• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher Official Trailer

Anung

Un Rama
That simple jack hairstyle though...
francis.png
what were they thinking?

Netflix's The Punisher |OT| I Am Frank

Good trailer. Not gonna lie the mediocrity of The Defenders and shitness of Iron Fist has killed my hype in Netflix MCU a lot and I love The Punisher so I need this to be real good.

Big Nikus

Trailer is great, I hope it hits in november.

I wonder how many times people are gonna quote and correct me before reading further down the thread.

Yeah that's always something that irks me. We'd avoid so much clutter in most of the threads if people would read other answers instead of wanting to hit the reply asap.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Netflix's The Punisher |OT| I Am Frank

Good trailer. Not gonna lie the mediocrity of The Defenders and shitness of Iron Fist has killed my hype in Netflix MCU a lot and I love The Punisher so I need this to be real good.

Netflix's The Punisher |OT| Never Go Full Vigilante

Nightmare, ya dummy.

I really really hope they don't glorify the man. There's a very fine line that separates the good Punisher portrayals from the bad ones, and that usually is how "heroic" Frank's actions are. A good Punisher show would explore that moral gray area and see just how Frank's relentless killing impacts the world around him. And as much as I enjoy reading Ennis' run, I hope they don't make the bad guys here cartoonishly evil and depraved.

I’ve read the entirety of the Ennis Max run and I never really considered any of the villains to be cartoonish – even somebody like Barracuda.

Maybe a bit extreme in their villainy but they always managed to feel reasonably close to the kinds of sociopathic denizens you would assume probably frequent the criminal underworld.

Now Jigsaw in the film Punisher: Warzone – that was cartoonish.

HStallion

Barracuda didn't die there... again

Its been a while since I bothered reading it. I thought they had the brilliant idea to keep him dead after this comic because... Eminem was really popular? I'm not sure. Maybe it wasn't even Barricuda.

JustinBB7

Damnnnnn, Metallica being on of my fav bands helped a lot but man what a cool trailer. Did seem a bit Wick at that part like said but that's just even better. Can't wait for this, hurry up netflix.

Rymuth

Its been a while since I bothered reading it. I thought they had the brilliant idea to keep him dead after this comic because... Eminem was really popular? I'm not sure. Maybe it wasn't even Barricuda.
It was. And he used to be friends with Eminem back in their 'rapping' days...

Or was it 'gangsta' days...I forget

HStallion

When Frank Castle kills people he uses Liquid Gel Pens. He doesn't bother with pencils.

Could hardly hear the bass in that trailer, but it looks pretty damn good.

I know, right?

Maybe it's just an error in the compression or something got borked in the upload.

edit: Actually, shit. Wait. I'm just listening to it now. Not watching it - I think this trailer house actually PUT A BASSLINE IN.

There's even a bass breakdown in the middle of the trailer.

What CAN'T MARVEL DO

They're gonna.

They need to.

Punisher works best as a jet-black satire/parody of crime stories. There are some times where you can almost play him straight up, but in order to make him repugnant as he should be, and also make him a character (or force of nature) you have to root for, you've gotta send his villains screaming so far over the top...

This one? Best case scenario is it gets kiiiinda close to Brubaker's run. Maybe.

Should be interesting to watch though. Hopefully. It's still Netflix Marvel, which means at least 4 of these episodes are guaranteed to just sit there. Inert and lifeless.
*sigh* Can't a man get a good anti-hero?

I also hope this manages to capture the Frank Rucka wrote, because that Frank wasn't characterized much. He was just a force of nature that everyone feared, while Cole-Alves got the majority of the depth & nuance. Even then, Brubaker did amazing things with Frank, like the issue with the kid yelling at Frank he wasn't a soldier. Frank's not a hero. He's a psychopath who happens to kill bad people. Is he tortured? Sure. But that doesn't excuse the bodycount he brings up.

Ultimately, I think you're right. There are two ways to portray Frank Castle.

1. He's a bad man who kills bad guys. You wallow into that pool of morally reprehensible behavior and you make your audience polarized on the Punisher.

2. You make him a fucked up man who kills the worst in society. He's a damaged man acting out the worst impulses of the American public when it comes to news of killers and rapists.

The Kree

Banned
I know, right?

Maybe it's just an error in the compression or something got borked in the upload.

edit: Actually, shit. Wait. I'm just listening to it now. Not watching it - I think this trailer house actually PUT A BASSLINE IN.

There's even a bass breakdown in the middle of the trailer.

What CAN'T MARVEL DO

You could rip the stems from Rock Band and do the same shit. Or you could download the .mogg files off the internet and save time.

kunonabi

That was some very good usage of Metallica.

I can't even complain. They cut that together pretty fuckin well.

(I don't know that I like Frank bellowing and howling like that, but that's how this Frank does it, so I'll roll with it)

(I also don't care how people are holding their guns. This isn't a documentary)

Its kind of important for Frank though. The one thing that sets him apart from every other gun toting vigilante is that military percision and training. Being able to turn the city into an actual war zone and using that extreme discipline and strategic thinking is what keeps him alive. Its one of the main reasons i hated War Zone.

Tobor

That was some very good usage of Metallica.

I can't even complain. They cut that together pretty fuckin well.

(I don't know that I like Frank bellowing and howling like that, but that's how this Frank does it, so I'll roll with it)

(I also don't care how people are holding their guns. This isn't a documentary)

This has been the year of amazing song choices in trailers.

Thor Ragnarok - Immigrant Song
Stranger Things - Thriller
Punisher - One

All perfectly matched. I love it!

kaskade

Great trailer, looks pretty much like exactly what I wanted out of a Punisher show at this point.

No date just just becoming kind of annoying right now though, feels like the Sombra release. Hopefully they just drop the show one day if they continue to be so secretive about it.

I'm a big fan of Berenthal's Punisher from DD S2 (and Berenthal's work in other roles too), and I though the trailer looks great. I'm very hopeful that this will be a turnout from the problems the recent Marvel series have had.

Can't wait to see it.

I hope they position him as a truly bad person as well. Too many people (re: sociopaths and morons) wish they were the Punisher. Will be interesting to see if they can walk that line while delivering a show I still want to watch.

Quick

Banned
Looks good to me. I'm also good with taking a break from the Manhattan setting, if partially (looks like it'll still have scenes there anyway).

I think I saw November 3, 2017 when the date started "glitching". I'm probably just seeing things.

I would be excited, but the song choice killed it for me.

I don't like Metallica and I HAAAAATE One.

Enter Sandman and For Whom The Bell Tolls are p alright tho

JCHandsom

Excellent trailer; loved Bernthal in DDS2, and am very excited to see where they go from here. I'm curious to see people's reactions to Frank primarily going after Homeland Security, FBI, and CIA types instead of his usual gang members, serial killers, and mafioso. Would be a good way to sidestep the uncomfortable "Cops love Frank" and minority aspects. Which comic villain are they going to try and introduce here?

The Punisher [OT] The Buck Stops Here

That's a good one

Top Bottom