• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

Karak

Was browsing Twitter to see if any reviewers were hinting at anything. Thought this sounded interesting

Ya in all honesty elsewhere the talk was far less positive but still noting some of the same things. I was actually pretty surprised when I checked the thread here. And a couple others I have talked to who are actually playing or review it have wildly different outcomes from one another lol

Spirited debate mode engaged

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm fine with divisive games reviews. I already have a general idea of what to expect now and it seems to be lining up with my expectations.

gogojira

Its ok. I test on all the systems and settings. Still some of the same issues the Pro has with FPS.

Cool, thanks. I'm not looking for anything unrealistic, I just want it in the ballpark of the Pro, heh. I'll get one eventually, just not before I play through TLG.

gogojira

Ya its fine. Not great but eh workable.

I guess I'm speaking too soon anyways. I do have every intention on picking it up, but your previous post makes me a bit less sure, haha. It'll be an interested day tomorrow! I've got a nice PS4 backlog so I guess if I'm too unsure of the purchase I can go in the complete opposite direction and pick up UC4. :p

if people had problems with tricos a.i. (and use it as a negative), i would question their ability to play videogames.

I know what you mean, but this (aside from controls, frame drops, and the camera) had me a little worried thinking about how others would react to it. I'm hopeful (and it's why I said the early negative previews lacked the context of the full game), but we'll see.

Karak

"full of energy, enthusiasm, and determination"

Likely between the two camps who feel the AI is awesome because it's stubborn or whatnot and who feel it's frustrating

FYI I have not heard a single person complaining about the AI since they were informed in the review notes. Though its not perfect regardless since it is of course AI, or the reviewer could just be unhappy about how the AI impacts the gameplay loop but again hadn't heard that.

Its been...other stuff

PlayerOne

Banned
FYI I have not heard a single person complaining about the AI since they were informed in the review notes.
Its been...other stuff

Please dont tell me e they are complaining about the puzzles being hard, or about how a boy does not move with agility and dexterity like Nathan Drake does.

raven777

FYI I have not heard a single person complaining about the AI since they were informed in the review notes. Though its not perfect regardless since it is of course AI, or the reviewer could just be unhappy about how the AI impacts the gameplay loop but again hadn't heard that.

Its been...other stuff

interesting... curious what the other stuff is. So far it seems like the only negative I heard are techinical issues like frame rate and camera.

Azzanadra

I am surprised the story hasn't leaked for a game this anticipated, like MGSV's story was leaked what... 2 weeks before release?

PlayerOne

Banned
You know how it is. Each to their own.

I think subjectivity in games media and reviewers as a whole is overused, given how they all like the same things and dislike the same things.

It is like we have funneled down the taste everyone has. Every other review sounds similar to each other save for a couple out there, no?

Karak

I am surprised the story hasn't leaked for a game this anticipated, like MGSV's story was leaked what... 2 weeks before release?

It...has leaked. Or do you mean to like some major website.
There is posts with spoilers on various sites

I think subjectivity in games media and reviewers as a whole is overused, given how they all like the same things and dislike the same things.

It is like we have funneled down the taste everyone has. Every other review sounds similar to each other save for a couple out there, no?
Good games tend to get good reviews. Even something as unorthodox as Her Story

NateDrake

Who's jacob siegal?

Writer for BGR.com.

Huh, interesting. Has any of that other stuff been brought up in the impressions, if you can say?
From what I've heard from folks I know prepping reviews, the spread in scores will be interesting and the conversation surrounding the game will be lively. TLG is a dated game in the modern era. It has its audience, and I'm glad the game finally released.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
From what I've heard from folks I know prepping reviews, the spread in scores will be interesting and the conversation surrounding the game will be lively. TLG is a dated game in the modern era. It has its audience, and I'm glad the game finally released.
Sounds like ReCore.

Writer for BGR.com.

Unfortunate. Guessing it will really get 7s and low 8s for this, but The debates are going to be...lively

Some people are going to hammer on about tlg not modernizing itself, some will undermine its importance in comparison to the gameplay

Tomorrow will be fun

Unfortunate. Guessing it will really get 7s and low 8s for this, but The debates are going to be...lively

Some people are going to hammer on about tlg not modernizing itself, some will undermine its importance in comparison to the gameplay

Tomorrow will be fun

Eh sounds more like it can get anything from 6s to 10s ...

Adryuu

It worked fine for me.

I thought that puzzle itself was super cool.

It was awesome especially the second time around. That kind of solution you think no it cannot be just that, but then it is. :)

Now I've seen that and another puzzle which are truly great implementations of the game physics and, while very simple and easy to figure out, very clever and satisfying.

Writer for BGR.com.

So it's a quality game in the current tide of trash.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sounds like ReCore.
I suspect it won't have the drawbacks of ReCore.

ReCore has an amazing base game and is quite compelling but some of the design decisions made to extend the length of the game ultimately kind of ruin it. Still an interesting title but they made some bad choices.

Peterthumpa

I wonder what reviewers will complain about. Lack of objective markers? No hint system? No multiplayer? Length vs number of years in development?

I'm ready for some laughs tomorrow. Going to bed.

Shancake

I wonder what reviewers will complain about. Lack of objective markers? No hint system? No multiplayer? Length vs number of years in development?

I'm ready for some laughs tomorrow. Going to bed.

To be honest these comments make me laugh because you clearly have NO idea about the game. At least half of these things are incorrect.

Adryuu

I think reviews will be largely subjective and varied. I can see people getting bored as I said, but to me and despite the tech aspects it's a game that has made me smile a lot both by Trico (and the boy, too, loving the boy), and by some puzzle solutions which were too simple but cute (maybe not that simple to everyone but I think the game is easy overall, though I'm stuck since last night lol).

Also I'm a dog owner and last night right after playing I took him out for a walk and recognized Trico in him, in a way of moving and looking at me. That's weird! Fucking weird. I got the urge to shout-call him Tooricoooooo!

Obviously not everyone will see that and some reviewers will just notice the simpler, emptier, linear, non collectible filled, devoid of combos side of it, being a full price game. Some will even call it dull.

I'm ok with that because I mostly wipe my ass with reviews, specially with numbers. But actually reading commentary will be interesting. And better than that, the OT with lots of people playing. :)

MrHoot

I think reviews will be largely subjective and varied. I can see people getting bored as I said, but to me and despite the tech aspects it's a game that has made me smile a lot both by Trico (and the boy, too, loving the boy), and by some puzzle solutions which were too simple but cute (maybe not that simple to everyone but I think the game is easy overall, though I'm stuck since last night lol).

Also I'm a dog owner and last night right after playing I took him out for a walk and recognized Trico in him, in a way of moving and looking at me. That's weird! Fucking weird. I got the urge to shout-call him Tooricoooooo!

Obviously not everyone will see that and some reviewers will just notice the simpler, emptier, linear, non collectible filled, devoid of combos side of it, being a full price game. Some will even call it dull.

I'm ok with that because I mostly wipe my ass with reviews, specially with numbers. But actually reading commentary will be interesting. And better than that, the OT with lots of people playing. :)

Honestly would still be a bit mad if the crux of the "divisiness" comes from game being boring/not endearing because come the fuck on. The major sourings points I could see are technical aspects, or controls. But if the "other stuff" is "Why isn't this more "fun" " then I dunno.

Top Bottom