• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Yoday

Yes, for the 60 and 65 inch versions there is an inner and outer position. That picture shows the outer position. Since I'm beaten badly:
Here's the link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4Pro/comments/5megfm/anyone_know_the_width_of_the_stand_of_the_samsung/

It sounds like the inner position has the legs about 39 inches apart.
I use the inner position, and I can confirm it has a 39" footprint from tip to tip. This is something that I had to investigate quite a bit before getting the TV, as the outer position is way to wide for my stand. It was actually quite difficult finding anything on the width of the stand in the more narrow position.

Prestokidd

Neo Member
Do anyone know how to fix the WiFi connection issues with this TV? When it loses the WiFi signal, the only way I can get it to reconnect is by factory resetting the TV which is a real pain.

Also the Youtube app on this TV is really bad. I only got it to work a few time. When it crashes and I reopen it, it only displays a gray screen. Even holding down the back button on the remote to fully close the app does not fix it. Any tip will be appreciated.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do anyone know how to fix the WiFi connection issues with this TV? When it loses the WiFi signal, the only way I can get it to reconnect is by factory resetting the TV which is a real pain.

Please tell me this isn't true. :(

Also the Youtube app on this TV is really bad. I only got it to work a few time. When it crashes and I reopen it, it only displays a gray screen. Even holding down the back button on the remote to fully close the app does not fix it. Any tip will be appreciated.

Any issue I have that wasn't resolved via force close, was resolved by leaving the TV unplugged from socket/surge for about 30-60 seconds and reconnecting. Try that prior to factory reset

Please tell me this isn't true. :(

I've had the TV since November, no issues with WiFi that wasn't related to my actual router causing it.

Maybe just go to your network settings (couple spots down from picture/sound settings) and try switching to LAN then back to wifi so you can clear that wifi link off, then re-discover it?

Never had that problem the few times I've used wifi, but my modem is right next to the TV and I just use ethernet to everything 99.9% of the time.

For app hanging, try going into another app or two to clear it out, turn the TV off then back on. Hulu does that to me sometimes, and youtube's been acting a little goofy with letting me use the arrows to select videos until I refresh the app.

Fully exiting an app before switching over to something else usually avoids any app hang for me, so that it's not doing that when I go back into it next time. Sometimes it just sorts itself after a couple seconds anyway though.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
Is there any reason why my set has suddenly started 'detecting new devices' almost every time I turn it on?

I haven't changed anything that's connected but it keeps resetting my HDMI labels and nagging me to go through setup again. It's done it on all 4 HDMI ports separately over the last day or two. Whether I let it go through setup, or cancel it, it doesn't seem to prevent it happening again.

Is there any reason why my set has suddenly started 'detecting new devices' almost every time I turn it on?

I haven't changed anything that's connected but it keeps resetting my HDMI labels and nagging me to go through setup again. It's done it on all 4 HDMI ports separately over the last day or two. Whether I let it go through setup, or cancel it, it doesn't seem to prevent it happening again.

This used to happen to me a lot when I'd be trying to switch sources to another device, while another device was coming on, and about to auto-switch back to that device quickly... it would always cause one of them to disassociate it's label (usually the one I'd be trying to switch to), but it hardly ever happens now and I try to avoid exiting out of streaming media, to my bluray player's input which auto-turns on the bluray player, then switching to my PS4's input before the bluray player auto-switches the input back to itself.

From the sounds of it, yours has nothing to do with this as you say it's happening with all 4 inputs repeatedly, when you turn it on.

Maybe try manually entering in the device type and names, rather than letting it to do the setup style auto detection (which never really seems like it wants to work for forgotten devices anyway).

If that doesn't help, I'd transcribe your TV settings to a wordpad doc (if you're particular about them) and then go through the initial set up and reset, for it to properly rediscover and identify all your devices again.

