• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Oh, well I would get the Alienware, if it's cheaper. I don't think youu'd be disappointed going either way, so you might as well save some money.

Well I just ordered a refurbished Alienware 15 R3 1070 with a 6700 for about £1330. I'll report back when I get it, hopefully it's good.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Am I able to put 32GB RAM into my HP Omen 17?
A spreadsheet says only the the Kabylake supports it, but that can't be right... why would that be the case?

I want to go mental with VMs

So I read a post on HP's site forum, where someone on staff also said that 2 x 8 is the max, but I don't get why that would be. HP would've had to purposely limit that in the BIOS or mobo, because it isn't a limitation of Skylake chipsets.

My Skylake equipped GT73VR supports 64GB of RAM across 4 DIMMs, so 16GB sticks are compatible.

Were I you, I'd buy a 16GB stick from Amazon, because if it doesn't work, you can easily return it.

Well I just ordered a refurbished Alienware 15 R3 1070 with a 6700 for about £1330. I'll report back when I get it, hopefully it's good.

Sounds like a good price.

It's a good laptop, though I wish you could have an unlocked CPU.

Sounds like a good price.

It's a good laptop, though I wish you could have an unlocked CPU.

Missed my chance to pickup a 6800k processor. When I went to buy a refurbished laptop, only 3 Alienwares were left. Two are the 1070 6700 processor while there was a 7700 but it has an AMD graphics card
why
. Hope this doesn't bottleneck my laptop.

K.Jack

Missed my chance to pickup a 6800k processor. When I went to buy a refurbished laptop, only 3 Alienwares were left. Two are the 1070 6700 processor while there was a 7700 but it has an AMD graphics card
why
. Hope this doesn't bottleneck my laptop.

On a 60Hz screen, the 1070 will be pushing 60fps too easily, for you to ever notice a bottleneck.

Izuna

Banned
So I read a post on HP's site forum, where someone on staff also said that 2 x 8 is the max, but I don't get why that would be. HP would've had to purposely limit that in the BIOS or mobo, because it isn't a limitation of Skylake chipsets.

My Skylake equipped GT73VR supports 64GB of RAM across 4 DIMMs, so 16GB sticks are compatible.

Were I you, I'd buy a 16GB stick from Amazon, because if it doesn't work, you can easily return it

Ah, that's a good idea. I should the report 24GB

I need to test if 2400MHz works. I think it does but I gotta double check (the sticks I have are 2x4 2400 and CPU-Z reports 1x1100 so...)

K.Jack

Ah, that's a good idea. I should the report 24GB

I need to test if 2400MHz works. I think it does but I gotta double check (the sticks I have are 2x4 2400 and CPU-Z reports 1x1100 so...)

CPU-Z is just showing the current idle clocks, right now my DDR4 is sitting at 1196.8MHz.

Izuna

Banned
No idea, is that how it works?

System RAM is the one thing I just don't pay attention to, because it rarely matters.

Should be.

Anyway, I guess there aren't any guides for this stuff. I'll post when I get around to it.

I meant to say 2200 (dunno why I halved it)

Izuna

Banned
Multiply the ram speed by 2 because it's called double data rate (DDR) RAM.
1066mhz = 2133mhz RAM
1200mhz = 2400mhz RAM
Don't know anything about 1100/2200, there shouldn't be such a speed.🤔

I think I am merely being silly and can't remember *runs it now*

Yeah, 1197

So this should mean that my laptop CAN do 2400MHz right? Why do they lie in the spec?

madmook

I think I am merely being silly and can't remember *runs it now*

Yeah, 1197

So this should mean that my laptop CAN do 2400MHz right? Why do they lie in the spec?
Is this your laptop? https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17-i7-6700HQ-GTX-1070-Notebook-Review.181824.0.html
Because they have screens of cpu-z and it also shows the RAM running at 2400mhz. So looks like you're not just imagining things.

