• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

M_A_C

Pretty sure the entire game is HDR.

The intro is likely an HDR video file, which the TV will automatically set to 20 backlight, apparently even while in Game Mode. Once the video intro is over, the TV goes back to your default Game Mode backlight setting.

So yes, it's the same problem highlighted in a unique way.

So you just have to go manually put it up to 20 brightness to fix it right?

Heel

So you just have to go manually put it up to 20 brightness to fix it right?

For me, I just move the backlight to 20, but I'm sure other people like to do more to their video settings when switching between SDR and HDR games. Every video setting is shared between the two using Game Mode.

ss_lemonade

Pretty sure the entire game is HDR.

The intro is likely an HDR video file, which the TV will automatically set to 20 backlight, apparently even while in Game Mode. Once the video intro is over, the TV goes back to your default Game Mode backlight setting.

So yes, it's the same problem highlighted in a unique way.
I see, that is pretty interesting lol. Are you sure it isn't kicking you out of game mode temporarily or something?

Heel

I see, that is pretty interesting lol. Are you sure it isn't kicking you out of game mode temporarily or something?

Yeah, it probably switches to one of the other modes to play video files. Strange wrinkle...had my hopes up for a second, haha.

ss_lemonade

Yeah, it probably switches to one of the other modes to play video files. Strange wrinkle...had my hopes up for a second, haha.
Have you tried PC mode? That might work for you for now, if losing DC and having saturated colors aren't an issue.

Do the new qleds even have the same game mode hdr issue?

philm87

So I just realized that I have been playing HDR games with the wrong black level setting for a week now lol. Did a bit of experimenting and it looks like the best setting that works is to just keep the TV's black level to auto and set the PS4 to full. It doesn't look like limited (PS4) and low (TV) works for HDR, eventhough that works fine with non-HDR content. Also make sure you don't touch the TV's black level again because that seems to break auto detection and turns auto into low giving you crushed blacks (you either need to turn the TV off and on or toggle your PS4's RGB range to limited, then to full again).

I guess HDR content requires full RGB and normal black level else you end up with an extremely dark image. This might be common knowledge but I always used limited on both display and console before. This is also on a ks9000 but I imagine it would apply to the ks8000 as well.

One thing I don't get is this only works for my PS4. If I set my xbox one to pc rgb (which I believe is it's Full RGB setting) or my ps3 to Full, my TV's auto setting treats them as limited and gives me crushed blacks. So for those 2 I have to set them to limited. Things work but that makes 0 sense to me lol

I'd recommend just not using the auto setting, I had too many issues with it. Just set PS4 to RGB full and TV to HDMI black level normal OR PS4 to limited with HDMI black level low.

tommyguns

Haven't posted in here in a bit...

Can anyone PLEASE confirm that when using a PS4 Pro, and booting up an HDR game (Horizon, etc) that the TV screen goes black for one or two seconds when going into HDR mode? Game boots up, black screen for a second, then when picture returns it's in HDR and I get the banner in the corner.

Only reason I ask is because when I play an HDR video on youtube in the built in app for the TV I get no such black screen for a second.

Can anyone PLEASE confirm that when using a PS4 Pro, and booting up an HDR game (Horizon, etc) that the TV screen goes black for one or two seconds when going into HDR mode? Game boots up, black screen for a second, then when picture returns it's in HDR and I get the banner in the corner.

Only reason I ask is because when I play an HDR video on youtube in the built in app for the TV I get no such black screen for a second.

Yes, that's how it is for me as well.

My JS9000 does the same thing. That is the HDMI performing it's handshake I believe.

Robiin

I am blown away. I just watched Chef's Table s3e1. It might be the most beautiful thing I've seen on this TV so far, probably the best showcase of 4K HDR imo.

The visuals are fucking amazing. I was in trance the whole time basically. I urge everyone to watch this particular episode. It's about a temple monk cook in Korea. It is probably the most stunning thing I have seen on a screen. No special effects, no fast moving bright particles, just incredible nature and food shots with amazing natural colors.

CrayToes

I am blown away. I just watched Chef's Table s3e1. It might be the most beautiful thing I've seen on this TV so far, probably the best showcase of 4K HDR imo.

The visuals are fucking amazing. I was in trance the whole time basically. I urge everyone to watch this particular episode. It's about a temple monk cook in Korea. It is probably the most stunning thing I have seen on a screen. No special effects, no fast moving bright particles, just incredible nature and food shots with amazing natural colors.

