• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

My TV is on 1169 firmware and says it's the newest. Yet there seems to be this newer 1180.5 available on the Samsung site. What does it do different?!

Sanador

After being a happy 55" KS8000 owner since March, my TV suddenly developed black lines running horizontal on the left side of the screen. I haven't had a chance to get a hold of Samsung yet, but boy was I disappointed when they just showed up Sunday. :(

After being a happy 55" KS8000 owner since March, my TV suddenly developed black lines running horizontal on the left side of the screen. I haven't had a chance to get a hold of Samsung yet, but boy was I disappointed when they just showed up Sunday. :(
Tried gently tapping the place where these lines appeared? I had a friend had this and all he had to do was tap his tv at the spot and it fixed it. Turns out it's just a flat cable from the display not properly fixed into its position.

Sanador

Tried gently tapping the place where these lines appeared? I had a friend had this and all he had to do was tap his tv at the spot and it fixed it. Turns out it's just a flat cable from the display not properly fixed into its position.

Well, I will try this. Thanks much for your feedback. If that fixes it, I will be much obliged!

Ryu Silveira

Neo Member
Thanks for the help guys last page, I decided to go with Dynamic Contrast set to low and keeping gamma at 0 with both HDR content and non-HDR content. I've been watching How I Met Your Mother lately and I'm not sure if it's the internet or what but...

When each episode starts, it slowly buffers a bit; adjusting the quality of the content then it looks to settle in after about 2-4 minutes into the show or so it seems to add like a filter over the show actually improving the quality even more...lol. I'm not complaining because it looks great, just wondering if it does this to anyone else? I just started noticing this too. Like it's upscaling it to 4K? Maybe?

Like Season 3 episode 11 or 12 I believe, it's the St. Patty's Day episode, and I can see them sitting in the couch and Barney leaves the apartment right into passing the 2:00 minute mark, it'll add like this filter and it improves the quality and I thought it was the internet but I'm hardwired, been just unplugging the cable back and forth from TV to the Xbox when I use them and vice/versa. So I rewind it by 10 seconds and I can notice it without the filter and then it adds the filter again at the exact same time...lol. It did this with every episode after that last night...

I'm trying to notice it today, but it's not doing it anymore, not sure if it's because my roommate was watching Netflix in his room as well through wifi? I might try different content later on, could be just that show...

What is the correct setting for HDR games after this latest update?

Color Space Auto or Native??

I know the recommended setting keeps changing since the TV launched after all these updates....

Heel

r3eOrL6.png

P6L9BaC.png

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
So I upgraded from my JU7500 to a KS8500 yesterday. Tried out a bunch of stuff including Horizon. And my question is:
Aren't lights during the night or the sun supposed to be really bright compared to SDR? When I look to the Sun or at light sources during the night in Horizon it is as bright as it is in SDR maybe even a little darker. You can see more detail in the sky though.

I thought SDR only supports 500 nits or something and HDR as much as your TV can handle so in this case about 1500 nits. I excpected to be almost blinded by the sun when watching Planet Earth 2 in HDR or the Sun in Horizon.

Edit: Yea Backlight is at 20 of course and UHD color is enabled. Setting should all be correct.

Belker

So I upgraded from my JU7500 to a KS8500 yesterday. Tried out a bunch of stuff including Horizon. And my question is:
Aren't lights during the night or the sun supposed to be really bright compared to SDR? When I look to the Sun or at light sources during the night in Horizon it is as bright as it is in SDR maybe even a little darker. You can see more detail in the sky though.

I thought SDR only supports 500 nits or something and HDR as much as your TV can handle so in this case about 1500 nits. I excpected to be almost blinded by the sun when watching Planet Earth 2 in HDR or the Sun in Horizon.

Did you turn on UHD for the HDMI inputs? I don't think you can get HDR to work without it, but it's it's not enabled by default. Odd decision.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Are you using appropriate settings?

And HDR is not just about being brighter, but about showing you a greater spectrum of colors. That's where it shines, not in top brightness.

Haines

Banned

Edit: Yea Backlight is at 20 of course and UHD color is enabled. Setting should all be correct.

Did you try my settings in op. My written ones should work. Also make sure ps4 settings are right.

Did you make sure eco mode is off.

Hdr you will know it.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Are you using appropriate settings?

And HDR is not just about being brighter, but about showing you a greater spectrum of colors. That's where it shines, not in top brightness.

Yea I know but shouldn't the sparks when shooting a machine at night or just their head lights be much more pronounced in HDR? When I pause the game and switch between HDR and SDR the lights and sparks pop as much as before. That really is the only dissapointment I currently have. Otherwise the game looks a little more natural in HDR.

