• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

JWhalley

Neo Member
I've noticed what may be an issue which I hope you can help me with

When I go into Amazon Prime and play a video a message comes up which states "An HDR Video is Playing". However when I start an HDR game on the PS4 Pro I do not see this message. When I press the 'Info' button on the remote it does state [HDR] in the top right

I could have sworn I used to get this message when I first got the TV and was playing Uncharted 4 on it a while back?

Does everyone else get this message when starting games or has this changed in a firmware?

I am just concerned I am no longer getting HDR. Thanks for help

A recent firmware change has changed the banner behavior. I'm not even sure the banner ever popped up in game mode for me. It's possible your TV has updated or maybe you weren't in game mode before?

Regardless, if the "Info" button says HDR, then you are getting HDR. If you are in Game Mode, just be sure to go in and raise the backlight to 20 while playing HDR and then lower it again when you are done with HDR gaming. This is only an issue with Game Mode.

JWhalley

Neo Member
A recent firmware change has changed the banner behavior. I'm not even sure the banner ever popped up in game mode for me. It's possible your TV has updated or maybe you weren't in game mode before?

Regardless, if the "Info" button says HDR, then you are getting HDR. If you are in Game Mode, just be sure to go in and raise the backlight to 20 while playing HDR and then lower it again when you are done with HDR gaming. This is only an issue with Game Mode.

Thanks that's reassuring. I sadly haven't had much time for the PS4 recently but previously in game mode (adjusting back-light / smart led) I remember that banner pop up annoying me. Glad to hear it's a firmware change and not popping for others

On a side note, I've also noticed that when switching to the PS4 HDMI with HDR turned on it takes ~10 seconds to register (I assume handshaking) compared to 1-2 seconds with HDR turned off. Is this standard? I don't recall it taking this long previously

Sorry for the questions :)

I've noticed what may be an issue which I hope you can help me with

When I go into Amazon Prime and play a video a message comes up which states "An HDR Video is Playing". However when I start an HDR game on the PS4 Pro I do not see this message. When I press the 'Info' button on the remote it does state [HDR] in the top right

I could have sworn I used to get this message when I first got the TV and was playing Uncharted 4 on it a while back?

Does everyone else get this message when starting games or has this changed in a firmware?

The latest firmware update unfortunately removed the HDR notifcation for games.

RPS37

I finally let someone borrow my PSVR so now I get a chance to check out HDR.
I put on Uncharted 4 and the option to turn on HDR is unavailable. What do I need to do to get it to work?

j0hnnix

Just received the notification for 1180.. I'm in the US East. Should I install or wait.. is anything actually fixed?

Rbk_3

I finally let someone borrow my PSVR so now I get a chance to check out HDR.
I put on Uncharted 4 and the option to turn on HDR is unavailable. What do I need to do to get it to work?

You have to turn on HDMI UHD Color for the input on the TV the PS4 is plugged into.

Haines

Banned
I cant figure this tv out for the life of me.

Playing horizon. Scenes look like garbage. DC low, boom everything is nice. Check a bunch of content. Dc low looks perfect.

Than tonight halfway into gaming session, everything looks way to bright and horrible. Turn dc off and back to perfect.

I have come to the conclusion that HDR either isnt mastered yet in games, and can vary scene by scene or this tv just has some issues with it.

Its so god damn inconsistent.

Playing horizon. Scenes look like garbage. DC low, boom everything is nice. Check a bunch of content. Dc low looks perfect.

Than tonight halfway into gaming session, everything looks way to bright and horrible. Turn dc off and back to perfect.

I have come to the conclusion that HDR either isnt mastered yet in games, and can vary scene by scene or this tv just has some issues with it.

I tried dynamic contrast on low on HZD after you suggested it and it never looked right IMO.

Rbk_3

I think it is the former.

philm87

DC sucks.

