't mean the U.S. should let Russia get free pass in their relationship.

Free pass would be if US lets the Russia-elected puppet to remain in place..oh wait, it does exactly that.

sangreal

the sanctions bill isn't happening anytime soon anyway

the senate wants to change it again and the house is leaving town Friday

jfkgoblue

EU complains that US isn't doing enough about Russia-> US does more about Russia->EU complains that US is doing too much about Russia...

So the only reason Brussels cares about Ukraine is because there's a pipeline there. It doesn't care about sanctions against the country that invaded the Ukraine, killed a bunch of its people then shot down a passenger plane full of Europeans.

What a world.

kess

"If our concerns are not taken into account sufficiently, we stand ready to act appropriately within a matter of days. 'America First' cannot mean that Europe's interests come last," he said, mentioning President Donald Trump's guiding slogan.

Gotta use that Trump slogan on something Trump doesn't even want.

Xando

This is the same reason the former Soviet states weren't offered EU membership or protections when they should have to prevent Russia from doing what they did in the Ukraine.

Everyone wants to take a hard-line on Russia with an understanding that they still need the oil.
Wut
300px-EU_Member_states_and_Candidate_countries_map.svg.png

Let's not pretend congress is doing this to punish russia but rather get additional business to their gas/oil clients.

All the reason Trump needs to veto and play it like he's the hero. His base will eat it up despite him shitting on Europe for so long.

I'm probably (See also; definitely) just an angry American when it comes to Russia but I don't really care if it effects Europe unless it's hugely detrimental. They attacked us. They attacked EU members. They are occupying Ukraine. It's time to get tougher with Russia. That being said, I hope we can find away to hurt Russia and not hurt the EU at all.

Pathetic. Absolutely Pathetic.

We'll sure get a lot done for securing the future of western values by only taking a hardline stance towards the enemies of liberty when it doesn't impact the Bottom-Line. Not.

Stop being dependant on Russia for energy, dumbfucks. You didn't rely in them during the Cold War, right? Because Jesus Christ, this is a 1:1 situation with, say, South Korea having an economy reliant on North Korean resources.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Willing the criticize the US until we ask them to stand by us after Russia compromises our elections.

Come on Europe.

I am sure Russian trolls are gearing up their online anti american posts to help push this new divide.

Dopus

Banned
You can always count on the United States to make a bad situation worse. Everything is so black and white.

Around 40% of natural gas that feeds into Europe is from Russia. There is a reliance on it.

Zubz

Banned
Dammit, Putin has them by the scruff, too. Just in a resource sense, & not a puppet one.

That said, I'm sure they can look for energy elsewhere. We can't let them get away with tampering with our elections. Putting that dipshit in the Oval Office is probably the beginning for them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
EU complains that US isn't doing enough about Russia-> US does more about Russia->EU complains that US is doing too much about Russia...

The EU has been asking America to coordinate the next round of sanctions against Russia because of this very reason.

Willing the criticize the US until we ask them to stand by us after Russia compromises our elections.

Come on Europe.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

Europe has already sacrificed a significant part of its agri and industrial exports and it did it willingly because it understood that something needed to be done. But sanctions also need to be coordinated and carefully laid out because it's one thing to take a hit for the better good and a very different one to outright endanger yourself. You don't cut the nose to spite the face.

zou

spineless fucks. who knew, phasing out nuclear would mean the energy has to come from somewhere. German government is dumb as fuck. Or maybe they like being in bed with Putin.

Shredderi

EU fucking needs to find another source of energy. It's mighty hard to stay hard against the country you're depending on.

gcubed

Let's stop nuclear and rely on Russia for our energy needs. This way the most we are comfortable doing is writing strongly worded letters when we are angry.

Dopus

Banned
EU fucking needs to find another source of energy. It's mighty hard to stay hard against the country you're depending on.

Sure, but that's going to take a while. I mean, we could get more from OPEC countries like Saudi or Libya. But then we're also supporting those regimes.

Hinkley Point is still under construction in the UK at least, and there are a number of other projects being planned.

Xando

Come on Europe.

I am sure Russian trolls are gearing up their online anti american posts to help push this new divide.

Are you really suprised europe isn't willing to take a hit after your leadership tries to sabotage the EU, is about to declare a tradewar with them, fucks them over in climate and europe generally is getting pictured as freeloaders after being at war for 10 years for the US?

No offense but there isn't much goodwill for the US at the moment

Energy is king. Sad to see.

It always has been, and it always will be. It is literally the single most important part of modern day economies, from production of food to durable goods to buildings to communication and computer networks to transportation and the supporting infrastructure. Where the energy that has been used to shape our world comes from directly determines our standard of living.

In the earliest era of human civilization, it was from slaves, hunting companions, and livestock animals. During that era, the average standard of living was low. As energy has become more accessible and cheap allowing for automation to replace the aforementioned, the average standard of living has increased drastically. The next improvement obviously comes in the form of negating negative environmental and climate-impacting externalities. When those are addressed, our standard of living will get even better on average.

It's always easy playing the tough man if there is an entire ocean between oneself and the other guy.
Not even talking about the obvious business interests.

Europe has all rights to be pissed about the USA. Business is the base for all further diplomacy, it doesn't surprise GAF doesn't get it.

trembli0s

The EU has been asking America to coordinate the next round of sanctions against Russia because of this very reason.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

Europe has already sacrificed a significant part of its agri and industrial exports and it did it willingly because it understood that something needed to be done. But sanctions need to be coordinated and carefully laid out because it's one thing to take a hit for the better good and a very different one to outright endanger yourself. You don't cut the nose to spite the face.

Then Europe shouldn't have expanded the EU ever eastward without taking on the explicit commitment to protect places like Ukraine and other former Societ bloc nations. Increased sanctions have been on the table since the election took place in November and it's not like they couldn't assign a liaison to Congress in order to find out EXACTLY what they were going to pass.

This is a chickenshit move for a continent that's busy tooting its own horn about banning petrol vehicles.

Bashtee

Name one. Russia is a politically very stable country and has a location advantage over all competitors.

There are no general problems with the sanctions themselves. The problem is that Trump doesn't communicate with EU on these things, breaking the frontline to Russia.

Putin has truly won, he successfully disrupted the alliance between the EU and USA on all levels.

Top Bottom