• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

S1kkZ

i really dont know what the hell is going on with the performance of the game. the opening area= mostly solid 30 fps. after that, large drops and slowdown to sub 20 fps. now i am in an area, that is (visually) much more demanding, but it runs smooth(ish) again.

did different teams work/optimise on different areas?

i cannot wait for the digital foundry analysis. looks there is much to talk about.

if it werent for the technical problems, it would be my game of the year so far.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I did not particularly rush through that game, though I admit I also didn't find the collectibles at all interesting so I didn't bother much with that. Was done in just over 5 hours. So say 6, 7, or hell even 8 hours. But 10 hours to beat? Come on. I just don't see it with that game.

But not really the main point, which is that IMO, these early impressions lean more towards the positive a lot of the time on Gaf. Hey, I hope I am wrong and these excellent early impressions are right on point!

What is silly about this thinking is the many times early impressions sink up with long term ones. Or when a game was panned at first and became well loved over time.

dEvAnGeL

i really dont know what the hell is going on with the performance of the game. the opening area= mostly solid 30 fps. after that, large drops and slowdown to sub 20 fps. now i am in an area, that is (visually) much more demanding, but it runs smooth(ish) again.

i cannot wait for the digital foundry analysis. looks there is much to talk about.

if it werent for the technical problems, it would be my game of the year so far.
OG ps4 or PRO?

Ostinatto

How long are the sub 20 fps dips?

Jacob4815

Pro or normal PS4?

EDIT: nevermind, you answered.

S1kkZ

An hour playing under 20 fps? thats terrible.

wait for the df video. its hust how it felt to me. after the opening, the whole game felt like i was walking through molasses. now its fine and responsive again.
maybe its a bug or terrible optimisation. or maybe i am fucking crazy. but something is wrong here.

lol no. Maybe you can't tell (Although I doubt it, you're just not sensitive to it apparently) that is nowhere near "great" or "perfectly" playable.
IMO, it's fine. Trust me, I've played other games at 60FPS on console and PC, so I know and appreciate the difference. Or did you think I was trying to say it's "great and perfectly playable" for everyone?

meanspartan

Just gonna keep saying it...The Guardian's 2016 Game of the Year is The Last Guardian.

This goes way beyond early positive impressions like The Order got.

I haven't followed their gaming coverage, is The Guardian reputable on gaming even though they are mainstream press?

Mr Git

Different strokes for different folks. Some people aren't as sensitive to such things. Hell I'm not bothered by jaggies and poorIQ more than poor frame rate for example.

My absolute computer and video games bugbear is tearing. I find it mesmerisingly distracting, moreso than IQ or framerate.

I haven't followed their gaming coverage, is The Guardian reputable on gaming even though they are mainstream press?

Yep they've got some pretty reputable writers who work/freelance for them, especially Simon Parkin.

A roller coaster to the end - looking forward to picking this up and giving it a go myself.

Also, very interested to hear the GOTY-talk-exhausted Bombcast crew talk about their impressions this week.

HStallion

You're in for a disappointment. No matter how the good the game is the fps and the controls will drag its score heavily.

We shall see. The controls are like their past games and many people love them. I'm one.

Salaadin

Or Dark Souls for something more recent that 1) was a follow-up to a beloved style of game and 2) had areas with framerate issues but was insanely well-received regardless due to the overall experience
Witcher 3 received tons of praise and GOTY awards and also had performance issues on all consoles.

TLG will be docked for its performance issues. The real question is whether or not everything else in the game makes up for its performance issues.

HStallion

Witcher 3 received tons of praise and GOTY awards and also had performance issues on all consoles.

TLG will be docked for its performance issues. The real question is whether or not everything else in the game makes up for its performance issues.

This is something I wanted to bring up. The Witcher 3 was a mess of technical issues when it launched on the consoles and still did incredibly well with both critics and the general audience. If the game is good, the design spot on and the package a greater sum than its parts then it will do fine.

Shit remember Skyrim and the Fallout games on the last gen consoles? They were absolute messes riddled with glitches, bugs and other issues and were most people's GOTY.

Ostinatto

This is something I wanted to bring up. The Witcher 3 was a mess of technical issues when it launched on the consoles and still did incredibly well with both critics and the general audience. If the game is good, the design spot on and the package a greater sum than its parts then it will do fine.

Shit remember Skyrim and the Fallout games on the last gen consoles? They were absolute messes riddled with glitches, bugs and other issues and were most people's GOTY.

You have a point there, but they are mostly multiplatforms, first party exclusive games should not have those kind of issues imo.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some of the puzzles are so clever. I just got one I had been struggling with for ten minutes. Physics based. Really cool.

HStallion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQFz-JWzQs

They just released the fifth of the live action TLG Japanese ads about the long wait for fans. This one is about some employees in a convenience store discussing a magazine with TLG on the cover. Not sure what they're saying but the ending is a customer walking in and looking shocked to see TLG on the magazine cover and a rack full of them.

Top Bottom