• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Punisher Official Trailer

first netflix marvel show I'm watching since part of Luke Cage. looks pretty dope.

it could have done without any of the characters from the other shows though. the supporting characters in daredevil are so damn boring. hopefully karen gets one episode appearance tops.

if this whole soundtrack is metal that would be baller.

I hope they keep his hair buzzed for most of the series, because I can't unsee Simple Jack in the scenes where it's a little longer.

DrBo42

Canted gun sights are real and popular thing now. Close in range, you turn your weapon sideways for the close in optics or iron sights

Yeah. There's no canted sight on that weapon though (or any optic at all), and they're never at such an angle your weapon is completely on its side. It's just some stylish nonsense. Which actually really bothers me when it comes to The Punisher.

Have you read the MAX comics?

Clearly not because those MAX comics gave us some truly chilling insight into the character that is anything but a glorification of his escapades.

Punisher Born for example demonstrates that Castle was always a borderline sociopath and once he lost his family, he was unleashed to become the dark, brooding thing that was always lingering just under the surface of his conscious self.

And DD Season 2 clearly touched upon the instability within the psyche of the character.

Sygma

Castle's fighting is "too slow" ? I mean he just punch people until they die, when he's not busy putting stuff front toward the enemy, or killing people undetected by breaking their neck with a one hit palm move.

Everything else is about guns and grenades.

Or mowing down injured dwarves with a chaingun. I hope we ll get plenty of the prison fight scene in terms of brutality, but not so much as it becomes ... trivial, and somehow boring

the best punisher material depicts him as the crazy person he actually is so if this does that, i'm super excited

better than iron fist already tbh

Other than using a thoroughly anti-war song for Marvel's most violent show, featuring a vicious veteran bringing war to home.

I guess.

I really like the song, tho.

I think the best Punisher comics (specifically most of Ennis' run) are fundamentally anti-war. Hopefully this show follows suit.

Daredevil Season 2 is among my favorite Netflix series seasons and The Punisher is my favorite Marvel character. That trailer was amazing. I really really hope it's a return to form for the Defenders-Universe, because after Daredevil Season 2 it became worse with every new season. I am especially disappointed by The Defenders. It's simply kinda boring to watch.

the best punisher material depicts him as the crazy person he actually is so if this does that, i'm super excited

better than iron fist already tbh
Well in Daredevil Season 2
it's revealed that there's a bullet fragment or something like that lodged in his brain, so I think they're gonna take the mentally unstable angle.

Daredevil Season 2 is among my favorite Netflix series seasons and The Punisher is my favorite Marvel character. That trailer was amazing. I really really hope it's a return to form for the Defenders-Universe, because after Daredevil Season 2 it became worse with every new season. I am especially disappointed by The Defenders. It's simply kinda boring to watch.

That's where I'm at with most of the Marvel Netflix shows to be honest. I had no problems getting through either Daredevil season, but I found everything else to be pretty intolerable.

Jessica Jones was like six episodes too long and other than Tennant and the lady from The Matrix, was filled with just godawful writing and performances (yes, Ritter included). Other than the Bring the Ruckus scene Luke Cage was incredibly dull and I'm still shocked at how well received it was.

Fury451

Banned
Hopefully no where close to this show.

She's going to have to save him from near death and patch up his wounds, you just know it.

That's the thing about having a nurse as a friend if you're at street level vigilante, she's literally the most useful asset that you will ever have.

Boem

Wow if true wasn't expecting it that quick

Well they have been ramping up the marketing a lot recently, so I was expecting it sooner rather than later.

Although that's much closer to Stranger Things season 2 than I was expecting. I would guess that's going to eat a lot of Punisher's hype given how huge that show is. But what do I know, I'm certainly no marketing expert.

Kayhan

First half of Daredevil Season 2 was the best the Marvel Netflix shows have been and all because of The Punisher so I have high hopes for this.

They NEED this to be different. The Marvel Netflix shows are starting to get really stale and same.

Bernthal is perfect casting as Frank Castle.

Fury451

Banned
Early October seems a little too soon, I would imagine it might come sometime in October or early November at the latest. It looks like it's more or less finished, maybe just a little more touch up work or something.