Did you turn on UHD for the HDMI inputs? I don't think you can get HDR to work without it, but it's it's not enabled by default. Odd decision.

HDR is running 100%. UHD Color is on and whenI select my HDMI Input in the menu and click ok it shows that HDR is running.

Haines

Banned
You don't need to switch between hdr and sdr and conpare. Don't do that.

I was playing a scene at a pond with a sunset in horizon last night.

The colors. The sun. Everything was absolutely jaw dropping.

But than you can be in a dessert and it might look like sdr for a bit.

I would suggest following my written setting in OP and just sinking some time in.

Do you have Dynamic contrast on low

Yea I know but shouldn't the sparks when shooting a machine at night or just their head lights be much more pronounced in HDR? When I pause the game and switch between HDR and SDR the lights and sparks pop as much as before. That really is the only dissapointment I currently have. Otherwise the game looks a little more natural in HDR.

HDR is running 100%. UHD Color is on and whenI select my HDMI Input in the menu and click ok it shows that HDR is running.

When you pause and switch hdr on/off, are you also going in and turning the brightness back down to SDR settings?

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Did you try my settings in op. My written ones should work. Also make sure ps4 settings are right.

Did you make sure eco mode is off.

Hdr you will know it.

Yea thats what I checked a couple hours ago but Eco is definitely off. Also my setting are pretty much the same as yours. I also used the white balance settings from rtings.

So far HDR looks "only" like a subtle improvement to me.

You don't need to switch between hdr and sdr and conpare. Don't do that.

I was playing a scene at a pond with a sunset in horizon last night.

The colors. The sun. Everything was absolutely jaw dropping.

But than you can be in a dessert and it might look like sdr for a bit.

I would suggest following my written setting in OP and just sinking some time in.

Do you have Dynamic contrast on low

Yea dc is on low.

When you pause and switch hdr on/off, are you also going in and turning the brightness back down to SDR settings?

Tried it with 20 and turning it down to 10ish.

Edit: And btw I am not a torch mode user ^^.

mario_O

It doesn't double in brightness going from 500 nits to 1000. Above 700 nits or so, the difference is much less.

ss_lemonade

I think what causes confusion the most is some expect HDR to be extremely bright and really colorful when it really isn't always that (or I don't think that's all there is to it). Without seeing that or knowing what to look for, HDR may just look like a different color profile to others. It's why I probably wouldn't pass a blind test as well myself. I know that it looks good though but I can only really tell that I'm in HDR mode when doing a quick swap between SDR and HDR. That's when I see a big difference

Haines

Banned
It's certainly possible that people expect some huge neon lights change idk.

It's always puzzling to me that people can't see a difference.

Belker

HDR on the KS8000 can get really bright. But as stated above, that's not its purpose. I wouldn't want to squint at a screen all the time when I'm playing, but the ocasional spike can add to atmosphere or difficulty (in Horizon when a Watcher flashbangs you.)

It's a crescendo, not a chorus.

It's certainly possible that people expect some huge neon lights change idk.

It's always puzzling to me that people can't see a difference.

Seriously.

Yesterday I watched Forza 7's HDR videos and then I watched a Gran Turismo Sport 4K video as well, with no HDR. It's like night and day. And no, it doesn't shine as to make me blind lol. It's hard to explain.

Boss Man

Seriously.

Yesterday I watched Forza 7's HDR videos and then I watched a Gran Turismo Sport 4K video as well, with no HDR. It's like night and day. And no, it doesn't shine as to make me blind lol. It's hard to explain.
The best example I can give of HDR is like taking a picture in a dim room with flash vs taking it without flash.

Haines

Banned
I'm playing horizon and it's glorious on this tv.

I can simply shoot a fire arrow at night and the red trail looks sweet.

HDR can be slightly blinding if you have that effect where you stare into the sun in horizon. It's certainly bright as hell at the right angle o.o

If you want bright colors etc witness is pretty good for that

ss_lemonade

Does anyone else here use arc with their TV and receiver? I can't seem to get surround sound working from external sources connected directly to my TV. My setup looks like this

- HDMI cable between input 4 of TV (arc) and arc/hdmi out of my receiver
- HDMI 1 - 3 of TV used by other devices

I only get stereo with the devices plugged to HDMI 1 - 3. Built in apps like youtube pass surround just fine and I am able to select an appropriate Audio Format on the TV. External devices though gray out the Dolby Digital and DTS Audio Format options. I've tried my Shield Portable, a Steam Link and a Nintendo Switch and they all are unable to get surround sound to my TV, and to my receiver.