Dave Lees 1000 dollars gaming laptop round up;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwMlYMMSnI

It's pretty clear to me, that the Dell is a winner. I also really like the design language on it. I find many of the others to be ugly. I despise the MSI and Acer logos. I hate the Gigabyte keyboard font.
Dell is taking their sweet time to ship my 7567. Configured mine with that IPS screen! I've been watching and reading all the reviews I can find on the 7567, trying to justify my purchase before I even get the damn thing. 😬

Izuna

Banned
Is this your laptop? https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17-i7-6700HQ-GTX-1070-Notebook-Review.181824.0.html
Because they have screens of cpu-z and it also shows the RAM running at 2400mhz. So looks like you're not just imagining things.

7uOv2ju.png

yeah

so I think this manual is full of shit. If I can get 32GB RAM running that would be nice (and worth the extra £100)

(I have a Skylake in this)

edit: this link you sent is amazing, thank you

------------

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3540839

I can't believe this is a laptop, and it isn't even super heavy...

7uOv2ju.png

yeah

so I think this manual is full of shit. If I can get 32GB RAM running that would be nice (and worth the extra £100)

(I have a Skylake in this)

edit: this link you sent is amazing, thank you

------------

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/3540839

I can't believe this is a laptop, and it isn't even super heavy...

Where did you find the laptop at such a good price? All the good price ones I find on eBay are collection only and 300 miles away

Izuna

Banned
Where did you find the laptop at such a good price? All the good price ones I find on eBay are collection only and 300 miles away

I was haggling prices for like 2 weeks and couldn't decide between one Alienware 15R3 or the refurb Omen for £1200... This one had Skylake so I wasn't going to buy it (and it was priced the same so...)

The guy then listed the laptop on Gumtree and I asked if he could lower the price if I paid PayPal gift imminently (and it came with all the goodies too).

I'm shocked at how good the condition of everything was, I'm not even sure if he used the mouse. I put family sharing on the Steam account so I sort of absorbed the games (since selling it is a pain and against ToS).

I have to say, while I don't mind the keyboard itself, or the trackpad (gestures are nice actually), the light is unfortunate. Turning it off gives it this dark red rim, so you gotta keep it on haha.

I was haggling prices for like 2 weeks and couldn't decide between one Alienware 15R3 or the refurb Omen for £1200... This one had Skylake so I wasn't going to buy it (and it was priced the same so...)

The guy then listed the laptop on Gumtree and I asked if I could lower the price if I paid PayPal gift imminently (and it came with all the goodies too).

I'm shocked at how good the condition of everything was, I'm not even sure if he used the mouse. I put family sharing on the Steam account so I sort of absorbed the games (since selling it is a pain and against ToS).

I have to say, while I don't mind the keyboard itself, or the trackpad (gestures are nice actually), the light is unfortunate. Turning it off gives it this dark red rim, so you gotta keep it on haha.

That's cool! I saw some great alienware outlet deals but they are all gone now i have been paid.

I currently have an ASUS GL552 that I got last year and it was only £700, I was sure the guy was selling me a lemon but I took the chance and it was not even unboxed and came with headset mouse and backpack.

I want to upgrade now though that the 10 series cards are such a huge upgrade for gaming.

Izuna

Banned
That's cool! I saw some great alienware outlet deals but they are all gone now i have been paid.

I currently have an ASUS GL552 that I got last year and it was only £700, I was sure the guy was selling me a lemon but I took the chance and it was not even unboxed and came with headset mouse and backpack.

I want to upgrade now though that the 10 series cards are such a huge upgrade for gaming.

Yeah, you can find some sweet deals if you're willing to look.

The best deal was the Surface Book return for £1200, which after a year I got it replaced with MS (warranty, fix the dead pixels and replace power supply which broke) and sold it on for £1500. Goodies aside (and fees), I made a profit of £180 haha.

Real estate at 1080p is better than I though coming from the Book.

That's amazing haha

I'm right around 1k for a budget and don't want to end up pushing £1500

A 1060 6GB is going to be fine for a couple of years at 1080p isn't it? I keep trying to push to a 1070 but it seems almost unnecessary.

Izuna

Banned
That's amazing haha

A 1060 6GB is going to be fine for a couple of years at 1080p isn't it? I keep trying to push to a 1070 but it seems almost unnecessary.

