• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

I've been researching to buy a new video editing/light gaming laptop (1.5-2k budge) for a few weeks now. The Dell XPS seems perfect but I want one with a 1060, any chance of a Dell refresh anytime soon?

jdstorm

Banned
Saw a Dell XPS in person a few days ago when i went into a local electronics retailer. Really want one, but know i should hold out until the end of the year when benchmarks for a few games i am keen on will drop (Ace Combat 7)

Tonidayo

Asus ROG is actually the worst of the bunch, among MSI, Alienware, Clevo, Gigabyte, and Acer. The mighty fell a long time ago.

Now, having the budget doesn't mean you need to spend it all. What are your needs?

Well i'm looking for maxed out graphics for latest games, as well as fluid photoshop / after effects.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why is Asus bad? I saw that they have several machines in top 10 notebookcheck.

They are still charging top tier prices, when they are no longer building top tier laptops.

I've been researching to buy a new video editing/light gaming laptop (1.5-2k budge) for a few weeks now. The Dell XPS seems perfect but I want one with a 1060, any chance of a Dell refresh anytime soon?

Literally zero chance that the XPS gets a 1060.

Well i'm looking for maxed out graphics for latest games, as well as fluid photoshop / after effects.

Well I think this is as high-end as you can get. Has a 4K option too.

They are still charging top tier prices, when they are no longer building top tier laptops.

Well touching top tier laptops are still a dream for me but I saw them having pretty good models at reasonable price:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G701VIK-Notebook-Review.198294.0.html
This one has IPS g-sync 120Hz monitor at 3100$, while MSI GT73VR has TN g-sync 120Hz monitor at 3500$. Seems like a good deal to me.
Anyway is it worth it for me to upgrade from a 60Hz TN monitor with no g-sync to a 75Hz IPS G-sync monitor?

K.Jack

Never heard of that brand..i believe it's nowhere to be found even in France. How tustable and reputable is Sager compare to other brands such as MSI or ASUS ROG?

Clevo is the actual company, Sager is how they are rebranded in North America. They are one of the top boutique gaming laptop makers in the world, even though the company is unknown in the mainstream.

Are you in France then? Here they are sold in France.

Here also.

Otherwise, I'd buy an MSI GT73VR.

Well touching top tier laptops are still a dream for me but I saw them having pretty good models at reasonable price:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G701VIK-Notebook-Review.198294.0.html
This one has IPS g-sync 120Hz monitor at 3100$, while MSI GT73VR has TN g-sync 120Hz monitor at 3500$. Seems like a good deal to me.
Anyway is it worth it for me to upgrade from a 60Hz TN monitor with no g-sync to a 75Hz IPS G-sync monitor?

Look at the screen specs, side by side. The TN panel of the GT73VR is actually better than the IPS of the ASUS, and still has great viewing angles.

Then look at the temperatures of the Asus. The CPU is peaking at 99C on some cores, and throttles, while the GTX 1080 is at 88C.

GT73 also has a better keyboard (RGB lighting no less), much higher quality speakers, and has an ESS SABRE Hi-Fi DAC powering the headphone port.

It's overall just outclassed, and shouldn't cost as much as it does.

About your last question about screen, yes, I'd make that upgrade all day every day. 60Hz TN is a relic at this point, there's no reason to be stuck with that. Now, are you talking about upgrading a laptop screen? I'm asking because the laptop may not be G-Sync certified, so it'd just be a 75Hz G-Sync monitor.

Clevo is the actual company, Sager is how they are rebranded in North America. They are one of the top boutique gaming laptop makers in the world, even though the company is unknown in the mainstream.

Are you in France then? Here they are sold in France.

Here also.

Otherwise, I'd buy an MSI GT73VR.

Look at the screen specs, side by side. The TN panel of the GT73VR is actually better than the IPS of the ASUS, and still has great viewing angles.

Then look at the temperatures of the Asus. The CPU is peaking at 99C on some cores, and throttles, while the GTX 1080 is at 88C.

GT73 also has a better keyboard (RGB lighting no less), much higher quality speakers, and has an ESS SABRE Hi-Fi DAC powering the headphone port.

It's overall just outclassed, and shouldn't cost as much as it does.

About your last question about screen, yes, I'd make that upgrade all day every day. 60Hz TN is a relic at this point, there's no reason to be stuck with that. Now, are you talking about upgrading a laptop screen? I'm asking because the laptop may not be G-Sync certified, so it'd just be a 75Hz G-Sync monitor.