Gonna second this. What a beautiful spectacle and a great episode to boot.

ss_lemonade

I'd recommend just not using the auto setting, I had too many issues with it. Just set PS4 to RGB full and TV to HDMI black level normal OR PS4 to limited with HDMI black level low.
Limited - low doesn't give me the correct image when playing games in HDR. I just get crushed blacks. The only reason I thought of using auto on the TV is if I have a device where I cannot change RGB setting (older consoles maybe?) but since I do not have such a device currently, yeah I might just settle with normal black level and set everything I have to RGB full.

PS4 controller syncs through BT.
Steam Controller needs the adapter.
Xbox One controller with BT doesn't show up as discoverable.
Haven't tried a PS3 controller yet.

So I have my PS4 controller hardwired to my desktop. Do I need to get a dongle to have the PS4 sync to the desktop to use the PS4 controller on the tv, or are you saying the PS4 controller syncs to the TV through BT?

Just wondering if I need to get anything additional here to get the steam link app working with the tv and the desktop

ss_lemonade

So I have my PS4 controller hardwired to my desktop. Do I need to get a dongle to have the PS4 sync to the desktop to use the PS4 controller on the tv, or are you saying the PS4 controller syncs to the TV through BT?

Just wondering if I need to get anything additional here to get the steam link app working with the tv and the desktop

Just pair it directly to the TV. No dongle or cable needed

Zarth

Anyone else have random black screens when using a KS7000/8000 and the auto/rgb setting with the PS4 PRO? Please post in this thread https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...een-randomly-flickering-on-and-off/td-p/54744 to get the ball moving faster as we are still waiting for a firmware update that fixes this issue.

I used to but eliminated this problem after swapping HDMI cables

They were both high bandwidth HDMI cables too but for whatever reason one worked, one did not.

ss_lemonade

Anyone else have random black screens when using a KS7000/8000 and the auto/rgb setting with the PS4 PRO? Please post in this thread https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...een-randomly-flickering-on-and-off/td-p/54744 to get the ball moving faster as we are still waiting for a firmware update that fixes this issue.

Random black screens and artifacts such as white snow with 4k hdr content seems to be very hit or miss. I have 2 hdmi cables that are identical ( I believe I bought a set of them from somewhere before), have the same length and have the same "high speed" markings. One of them gives me issues with my ps3 + deep color (flickering) and blueray player + 4k hdr (flickering, white dots, artifacting) while the other cable works perfect for everything.

Blizzje

I used to but eliminated this problem after swapping HDMI cables

They were both high bandwidth HDMI cables too but for whatever reason one worked, one did not.

I have tried four different cables, all different brands and high speed. Which one are you using right now that doesn't give you issues? And you are running in auto/rgb mode?

Zarth

I have tried four different cables, all different brands and high speed. Which one are you using right now that doesn't give you issues? And you are running in auto/rgb mode?

Its fine in both Auto or RGB. I swap my plugs for my PSVR all the time too and it switches back and reenables HDR ok.

Cable is nothing special w/e 6' cable I grabbed off Monoprice when I needed more cables.

The part that confuses me is I can switch to the bad HDMI cable somewhere in the setup and it 100% starts flickering without fail. Clearly for whatever reason that cable cannot handle the 18gbps even though it claims it can. If I switch to YUV its fine so the cable has no defects it just can't handle the bandwidth it is supposed to.

Good god some of these youtube HDR videos are blowing my mind right now.

Why have I not bought into this up until this point?

Non-HDR content looks so flat now.

Was playing PS4 and turned my PC on and it automatically switched over, even on the latest update.

Good god some of these youtube HDR videos are blowing my mind right now.

Why have I not bought into this up until this point?

Non-HDR content looks so flat now.

Yes, it's some of the best material available honestly. Absolutely incredible.

Also, some guy on avs forums claims, the latest update improves the picture and makes it pop more and so forth. I certainly see none of that. It's as good as before but no better.

hesido

HDR is available but you gotta increase brightness to 20 every time you switch from non-gaming mode as well as setting Smart LED to high which you probably don't have active in SDR. The TV has a terrific picture quality and supports all the latest stuff, don't worry about that too much. The software is a bit of a pain in the ass though.

Which is sad because it's all fixable through firmware.

Also LED dimming should have been possible in gaming mode to reduce ghosting (possibly outside of hdr content of course); it probably requires 0 processing power so it should not add any latency. But they semantically grouped that under auto motion plus settings which is made unavailable. But they could still have left that option available.

Was playing PS4 and turned my PC on and it automatically switched over, even on the latest update.