1060 at 1080p/High should last couple of years, yes... But some games are just below 60 so you might have to reduce the resolution within that time

K.Jack

The guy then listed the laptop on Gumtree and I asked if he could lower the price if I paid PayPal gift imminently (and it came with all the goodies too).

I have to recommend, that you never do the Paypal gift thing again, because you lose all of your purchase protection.

The guy could've sent you a box of bricks, and you'd have had no way to get your money back.

That's amazing haha

The 1060 will be good at 1080p, at least a couple of years into the Playstation 5's generation.

Tbh people way underestimate the power of the 1060. Digital Foundry even tested it at 1440p, and it didn't disappoint.

Izuna

Banned
I have to recommend, that you never do the Paypal gift thing again, because you lose all of your purchase protection.

The guy could've sent you a box of bricks, and you'd have had no way to get your money back.

Yeah well, it was a risk, lol

Tbf I talked to him for some time so I at least knew the laptop existed.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey can anybody who knows their shit think this an OK laptop for Media use

YouTube, Facebook, Blu-Ray rips, pictures, usual casual stuff
Maybe that GTX I can at least play on Mid settings on Steam perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT4A2R4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The review says it comes with an extra bay to slot in another drive, which I have an extra 500GB 2.5 had

Trying to spend $500-$600 and have this last me a few years for the things I mentioned!

My HP got cracked by moms dropping it and my Sony Vaio is ancient, hitting 10 years almost and wheezing to even do regular stuff

So this look good?

The 1060 will be good at 1080p, at least a couple of years into the Playstation 5's generation.

Tbh people way underestimate the power of the 1060. Digital Foundry even tested it at 1440p, and it didn't disappoint.

I think you guys are over inflating the GTX 1060 capabilities. I have a laptop with one in it and I already had to drop settings to med at 1080p to get decent performance. Hitman 2016, mass effect Andromeda, far cry 4, and deux ex humankind divided all ran ok on med settings. Will it last for two years to play triple AAA games? Sure. Will it play them at decent settings with good performance? No. I regret choosing form factor over performance to be honest. My options were either the Alienware 15(GTX 1070) or 13. But I choose the 13 since I wanted to carry my laptop with me. Ended up as a desktop replacement lol.

The review says it comes with an extra bay to slot in another drive, which I have an extra 500GB 2.5 had

Trying to spend $500-$600 and have this last me a few years for the things I mentioned!

My HP got cracked by moms dropping it and my Sony Vaio is ancient, hitting 10 years almost and wheezing to even do regular stuff

So this look good?
I would stay away from any gt 900 cards especially that 940mx since there is a replacement on the way with Much better performance. I think overwatch could ran on the laptop on 720p but I wouldn't recommend it.

taparoo

So this look good?

This laptop will be great for your purposes, especially if you're able to drop that extra HDD in there. The 940mx can run modern, well optimized games at medium - low settings usually, just don't expect any miracles. I have a very similarly specced Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with a 940m, and I can play CS:GO, GTA5, Rocket League, and Overwatch, but the only reason to do it is if I'm away from home and don't have access to my consoles or gaming rig.

Another poster suggested waiting until new cards come out, and if you want something that will last you 3+ years it may be worth it to wait a little while. But if you're not planning on doing much gaming and need the laptop now, the rig you linked is solid and you likely won't find anything much better at that price point. Plus, if new low-end cards do come out, the rigs they are in will likely be around $700+ which might be out of your budget.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I would stay away from any gt 900 cards especially that 940mx since there is a replacement on the way with Much better performance. I think overwatch could ran on the laptop on 720p but I wouldn't recommend it.

Well Steam really is an afterthought, I'm not trying to run Ultra High over here
Just what's in my Steam library, I think I have close to or over 300 games roughly, played 1

I just want to do those other things
If I can stream 1080p, I'm good!