Yeah my laptop is G-sync compatible with a 1060.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Literally zero chance that the XPS gets a 1060.
Dell should do a XPS17 with one.
Would buy it so fast.

Also, what's your stance on Aorus?
I need to get a new machine, and although I was kinda set on MSI's GS line, the X5 and X7 look mighty fine to me (and they seem to have global warranty, although where I am would require to ship it somewhere should something arise).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The Asus FX502VM is on sale right now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXO0PO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Latest 6th generation Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.2 GHz).
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB discrete graphics.
Large 1TB 7200RPM HDD with 16GB DDR4 RAM.

For $980

Not a bad deal, I picked it up for 900 even on black friday and I fucking adore this laptop. It handles literally everything I've thrown at it. The only issue is that the display is TN but it doesn't really bug me all that much.

It's got a slot for adding in an SSD too.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Country where it will be purchased: US
Maximum budget: $800
Max size: size is not a concern, won't be traveling with it
Planned usage: Football Manager, indies, the occasional low-impact RPG or turn-based strategy game. Not concerned about resolution or FPS. Just need a budget gaming laptop for the basics.
Whatever else you find relevant: Quieter and lighter is better. I'm used to a MacBook Air.

K.Jack

I don't know it already has gsync or not. It's a really bad TN screen with low color gamut.
My laptop is Fx502vm.

So I did some research.

The FX502VM only supports G-Sync via external display, through the Displayport.

So adding the screen wouldn't give you internal G-Sync, but it would still give you a great screen. I've also read that the 60Hz screen is mediocre, so I'd do the upgrade.

Dell should do a XPS17 with one.
Would buy it so fast.

Also, what's your stance on Aorus?
I need to get a new machine, and although I was kinda set on MSI's GS line, the X5 and X7 look mighty fine to me (and they seem to have global warranty, although where I am would require to ship it somewhere should something arise).

I have no beef with Aorus, and in fact, I'd actively recommend them over the GS line, if only because all of the components you can upgrade are easily accessible..

The Asus FX502VM is on sale right now

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXO0PO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Latest 6th generation Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.2 GHz).
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB discrete graphics.
Large 1TB 7200RPM HDD with 16GB DDR4 RAM.

For $980

Not a bad deal, I picked it up for 900 even on black friday and I fucking adore this laptop. It handles literally everything I've thrown at it. The only issue is that the display is TN but it doesn't really bug me all that much.

It's got a slot for adding in an SSD too.

"Not bad" is putting it lightly.

I wish it had an SSD though.
Country where it will be purchased: US
Maximum budget: $800
Max size: size is not a concern, won't be traveling with it
Planned usage: Football Manager, indies, the occasional low-impact RPG or turn-based strategy game. Not concerned about resolution or FPS. Just need a budget gaming laptop for the basics.
Whatever else you find relevant: Quieter and lighter is better. I'm used to a MacBook Air.

I think this HP might be what you want.

Will

Neo Member
My opinion of Asus could not get any lower, and there's literally no reason to spend almost $1100 for a 1050 equipped machine.

Yeah, my budget is $1100 to $1200 and I saw the reviews of the 753 were generally of the "This is a pretty good laptop but it could be a better value" variety. My problem is I wanted a 17inch, possibly 15inch laptop in that price range with a really good quality bright screen and at least decent build quality and it felt to me like similar laptops in that price were skimping on the screens. Unfortunately since I bought the computer I've heard nothing but bad things about ASUS.

I've got a few more days to decide to return this or not but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable replacement in that price range. It's getting hard for me to trust reviews after this ASUS because what major websites say about this product seems to be completely different from what a lot of consumers are saying.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this laptop.

So these specs: Intel i5-7300HQ
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5)
8GB RAM

I mostly want a budget laptop to last me 2 or 3 years before I invest in a rig. Mostly sticking to older games like Fallout 1+2, Serious Sam games, Overlord, FEAR, Command and Conquer 3, etc. I get most newer games on my Xbone or PS4.

But would this laptop also be capable of playing some newer games like Overwatch, maybe the new Civ or Planet Coaster at all? I wouldn't mind medium settings to keep the stress down/FPS at a decent pace.

This just seems like a solid laptop that balances performance without looking like a traditional gaming laptop and isn't huge. Also to get some work done.