Love Bernthal in DDS2, thought he was easily the best thing out of that season. Haven't watched a marvel show since Luke Cage but Im all in on this one.

iJack

Banned
I was literally playing air drums by the middle of the trailer. I don't think I got this excited and surprised by a trailer since the first Guardians trailer.

xXRxUml.gif

neoanarch

Yeah same day as mindhunter and so close to stranger things makes no sense. These are all huge projects from netflix
Netflix doesn't care and isn't in the business of dictating overlap decide when something is released.
They are interested in having the shows on the catalog. The people who binge it day of release are just as important as someone who will watch an episode five years from now.

Simo

UK magazine, SFX, has a review in their new issue of the complete season. Reviewer rated 4.5 out of 5.

Some points from the review.
  • "This is as hard boiled as on-screen Marvel has been, which is great if you like designer violence, but surely there's more to the show than that? Well...yes. A lot more."
  • More praises for Bernthal as Frank as well as the rest of the cast particularly Micro and Lewis, "a deranged former Marine".
  • Review mentions how better paced the 11 episodes are over most Netflix shows.
  • Negatives for the reviewer is how the final episodes turn into nothing but mostly a "bloodbath". They also took issue with Frank's "code" in how in one instance he's worried taking out soldiers just doing their job and in the next happily slaughtering private contractors.
  • "It's also annoying that the only anti-gun voice in the entire thing is a odius slimeball."

Final verdict.
A well-crafted, hugely entertaining series, even if It's own attitude towards violence is deeply, deeply muddled.

Again the review mentions that if you base your enjoyment over particular political views, you'll probably see the series as a thinly veiled ad for the NRA.

Also looks the series is dropping next month given this review was in their December issue and states the series is available now.

UK magazine, SFX, has a review in their new issue of the complete season. Reviewer rated 4.5 out of 5.

• "This is as hard boiled as on-screen Marvel has been, which is great if you like designer violence, but surely there's more to the show than that? Well...yes. A lot more."
  • More praises for Bernthal as Frank as well as the rest of the cast particularly Micro and Lewis, "a deranged former Marine".
  • Negatives for the reviewer is how the final episodes turn into nothing but mostly a "bloodbath". They also took issue with Frank's "code" in how in one instance he's worried taking out soldiers just doing their job and in the next happily slaughtering private contractors.
  • "It's also annoying that the only anti-gun voice in the entire thing is a odius slimeball."

Final verdict.

Again the review mentions that if you base your enjoyment over particular political views, you'll probably see the series as a thinly veiled ad for the NRA.

Also looks the series is dropping next month given this review was in their December issue and states the series is available now.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

disappointing if it actually does feel like that.

Simo

Great. The actor was good playing him in the Daredevil. I think they pushed it back because of the Nevada shooting.

Yeah sounds like it, especially if they got to see the entire series. Reviewer praises the plot too, lots of twists and turns, without too many specifics.

Simo

Any praise for the action?

Yep. Again doesn't go into detail but lists it as "excellent action sequences, slimy believable villains and twists galore."

Seems like the last episodes are more heavy, blood spattering, action that the reviewer took issue with because the series up until then was more compelling.

Final verdict.

Can't wait. I'm completely fine with televised fictional violence.

Remmy2112

Frank is a hypocrite, so that's not really unexpected, though the reviewer seems to have misunderstood Frank's mental gymnastics there. The soldiers, if they are US, are not shielded from him because they are "just doing their jobs," they are shielded because they are wearing the uniform and flag of the United States of America. Private contractors are little more than mercenaries serving the interests of money, with no higher ideals, just trying to collect a big paycheck or blood money, so he has no qualms about offing them.

neoanarch

Yeah. Frank is a villain playing hero. He's sometimes depicted in a way that makes him seem Noble I guess. But make no mistake Frank is the type of goon who doesn't distinguish between a kid selling pot and a cartel. If it comes off as a thing veiled NRA ad then it's also a blatant criticism of that same shit.

I really hope Season 2 of this show at least has a more balanced view of guns. The Punisher is as pro-gun as they get, but an exploration into what his violence does to his victims' families could catapult the show into GOAT status.

XAL

Frank is a hypocrite, so that's not really unexpected, though the reviewer seems to have misunderstood Frank's mental gymnastics there. The soldiers, if they are US, are not shielded from him because they are "just doing their jobs," they are shielded because they are wearing the uniform and flag of the United States of America. Private contractors are little more than mercenaries serving the interests of money, with no higher ideals, just trying to collect a big paycheck or blood money, so he has no qualms about offing them.

Yeah US soldiers =/= Blackwater types

Top Bottom