It's really a media piece for the living room, my Mom is computer illiterate, makes me do all the things, like load up Facebook etc on our 65" Plasma (haha)
Then she scrolls to her hearts desire, also wants to watch movies from her Bollywood Box channel she has

So it would just be like 95% that, 5% blue moon on bloody Tuesday when the howls of a banshee could be heard that I'll ever play games on it
Most Steam games are on my PS4, those Humble Bundles fucking add up!

Take a look:
https://steamdb.info/calculator/76561197999859071/?cc=us

This laptop will be great for your purposes, especially if you're able to drop that extra HDD in there. The 940mx can run modern, well optimized games at medium - low settings usually, just don't expect any miracles. I have a very similarly specced Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with a 940m, and I can play CS:GO, GTA5, Rocket League, and Overwatch, but the only reason to do it is if I'm away from home and don't have access to my consoles or gaming rig.

Another poster suggested waiting until new cards come out, and if you want something that will last you 3+ years it may be worth it to wait a little while. But if you're not planning on doing much gaming and need the laptop now, the rig you linked is solid and you likely won't find anything much better at that price point. Plus, if new low-end cards do come out, the rigs they are in will likely be around $700+ which might be out of your budget.

Cool, yeah I'm not really itching as stated above that I'll be gaming vigorously at all
Just back up

Have too much on my PS4 plate

Only thing I might ask is no reason to jump to the i7 for $50 extra?
Is it worth it

I know future proofing in laptops is lol, but if this can just be media consumption for 3+ years I'm good!

I think you guys are over inflating the GTX 1060 capabilities. I have a laptop with one in it and I already had to drop settings to med at 1080p to get decent performance. Hitman 2016, mass effect Andromeda, far cry 4, and deux ex humankind divided all ran ok on med settings. Will it last for two years to play triple AAA games? Sure. Will it play them at decent settings with good performance? No. I regret choosing form factor over performance to be honest. My options were either the Alienware 15(GTX 1070) or 13. But I choose the 13 since I wanted to carry my laptop with me. Ended up as a desktop replacement lol.

I ended up going for the 1070 in a 15" alienware, they are selling off the i7-6thgen ones just now so you get a fairly hefty discount. They are still expensive clearly but I stretched my budget and went for it since I am hoping this thing will last me 3 years.

The difference from a fully spec'd 13 and the 15 I ended up buying was only £100 and I decided it was worth it for the 1070.

It will mostly be on a desk but I'll actually move it around the house a fair bit and it will travel a small amount in EU.

K.Jack

I'm not sure how I can be "over inflating", when I'm providing actual, real life benchmarks. Everything in that video was tested as 1440p/Ultra, including Hitman.

I'm not sure how I can be "over inflating", when I'm providing actual, real life benchmarks. Everything in that video was tested as 1440p/Ultra, including Hitman.

I wonder if he has a 960 lol. Those numbers seem in line with a non-pascal card (medium settings on 1080p). You should be running almost anything fine at 1080p on ultra

I wonder if he has a 960 lol. Those numbers seem in line with a non-pascal card (medium settings on 1080p). You should be running almost anything fine at 1080p on ultra

I know what my laptop has, it's the loaded up 2017 Alienware 13 R3. By decent performance I meant locked 60 FPS. Games like Mass Effect drop a lot from 60 FPS on high settings, and I have to put it on med settings. I just started playing Hitman and I had to drop settings to high med to achieve locked 60 FPS. And, no my laptop is fine and not throttling when the temps never go over 80c. If you can tolerate variable fame rates the GTX 1060 is fine, but I am pretty sensitive to it. I much prefer locked 30 FPS over jittery 40 FPS -60 FPS. My laptop doesn't have G sync obviously.

hampig

Hello, I hope you guys can help me because I have never bought a new computer before. I'd really appreciate anything you can tell me.

Maximum budget: $1,200
Screen size: ~15"
Planned usage: Mostly Visual Studio, developing websites, Photoshop, Unity for small-scale 2D development, and if I could run Heroes of the Storm well on low I'd be happy, but it's not a dealbreaker if I can't.
Whatever else you find relevant: I want at least 5 hours of battery life, and would prefer it to not get too hot.