Thanks!

ghibli99

For what it's worth, I've had the lowest-tier new Razer Blade Stealth for a couple months now, and I really like it. I was looking for something compact but solidly constructed, and my primary use for it is streaming Steam, PS4, and XB1 games remotely and from around our place, so high CPU/GPU power wasn't a high priority. For those purposes, it's perfect. 1440p is pretty minuscule at 12.5", but everything is sharp, viewing angles are excellent, colors are rich, and everything has a premium feels with a good level of user customization. Key travel is shallow on the keyboard, but that's something I was ready to deal with in this small a laptop. I've used it for work on the go, and the keys are responsive and have decent tactile feedback. Battery life is good, although I haven't done much in the way of stress testing.

acm2000

8GB RAM

I mostly want a budget laptop to last me 2 or 3 years before I invest in a rig. Mostly sticking to older games like Fallout 1+2, Serious Sam games, Overlord, FEAR, Command and Conquer 3, etc. I get most newer games on my Xbone or PS4.

But would this laptop also be capable of playing some newer games like Overwatch, maybe the new Civ or Planet Coaster at all? I wouldn't mind medium settings to keep the stress down/FPS at a decent pace.

This just seems like a solid laptop that balances performance without looking like a traditional gaming laptop and isn't huge. Also to get some work done.

Thanks!

civ will want cpu grunt, planet coaster is a beast and you will want a 1060 at least

K.Jack

Yeah, my budget is $1100 to $1200 and I saw the reviews of the 753 were generally of the "This is a pretty good laptop but it could be a better value" variety. My problem is I wanted a 17inch, possibly 15inch laptop in that price range with a really good quality bright screen and at least decent build quality and it felt to me like similar laptops in that price were skimping on the screens. Unfortunately since I bought the computer I've heard nothing but bad things about ASUS.

I've got a few more days to decide to return this or not but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable replacement in that price range. It's getting hard for me to trust reviews after this ASUS because what major websites say about this product seems to be completely different from what a lot of consumers are saying.

I'm feeling that this Sager is ticking every box for you.

- $1049 base
- 17.3" with a Good IPS
- 1050 Ti 4GB
- Good build quality
- RGB keyboard
- Has an open NVMe slot
- Dedicated internal amp for the headphone jack, which is something you complained about with the ASUS

I'm liking it, a lot. You don't lose anything the GL753 had, but you gain a lot.

There's also a sale on the M.2 and NVME drives right now, the 256GB WD Black NVMe is $120 right now.

If you want to start at $1199, this 15.6" Sager has a 1060. No 17" version, unfortunately.

8GB RAM

Thanks!

The 1050 crushes Overwatch.

Thinking of buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1320 on amazon warehouse deals, i have an amazon card so it's less than 200 out of pocket and 0 interest over a year. Good machine to go in on at that price? I mostly do blizzard and some triple A stuff, a lot of indy mixed in.

It runs super hot, but that's a good price for the specs.

Plum

Decided to make one of these posts since I'm quite quickly moving towards getting a gaming laptop so I need some decent advice.

Maximum Budget: £2,000
Max Size: Max 10lbs, Max 17.3 inch screen
Planned Usage: This is going to be a desktop replacement, so I want it to be able to play most AAA games (and all shooters as I hate playing those on console) without any major compromises for at least 2 years. A 1060 might do this but I'm not so sure. I won't be using it for general University work (going to get a Lenovo Ideapad 100s for that, a literal word/light browsing machine) so it will likely spend 90% of its time on a desk or table at home. I can't really upgrade it until at least a few years from now so I don't really want something that's got as much longevity as possible.
Other Stuff:
- 1080p is all I need
- Battery life is not a problem as it'll be plugged in nearly 100% of the time anyway
- G-Sync would be highly preferable
- Screen quality is a higher priority to me than high refresh rates
- I don't want it sounding like a jet engine as I'll be sharing a flat whilst in Uni
- I'm fine with a bit more thickness or weight if it means quieter fans
Retailers:
Amazon UK
Scan UK
Overclockers UK
Dell
HP Omen

EDIT: Put in some more details and changed the planned usage a bit.

EDIT 2: Upped my maximum budget. Also, right now I'm liking the look of this MSI laptop but the claims of bad QC in manufacturing worry me, should I be?

Zoomed

Neo Member
Does anybody have any feedback on the following laptop:

It is an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475414/Aspire_V15_Nitro_Black_Edition_VN7-593G-70U4_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Slate_Black

I really like the look of the laptop and I think the specs are pretty decent at this price, especially with the 512 SSD.

Here is the notebookcheck review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-BE-VN7-593G-7700HQ-GTX-1060-Laptop-Review.207344.0.html

Only thing I am worried about is the noise and heat, but that seems like a pretty common concern with all gaming laptops.

