• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Valtox

the thoroughbred said:
I am thinking of buying the bitGenerations series. I have been waiting in futility for Nintendo to release them in PAL land. But I just watched a few videos on YouTube, and they seem to be entirely in English. I have a scary feeling, they will soon be out of print, and ebay prices will be high. Plus I hate ebay. Second hand ftl.

Q1) Are the manual's in English?
Q2) Wasn't there a box set released of all 7 games?
Q3) How much will shipping and tax be? Its going to cost me just under £60 for all.
1)No
2)No
3)Where are you from? It's 25% of the declared value here in Italy.

Valtox

the thoroughbred said:
I am thinking of buying the bitGenerations series. I have been waiting in futility for Nintendo to release them in PAL land. But I just watched a few videos on YouTube, and they seem to be entirely in English. I have a scary feeling, they will soon be out of print, and ebay prices will be high. Plus I hate ebay. Second hand ftl.

Q1) Are the manual's in English?
Q2) Wasn't there a box set released of all 7 games?
Q3) How much will shipping and tax be? Its going to cost me just under £60 for all.
1)No
2)No
3)Where are you from? If you get caught it's 25% of the declared value here in Italy.

jluedtke

Got mine today.

gameboymicro1.jpg

It almost makes me want to pull a Chobot.

stuminus3

Banned
I have an enormous amount of love for my GBM, even after being seduced by the DS Lite and it's eyeball-searing brightness.

I REALLY wish Nintendo's so-called 'third pillar' strategy actually meant something other than being something to fall back on if the DS wasn't as big as a success as it's being. IMO, the GBM doesn't NEED a successor (which unfortunately the DS has become)... it's pretty much the last hope for old school gimmick-free 2D gaming, what with the DS being all dual-screen and touchy, the Wii being all motion-controlled, and everything else being all 'LOOK AT ME HD HI-TECH 3D WOW!'.

It's perfect for what it does, and could continue to do so for many, many years to come... if Nintendo hadn't dropped the whole Game Boy line like a lead balloon.

<3 GBM!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GBA/GBA SP/GBm had a great run. DS is also seeing a slew of excellent 2D content (with and without touchiness).

Gotta admit though, I retired my GBm when I got a DSL, but now that I've partaken of its tiny goodness once again, I've found my new favorite GBA device. :D

womp

Sorry I disagree...DS -> GBA any day of the week.

Not to say the GBA was a bad system, no, I bought 2 at launch but there is a reason I own almost 60 DS games in under 2 years while only owning around 10 GBA carts since it launched. GBA is more or less a portable SNES. Boring. It does nothing new technically and even took away buttons in the process. Welcome to 1992. Nothing wrong with that but the DS isn't in the same boat to make it fair nor very exciting as a gamer. Totally different animal. I'm personally glad to see the GBA going the way of the dinosaur especially in view of the software we've seen for it over the past couple of years...Poor kids and movie license titles were outnumbering quality 1st rate titles 10:1. It was damn near embarassing as a gamer. It was becoming a cesspool for low quality shovelware. Nintendo rested on their laurels and thank you Sony for waking them up and giving us the awesome DS.

The DS has brought so much more to the table its not even worth comparing the two. DS by a long shot. Heck just the single cart multiplay aspect with up to 8 people in some games alone is huge. Plus hey, you get access to GBA to boot so everyone wins. Developers are able to take things to new fresher directions which is why the DS has become the insane buzz system in the industry right now.

That all aside, the GB Micro is a neat little system that I'd love to check out as a compliment to my DS for when my DS cannot be with me.

womp

No more love?

I am loving everyone's pics...More please. :D

The red with the black faceplate may be the snazziest of the bunch.

Valtox

womp said:

Not to say the GBA was a bad system, no, I bought 2 at launch but there is a reason I own almost 60 DS games in under 2 years while only owning around 10 GBA carts since it launched. GBA is more or less a portable SNES. Boring. It does nothing new technically and even took away buttons in the process. Welcome to 1992. Nothing wrong with that but the DS isn't in the same boat to make it fair nor very exciting as a gamer. Totally different animal. I'm personally glad to see the GBA going the way of the dinosaur especially in view of the software we've seen for it over the past couple of years...Poor kids and movie license titles were outnumbering quality 1st rate titles 10:1. It was damn near embarassing as a gamer. It was becoming a cesspool for low quality shovelware. Nintendo rested on their laurels and thank you Sony for waking them up and giving us the awesome DS.