Glaurungr

I'd like some help, if possible. I'm looking at getting either (links are to Norwegian store) the HP Omen 17-w204 17.3" or the ASUS ROG GL702VM 17.3". They're both on sale, and they both have more or less the same specs (only 8 GB RAM in the ASUS, though it's a bit lighter). Any reason I should choose one over the other (or not go for either)?

The omen looks better in my opinion and has 8GB more ram. I currently have a 15" asus and it is good but I'm not a fan of the bright red WASD keys, on my model they just have red on the underside which is much better.

Someone further up just bought a 17" omen so check out their posts and maybe they will have an opinion too.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yeah it could have tripped your fraud protection, which can be rectified by contacting the CC company, and telling them to clear any transaction that's about to be made. I had the same issue, when I was trying to purchase a Galaxy Note 7.
In the end got the Alienware 15 R3 with a 7700HQ, 1070,16GB RAM and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, and I'm really loving it thus far. It even has GSync and Tobii which I thought this model wouldn't have since it's not mentioned anywhere in the BestBuy page.
Hardware-wise it is quite the jump from my 5 year old Precision M6700 which has a 3720QM and a FirePro M6000, only annoyance is that it has fewer USB-A ports (only 2 on the Alienware vs 5 on the old one), but otherwise no complaints, especially the pretty comparable build quality which is *really* nice and one of the things I most dreaded when getting a new machine.

So yeah, not enough thanks for the recommendation :D

Hey so K.Jack I'm looking to put in my order for my MSI sometime this month but I've got a problem.
I want to get the MSI GE72mvr which can come with an IPS 4k 100% RGB screen. At least according to the MSI website. But the only store options seem to be 120hz 1080p.

It doesn't look like you can order from MSI directly as their site only takes me to resellers so what would be the best way to grab one of these. And roughly how much more would it run me to get the 4k over the 120HZ.
EDIT: Should also mention the 4k option isn't mentioned on the canadian MSI site. But that shouldn't stop them from being able to grab one for me right?
Thinking of getting in contact with Canada Computers and having them contact MSI but I'd rather have no middle man.

enoki

I wanted to pop back in and praise the GE62VR Apache Pro-026 again if anyone is on the fence.

A few months in, and not a single issue or concern. Coming from an ASUS G72GX, it's just been an incredible machine. It's light enough to take to school daily, doesn't have a "NOSCOPE GAMER" chassis, and runs cool and quiet.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase. :')

K.Jack

I know what my laptop has, it's the loaded up 2017 Alienware 13 R3. By decent performance I meant locked 60 FPS. Games like Mass Effect drop a lot from 60 FPS on high settings, and I have to put it on med settings. I just started playing Hitman and I had to drop settings to high med to achieve locked 60 FPS. And, no my laptop is fine and not throttling when the temps never go over 80c. If you can tolerate variable fame rates the GTX 1060 is fine, but I am pretty sensitive to it. I much prefer locked 30 FPS over jittery 40 FPS -60 FPS. My laptop doesn't have G sync obviously.

Okay, I get your perspective now.

I certainly won't claim the 1060 is an "Ultra/60fps" card, long term. It can not maintain a minimum fps of 60, on the highest settings.

Anyone seeking a 100% locked 60+ fps experience, should buy a 1070.

It's impossible for me to not consider the 1060 a powerful card, though.

Hello, I hope you guys can help me because I have never bought a new computer before. I'd really appreciate anything you can tell me.

Maximum budget: $1,200
Screen size: ~15"
Planned usage: Mostly Visual Studio, developing websites, Photoshop, Unity for small-scale 2D development, and if I could run Heroes of the Storm well on low I'd be happy, but it's not a dealbreaker if I can't.
Whatever else you find relevant: I want at least 5 hours of battery life, and would prefer it to not get too hot.
this is an amazing deal, if you can get to a Microcenter.

I'd like some help, if possible. I'm looking at getting either (links are to Norwegian store) the HP Omen 17-w204 17.3" or the ASUS ROG GL702VM 17.3". They're both on sale, and they both have more or less the same specs (only 8 GB RAM in the ASUS, though it's a bit lighter). Any reason I should choose one over the other (or not go for either)?