Does anybody have any first hand experience, or any other reviews I could look at?

K.Jack

Decided to make one of these posts since I'm quite quickly moving towards getting a gaming laptop so I need some decent advice.

Planned Usage: This is going to be a desktop replacement, so I want it to be able to play most AAA games (and all shooters as I hate playing those on console) without any major compromises for at least 2 years. A 1060 might do this but I'm not so sure. I won't be using it for general University work (going to get a Lenovo Ideapad 100s for that, a literal word/light browsing machine) so it will likely spend 90% of its time on a desk or table at home. I can't really upgrade it until at least a few years from now so I don't really want something that's got as much longevity as possible.
Other Stuff:
- 1080p is all I need
- Battery life is not a problem as it'll be plugged in nearly 100% of the time anyway
- I don't want it sounding like a jet engine as I'll be sharing a flat whilst in Uni
Retailers:
Amazon UK
Scan UK
Overclockers UK
Dell
HP Omen

EDIT 2: Upped my maximum budget. Also, right now I'm liking the look of this MSI laptop but the claims of bad QC in manufacturing worry me, should I be?

I'd build one of these.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475414/Aspire_V15_Nitro_Black_Edition_VN7-593G-70U4_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Slate_Black

I really like the look of the laptop and I think the specs are pretty decent at this price, especially with the 512 SSD.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-BE-VN7-593G-7700HQ-GTX-1060-Laptop-Review.207344.0.html

Only thing I am worried about is the noise and heat, but that seems like a pretty common concern with all gaming laptops.

Does anybody have any first hand experience, or any other reviews I could look at?

It runs hot, but I'd buy it anyway, just because of the specs at that price.

Quixzlizx

I have the version with the 860M. I dunno about now, but the touchpad on mine is fucking garbage, and I never used to be snobby regarding touchpads.

I also felt kind of scammed because the marketing materials for the V15 said it had an IPS screen, but it turned out that only one specific model (the 8 GB RAM/128 GB SSD) under the V15 brand had it. The screen isn't terrible for a TN, though.

overburning

Neo Member
Maximum budget: 600-800 USD
Max size: doesn't matter
Planned usage: mostly student stuff, with occassional gaming here and there
Others: just looking for a budget option to do the occassional gaming on when I'm out and about, I would prefer lightweight and decent battery life than gaming performance. As a reference point something that would run civ 6 on medium would be great, but not sure if that's realistic. Amazon/newegg links will be fine, thanks :)

Plum

How risky is buyin refurbished? I've found a HP Omen 17 refurbished on Ebay for £300 less than RRP. I've bought refurbished before (Thinkpad for school) and that's worked fine for years, but I'm not too certain as to how buying an expensive gaming laptop such as that will turn out. If it's fine then great, I may have a high budget but I'd much rather pay the least amount possible for what I eventually get.

K.Jack

Just matched up the specs with this MSI GT72VR 6RE and it's £300 more expensive. I like the look of the MSI, are there any major downsides?

EDIT: Damn, that's not with the 1070. Sorry, ignore this post until I can find something comparable.

EDIT 2: This GT72VR is still a fair bit less expensive overall.

The GT72 is a great laptop, no question. I actually owned one (GTX 980M), before I upgraded to the GT73VR.

Maximum budget: 600-800 USD
Max size: doesn't matter
Planned usage: mostly student stuff, with occassional gaming here and there
Others: just looking for a budget option to do the occassional gaming on when I'm out and about, I would prefer lightweight and decent battery life than gaming performance. As a reference point something that would run civ 6 on medium would be great, but not sure if that's realistic. Amazon/newegg links will be fine, thanks :)
This look good?

How risky is buyin refurbished? I've found a HP Omen 17 refurbished on Ebay for £300 less than RRP. I've bought refurbished before (Thinkpad for school) and that's worked fine for years, but I'm not too certain as to how buying an expensive gaming laptop such as that will turn out. If it's fine then great, I may have a high budget but I'd much rather pay the least amount possible for what I eventually get.

Well the listing says it still comes with a 1 year warranty, so you wouldn't be left out to dry if there are early issues.

Refurbed in the US usually means 90 days, max.

Plum

The GT72 is a great laptop, no question. I actually owned one (GTX 980M), before I upgraded to the GT73VR.

Well the listing says it still comes with a 1 year warranty, so you wouldn't be left out to dry if there are early issues.

Refurbed in the US usually means 90 days, max.