The DS has brought so much more to the table its not even worth comparing the two. DS by a long shot. Heck just the single cart multiplay aspect with up to 8 people in some games alone is huge. Plus hey, you get access to GBA to boot so everyone wins. Developers are able to take things to new fresher directions which is why the DS has become the insane buzz system in the industry right now.

That all aside, the GB Micro is a neat little system that I'd love to check out as a compliment to my DS for when my DS cannot be with me.
the fact is that the GBm is the ONLY portable console.
By this I mean a console that you can pop out of your pocket and play everywhere you are, without messing with a stylus and being no bigger that a cell phone to carry.
This id why I (and I think all of us) are all in love with our GBm.
If you got only 10 games for it you missed something for sure:
2 metroid
2 advance wars
ffta
mario&luigi
2 zelda
2 golden sun
2 wario ware
guru logi champ
2 boktai
mario vs dk
f zero (the first is the one i liked more)
lots of castlevania games
mario golf
mario platformers if you didn't play all of the on nes/snes
astro boy
mario kart
drill dozer!
(without mentioning pokemon if you like)
sound voyager and most if not all the bit generation games
Rhythm Tengoku

Ok, maybe you don' t like the GBm, but at least use that port 2 on your DS ;)

womp

Valtox said:
the fact is that the GBm is the ONLY portable console.
By this I mean a console that you can pop out of your pocket and play everywhere you are, without messing with a stylus and being no bigger that a cell phone to carry.
This id why I (and I think all of us) are all in love with our GBm.
If you got only 10 games for it you missed something for sure:
2 metroid
2 advance wars
ffta
mario&luigi
2 zelda
2 golden sun
2 wario ware
guru logi champ
2 boktai
mario vs dk
f zero (the first is the one i liked more)
lots of castlevania games
mario golf
mario platformers if you didn't play all of the on nes/snes
astro boy
mario kart
drill dozer!
(without mentioning pokemon if you like)
sound voyager and most if not all the bit generation games
Rhythm Tengoku

Ok, maybe you don' t like the GBm, but at least use that port 2 on your DS ;)

Never said I don't like the Micro, its neat and I've retired my GBA since the DS came around because OF the Slot 2. ;)

I've got the games that interest me already, trust me I am fully aware of the GBA library having owned it since launch (FZERO and COTM were my first titles). Stuff like Boktai (Can't stand Lunar Knights either, played for hours and bored the crap out of me) and Golden Sun don't interest me in the least otherwise I've played everything on that list already at some point in time. Some games I've played, finished and sold etc but yeah...Great list overall. Wario Twisted I bought on release and is one of my faves especially.

I have to say you are right about the Micro being the most 'Portable' in terms of whipping it out of anywhere you may be but at the end of the day the DS is simply one of my favorite gaming systems ever, bar none that I've owned...And I've pretty much owned them all at some point since the 70's. The fact the DS Lite is portable is icing on the cake HOWEVER I'd still like a GB Micro to compliment it. :)

womp

Jefklak said:
At your request sir --

Awesome stuff...The Micro screen looks great, it has 2 brightness settings right? I think I'm liking the silver frame/black faceplate model myself at the moment. Althought the Famicom one looks snazzy it just doesn't have any connection with me in terms of nostalgia that a true NES faceplate would have.

Thanks for posting them. :)

Fusebox

Banned
Damn I love that Famicon GBm!! Can't believe the only locally available Famicon GBm I know of is $250 whereas my red one only cost me $50 - waaaah!

womp said:

Yeah for sure, but then GBM -> DSL any day of the week - hence the sweaty, musky love-in that is this thread.

Mejilan

Wow, Sabin's (FFVI) Blitzes are amazingly easy to perform on a GBm. Quite a bit easier than on a DSL, though I had no significant problems there.

Valtox

womp said:
Awesome stuff...The Micro screen looks great, it has 2 brightness settings right? I think I'm liking the silver frame/black faceplate model myself at the moment. Althought the Famicom one looks snazzy it just doesn't have any connection with me in terms of nostalgia that a true NES faceplate would have.