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
This used to happen to me a lot when I'd be trying to switch sources to another device, while another device was coming on, and about to auto-switch back to that device quickly... it would always cause one of them to disassociate it's label (usually the one I'd be trying to switch to), but it hardly ever happens now and I try to avoid exiting out of streaming media, to my bluray player's input which auto-turns on the bluray player, then switching to my PS4's input before the bluray player auto-switches the input back to itself.

Actually that could be exactly what's happening. My son's been watching Blu-rays a lot lately and I've got in the habit of quickly changing inputs when the TV comes on in order to prevent the Blu-ray player turning itself on automatically. Sometimes I don't do it in time and end up in a tussle with the TV as it keeps trying to switch back to the Blu-ray player. This could well be causing the problem with the inputs (it shouldn't, of course).

I think I might just disable Anynet and stop the Blu-ray player turning itself on - see if it fixes the issue. Thanks!

Actually that could be exactly what's happening. My son's been watching Blu-rays a lot lately and I've got in the habit of quickly changing inputs when the TV comes on in order to prevent the Blu-ray player turning itself on automatically. Sometimes I don't do it in time and end up in a tussle with the TV as it keeps trying to switch back to the Blu-ray player. This could well be causing the problem with the inputs (it shouldn't, of course).

I think I might just disable Anynet and stop the Blu-ray player turning itself on - see if it fixes the issue. Thanks!

Oh yeah, that's probably definitely it then. Mine turns on the bluray player if I left it on that port too.

MADGAME

Anyone know how to get rid of the "Back to top" icon/graphic in the lower right corner when watching youtube on KS8000?

k1t4j

does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware on the ks9000 series?

Lately I noticed while playing some games that I get the double image effect and this shit is bothering me to no end, I have this TV for 2 months now and I could swear for the first 1,5 month it was all fine but now I have this crap popping up every now and then.

So you have an idea, apologies if I can't link to this website, this guy has a picture of the issue:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/picture-issues-with-the-samsung-ks9000.2028627/

I'm thinking it's firmware related and wanted to try to downgrade it to a previous version.

If you guys have any better insight, please let me know...

cyen

does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware on the ks9000 series?

Lately I noticed while playing some games that I get the double image effect and this shit is bothering me to no end, I have this TV for 2 months now and I could swear for the first 1,5 month it was all fine but now I have this crap popping up every now and then.

So you have an idea, apologies if I can't link to this website, this guy has a picture of the issue:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/picture-issues-with-the-samsung-ks9000.2028627/

I'm thinking it's firmware related and wanted to try to downgrade it to a previous version.

Same here with my KS7000, older fw until 1150 (i think) didnt had this problem.

k1t4j

Same here with my KS7000, older fw until 1150 (i think) didnt had this problem.

I'm going to install the new firmware they have on their website I'm not sure if it's any different than the one I have. My TV says there's no new firmware updates and it's sitting at 1169, but on the website I can download a 1169.2...

I'm going to try it, but at least I'm glad it's not my PS4 or the HDMI cable, if they fucked it up with a firmware upgrade I have hopes that they can undo this shit...

The youtube app has been completely broken for me the last few days.

It hasn't done the jumbled text thing for a long time, but the remote navigation arrows won't do anything, and I can only getting it working for long enough to find a video in my subs and watch one, if I sign out, delete the app, turn off the tv, power back on, reinstall the app, reactivate, sign in again... sometimes. Once I get it working, the next time I go to the app, it's doing it again. Now I can't even get to my subs, to see that I can't use the arrows to navigate.

I've got all my settings on a doc, but I can't be resetting the TV to re-enter them in on every HDMI port, for every device + streaming, for HDR SDR and special viewing modes etc. I'm sure I've got a value changed here and there from what I've got written down, and I doubt it will fix it anyway, or fix it permanently. It never worked on the jumbled text.

I can't cast to the app anymore either. TV detects, video queues up, nothing happens. Just makes the click sound, and doesn't budge from it's immobile state.

cyen

I'm going to install the new firmware they have on their website I'm not sure if it's any different than the one I have. My TV says there's no new firmware updates and it's sitting at 1169, but on the website I can download a 1169.2...

