• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Oxn

Probably the X. No one I talk to cares about the 8.

Also Verizon has shipped my +.

I also got the +, but although i expect the X to do very well, im not sure it'll be breaking any records anymore, unit wise, maybe by revenue from the higher price.

Dazzler

I ordered my 8+ the moment pre-orders went live and my shipping estimate is Monday

Feels bad man, wanted it for the weekend

Vuze

Still estimated for Friday over here but still stuck in shipping preparation 😥 Don't fail me UPS
No word on my ATV 4K but that's to be expected since it's a reseller. I'll take a slight delay for 10% off.

jiiikoo

Banned
I ordered my 8+ the moment pre-orders went live and my shipping estimate is Monday

Feels bad man, wanted it for the weekend
I too ordered a series 3 watch and monday for me too (still showing prepping for shipment), but I guess its because I live at the end of the world, Oulu, Finland.

Charcoal

Thought this might be a fitting place to ask. For anyone that has an Apple Watch, how has the aluminum version fared over time? I want a stainless steel, but $900 is pretty steep right now.

Dazzler

I too ordered a series 3 watch and monday for me too (still showing prepping for shipment), but I guess its because I live at the end of the world, Oulu, Finland.

I'm in Vancouver, BC. Guess our American friends are getting dat sweet Friday shipping

marrec

Banned
Thought this might be a fitting place to ask. For anyone that has an Apple Watch, how has the aluminum version fared over time? I want a stainless steel, but $900 is pretty steep right now.
I've worn mine nearly everyday for a year and there is one or two superficial stretches that are very difficult to see. The glass has easier to see scratches than the aluminum.

Vuze

It’s really not particularly durable in my experience. I do a lot of manual labor each day and mine had several scuffs and scratches on the case after 4 or 5 months. The composite back was also scratched as hell. I got a great deal on a SS and it held up perfectly. It’s scratches, of course, since it’s polished stainless steel. But you can polish the case if you so desire which isn’t possible with Aluminium. The scratches are really only noticeable in direct lightning so it doesn’t bother me whereas on the Aluminium watch it chips off the color. The ceramic back doesn’t have a single scratch at all. Also: sapphire glass on the SS vs gorilla glass on the Aluminium. Not a single scratch on the display either after 5 months but it’ll scatter more easily should you ever drop it, so ACP is a must imo.

If you’re mostly wearing it for sports or office it should be fine.

ZOONAMI

I'm guessing it looks like I can just walk into tmobile and pick up an 8 plus, which is bonkers compared to last year 7+ being sold out for months.

ZOONAMI

LOL at a $900 apple watch. I still get more compliments with a gen 1 stainless moto 360.

Red

I've still yet to see a single person in the wild with an Apple watch. Not even one. Not even just a passerby or anything. Literally no one.
And that signifies...?
My wife’s aluminum series 0 is scratched to hell. Works fine though.

Vuze

I've still yet to see a single person in the wild with an Apple watch. Not even one. Not even just a passerby or anything. Literally no one.
Pretty weird, I've seen atleast 10 individual people by now using one and Germany/Austria is by far no Apple stronghold (unfortunately 😜)

RDreamer

And that signifies...?

I dunno, I guess I just live in a weird place that doesn't buy 'em. See plenty of iPhones and have tons of friends with them. Lots of friends have Apple TVs, tons have MacBooks. None with apple watches. I think it's more just a bizarre thing to have never seen one.

border

People with Apple Watches are all over the place. You don't really notice them because you're not really looking for them.

LOL at a $900 apple watch. I still get more compliments with a gen 1 stainless moto 360.

So you are wearing 2 smart watches and switching off between them, trying to judge which one gets you more compliments?

Dead

well not really...yet
Do you live in the woods? I see them on tons of people every day. I see more people wearing apple watches than regular watches tbh.

RDreamer

I’m not sure what difference any of this makes though.

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to derail everything. Not shitting on the Apple watch or anything. I'm an apple fan and the device seems cool enough if I needed a watch. Just musing a bit that I hadn't really ever seen one in the wild.

DonShula

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to derail everything. Not shitting on the Apple watch or anything. I'm an apple fan and the device seems cool enough if I needed a watch. Just musing a bit that I hadn't really ever seen one in the wild.