The ASUS has 120Hz G-Sync

That means it wins automatically.
In the end got the Alienware 15 R3 with a 7700HQ, 1070,16GB RAM and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, and I'm really loving it thus far. It even has GSync and Tobii which I thought this model wouldn't have since it's not mentioned anywhere in the BestBuy page.
Hardware-wise it is quite the jump from my 5 year old Precision M6700 which has a 3720QM and a FirePro M6000, only annoyance is that it has fewer USB-A ports (only 2 on the Alienware vs 5 on the old one), but otherwise no complaints, especially the pretty comparable build quality which is *really* nice and one of the things I most dreaded when getting a new machine.

So yeah, not enough thanks for the recommendation :D

Glad you're enjoying it.

Hey so K.Jack I'm looking to put in my order for my MSI sometime this month but I've got a problem.
I want to get the MSI GE72mvr which can come with an IPS 4k 100% RGB screen. At least according to the MSI website. But the only store options seem to be 120hz 1080p.

It doesn't look like you can order from MSI directly as their site only takes me to resellers so what would be the best way to grab one of these. And roughly how much more would it run me to get the 4k over the 120HZ.
EDIT: Should also mention the 4k option isn't mentioned on the canadian MSI site. But that shouldn't stop them from being able to grab one for me right?
Thinking of getting in contact with Canada Computers and having them contact MSI but I'd rather have no middle man.

GE72 with a 4K panel is no where to be found, even in the US. Every SKU has the 120Hz screen.

fake edit: okay some of my readings say that the 4K SKU is only available on the other side of the world, not North America though

You have nothing to lose, might as well contact MSI support, to inquire. The recent trade in program (from which I benefited) proves that the company has no problem, with selling directly to customers.

I wanted to pop back in and praise the GE62VR Apache Pro-026 again if anyone is on the fence.

A few months in, and not a single issue or concern. Coming from an ASUS G72GX, it's just been an incredible machine. It's light enough to take to school daily, doesn't have a "NOSCOPE GAMER" chassis, and runs cool and quiet.

Nah, it's a good laptop.

Some people just hate the logo, no matter what, but mine has only ever gotten compliments. It's really sleek, in person.

Dylan

I'm in the same boat; though I am one of those people that isn't a fan of the logo, but a $25 dollar skin solves that very easily.

For gaming, I've never had a single instance where I've felt the machine was underpowered.

My only gripe was I had to do quite a bit of tweaking to get it running the way I like, but since then it's been smooth sailing.

Country where it will be purchased: U.S.
Maximum budget: $600-900
Max size: I really don't have preference
Planned usage: Heavy gaming usage. I would like to be able to play games like Prey, The Witcher 3, and other triple A games at very high settings
Whatever else you find relevant: I would like something with an average to good battery life. Might have a good webcam if possible.

K.Jack

Thanks a lot. I was a bit scared whether the laptop would have poor build quality and would go up in smokes when playing on it.

I'm certain that's a CLEVO P650HP6, sold in the US as the Sager NP8156.

Good laptop.

Planned usage: Heavy gaming usage. I would like to be able to play games like Prey, The Witcher 3, and other triple A games at very high settings
Whatever else you find relevant: I would like something with an average to good battery life. Might have a good webcam if possible.

Dell Inspiron, with GTX 1050 Ti

I'd buy this Dell.

Glaurungr

The omen looks better in my opinion and has 8GB more ram. I currently have a 15" asus and it is good but I'm not a fan of the bright red WASD keys, on my model they just have red on the underside which is much better.

Someone further up just bought a 17" omen so check out their posts and maybe they will have an opinion too.

Thanks! The only thing about the Omen I don't like is that it looks like the red lights on the keyboard can't be turned off.

The ASUS has 120Hz G-Sync

That means it wins automatically.

Thanks! 120Hz is that good?

K.Jack

Thanks! The only thing about the Omen I don't like is that it looks like the red lights on the keyboard can't be turned off.

Thanks! 120Hz is that good?

It's a revelation. Everything is so smooth.

I would not pass up on it.

Top Bottom