I'm loving DC on medium. Makes Skyrim looks awesome. Sure you get some crushing of whites and blacks, but you better a better contrast ratio with it on i.e. Blacker blacks and whiter whites. As always it's just personal preference. Think the negative effects are less noticeable on my tiny 49".

For the love of God people, Dynamic Contrast absolutely murders the color palette and it is very easy to notice too. Just put Horizon in a sunny scene and take a look at Alloy's hair with DC off and on... Or the grass, the flowers... Your choice if you like that neon look.

I'm loving DC on medium. Makes Skyrim looks awesome. Sure you get some crushing of whites and blacks, but you better a better contrast ratio with it on i.e. Blacker blacks and whiter whites. As always it's just personal preference. Think the negative effects are less noticeable on my tiny 49".

I don't think Skyrim Remastered has HDR support so using DC would not negatively impact the image.

For the love of God people, Dynamic Contrast absolutely murders the color palette and it is very easy to notice too. Just put Horizon in a sunny scene and take a look at Alloy's hair with DC off and on... Or the grass, the flowers... Your choice if you like that neon look.

Agreed. I tried it and yes DC makes color "pop", but it doesn't look natural at all paired with HDR. I would not recommend it, but it's all personal preference though.

philm87

I don't think Skyrim Remastered has HDR support so using DC would not negatively impact the image.

Would still potentially add a bit of black/white crushing. Doesn't make the colours look oversaturated on mine. I prefer the pop and vibrancy, looks less washed out. My eyesight isn't could enough to see the loss in accuracy :p . Makes it look like the picture has more depth to it when I use DC on gaming. Also makes things like textures look much better and more visible, which is why the 4K textures in Skyrim look so great with it on.

While I agree entire with you, some folks like those punchy colors that pop. It's up to them, but that is certainly not the way HDR is supposed to look.

Robiin

Looks like I am getting a switch. So how does it look on this tv? Any specific settings I should use?
I can post my Switch settings in a bit. Zelda looks fantastic even if it is far from native res. Like a moving painting honestly. Nintendo games are in my opinion some of the content that actually looks better with some "pop" in the colors, but ymmv.

EDIT: Here is the google doc where I have all my settings: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FW8_olG09FfbBTBDSIcQZboh4kZQ8u7wF2sFRv82I1c/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone sees something they super disagree with, please let me know. Color settings are very deliberate though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Trying to use the swell hdmi switch device on my 65KS8000. Only sees the PSVR, but not the PS4 Pro. Is there something I did wrong?

This samething happened to me, but I was able to see the PS4 PRO, but not PSVR. It's stupid.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After update 1180 I no longer get auto switching when I turn on ps4 or Xbox one. Anyone else notice this

Yes. My kids turning on the Wii U no longer hijacks the TV. Hurray!

Heel

Taking away a feature instead of making it optional is not a good choice. Seems like a lazy reaction to the Switch's problem, honestly.

Eco sensor appears to have turned itself on with latest update, remember to turn it off unless you want your backlight turning itself down with HDr images, annoying HDR notificarions has been removed also.

Heel

Is it not just broke. I expect it to be fixed.

Hard to say with Samsung being so opaque when it comes to firmware updates.

Basing it on this response from Samsung saying they were going to fix the problem when it was never their problem to fix in the first place. It was a problem with the Switch itself affecting multiple TV manufacturers, which I believe Nintendo themselves fixed in a recent firmware update.

You should just be able to toggle whether or not an HDMI port auto switches, IMO.

I can post my Switch settings in a bit. Zelda looks fantastic even if it is far from native res. Like a moving painting honestly. Nintendo games are in my opinion some of the content that actually looks better with some "pop" in the colors, but ymmv.

EDIT: Here is the google doc where I have all my settings: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FW8_olG09FfbBTBDSIcQZboh4kZQ8u7wF2sFRv82I1c/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone sees something they super disagree with, please let me know. Color settings are very deliberate though.

Thanks Man!

Top Bottom