Isn't this a feature of Anynet+ ? I like this feature as it works well in my particular setup, but I understand the frustration. Doesn't disabling HDMI-CEC disable this functionality?

Also, some guy on avs forums claims, the latest update improves the picture and makes it pop more and so forth. I certainly see none of that. It's as good as before but no better.

Yeah, there's nothing happening on that end. HDR is still a tiny bit dim for my liking at least as far as UHD goes. Still looks great, but if they could update it so you didn't need to use either Dynamic Contrast (I have it set on "low" for HDR only) or Gamma (which I know some people use), then you wouldn't need to tinker with those things at all. At least, in standard 1080p viewing, I don't need to adjust either of those.

Can you use an HDMI splitter with the smart hub? I don't have enough ports to hook all my shit up.

If so, anyone got any recommendations as to which one to buy?

I have a ps4 pro btw

ss_lemonade

Also LED dimming should have been possible in gaming mode to reduce ghosting (possibly outside of hdr content of course); it probably requires 0 processing power so it should not add any latency. But they semantically grouped that under auto motion plus settings which is made unavailable. But they could still have left that option available.

Are you talking about Clear LED Motion? I'm sad that this option doesn't work as expected on my ks9000 and is pretty much useless here. That's one advantage that the ks8000 has over it. I believe strobing does add a tiny bit of input lag though, but if other TVs can have it with game mode, Samsung should have as well.

Can you use an HDMI splitter with the smart hub? I don't have enough ports to hook all my shit up.

If so, anyone got any recommendations as to which one to buy?

I have a ps4 pro btw

Yeah it works ok, I have my pc, 360 and wiiu hooked up into one hdmi port. It's just a generic cheap one and it's perfect, no artifacting etc.. so I think you should be saf, you just won't get 3D or 4K through a cheap one, but use the other ports on the box for those connections.

Haines

Banned
Did the new update via usb. I'm not sure of the her etc looking better but there is no complaints on image quality from me anyways.

thenameDS

HDMI Black Level is greyed out on my Xbox input whilst in game mode but fine on my PS4 input. Any way to fix this? I would like to set it to normal like my PS4, don't trust auto.

dcx4610

Can anyone with a Bluetooth Xbox One controller try to sync it with the TV? I can't get the TV to detect the controller and just want to make sure I'm not going crazy.

JMY86

Can anyone with a Bluetooth Xbox One controller try to sync it with the TV? I can't get the TV to detect the controller and just want to make sure I'm not going crazy.

No luck here. DS4 works fine but kinda strange Xbox One controller does not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hey guys I have a KS8500 and realized that I'm going to need to buy a 30 foot high speed HDMI cable.

Is any HDMI cable good enough to be 30 feet and display 4K and HDR fine?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Trouble getting real 4k out of YouTube. The YouTube stat indicator says I'm running at 1440p.

I was running the connection wirelessly at first, so I switched to wired figuring I'd get better results -- indeed it does increase my connection speed dramatically but I'm still not seeing full 4k -- in fact, a much faster connection has made zero difference in my picture quality. Don't know if it matters but here's the YouTube connection stats -- Connection Speed 24KBPS, buffer health 18.0 seconds (sometimes this goes up to above 20).

So what gives?

Heel

Trouble getting real 4k out of YouTube. The YouTube stat indicator says I'm running at 1440p.

I was running the connection wirelessly at first, so I switched to wired figuring I'd get better results -- indeed it does increase my connection speed dramatically but I'm still not seeing full 4k -- in fact, a much faster connection has made zero difference in my picture quality. Don't know if it matters but here's the YouTube connection stats -- Connection Speed 24KBPS, buffer health 18.0 seconds (sometimes this goes up to above 20).

So what gives?

Yeah, getting videos to buffer to full 4k with the app can be hit or miss, and you can't choose a preference. Pretty annoying.

If you're wired, best advice I can give is to restart the video and cross your fingers. It doesn't seem to change resolution dynamically, just picks a resolution during the initial buffer and sticks with it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How does a Wii U work with this tv?
No issues?
I can confirm no issues with any of my games, even Wii games work fine.

Yeah, getting videos to buffer to full 4k with the app can be hit or miss, and you can't choose a preference. Pretty annoying.

If you're wired, best advice I can give is to restart the video and cross your fingers. It doesn't seem to change resolution dynamically, just picks a resolution during the initial buffer and sticks with it.
This helped, thank you. I just kept restarting the same video until it clicked onto 4k. I suppose if I had a 50kbps connection it would be a bit more consistent but damn.

Top Bottom