• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Jaagen

I got bought my Micro in february for 80 bucks(cheap where I live, to bad the price dropped to $70 the day after I bought it) and I love it. I didn't like playing GBA games on the DS because of the button placement(and the stick out cartridge on the Lite), but now I can enjoy my GBA games on the "proper" platform. Got Soundvoyager last week, a game I would like to see "Wiimade" as a downloadable title with Surround and tilt controll.

ThomPayne

Just picked one up and are there any preferred methods of keeping the screen clean or anything? I'm assuming just a good wipe on a shirt or a cloth to clean one's glasses with will suffice.

Valtox

ThomPayne said:
I'm assuming just a good wipe on a shirt or a cloth to clean one's glasses with will suffice.
I think so.
The worst thing is when some dust particles end up beyond the cover. There's no escape afaik. (._.)

Daigoro

whats wrong with taking off the cover and dusting it?

i use compressed air sometimes too. i like to keep my Micro in some sort of pouch too, to discourage it getting extra dusty.

lyre

Daigoro said:
whats wrong with taking off the cover and dusting it?

i use compressed air sometimes too. i like to keep my Micro in some sort of pouch too, to discourage it getting extra dusty.
Nothing as far as I know. The Micro was designed to have the cover removed and replaced with ease afterall, what with replacable faceplates. Easy to do as well, on the left side of the units, there are two small pin holes. Press them down and the faceplate pops out. It snaps back in just as easily. A paperclip is perfect to use.

Hell, I do ritual cleaning/dusting of my Famicro on both sides of the face place and on the screen itself. Handy design, IMO.

I keep mine in a glasses bag, that way, I can use it to carry it around and use the bag to wipe down the screen as well.

BEST. HANDHELD. EVAR!

Snowball

Banned
RaidenZR said:
My Game Boy Micro and case!

gbm_01.jpg

gbm_02.jpg

gbm_03.jpg

Could you tell me where did you get this case?
It is awesome!!!

I've been meanin to pick up a Play-Yan Micro. But i was wonderin a couple things:
- What's on the MediaStage disc? (is it pretty much like a pspvideo9?)

- On the wiki page, it sez it only supports sd cards up to 1gb in capacity. Is this true? (I have a 2gb sd card).

- How's video playback on it? (Actually interested in watchin Jdoramas off of it, so in turn, also wondering how are subtitles on it.)

- How's the navigation? I'm familiar with some japanese, tho i'm hoping it's not too complicated.

- Are there any other concerns I should be aware of?
Any responses will be greatly appreciated. :)

If they've got one at Game Crazy when I go over there on my lunch break to pick up NCAA08 then i'll buy it and FF5 (the only portable FF I don't already have)

:D

I ended up picking up a Play-Yan Micro anyway, here are some pics:

848583238_e05398e9d5_o.jpg

848583250_2c57fd7370_o.jpg

848583254_912316e90d_o.jpg

848583262_617bf89fbc_o.jpg

With some messing around, I like the interface. There's actually no Japanese on it at all, except for that seizure warnin. Lol. But overall, simple and intuitive navigation.

It does however have that SD CARD ERROR when I tried my 2gb sd card on it. I gues the wiki page was true. :C Luckily I still had a spare 1gb sd card.

MP3 is nice, plus it allows for multi-lvl folders on the sd card. It has nice background animation too. You can also have a Mario background and flying stars animation by adding a file on the root directory of the sd card. If you wanted the original stick-man interface you could have it again by holding the R button when turning on the system (or remove the file altogether).

With headphones plugged in the cartridge headphone jack, you can also put the Play-Yan to sleep by pressing and holding the Start button. This has it so that other buttons being pressed won't affect playback as well as turns the screen off. Nice battery saver, plus it solves another concern I had bout if it were jumblin around in my pocket. You can exit sleep mode by pressing the Start button again.

Currently still messing around with video playback. Hopefully I'll get it working. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Darunia said:
I hate it when it gets bumped because I see Micros with black faceplates. I can't has black faceplate :(

Nintendo stopped selling them from their website? I could have sworn that when I last checked a week or two ago, they still carried black, silver, and Famicom faceplates.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mejilan said:
Nintendo stopped selling them from their website? I could have sworn that when I last checked a week or two ago, they still carried black, silver, and Famicom faceplates.

As far as I know, they still do. But you know what's the problem? Nintendo.com doesn't ship to Europe. And I'm European. The NOE site doesn't offer this service. Also, the GB Micro packs in Europe don't come with an extra faceplate in a different color :( My silver on silver is nice and all, but I'd like a black one a lot more.