Yoday

Does anyone else here use arc with their TV and receiver? I can't seem to get surround sound working from external sources connected directly to my TV. My setup looks like this

- HDMI cable between input 4 of TV (arc) and arc/hdmi out of my receiver
- HDMI 1 - 3 of TV used by other devices

I only get stereo with the devices plugged to HDMI 1 - 3. Built in apps like youtube pass surround just fine and I am able to select an appropriate Audio Format on the TV. External devices though gray out the Dolby Digital and DTS Audio Format options. I've tried my Shield Portable, a Steam Link and a Nintendo Switch and they all are unable to get surround sound to my TV, and to my receiver.
You have to turn on bitstream in the TVs audio settings. ARC can not passthrough PCM higher than 2.1. However, bitstream has a very noticeable 100ms delay when in game mode that can not be negated. Basically, if you use game mode and don't have an HDCP 2.2 receiver you'll need to use PCM 2.1 in ARC, connect directly to your reciever through optical with earch device, or suffer a horrible audio delay.

ss_lemonade

You have to turn on bitstream in the TVs audio settings. ARC can not passthrough PCM higher than 2.1. However, bitstream has a very noticeable 100ms delay when in game mode that can not be negated. Basically, if you use game mode and don't have an HDCP 2.2 receiver you'll need to use PCM 2.1 in ARC, connect directly to your reciever through optical with earch device, or suffer a horrible audio delay.
I use a denon x1300w. Specs say it's hdcp 2.2 so it looks like things should work but they don't. I already have the TV set to bitstream but I still get stereo

Yoday

I use a denon x1300w. Specs say it's hdcp 2.2 so it looks like things should work but they don't. I already have the TV set to bitstream but I still get stereo
You really shouldn't even be using ARC in that case unless you're using it specifically for the TV apps. I couldn't say if there are any settings you need to change on your receiver, but on the TV you need HDMI audio format set to Bitstream, and Audio Format set to Dolby Digital or DTS. Also make sure you've set the proper audio output format on your devices in their audio settings. You should have your XBO or PS4 connected directly to the receiver and set to output in PCM with uncompressed 7.1.

ss_lemonade

You really shouldn't even be using ARC in that case unless you're using it specifically for the TV apps. I couldn't say if there are any settings you need to change on your receiver, but on the TV you need HDMI audio format set to Bitstream, and Audio Format set to Dolby Digital or DTS. Also make sure you've set the proper audio output format on your devices in their audio settings. You should have your XBO or PS4 connected directly to the receiver and set to output in PCM with uncompressed 7.1.
Yeah, I might just do that. Only reason I wanted to connect straight to my TV was because I was running out of inputs on my receiver and I wanted to get separate video settings (was planning on hooking up a Steam Link I got today)

Yeah, you know what you're doing. Goodfellas is the main one where it's actually an incredible version of the film, so much more detailed and contoured in every way, but at your usual settings that work for every other movie, it can look like it has crushed blacks and probably need the gamma to go up to 1 or 2. There's the scene were Ray Liotta just gets out of prison and is talking with Pauly in the back yard... at low gamma, the tree has no bark - it's just black. Couldn't see the bark until I turned it up to 2. Now with Dynamic Contrast and Smart LED off, it's legible at 0 gamma and I don't have to mess with it. With the decision making features off, the TV's software isn't going "oh, I better make this scene pitch black because there's a light bulb on the ceiling" and whatnot..

I've finally viewed more UHD's and they all look best with DC off completely -- you're right...but I still think there's a problem with some catalog discs that look really dark. I can't get the 4k Unforgiven to even resemble the remastered Blu-Ray with the conservative settings I have unless I use Dynamic Contrast on Medium. It looks absolutely unwatchable to me with DC off, even with the backlight up. Now, it could be a disc issue, because the catalog stuff like Unforgiven and Goodfellas are the titles that don't look that amazing to me, personally.

Heel

Yeah, I might just do that. Only reason I wanted to connect straight to my TV was because I was running out of inputs on my receiver and I wanted to get separate video settings (was planning on hooking up a Steam Link I got today)

Did you not have a good experience with the Steam Link app for Samsung?

I read a few people saying the app is better than the hardware (plus the app will eventually support 4k), so I'd be curious to read your comparison between the two as far as latency goes, etc.

I dont understand how people cant see the improvement in HDR

I conected my PC to my KS8000 and tested some HDR content. Planet Earth 2 in 4K HDR is just jaw dropping o_O.

Also tested RE7 and Shadow Warrior 2 in HDR. Its amazing!!!! I hope the next games releases comes with HDR.

ss_lemonade

Did you not have a good experience with the Steam Link app for Samsung?

