• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Haines

Banned
Hard to say with Samsung being so opaque when it comes to firmware updates.

Basing it on this response from Samsung saying they were going to fix the problem when it was never their problem to fix in the first place. It was a problem with the Switch itself affecting multiple TV manufacturers, which I believe Nintendo themselves fixed in a recent firmware update.

You should just be able to toggle whether or not an HDMI port auto switches, IMO.

My bad. I thought you were talking about the hdr toast

tiku

Do I really need to set my PS4 Pro tu Full and my TV Black Level to normal? I've just changed both values from Auto to those and Horizon looks the same way...

I read that "Auto" options were broken.

tiku

I was lucky, then?

Horizon looks exactly the same way when the TV and PS4 Pro are both on "Auto" and when using "Normal" on the TV and "Complete" on the PS4 Pro...

When using another combination the "dim" effect appears.

I don't know what to think...

ss_lemonade

Do I really need to set my PS4 Pro tu Full and my TV Black Level to normal? I've just changed both values from Auto to those and Horizon looks the same way...

I read that "Auto" options were broken.

Auto does not work with Samsung TVs
Auto somewhat works on my ks9000, as long as I don't change it to anything else while something (eg. PS4) is running. If I switch it to low then auto for instance, then it stays stuck on low, even if my PS4 is set to full. Toggling my PS4's rgb setting then makes it auto work again. Also, if running HDR on a PS4 Pro, I believe the RGB setting should be automatically set to the proper setting. The TV should also gray it out for you. When using a regular PS4 though, yes you do need to make sure your TV is running in Full/Normal black level and PS4 is set to full RGB

Auto doesn't work though for my Xbox One. It always thinks that my Xbox is set to low RGB or something.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was lucky, then?

Horizon looks exactly the same way when the TV and PS4 Pro are both on "Auto" and when using "Normal" on the TV and "Complete" on the PS4 Pro...

Hmmmm....and ECO mode is turned off?

Heel

I was lucky, then?

Auto on the TV and PS4 Pro works fine and is a match for all content. Don't listen to these crazy people.

Varg

Banned
Anyone else when gaming on this tv with a pc, 1080p and 4k settings work fine , but whenever I want to play at 1440p, the colors are all distorted ( everything is a purple basically). It only happens when I select 1440p.

philm87

I've got an idea why they removed the 'hdr video playing' banner in the latest update. Could it be something to do with the problem people get with the screen going blank when in hdr? Cos when that happens it pops back up with the banner as if entering a hdr video again.

Haines

Banned
I don't know what I was thing using DC low. I think playing too much Zelda made me forget what real lighting looked like.

When on them avs forums and people were convinced you need DC.

Nope. It does nothing but ruin the image.

Been loving the shit out if horizon. Looks his damn incresible.

Played some crash and even that looked fantastic on this tv. Just that small res bump goes a long way.

I don't know what I was thing using DC low. I think playing too much Zelda made me forget what real lighting looked like.

When on them avs forums and people were convinced you need DC.

Nope. It does nothing but ruin the image..

Really depends on what source you are using. I have DC off for everything -- except UHD playback, where I have it set on Low. The image totally needs a bump and is way too dim otherwise. For that, I have Backlight at 12 and with DC on Low, it looks really good. I've tried it every other way (turning DC off, pumping up the Backlight), and nothing else comes close to matching that image IMO. HDR, at least when playing back UHDs on my Oppo, really needs DC, albeit at a minimum.

Can't speak for HDR gaming, and I'd never use DC on anything else...1080p content especially, where it blows out the image, as it would on Zelda. I have it off totally otherwise.

SeanR1221

Wtf. These weren't there last night. Did my screen develop dead pixels overnight?

x0FCtuQ_d.jpg

Belker

The picture makes it look like dust. Perhaps something with the coating? Did you do any dusting or spray anything in there?

I'm grasping, admittedly.

So as of this morning my ks8500 stopped giving me the notification that an hdr video was playin. I can still hit the middle button and see that it's displaying 4k and HDR. Anybody else of this. I like the notification you know...piece of mind.

Yoday

Really depends on what source you are using. I have DC off for everything -- except UHD playback, where I have it set on Low. The image totally needs a bump and is way too dim otherwise. For that, I have Backlight at 12 and with DC on Low, it looks really good. I've tried it every other way (turning DC off, pumping up the Backlight), and nothing else comes close to matching that image IMO. HDR, at least when playing back UHDs on my Oppo, really needs DC, albeit at a minimum.

Can't speak for HDR gaming, and I'd never use DC on anything else...1080p content especially, where it blows out the image, as it would on Zelda. I have it off totally otherwise.
Since abandoning movie mode I have yet to run into the problem of the picture being too dim in HDR. Well, other than the problem of the Netflix app on the XBO being in the dimmed HDR mode for all content. HDR content in movie mode was always too dim, and even game mode being engaged from movie mode introduced the problem. I'd much rather abandon movie mode than use DC and blow out the picture.