I'm going to try it, but at least I'm glad it's not my PS4 or the HDMI cable, if they fucked it up with a firmware upgrade I have hopes that they can undo this shit...

I hope so, i tried to reach their customer support some time ago, but they answered with crap and i gave up trying to explain it.

The problem exists for a few months now and every fw released after some point have this issue.

This only happens in game mode.

I also have the KS9000 and haven't experienced anything of the sort. I read shit like this and it worries me.

So can anyone explain the color banding issue with this TV? I started looking into it more, and it seems to be a common issue. Is it like this on all their TVs? Or should I get it replaced? It doesn't seem like there is an easy fix for it in the settings.

It's quite distracting, and is ruining games for me.

k1t4j

I hope so, i tried to reach their customer support some time ago, but they answered with crap and i gave up trying to explain it.

The problem exists for a few months now and every fw released after some point have this issue.

This only happens in game mode.

The new 1169.2 is the same as the 1169... the tv didn't update, after searching their forums I can see more people complaining about this and samsung representatives mentioned they are aware of this issue and a new firmware update has been release in Korea only 1170...

That teaches me to have automatic firmware updates on.... wtf man. I hope they fix this shit fast.

ss_lemonade

I also have the KS9000 and haven't experienced anything of the sort. I read shit like this and it worries me.
During regular gameplay, it's only really happened on my ks9000 with Final Fantasy 15, and it happens very rarely. Outside that, I could only get it to consistently trigger by toggling HDR on and off only with certain games (FF 15 being one, Uncharted 4 being another). I haven't noticed it with all my other games, even those with HDR. My switch, ps3 and xbox one also do not show this problem.

So can anyone explain the color banding issue with this TV? I started looking into it more, and it seems to be a common issue. Is it like this on all their TVs? Or should I get it replaced? It doesn't seem like there is an easy fix for it in the settings.

Did you use another TV before that didn't have it? I still have my bravia as a second TV and it has an option to smooth out banding and gradients. When I have it disabled, it seems to show colors the same way my ks9000 does so I guess it's just source dependent and the Samsung TVs just do not have a way to clean it up.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

Any examples? Any particular games or movies? I havent noticed this myself, not to say its not present mind.

Any examples? Any particular games or movies? I havent noticed this myself, not to say its not present mind.

Scroll up about 15 posts, I posted an image from call of duty on PS4 Pro.

It happens on most games, most notably CoD, RE7, Mass Effect (Absolutely horrible), and Halo 5, Gears of War 4.

Also happens on youtube, amazon, etc. Basically everything.

Did you use another TV before that didn't have it? I still have my bravia as a second TV and it has an option to smooth out banding and gradients. When I have it disabled, it seems to show colors the same way my ks9000 does so I guess it's just source dependent and the Samsung TVs just do not have a way to clean it up.

I had a 1080p sharp from about 10 years ago. I never noticed banding.

ss_lemonade

If you have FF15 and beaten it, one of the ending scenes is a night scene with a ridiculous amount of banding in the sky (to the point of being very distracting). I believe I was playing with HDR enabled that time.

If you have FF15 and beaten it, one of the ending scenes is a night scene with a ridiculous amount of banding in the sky (to the point of being very distracting). I believe I was playing with HDR enabled that time.

It's insanly distracting, and is making me regret upgrading.

It's ruining games for me.

Heel

Search "gameslice" in the YouTube app and you can watch today's E3 pressers live in 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HaM-mh7LM

Just check "stats for nerds" to make sure it's buffering to 4K. Took me a try or two to get it above 1440p.

DCEIFUMUQAAv7ym.jpg:large

ss_lemonade

Yeah, I wish there was a way to clean it up. It seems like a lot of people aren't bothered by it or say that it's the source's fault but it just doesn't look good when the problem is staring right at your face (and when other TVs can somehow give you options to get around it)

Zakkath

So, I just noticed today that I don't see the Movie picture mode anymore. I also cannot activate Game mode for some reason. What the hell happenned with this last update (1169) ?