Thanks for posting them. :)
GBM has lots of brightness settings. You press L while adjusting the volume. Maybe 10 levels or so. :)
@Powerslave: 29&#8364;! Get it while stock lasts!

womp

Fusebox said:
Damn I love that Famicon GBm!! Can't believe the only locally available Famicon GBm I know of is $250 whereas my red one only cost me $50 - waaaah!

Yeah for sure, but then GBM -> DSL any day of the week - hence the sweaty, musky love-in that is this thread.

Oh no, I understand thats what this thread is about but it was brought up earlier...Didn't mean to throw off topic. heh.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been playing the micro a lot the past few weeks, and I even became accustomed to the shoulder buttons. I had the reflex to press them at the outer edges, but it's actually much more comfortable if you press the inner edges. I play Drill Dozer now without ever having a cramped feeling.

Anyway my request from the previous page still stands: if anyone wants to order a black faceplate from the Nintendo store and send it to Europe, that would be totally awesome. I'd pay extra for the trouble etc

womp

Mejilan said:
GBm has 5 brightness levels, by my count.

But none are close to the Lite right? However the Micro is brighter than the SP Version 2?

Or is it somewhere in between?

Mejilan

I haven't done a direct comparison, but I'd say that the GBm at brightness level 5 (max) is on par with a DSL brightness level 4 (max). GBA SP v2 only has two settings, IIRC (off and OMG bright) and I THINK the GBm was potentially brighter, but I haven't touched my GBA SP v2 since the day I bought it.

womp

Mejilan said:
I haven't done a direct comparison, but I'd say that the GBm at brightness level 5 (max) is on par with a DSL brightness level 4 (max). GBA SP v2 only has two settings, IIRC (off and OMG bright) and I THINK the GBm was potentially brighter, but I haven't touched my GBA SP v2 since the day I bought it.

SP v2 has bright and brighter basically, I don't own one but I've played with one at a kiosk. In any case it sounds like the Micro is nothing to sneeze at...Sounds like it's brighter than SP v2 anyway.

Mejilan

The only purpose my GBA SP v2 has now is to play GB/GBC software (and it has the best screen for that). GBm and DS/DSL are GBA-only, of course.

Edit - Yeah, that's right. Regular GBA SP was off/on. GBA SP v2 just has two brightness levels, with no way to turn the light off. Lower level was roughly on par with the regular SP's "on", IIRC.

stuminus3 said:
I have an enormous amount of love for my GBM, even after being seduced by the DS Lite and it's eyeball-searing brightness.

I REALLY wish Nintendo's so-called 'third pillar' strategy actually meant something other than being something to fall back on if the DS wasn't as big as a success as it's being. IMO, the GBM doesn't NEED a successor (which unfortunately the DS has become)... it's pretty much the last hope for old school gimmick-free 2D gaming, what with the DS being all dual-screen and touchy, the Wii being all motion-controlled, and everything else being all 'LOOK AT ME HD HI-TECH 3D WOW!'.

It's perfect for what it does, and could continue to do so for many, many years to come... if Nintendo hadn't dropped the whole Game Boy line like a lead balloon.

<3 GBM!

Junior, but I like you. QFT.

Said this many times, but one more can't hurt.

I never had a GB of any sort. I recently got really interested in old school style gaming. I wanted to experience games, that had more though put into them, due to the lack of technical freedom (Technical freedom is something I am not a fan of, in any form of technology. I guess people would call me a minimalist or modernist.) So I bought a GBM last Spring, then bought around 25 games for it during the summer. Still only completed 2, but I still enjoy it, the best bought product of 2006 for me.

Valtox said:
1)No
2)No
3)Where are you from? If you get caught it's 25% of the declared value here in Italy.

Thanks for the answers. I am in the UK. But I always find the tax is never what it should be. Maybe they estimate the value wrong. Also I hate UK Customs & Excize. They always hold on to my orders for around 3-4 weeks. Once an mp3 player took 8 weeks to reach me.

Lee N

Membre
About the backlit gba sp (sorry for posting this in the micro thread), is it available in Japan? Can't seem to find any web shops selling it.