That's crazy to me. At my current job probably half the building wears one. At my last job, the company bought one for every employee.

kaskade

Wonder if the Apple TV review embargo will be up tomorrow since yesterday was the phone and today the watch. I just wanna know the quality of them vids.

I see them all over where I live (South Jersey). It really surprised me to see how many people own one. In particularly my community college is full of people wearing them and when I go to local tracks I see a lot of people sporting it. I know you can't really speculate since they all look similar to one another, but if I had to fancy a guess I'd say the majority of people are buying the $200-$300 Series 1 watch that goes on sale regularly compared to the more expensive models.

Acyl

You guys. It makes perfect sense that Apple watches and other smartwatches are almost ubiquitous in urban areas and not popular in rural regions. You don't have to give anecdotes about how you see them all the time because one person shared that they don't.

On topic tho, my watch just got to Kentucky in the tracking progress!

killroy87

Do we know anything about when 4K content will come to iTunes, and which current movies will be supported? I want Spider-Man Homecoming, and want to know if I should get the 4K blu or if iTunes will eventually give me that version.

Do we know anything about when 4K content will come to iTunes, and which current movies will be supported? I want Spider-Man Homecoming, and want to know if I should get the 4K blu or if iTunes will eventually give me that version.

4K content is already there, if you’re on an updated device and browse the movies it’ll say 4K and an HDR format instead of HD if it’s the newer version of the movie. I own John Wick in 4K right now, and on the front page there’s Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, and probably some others.

Redeemed codes get updated as well. So any code that would normally redeem in HD will redeem automatically in 4K if that’s on the store right now, and if it redeems in HD and it gets upgraded later your version becomes 4K for free automatically

I see them all over where I live (South Jersey). It really surprised me to see how many people own one. In particularly my community college is full of people wearing them and when I go to local tracks I see a lot of people sporting it. I know you can't really speculate since they all look similar to one another, but if I had to fancy a guess I'd say the majority of people are buying the $200-$300 Series 1 watch that goes on sale regularly compared to the more expensive models.
I am from south jersey as well and see them fairly often. More so than fitbits

killroy87

4K content is already there, if you’re on an updated device and browse the movies it’ll say 4K and an HDR format instead of HD if it’s the newer version of the movie. I own John Wick in 4K right now, and on the front page there’s Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, and probably some others.

Redeemed codes get updated as well. So any code that would normally redeem in HD will redeem automatically in 4K if that’s on the store right now, and if it redeems in HD and it gets upgraded later your version becomes 4K for free automatically

Oh shit, I didn't know! I was browsing on my PC, which is probably why nothing showed up.

Great news!

holygeesus

Banned
I'm still happily rocking my Gen2 Apple Watch, but I notice that carriers charge extra a month for people with existing iPhone contracts with the new LTE model? Has that always been the case with iPads etc? Seems a massive swizz as surely you just eat into your allowance when using the watch's LTE capabilities?

Guess Who

Banned
I'm still happily rocking my Gen2 Apple Watch, but I notice that carriers charge extra a month for people with existing iPhone contracts with the new LTE model? Has that always been the case with iPads etc? Seems a massive swizz as surely you just eat into your allowance when using the watch's LTE capabilities?

iPads have always cost extra to have on your plan, but they at least get their own data bucket. $10 a month for an LTE feature I'd only use very occasionally (how often do I go out, or even want to go out, without my phone?) and would use very little data on anyway (not exactly watching Netflix on a Watch) seems a bit much.

-griffy-

Banned

I'm noticing some weird stuff. Like, my Star Trek Beyond shows up as 4K Dolby Vision. My Star Trek '09 shows 4K Dolby Vision for a split second before the page fully loads and recognizes that I own it already, and then the 4K badge goes away.

marrec

Banned
iPads have always cost extra to have on your plan, but they at least get their own data bucket. $10 a month for an LTE feature I'd only use very occasionally (how often do I go out, or even want to go out, without my phone?) and would use very little data on anyway (not exactly watching Netflix on a Watch) seems a bit much.

I agree, I'm willing to pay just to have the convenience while running, but that's something that I do nearly everyday.

If someone isn't going to be away from their phone then........ why?

Top Bottom