Ah, cool. I think I'll go with the HP Omen then over the GT72VR. I know the latter has slightly better specs out of the box (16gb compared to 8gb, but I can upgrade) and has better cooling overall but I can't find the 1070 version of that laptop anywhere below £1,700. After looking at my financial situation buying the MSI just isn't a wise decision for me right now. Thanks for the advice!

Final question, do cooling stands make much of a difference in terms of noise & heat and, if so, are there any you would recommend?

Hey there, decided recently that i'll be in the market for a new laptop sometime soon, so i figure i'd check around here. i already have a nice desktop setup, but i'm looking for something I can bring with me on the go. it's been so long since i've had a decent laptop, I feel like it's time to start again, but since i've been using my desktop which has served me well, I haven't really looked around much for laptops to be honest.

Maximum budget: $1500-1600ish USD could throw some more money that way, if i decided to wait for the moment and save up some more.
Max size: looking for something around 15 inches, screen wise (can do 14, too). form factor, the last laptop i had was a MacBook pro from 2010, so I kinda liked that sort of thing, I don't mind something a little thicker though.
Planned usage: more or less something I can bring with me everywhere, on PC i generally play League of Legends, Final Fantasy XIV, and Overwatch (so I guess those would be the most intensive games I'd run), along with most current indie and older AAA games, I also do light photoshop and 3D/Video work, but for the heavy lifting work wise, I have my desktop, so this is more something I can just use on the go and be fun.
Other Stuff: I do like chicklet keys like on say the Macbook Pro or Razer Deathstalker. 1080P at least, 4K would be nice, since I don't have anything like that yet. G-sync would be nice too since I don't really have anything like that as well. I would also hook the laptop up to either external monitors or an HDTV, so outputs would be nice too.
Retailers: I have amazon Prime, so I could go that route, I don't mind ordering from elsewhere or checking out any brick and mortar stores for what i'm looking for.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Know this isn't a tech support thread, but since some people picked up the oled 13" r3 alienware, was wondering, I can't access the nivida control panel and fn+f7 to change graphics mode says it doesn't work on an OLED panel, anyone knwo how to deal with this?

Tripon

Just ordered the Acer VX 15 with the GTX 1050 and the i5 7300 HQ for $800 on Amazon through work. The GTX 1050 ti and 7800HQ was an extra $100 but I didn't feel like arguing for it because the current specs are overkill anyway since it'll be mostly working with browser apps and google apps.

kami_sama

So I have a MSI GP62MVR 7RF laptop, with a 1060, what is the normal boost clock for it? I got around ~1800 MHz, but that seems a little high, considering the range nvidia gives for the laptop card.
Also, any way to lower the power limit? I hit 60 fps no problem on OW and want the card to be a little more conservative with it's power consumption but Afterburner doesn't let me change it.

So I'm thinking to replace my recently bought laptop(HP Zbook Studio G3) due to the honestly insane thermal issues it's having. Almost 100c while gaming and around 45-50c while browsing and 80c in gaming while undervolted and slightly underclocked.

I'm looking for something under 1500$ and with a good enough screen for photo and video editing(>95% sRGB). What do you all think about the Razer Blade (1060)? Haven't read about any serious thermal issues, and honestly my only concern is the screen size. Would it be a good purchase? I'm looking for something relatively small, light and that doesn't look like a Bayformer.

Edit: Also is there any major chain that carries the Blade? Best Buy, Target... MicroCenter? I wanna see it in person.

K.Jack

Ah, cool. I think I'll go with the HP Omen then over the GT72VR. I know the latter has slightly better specs out of the box (16gb compared to 8gb, but I can upgrade) and has better cooling overall but I can't find the 1070 version of that laptop anywhere below £1,700. After looking at my financial situation buying the MSI just isn't a wise decision for me right now. Thanks for the advice!

Final question, do cooling stands make much of a difference in terms of noise & heat and, if so, are there any you would recommend?

Cooling stands can be hit or miss, outside of using them for elevation.

I know next to nothing about which are useful.

I'm of the mind, that no good laptop should need one.
Thanks! Can you point me to one in the $600 range?

Well this HP is sorta in the $600 range, but the base specs need some upgrades.