Edit : There might just be another reason. I plugged my receiver in the hdmi 4 port so that I could watch 4k youtube videos and have the sound come out on my receiver (using ARC). Is that what's causing the issue with my video settings ?

philm87

Is that on the Pro or the original PS4?

jfoul

I posted this before, but never got a solid solution. Does anyone know what causes this? Most people said to lower my brightness, but that doesn't fix it, and my brightness is already at the recommended level.

http://imgur.com/5fXR8DQ

Is that through the PS4? reminds me of when I didnt have the right deep color setting on my PS3.

Scroll up about 15 posts, I posted an image from call of duty on PS4 Pro.

It happens on most games, most notably CoD, RE7, Mass Effect (Absolutely horrible), and Halo 5, Gears of War 4.

Also happens on youtube, amazon, etc. Basically everything.

I have the same issue on my 65 inch KS8500. I've noticed it with my Xbox One, PS4 pro, PC, receiver, Wii u, and even the TV apps. It's really distracting, and didn't have to deal with this on my Panasonic plasma. Is this just a drawback of LCD panels?

Edit - I searched the Samsung forums, and it seems to be a problem with 8bit content. Supposedly the below quote is a response from a professional tv reviewer.

"Unlike Sony TVs, Samsung TVs don’t have an option to smooth 8 bit gradients. As a result, it is normal to see banding in 8 bit content. Only HDR content is 10 bit, so for other content banding can be visible."

I don't know what's going on because I can see bad banding in FF15 with my pro, with hdr enabled like mentioned above. 4K HDR content like Goliath, and Daredevil seem fine with the TV apps.

Gowans

Is there a way to force the YouTube app to 4K for the e3 conferences?

If not I'll plug my Macbook Pro into the tv via HDMI

TV'd be the fucking truth if it saved HDR settings in game mode. Having to crank brightness up and activate Smart LED is an effort that actually kept me from launching some HDR games lately. Next level laziness, I know, but it is what it is.

yeah, the camp scene. I couldn't believe my eyes. it looked awful.

Actually, its my only gripe with the TV.

It annoys me everytime i boot overwatch and the blizzard logo's white glow has color banding.

Is there some setting to fix this??

It hates gradients.

laxu

So, I just noticed today that I don't see the Movie picture mode anymore. I also cannot activate Game mode for some reason. What the hell happenned with this last update (1169) ?

Edit : There might just be another reason. I plugged my receiver in the hdmi 4 port so that I could watch 4k youtube videos and have the sound come out on my receiver (using ARC). Is that what's causing the issue with my video settings ?

Check that it hasn't gone to PC mode.

yeah, the camp scene. I couldn't believe my eyes. it looked awful.

Actually, its my only gripe with the TV.

It annoys me everytime i boot overwatch and the blizzard logo's white glow has color banding.

Is there some setting to fix this??

It hates gradients.

I put in a service ticket to have it looked at, since it's still under warranty, but I don't think this is a fixable issue.

Does every KS8000 have this issue, and some people just don't care? If that's the case, I don't get how this TV is so highly recommended. The color banding kills everything good about this TV.

Hopefully not every TV is like this though, and can either be fixed, or replaced.

ss_lemonade

Is that on the Pro or the original PS4?
Original, but I guess it doesn't even matter

That means youre in PC mode. Change the source name to game console.
I still wish there was a way to permanently set a specific input to a specific mode. I would use PC mode all the time then for my receiver, where all my consoles are connected to. Not too bothered by the extra vivid colors but having custom hdr and non hdr settings and near game mode input lag is great (plus added 4:4:4 if that even makes a difference)

philm87

Original, but I guess it doesn't even matter

Well the original plays HDR in RGB, which leads me to think it's only 8-bit on the original, and could explain the banding. Haven't been able to find anything concrete either way on that though.

The PRO uses YUV instead of RGB in HDR because RGB its much larger to send as it's uncompressed, but I don't know if that's just because it's sending a 4k signal. I meant to experiment with that to see if my Pro sends hdr in RGB if I lower the resolution to 1080p.

Top Bottom