• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

I was somehow able to knock the bullshit out of my youtube app problems yesterday in time for the conferences, luckily. Think it just sorted itself after another round of delete, power off, power in, reinstall, activate, then trying to cast a few more times until it worked... arrow navigation hasn't locked up since.

There's always the PS4 youtube app, but I've just got better picture settings for streaming vs game settings, using the TV remote is more convenient than battery draining the DS4 etc so I don't like bothering with it.

EDIT: spoke too soon. After using it all day yesterday with no problems, I've somehow triggered the navigation arrow lockdown again, after going into the app just now. Can't move anywhere. Here we go again.

Heel

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1326721370061177145

Samsung is adding Steam Link functionality directly to their latest line of Smart TVs.

If you are in the United States and have a 2016 or 2017 Samsung UHD TV, we'd like to invite you to help test the Steam Link App, now available as a free beta from the Samsung Smart Hub.

The App uses the same streaming technology as Valve's Steam Link, allowing users to play their favorite games, and even spectate VR games on the HTC Vive, wherever they watch TV.

During the beta, playback of 1080p video at 60 FPS and support for the Steam Controller are included. For worldwide release later this summer, support for streaming 4K resolutions and additional controllers will be added.

Note: Streaming to the TV requires a Steam Controller and a high-quality network, at least 5GHz. A wired network is strongly recommended.

Please let us know how this is working for you and post feedback and questions on the Steam Link discussion forum:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/

jfoul

Been waiting for this feature! I do not have a Steam Controller though. Is it possible to pair something like a dualshock 4 and have it act as a steam controller?

I just tried it.

PS4 controller does work, but I would rather use my XB1 controller with BT. The Steam controller isn't working with the adapter plugged in. I need to fiddle with it.

nguyen704

I just tried it.

PS4 controller does work, but I would rather use my XB1 controller with BT. The Steam controller isn't working with the adapter plugged in. I need to fiddle with it.

Do you have to use the USB adapter or did you sync it via bluetooth?

I just tried it.

Was almost about to buy a Steam Link or Nvidia Shield. Now no need. So can you plug in the DS4 to the one connect box by USB and have it work?

I tried out witcher 3 using my xbox one controller plugged in at the desktop. So far it was great and worked better than my shield tv's app

Mugaaz

Could really use some help. I have a KS8000 with a Yamaha receiver that my PC is connected to. I got this around 6 months ago, I calibrated everything, it has been working perfectly until recently. 2 weeks ago, when I turn on the TV after it has been powered off overnight (only when overnight, not for 1-2 hours), everything is messed up. The colors are all washed out, likesomeone has turned the brightness up to an insane level. Imagine a video game where it asks you to balance the brightness and you maxed it out completely, then kept going. If I power off the PC/Receiver/TV this issue remains. If I unplug the cable between the TV and the receiver, the issue will clear until the next time I turn it off overnight. If I unplug the cable between the PC and the Receiver there is no change. I have swapped the cable between the TV and the Receiver, but the issue persists. What is going on? I can't understand what is wrong. When the issue appears, there is literally nothing you can adjust on the TV to make it look correct, it always looks messed up. To the point you can't make out some objects on screen unless there is high levels of contrast between them.

I use HDMI ARC. Does anyone know if uping the audio delay just delays the video output (adding however many of ms of delay you select). Or does it work through some other method, and not add any input lag.

Im lookin at adding 30ms of audio delay to sync up to game mode.

clintar

I use HDMI ARC. Does anyone know if uping the audio delay just delays the video output (adding however many of ms of delay you select). Or does it work through some other method, and not add any input lag.

I think someone said the arc delay is dependent on the hdmi port you use if that helps anything.

M_A_C

Could really use some help. I have a KS8000 with a Yamaha receiver that my PC is connected to. I got this around 6 months ago, I calibrated everything, it has been working perfectly until recently. 2 weeks ago, when I turn on the TV after it has been powered off overnight (only when overnight, not for 1-2 hours), everything is messed up. The colors are all washed out, likesomeone has turned the brightness up to an insane level. Imagine a video game where it asks you to balance the brightness and you maxed it out completely, then kept going. If I power off the PC/Receiver/TV this issue remains. If I unplug the cable between the TV and the receiver, the issue will clear until the next time I turn it off overnight. If I unplug the cable between the PC and the Receiver there is no change. I have swapped the cable between the TV and the Receiver, but the issue persists. What is going on? I can't understand what is wrong. When the issue appears, there is literally nothing you can adjust on the TV to make it look correct, it always looks messed up. To the point you can't make out some objects on screen unless there is high levels of contrast between them.

I have a similar setup and mine always changes the input name to PC automatically which is really annoying because it changes all the video setting when it does that. Rename it to game console or whatever and see if that fixes it.

So I finally found a Switch and I haven't had the issue with the TV turning on unexpectedly like a lot of people have mentioned here. Did Nintendo and/or Samsung fix that in a recent patch?

Doombear

So I finally found a Switch and I haven't had the issue with the TV turning on unexpectedly like a lot of people have mentioned here. Did Nintendo and/or Samsung fix that in a recent patch?

For me it isn't that the TV powers on. Rather the TV will switch from whatever HDMI input you are currently using to whichever the Switch is connected to. For example, while I was watching cable on HDMI input 2, it would suddenly switch to HDMI 3 where the Switch was connected. Even though the Switch was off.

