• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

are you guys ready or what?

this isn't a normal release..we've been waiting for this shit for years!!!!

my amazon copy is on the way to my house as we speak. holy shit what a start to the day!!!

bumpkin

I saw a thread about wicked framerate drops in the game. Though not surprising given ICO and SotC, it's still hugely disappointing. We've been waiting years for this game, it was moved onto more powerful hardware, and it still doesn't have a locked/smooth framerate? Such a shame. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My second set of impressions is below. You can link these up with the first set if you want to get a sense of how I felt about the whole game. I thought about the game all night and really want to write this for the catharsis.

If ICO was about friendship and Shadow of the Colossus was about hope in the face of total hopelessness, The Last Guardian is about the satisfaction we get in seeing others succeed. What distinguishes Trico from Yorda is how Trico develops over the course of the game both physically and as a companion. While Yorda is clearly special from your first encounter and the game makes a note of her significance through cutscenes and dialogue, Trico becomes special because of how you help him and how that makes you feel. I completely reject the notion that the game could ever feel dated; Trico feels so far ahead of everything else in the field. His very being just seems groundbreaking to me. His animation and design are his character and they make it believable for you to believe in him.

The game makes Trico’s development (rather than Boy’s escape) the major progression markers in the story. While I always wanted the Boy to escape, I really wanted to see how Trico, the failed little man-eating monster who starts the game on death’s door, made out, and those scenes are the real heartrending pieces of the story. Players of Panzer Dragoon Zwei are really going to appreciate a dramatic scene where Trico finally regains his full physical abilities. You’ll pump your fist and feel a lump in your throat. The game’s filled with moments like these…not where you feel powerful because of something you did but powerful because of something Trico did that you made possible. Late in the game, as he becomes your protector, that connection feels palpably strong and human.

The plot of the game is not what you expect. After finishing it, there are a ton of unexplained elements I can’t wait to explore and discuss with other people online. Suffice it to say it has been well hidden over the past 7 years and you do not know what you think you do. I won’t comment on how it all wraps up expect to say the story is uplifting. After I finished it, I hugged my two dogs and they licked my face. One has really stinky breath so I can only imagine what Trico’s breath smells like.

Mechanically, the game really turns into a platformer late. I was surprised by this. There are a lot of sweaty-palms jumps you’ll make towards the end, and the scale of the game is simply huge. I have no idea how this was intended to run on a PS3 (it barely runs on a PS4). You’ll feel so, so high up! It makes every jump feel perilous. In this sense, late in the game, the game shifts from feeling a lot like ICO to feeling a lot like Shadow of the Colossus, where you start climbing massive structures and you just keep going higher and higher. Previously I mentioned how the game has a “Dark Souls” feel in that you can see places you’ll be going later as you play. The game also has a Dark Souls feel in that the environments end up looping around on themselves! It is a pleasant surprise because it further enhances the sense of place throughout the game. If this was one of your favorite elements of Shadow of the Colossus, you will really love this in the game.

Artistically, the game’s beauty is just incapable to describe. Expertly lit scenes and breathtaking views comprise the entire second half of the game. I know the performance is at best uneven but I thought it was so worth it (and 1900p is higher than I thought…this is almost 4K native!). I would have preferred if performance were perfect but it never impacted by ability to play (though it was definitely noticeable). I also noted the camera really struggled in some later-game scenes where you go into some mine-type environments and the ceiling gets very shallow. The game absolutely didn’t know what to do with itself here, and this was somewhat surprising they didn’t think to switch to a fixed camera or something similar. Still, didn’t care. Pimple on the nose of this game’s beautiful complexion.

The puzzles are really quite clever. There are a few that use physics (be they of mechanical objects or water) and will leave you impressed. The solutions are always simple, so usually it is a matter of finding what they are and not overthinking things. I feel for players that bump into bugs. I didn’t experience any, but they should definitely be fixed. The game can be oblique sometimes about where and what you should do or what you can climb on, and like I said before, there are some red herrings. There are no colored ledges or obvious cliffs to grab. Some of the things you’ll do you’ll be like, “I can’t believe this isn’t some sequence breaking glitch!” because of how adventurous and dangerous it feels. Something else the game has that Ueda games have not had historically are setpieces. One of them is so exhilarating that I called it my moment of the gen. The way the setpiece blends platforming puzzles with traversal and action and then ends the sequence with a straight up physics puzzle is truly genius and so Ueda. You’ll love it.

I didn’t take notes this time like I did last time so there may be more I remember later. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and can’t even imagine this game never making it out. At Chris Kohler’s suggestion, I watched the initial reveal trailer from 2009 after finishing the game. Things look a little different—HDR makes everything brighter and the graphics are obviously better—but the game is all there. There was no rewriting or reworking of the game. It is all there. It just didn’t work on the hardware. I think that’s the reason why this game is good. It doesn’t feel cobbled together or salvaged; it feels unique, like the singular vision of one guy and his team that they have slaved over for 5+ years. It doesn’t feel like it has been influenced by outside trends in gaming or whatever—I was blown away that there are no stupid collectables to collect or bars to fill just so you can feel better about yourself. There’s a secret garden thing you can find and it’s just this beautiful little garden where you can sit there and do nothing. You don’t get +50xp and the game doesn’t even tell you you did it.

At the end of the game, you’ll feel a tremendous sense of adventure. You’ll be sad it is over and you’ll be crushed that you won’t get to spend more time with your feathery friend. But you’ll feel good inside.

Y2Kev, I'm officially adding you to my list of "GAFfers whose impressions I love to read", alongside Toma and Messofangeo

Now, where's the OT?

yea you meant it to be bait....

Bait my arse. Check my post history, I've done nothing but hype about this game, and past team Ico games, whenever I post about them.

Drops to 20 fps whilst walking around on a ps4 is very disappointing. Will hold off on buying the game for a while. Hopefully it's patched to improvement, I somehow manage to afford a ps4pro in the coming months or I'll buy it on offer.

Especially gutted given how long I've awaited for this. The ps4 pro seems to be the ideal way to play, jealous of ya'll who get go experience it.

Now that the team is finally finished, I'm excited to see where their talentstrategy will be applied next. I would love to see Sony do a huge jrpg with sotc style boss fights.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oh I meant to add one more thing...players who like "ending interactivity" a la MGS3 will have a new favorite.

Oh I meant to add one more thing...players who like "ending interactivity" a la MGS3 will have a new favorite.

"If ICO was about friendship and Shadow of the Colossus was about hope in the face of total hopelessness, The Last Guardian is about the satisfaction we get in seeing others succeed. "

Kev, this pushed my hype levels to 10 tbh for some reason.

It is in the OP :)

It has some NeoGAF bits in the development part.
For example, a user here shared the first info ever on the game... But he was banned for sharing "false info".
Awesome! Didn't think anyone but myself bookmarked the post(wasn't even a member back then)

It is in the OP :)

It has some NeoGAF bits in the development part.
For example, a user here shared the first info ever on the game... But he was banned for sharing "false info".
Are you including the Y2Kev's impressions? They're arguably my favorite impressions/review of the game so far

How does the game save progress? Is there manual saves, checkpoints, save points?

If you screw something up. Do you have replay large deaths to get to where you were?

Top Bottom