• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

sublimit

Banned
Sorry in advance for not checking all the pages of this thread (for fear of soft spoilers) but can anyone tell me who long is the game?Thanks!

Adryuu

Well tech side has been discussed, frame rate is poor and leads to input lag in some instances, but when it works well I've had not a single problem with controls. Jump on triangle and not on X? Ok... the rest is pretty standard I guess.

Now, camera is another legit issue sometimes but it's not like I couldn't solve some situation because of the camera.

Anyway to me these things are not as important here as in other games with more action, and should not take that much space when reviewing this. There are more important things that set this apart and it works despite all of the above. And I'm usually nitpicky with frame rates and input lag and usually feel like it's not said enough in reviews lately.

Adryuu

Sorry in advance for not checking all the pages of this thread (for fear of soft spoilers) but can anyone tell me who long is the game?Thanks!

I think the less time reported has been 8 or 9 hours and the most 15.
There's a speed run trophy in less than 5 hours I think.

Not bothered about the reviews myself as I'm in regardless but hope it's decent enough. The technical issues were something I expected from the start.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is disappointing :(

I mentioned in the other thread how review scores on this game matter not to me as I know I will love it.

But poor performance from a last gen game :( hope they aren't too bad.

It looks nothing like a last gen game. When you play, you will see. You will say wow.

anyway the OT can go up now.

sublimit

Banned

I mentioned in the other thread how review scores on this game matter not to me as I know I will love it.

If it's a last gen game why it isn't available on PS3? Is FFXV a last gen game too?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
One more for the road.

Look at this dude's eyes.

zhLIOFg.jpg

Best visualized animal in any game ever.

Sane_Man

I only just realised that isn't out in the UK until Friday! I was convinced it was a worldwide release tomorrow. And it's my team night out with work on Friday. God damn. The wait for this game continues. I didn't even want to go on the team night out before I realised this. Now it's going to be hell.

If it's a last gen game why it isn't available on PS3? Is FFXV a last gen game too?
No need to be obtuse, you know what I meant. It's a game which spent majority of its development time on the ps3, which was it's target console.

The game does wow me, largely due to its breathtaking art style rather than graphical fidelity.

Poor frame rates are always a disappointment. I'm getting the game regardless due to my admiration of Ico and SoTC. If I ever own a ps4pro I'm excited to replay it there. Hope this isn't something's we see become a regular occurrence.

sublimit

Banned
No need to be obtuse, you know what I meant. It's a game which spent majority of its development time on the ps3, which was it's target console.

The game does wow me, largely due to its breathtaking art style rather than graphical fidelity.

Poor frame rates are always a disappointment. I'm getting the game regardless due to my admiration of Ico and SoTC. If I ever own a ps4pro I'm excited to replay it there. Hope this isn't something's we see become a regular occurrence.

No need to get defensive.I understand what you mean but i don't consider it a "last gen game" personally.Just like i didn't considered Ico a PS1 game when they switched development to PS2.

As for the framerate drops we'll see.People tend to exaggerate lately with things like that so i'll wait to judge on my own.Shadow of the Colossus also had a few technical issues but they didn't affect my experience with the game at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Do keep in mind that, at least from what was shown, the PS3 build was generally running at 10fps or less. They had an impossibly difficult time getting it to work at all on the PS3. So I wouldn't say it was a last gen game since it was never going to run there.

game sounds cool! def will pick it up next year or whenever there's a significant price drop. I loved SotC but was never a big fan of Ico... so this is not a day1 purchase for me at all...

Servbot24

Banned
It's not a last gen game! There's no game that even looks a tiny bit like this last gen!

I am kind of thinking of this game like TLOU Remastered - it has some roots in last gen, but who cares? It's not like anyone that is just now picking up TLOU on PS4 is getting an out of date experience.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Might be a long shot, but GermanGAF, did someone already find this in Hamburg? FFXV was available early over here, so I was wondering.

Oooh nice. You're going all in.

I got SOTC and ICO free on PS+. When I saw the JP CE for the PS3 collection

$_1.JPG

I wasn't gonna miss out on this one. I just hope the game lives up to my expectations. very early on still. But damn.

Feeling bad I cancelled the US CE for this but no one can carry the huge thing for me lol.

Salaadin

I got SOTC and ICO free on PS+. When I saw the JP CE for the PS3 collection

$_1.JPG

I wasn't gonna miss out on this one. I just hope the game lives up to my expectations. very early on still. But damn.

Feeling bad I cancelled the US CE for this but no one can carry the huge thing for me lol.
Wow. That's a great collection. I'm jealous.

Fhtagn

One more for the road.

Look at this dude's eyes.

Best visualized animal in any game ever.

Sheesh, this made me tear up because I miss our dog so bad. (He passed away a couple years back, still raw about it.)

Does this end on a downer? I legit don't know if I can handle that right now.

ISee

Its actually just more noticeable than bad. Though depending on circumstances sometimes it can affect a jump or something especially the camera :)

Thx for answering, but that doesn't sound to good, tbh. I'll wait for a DF quick test before putting down 70€. If performance/frame pacing is bad I'll only buy it if it is an exceptional/phenomenal game (like BB).

Karak

Thx for answering, but that doesn't sound to good, tbh. I'll wait for a DF quick test before putting down 70€. If performance/frame pacing is bad I'll only buy it if it is an exceptional/phenomenal game (like BB).

LIke I said I wouldn't rate it as...bad but sometimes ya a combination of things can cause a couple issues here and there.

MrHoot

More like slightly distracting really. Camera was more an annoyance to me than framerate (framerate never got me killed ever. Camera tho had a few surprise where it panned a bit late for me to see a huge gap that got me killed =p). After boosting the sensibility a bit it's better tho

Karak

If noticeable framerate drops that even interfere with platforming (as you describe it) isn't bad, then I'm not sure what is.
I am more of a impact + frequency judging person versus a "it happened therefore instantly bad" person. But each to their own for sure.

Top Bottom