I read a few people saying the app is better than the hardware (plus the app will eventually support 4k), so I'd be curious to read your comparison between the two as far as latency goes, etc.

The app was bad with my setup. Bluetooth-connected Dualshock 4 had random bouts of input lag and the streaming quality itself had too much artifacts and stuttered quite a bit. This was all on wireless by the way (host PC is wired to my router a few rooms away) so maybe my TV was just having a hard time getting a good quality signal. Steam Link in comparison ran near perfect from the same location, and my controller (a Dualshock 3 this time, but I don't think there would be a difference) via bluetooth had no input lag. I also get surround sound while the TV app just gave a stereo signal back to my receiver.

My Shield Portable had the best stream quality though (in case you're considering an Nvidia Shield product) because I could get near 80 - 100 Mbps on it, giving me video output that looks almost close to native 1080p. The Steam Link hardware (and maybe the TV app?) tops out at 30Mbps so it's output is a bit on the soft side. Uncapping and forcing a higher bitrate introduces stuttering and skipped frames so my guess is it's a hardware limitation with the decoder. Maybe the TV can do better in this department since they're planning on having 4k support, which would require way more than 30Mbps

JMY86

I dont understand how people cant see the improvement in HDR

I conected my PC to my KS8000 and tested some HDR content. Planet Earth 2 in 4K HDR is just jaw dropping o_O.

Also tested RE7 and Shadow Warrior 2 in HDR. Its amazing!!!! I hope the next games releases comes with HDR.

Yeah the difference really is astounding IMO. I played through Mass Effect: Andromeda on PC with my KS8000 and the HDR was very impressive. I am going to pick up RE7 during the Steam Summer Sale.

Heel

The app was bad with my setup. Bluetooth-connected Dualshock 4 had random bouts of input lag and the streaming quality itself had too much artifacts and stuttered quite a bit. This was all on wireless by the way (host PC is wired to my router a few rooms away) so maybe my TV was just having a hard time getting a good quality signal. Steam Link in comparison ran near perfect from the same location, and my controller (a Dualshock 3 this time, but I don't think there would be a difference) via bluetooth had no input lag. I also get surround sound while the TV app just gave a stereo signal back to my receiver.

My Shield Portable had the best stream quality though (in case you're considering an Nvidia Shield product) because I could get near 80 - 100 Mbps on it, giving me video output that looks almost close to native 1080p. The Steam Link hardware (and maybe the TV app?) tops out at 30Mbps so it's output is a bit on the soft side. Uncapping and forcing a higher bitrate introduces stuttering and skipped frames so my guess is it's a hardware limitation with the decoder. Maybe the TV can do better in this department since they're planning on having 4k support, which would require way more than 30Mbps

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time. Gonna give the app a try and work from there.

Aske

According to the official thread on AVS, this is the fix for the ads.

"Quick and easy method to permanently remove those pesky, distracting and unacceptable tile ads from the SmartHub Menu. Here's how I did it:

Settings/Network/Network Status/IP Setting/DNS Setting - change to "Enter manually" and enter 198.101.242.72

That's it, you're done. No more ads. *Note, It's possible it might take a few hours/a day for your DNS cache to expire and have the TV re-query using their servers.

DNS Servers provided by Alternate DNS. alternate-dns.com"

I've only just done it, but figured I'd drop this in here in case it works. Found nothing to suggest it doesn't, so fingers crossed.

Tall Paul

I've missed all this firmware stuff, I'm in the uk which version shouldn't I be on? Are there notes?
Hi, There's never any notes I'm afraid, that's what makes it annoying, but my KS8000 (UK) updated about a week ago so it's worth checking for a firmware update via settings, but nothing of obvious note has changed.

Edit: 1180.5 is the latest.

Gowans

Thanks, the only thing I've noticed over the last few days is it's fussy on when it wants to power off.

Just waiting for

hdmi auto switching to switch to be fixed
HDR settings state change saving
Steam link

Tall Paul

Oddly enough mine was a bit funny this morning about that as well, just thought the batteries were low but will check. Worth looking at at AV Forums page for other info on the set for UK.

laxu

I ran into the "HDR is too dark" issue today with Netflix. I thought it was just because I was watching during the day but yeah, it did seem too dark. Never had the issue with PS4 Pro but now had to turn dynamic contrast to medium for the picture to look right.

t hicks

Banned
Sooo my tv remote froze and I had to restart my TV, now I can't get any applications to appear in the smart hub :/ They all still work if I use the search function but how do I get them back on the smart hub? I can't even find the App Store anymore wtf

EDIT: Got them back, had to do a factory reset.... very annoying but whatever lol

Top Bottom