Maximum budget: $1500-1600ish USD could throw some more money that way, if i decided to wait for the moment and save up some more.
Max size: looking for something around 15 inches, screen wise (can do 14, too). form factor, the last laptop i had was a MacBook pro from 2010, so I kinda liked that sort of thing, I don't mind something a little thicker though.
Planned usage: more or less something I can bring with me everywhere, on PC i generally play League of Legends, Final Fantasy XIV, and Overwatch (so I guess those would be the most intensive games I'd run), along with most current indie and older AAA games, I also do light photoshop and 3D/Video work, but for the heavy lifting work wise, I have my desktop, so this is more something I can just use on the go and be fun.
Other Stuff: I do like chicklet keys like on say the Macbook Pro or Razer Deathstalker. 1080P at least, 4K would be nice, since I don't have anything like that yet. G-sync would be nice too since I don't really have anything like that as well. I would also hook the laptop up to either external monitors or an HDTV, so outputs would be nice too.
Retailers: I have amazon Prime, so I could go that route, I don't mind ordering from elsewhere or checking out any brick and mortar stores for what i'm looking for.

Check this out.

From a pure temperature/heat/battery perspective - would a Razer Blade or a GS63VR be better?

Razer wins battery, MSI wins temps.

Know this isn't a tech support thread, but since some people picked up the oled 13" r3 alienware, was wondering, I can't access the nivida control panel and fn+f7 to change graphics mode says it doesn't work on an OLED panel, anyone knwo how to deal with this?

The OLED model doesn't have manually switchable graphics, it just uses Optimus.

Just ordered the Acer VX 15 with the GTX 1050 and the i5 7300 HQ for $800 on Amazon through work. The GTX 1050 ti and 7800HQ was an extra $100 but I didn't feel like arguing for it because the current specs are overkill anyway since it'll be mostly working with browser apps and google apps.

Please, let us know what you think of the laptop.

So I have a MSI GP62MVR 7RF laptop, with a 1060, what is the normal boost clock for it? I got around ~1800 MHz, but that seems a little high, considering the range nvidia gives for the laptop card.
Also, any way to lower the power limit? I hit 60 fps no problem on OW and want the card to be a little more conservative with it's power consumption but Afterburner doesn't let me change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLB8TyCuK4w

K.Jack

So I'm thinking to replace my recently bought laptop(HP Zbook Studio G3) due to the honestly insane thermal issues it's having. Almost 100c while gaming and around 45-50c while browsing and 80c in gaming while undervolted and slightly underclocked.

I'm looking for something under 1500$ and with a good enough screen for photo and video editing(>95% sRGB). What do you all think about the Razer Blade (1060)? Haven't read about any serious thermal issues, and honestly my only concern is the screen size. Would it be a good purchase? I'm looking for something relatively small, light and that doesn't look like a Bayformer.

Edit: Also is there any major chain that carries the Blade? Best Buy, Target... MicroCenter? I wanna see it in person.

Blade would be good. I don't know if any retailers carry them, outside of the Microsoft store.

Plum

Cooling stands can be hit or miss, outside of using them for elevation.

I know next to nothing about which are useful.

I'm of the mind, that no good laptop should need one.

Ah, OK. I'll do some research on my own because, after thinking, I feel like I'd need one if not only for ergonomic purposes. Thanks!

Dredd97

Other Stuff:
- 1080p is all I need
Retailers:
Amazon UK
Scan UK
Overclockers UK
Dell
HP Omen

i got the hp omen with an i7-7700hq 8gb ddr4 and 1070 8gb gddr5 for £1.5k
i upgraded the ram to 16gb and its an excellent laptop (i briefly had an MSI but the laptop kept crashing to the windows 10 boot loop whenever i used a usb 3.1c hub)..
really happy with the omen.. not the best on the market but still packs some serious tech..

batrush

Somehow managed to get temps of 87-91C down to 67-71C (using The Witcher 3 as reference as it gave the highest temps) on my Alienware 13 R3 OLED by keeping the bottom propped up (have the computer's sides resting on two books, vent area unobstructed) and undervolting the CPU by 50mV. Stock paste. CPU runs in the 80s, haven't seen it pass 86C. On latest NVIDIA drivers, also updated to W10 Creator's update. Really happy with the machine now.

Plum

i got the hp omen with an i7-7700hq 8gb ddr4 and 1070 8gb gddr5 for £1.5k
i upgraded the ram to 16gb and its an excellent laptop (i briefly had an MSI but the laptop kept crashing to the windows 10 boot loop whenever i used a usb 3.1c hub)..
really happy with the omen.. not the best on the market but still packs some serious tech..

Thanks! I'll be getting it when I can for sure. Does upgrading the RAM (and putting in an SSD, I've got a 1tb one) void the warranty? I'm getting it refurbished so I'd rather not void it so early on before potential issues appear.

Top Bottom