Seraph830

Banned
n8NMONSTER said:
I ended up picking up a Play-Yan Micro
I was really considering getting one of those, as having movies in my pocket that small seemed like such an awesome idea.

but then i realized that it stuck out of the cartridge slot and ruined the sleek design, defeating the whole purpose of having a little streamlined unit that can play movies.

I just realized that I have every GBA except for this, but fact is I don't have many GBA Games. I want to own this though because it looks awesome. I'm sure I missed tons of great GBA games that I could pick up for cheap. Also, I noticed my EB had the Famicom Edition in for 30$. Curse you Nintendo for making good looking hardware!

Timo

can you just throw mp3's and video files onto a play yan or do you have to do some type of weird file system? i think i am starting to get the itch for one.

japtor

n8NMONSTER said:
- How's video playback on it? (Actually interested in watchin Jdoramas off of it, so in turn, also wondering how are subtitles on it.)
depends how big the subtitles are. i havent watched subbed stuff on mine, but have seen the occasional location text here and there. they have been readable, but barely. the issue isnt so much the screen size as it is the limited resolution. but again, it mainly depends on the size of the subs.
n8NMONSTER said:
With headphones plugged in the cartridge headphone jack, you can also put the Play-Yan to sleep by pressing and holding the Start button. This has it so that other buttons being pressed won't affect playback as well as turns the screen off. Nice battery saver, plus it solves another concern I had bout if it were jumblin around in my pocket. You can exit sleep mode by pressing the Start button again.

Currently still messing around with video playback. Hopefully I'll get it working. :)
a little warning about sleep mode, it might drain the battery faster if you sleep it while on a video. or just that video itself sucks up more battery...i just remember seeing the red lights sooner than usual on a recent trip after watching some videos and putting it into sleep mode.

as for videos, how are you encoding? if you have a mac i would suggest isquint, but i assume you dont. search for ipod or iphone or psp video encoders, the output should work on the play yan (basic mpeg 4, it cant play h.264/avc). except widescreen stuff...it seems to be retarded with that, gotta add letterboxing for widescreen.
TheGreatDave said:
God I hate it when this thread is bumped. It makes me feel like my one Micro isn't enough.
cause it isnt.
Seraph830 said:
I was really considering getting one of those, as having movies in my pocket that small seemed like such an awesome idea.

but then i realized that it stuck out of the cartridge slot and ruined the sleek design, defeating the whole purpose of having a little streamlined unit that can play movies.
its not too bad. the way the cart is designed it fits in pretty well, its not like an m3 cart (both pictured on the last page). well, at least on a black on black system.
Timo said:
can you just throw mp3's and video files onto a play yan or do you have to do some type of weird file system? i think i am starting to get the itch for one.
for mp3s it just gives a folder structure view and lets you play whatever is available at the current level. simple, but annoying. like if you have 2 playlists, just have 2 folders with whatever songs. but if you want the same songs in both, you need to have copies in both. for videos it just seems to scan for all videos on the card, then displays them 6 at a time.

its really retarded in a lot of ways (like not being able to play mp4 audio/m4a files...even though its the same audio in the mp4 videos), but it works enough to the point that i dont really care to get a new ipod or anything yet (i got the play yan after my mini was stolen). the annoying thing is that a lot of stuff could probably be addressed in a firmware update, but it seems to be another one of those nintendo things theyve left to die. ill probably get an iphone next year and relegate play yan to a backup travel player or something.

Due this the pics in the thread I decided to go get a Micro, THE SCREEN IS AMAZING!
Problem is I got rid of most of GBA games when the first DS came out so I could buy one. I need GAF guidance, what games should I buy right now? All I have left is Pokemon Fire Red, Advance Wars 2, and KH:COM.

Here are some results from the video playback test on the Play-Yan Micro:

858455706_2fcefd1766_o.jpg

Original File.

858484816_d64f477a60_o.jpg

Converted File on Play-Yan Micro.

The file I used was a recent jdrama i've been watching: Proposal Daisakusen.

The program I used was 3GP Converter v0.34, using the "Transcode" file I found at the bottom of the article found on this page:
http://www.drewery.net/blog/2006/01/13/getting-video-on-to-the-ipod/

The transcode file offered low/med/norm/high quality settings. The sizes for each converted file were:

HighQuaFullScreen = 226mb
NormQuaFullScreen = 173mb
MedQuaFullScreen = 120mb
LowQuaFullScreen = 67.4mb

The original file was 701mb.