For me it isn't that the TV powers on. Rather the TV will switch from whatever HDMI input you are currently using to whichever the Switch is connected to. For example, while I was watching cable on HDMI input 2, it would suddenly switch to HDMI 3 where the Switch was connected. Even though the Switch was off.

Ah ok gotcha. TBH since I got the Switch the only other thing I have used the TV for has been the NBA finals, and it never happened then.

I think someone said the arc delay is dependent on the hdmi port you use if that helps anything.

Good to know, i did pick the primary, labelled one (i think its labelled).

I guess its down to how it compensates for lag in the audio. If it delays the video to compensate, that sounds like its just defeating the low latency of this particular set.

Sweet. Time to see if any of my UHD redeem codes have redeemed a UHD copy too. Doubtful, but maybe 1 or 2 did.

EDIT: oh wait, that's only if you go to the site and download the firmware update manually to a flash drive?

At the moment yeah you have to download it into a flash drive.

Yoday

There's nothing you can do to fix the delay in game mode. They didn't compensate for the reduced video lag. The problem is that the video is coming early, not that the audio is coming late. So, even at an audio delay of 0 you still get roughly 100ms of delay. Increasing the delay will only make it worse. As far as anyone is aware the only way to fix this is through firmware on Samsung's end. It's only a problem when using bitstream audio, so if you want to remove the delay in game mode then you need to either use an external device for your audio decoding, or use PCM(limited to 2.1) in the TV's settings if you have to use passthrough.

With news of this new firmware I'll be testing to see if it's fixed as soon as I get home from work. I'm hopeful, but not expecting anything to have changed.

I've been having an issue with my KS7000/8000, at random moments for a second or two, the red, green and blue output layers are not aligned anymore, until it corrects itself few seconds afterwards. While not terribly distracting and a rare occurrence, it happened enough times for me to be slightly concerned.

at random moments for a second or two, the red, green and blue output layers are not aligned anymore, until it corrects itself few seconds afterwards. While not terribly distracting and a rare occurrence, it happened enough times for me to be slightly concerned.

Almost everyone sees that from time to time in game mode. It's a glitch in the TV's processing and not a defect specific to your set so there is no reason to worry. It happens so infrequently that it doesn't really bother me, personally.

A word of advice to anyone reading: Please don't follow this link if you are currently happy with your set. AVSForum is a great resource but you will be made aware of every flaw and shortcoming in your set. If you are the kind of person who cannot "un-see" issues once you become aware of them, then this link only leads to unhappiness and frequent TV purchases and returns.

rekameohs

Banned
Just picked up a KS800D (same thing as a KS8000 but different bezel color) for $750 on Groupon and I am amazed so far! I'll get all the settings all perfect thanks to this thread, too...

Chumpion

I have a similar setup and mine always changes the input name to PC automatically which is really annoying because it changes all the video setting when it does that. Rename it to game console or whatever and see if that fixes it.

Mine did that, too. When I tried to rename the input, it would immediately change back.

I discovered it happened because my PC was plugged in a HDMI input labeled 'PC' in the receiver. When I tried a different port, it showed a different name. (My receiver is Onkyo TX-NR818).

ElfArmy177

Odd question. Is it normal for playing a game with hdr turned off to look brighter than with hdr turned on? When I enable hdr.. everything looks so dim and dark

Odd question. Is it normal for playing a game with hdr turned off to look brighter than with hdr turned on? When I enable hdr.. everything looks so dim and dark

In game mode, you have to turn the backlight up to 20 manually for HDR. Furthermore, many of us turn on dynamic contrast to low or med to combat this. Finally, some games (like ESO for example) are just too dark by default in HDR and offer in-game brightness adjustments that you can use to fix it.

ElfArmy177

PS4s RGB auto is and will always be broken. Set to FULL on PS4 and Normal on the Samsung TV. Or limited on PS4 and low on Samsung TVs.

Okay:

PS4: RGB FULL, KS8000: Black Level: Normal
PS4: RGB Limited, KS8000: Black Level: Low

Not okay:
PS4: FULL, KS8000: Black Level: Low
PS4: Limited, KS8000: Normal

That being said, fuck Samsung's black level terminology

What if black level is always greyed out on this tv for me...?

ss_lemonade

What if black level is always greyed out on this tv for me...?
It shouldn't, though if you have a ps4 pro and are playing an HDR compatible game, I believe you will lose the black level option since there shouldn't be any need to touch it in such a scenario. On the other hand, regular PS4 will still give you the black level option with HDR so make sure it's set properly

Did you check the website? The new firmwares usually appear there long before they are pushed out via the TVs built-in firmware check feature. I don't know which site you need to go to but for example here is the UK site for the KS7000 and the new firmware is there for download.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE55KS7000UXXU#downloads
Dr. zoidberg, I'm getting crushed blacks when selecting 10 bit on my Xbox but don't I need that for hdr to work? I've used the squares from the LCD test and with 8 bit I can see every square. With 10 bit I can't see like the first 20. What am I doing wrong here?

And is there something I can hit on the remote to see if HDR is on and what resolution the tv is running at?

WolfRathmA

Purexed

Banned
One annoying thing on the new firmware was the removal of the HDR notification on a HDR source, the banner doesn't show anymore.

Top Bottom