So the GBM has a "sleep" feature? Like, you can just pause mid-game, put it to sleep (save battery life) then turn it on and play right where you left off?

Valtox

playstencil said:
So the GBM has a "sleep" feature? Like, you can just pause mid-game, put it to sleep (save battery life) then turn it on and play right where you left off?
No.
If the feature is present in the game already, you can use in on GBm and any other console that runs GBA games.

cvxfreak

Lee N said:
About the backlit gba sp (sorry for posting this in the micro thread), is it available in Japan? Can't seem to find any web shops selling it.

Was never released there, and most likely never will.

Mejilan

No version of the GBA hardware has a hardware sleep mode. Software sleep was increasingly included in GBA games, however.

Lee N

Membre
cvxfreak said:
Was never released there, and most likely never will.
That's odd.. I guess I'll have to score one on ebay or something.

Mejilan said:
No version of the GBA hardware has a hardware sleep mode. Software sleep was increasingly included in GBA games, however.
Well, it is a hardware function. But you access through a software call.. I think all first party titles support it, but I might be wrong.

Valtox

PA.43332.002.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ju-49-en-70-xfo.html
PA.43331.003.jpg

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ju-49-en-70-xfn.html

Who nows what's the difference within these 2 products? (ok the presence of mediastage:D )
What's this mediastage program?
Will it work on non-japanese PCs?
Is the play yan worth buying seen that is in japanese only and the flashcards permit to play mp3 or avi(without any conversion is it true)?
Would it (flash card or play yan) save me the purchase of an hard disk mp3 player that I'd use to play small sized movies and mp3?
:)

Lee N

Membre
tahrikmili said:
do GBA Micros have region protection? If I import one from US for cheap, can I play games I buy in PAL-land?
PAL is a (along with NTSC, soon defunct) TV standard that has absolutely nothing to do with portable games. Using it to describe a region is not only inaccurate but it also causes needless confusion about compatibility.

The term PAL/NTSC games was mostly used back in the day when consoles had fixed outputs, variable outputs was pretty much standardized with the last generation (most games supported NTSC outputs even on European machines) which rendered the term "PAL" inaccurate - and now with the coming HD generation television sets have the same resolution and refresh rate all over the world thus rendering the PAL and NTSC standards obsolete.

But the short answer is that there's no region protection on GBA, that said there are the occasionally version differences that sometimes can cause multiplayer to stop working between different region versions of the games. This is entirely a coding issue though and has absolutely nothing to do with hardware from different regions.

Jefklak

womp said:
Awesome stuff...The Micro screen looks great, it has 2 brightness settings

More than two, but the pic has the second highest setting, I think, was a couple of months ago.
Edit: whoops, already answered 3 times

S. L.

anybody can recommend me a baseball game for gba? and a shop that ships it to germany? looks like there isn't a single bball game released here :/

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I have taken up playing games on the GBM again and it rocks. My bro took over my DSL to play his megamen battle network series and I wanted to revisit pokemon etc and I love it. It truly is portable and the screen is more comfortable than you would think being so small.

p.s. f u feebas.

knoo

When I saw the 29 &#8364; offer I couldn´t resist and ordered a second one, just in case my first one breaks or something... and I´m afraid they will be out of stock soon enough...

Jacobi

Banned
Valtox said:
Who nows what's the difference within these 2 products? (ok the presence of mediastage:D )
What's this mediastage program?
Will it work on non-japanese PCs?
Is the play yan worth buying seen that is in japanese only and the flashcards permit to play mp3 or avi(without any conversion is it true)?
Would it (flash card or play yan) save me the purchase of an hard disk mp3 player that I'd use to play small sized movies and mp3?
:)
Only the presence of mediastage
yes, but..it's japanese
it can play mp3s and converted videos, but you don't need mediastage, there's a very good program for that on the internet for free
depends on your use
1 GB max
so you can't save too much on one SD card
if you buy several of em it's OK though I guess

the play yan is the only thing i use the micro for nowadays :)

Mejilan

Lee N said:
Well, it is a hardware function. But you access through a software call.. I think all first party titles support it, but I might be wrong.

Peh. You know what I meant. GBA doesn't support a sleep mode call initiated by manipulating the system, only one initiated via a game prompt.

Top Bottom