858586896_69cd360cda_o.jpg

This means you could put about:

4 HighQua,
5 NormQua,
8 MedQua, or
14 LowQuality vids on a 1GB (~982mb) sd card.

Subtitles are small as expected but were readable on all. However, I'd recommend using at least MedQua setting as LowQuality is noticably blocky, pixely.

R increases the brightness up to 5 while L decreases it back to zero.
Up and Down increases/decreases volume.
Right and Left fast forwards or rewinds.
Start Pauses, and holding Start while on Pause puts it to Sleep (but probably drains battery faster like japtor sed).

If you press B you exit to the video menu:

858484828_6072de7b27_o.jpg

From here you can select to watch any other video or go to playing mp3s.

If you go back to the video, it has a nice memory option asking if you'd like to "Continue" or "Restart." Although memory is erased if the gameboy is turned off. Thankfully the forward and rewind options are fast either way.

Hah wow, i really put a lot into this. Lol.

To finish it off, here's a quick vid to how playback looks in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_xevEN3zXk

I got my GB Micro on tuesday, I haven't play with it much just popped in a FF5 cart to make sure it worked, the screen looks way better than GBA on DS

neoism

I just got to post in this thread. I love the micro, I got it about 2 months ago, and have been playing FF5 on it. I wish I had a camera so I could post pics. I got a silver one, I don't leave the house without it. :D

darkressurection said:
Due this the pics in the thread I decided to go get a Micro, THE SCREEN IS AMAZING!
Problem is I got rid of most of GBA games when the first DS came out so I could buy one. I need GAF guidance, what games should I buy right now? All I have left is Pokemon Fire Red, Advance Wars 2, and KH:COM.

Rhythm Tengoku has made a permanent home in my DS's GBA slot.

Yoschi

n8NMONSTER said:
[awesome Play-Yan sex]

wow, thanks for all this!
that definetely makes me buy a Play-Yan.. ..when i have money again (>_>)

congratulations to everyone who bought a micro and is happy with it, i never thought this thread would grow up to this!

could someone recommend me a store for cheap & original gbm faceplates wich sends them to european countries?
mine's all scratched up from the inside *duh*

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yoschi said:
could someone recommend me a store for cheap & original gbm faceplates wich sends them to european countries?
mine's all scratched up from the inside *duh*

I've looked on some sites, but aren't those official ones cheaper looking (decals) than the Nintendo ones? I really wanted a Nintendo official one, but you can't even find them on Ebay.

Yoschi

Darunia said:
I've looked on some sites, but aren't those official ones cheaper looking (decals) than the Nintendo ones? I really wanted a Nintendo official one, but you can't even find them on Ebay.

i would say that the official ones are the only good ones that fit perfectly on the micro.
i bought the "Marvel Mask Set" (you can find it on play-asia) wich contains a set of 8 faceplates. While they are not bad to look at, they just don't fit on the micro like they should and the build quality isn't that great too.
now i'm still stuck with my black faceplate while the others collect dust..

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yoschi said:
i would say that the official ones are the only good ones that fit perfectly on the micro.
i bought the "Marvel Mask Set" (you can find it on play-asia) wich contains a set of 8 faceplates. While they are not bad to look at, they just don't fit on the micro like they should and the build quality isn't that great too.
now i'm still stuck with my black faceplate while the others collect dust..

I'm looking for a black one! Wanna trade? :p Mine is silver. Man it sure as hell is a bitch to get a hold of these official ones when you live in Europe.

About those unofficial ones: that's what I thought. I saw some screens of them and it just didn't seem to fit right.

Tf53

Do you think you could paint the faceplate? Masking the screen is simple enough, but getting a solid enough coat on the faceplate is another thing.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ElectricBlue187 said:
I wish I could find Fire Emblem for GBA if it's the same gameplay as the gamecube game DO WANT
FE: The Sacred Stones has been hanging around Best Buy stores for $9.99 for some time now.

Provider

n8NMONSTER said:
Here are some results from the video playback test on the Play-Yan Micro:

858455706_2fcefd1766_o.jpg

Original File.

858484816_d64f477a60_o.jpg

Proposal Daisakusen!!

I need to get a GB micro, or two. Now that they're so cheap :p, no need for play yan, I have a PSP for that.

Bump for the greatest game system ever. I recently rediscovered my GBA library, it looks great on the GBM. I need to take some pics... (shame that I have that cheesy camo faceplate though, ugh)

Oh God, not this thread again.

ONE GAMEBOY MICRO IS ENOUGH.

*twitch*

Top Bottom