Set the PS4 Pro to Full (Auto does not work correctly with Samsung TVs) and set the tv HDMI Black to Normal (you can only change this when not viewing a HDR picture.) Then use the picture settings in OP

I cannot set my HDMI black to normal.. even if its not on HDR signal. :(

So as of this morning my ks8500 stopped giving me the notification that an hdr video was playin. I can still hit the middle button and see that it's displaying 4k and HDR. Anybody else of this. I like the notification you know...piece of mind.

New update removed that notification.

Haines

Banned

I watched a Lego movie UHD. Thought it was dim and turned on DC Low but it was blowing out colors and stuff.

I didn't try turning down the backlight. I have read an article before that suggested backlight being lower does give better results some reason.

I'll give your idea a shot and see what it looks like.

MazeHaze

Banned
Anyone else when gaming on this tv with a pc, 1080p and 4k settings work fine , but whenever I want to play at 1440p, the colors are all distorted ( everything is a purple basically). It only happens when I select 1440p.
Sounds like an issue on the gpu end. 1440p works fine here, gtx 980, scaling set to gpu.

Carnby

Wtf. These weren't there last night. Did my screen develop dead pixels overnight?

x0FCtuQ_d.jpg

Those don't look like dead pixles.

Did you clean it recently? I noticed something similar after cleaning my screen. I thought it was damaged, until they went away somehow.

How regular tv and non pro games look on a 4K tv? Blurry? Better? Thinking on buying one but that's my biggest concern

Depends on the TV. On the KS8000 I would say it looks about the same as it does on a 1080p set of the same size using the same edge lit LCD technology. Or course, if you are coming from plasma or projection the difference will be greater. Those tended to be kinder to older/worse content in my experience. Similarly, if you are comparing a 55" older set to a new 65" 4K set with 720p or older content, then its probably going to look worse than it did on your old set just due to the increase in size.

Haines

Banned
How regular tv and non pro games look on a 4K tv? Blurry? Better? Thinking on buying one but that's my biggest concern

Very much depends on content.

I would only buy a 4k tv if I planned on using it for good quality content.

I would think something like satellite would look like trash but idk.

Belker

I have a normal PS4 and Xbox One. I watch film and shows in 1080 and 4k using apps. It all looks great to me. I remember playing Watch Dogs 2 and thinking how good it must look in 4K, when it already looked good upscaled on the TV.

dcx4610

If anyone is looking for a UHD/4k show off, check out Trainspotting 2. Absolutely gorgeous cinematography and it looks sharp and legit 4k with excellent use of HDR.

I've most been unimpressed with UHD so far since most seem to upscales but T2 nails it.

Head.spawn

Anyone have any luck with Steam Link beta?

My actual Steam Link works fine, this beta app on the otherhand I can't even get to acknowledge my computer,

edit, nvm. All I had to do apparently is post on gaf and then it magically started working seconds later. Gaf Gold ftw

Symphonia

Banned
I watched Mad Max: Fury Road in UHD last night. My God, it looks beautiful on the KS8000. Next up is Fantastic Beasts - that should be pure eye candy.

rcl66

Hoping someone has a similar issue and can help..

My Xbox One S was working fine with his TV when plugged directly into the HDMI on the TV connector box, but when i just upgraded and got a new receiver - the xbox now looses connection (goes black for a short time) or flashes white blocks on half the screen. Strangely this does't occur if I am playing a 4k game like Forza Horizon 3 or watching a 4K blu-ray. But on the xbox dashboard or in a game like overwatch it happens. Sometimes much more often then others but enough its no usable. But I didn't have this issue when going through the TV. Funny enough the PS4 used to have the issue a lot but seems better since hooking it through the receiver.

Anyone have similar issues and suggestion on what can be done? Receiver works fine with PS4 Pro and Apple TV and other inputs.

Head.spawn

Hoping someone has a similar issue and can help..

My Xbox One S was working fine with his TV when plugged directly into the HDMI on the TV connector box, but when i just upgraded and got a new receiver - the xbox now looses connection (goes black for a short time) or flashes white blocks on half the screen. Strangely this does't occur if I am playing a 4k game like Forza Horizon 3 or watching a 4K blu-ray. But on the xbox dashboard or in a game like overwatch it happens. Sometimes much more often then others but enough its no usable. But I didn't have this issue when going through the TV. Funny enough the PS4 used to have the issue a lot but seems better since hooking it through the receiver.

Anyone have similar issues and suggestion on what can be done? Receiver works fine with PS4 Pro and Apple TV and other inputs.

What kind of HDMI cable are you using from your receiver? The only time I ever had issues similar to what you describe (with my PS4 Pro) is when my cable wasn't up to snuff and I had HDR enabled.

rcl66

What kind of HDMI cable are you using from your receiver? The only time I ever had issues similar to what you describe (with my PS4 Pro) is when my cable wasn't up to snuff and I had HDR enabled.

tried 2 different ones - last one was amazon cable - latest standard. It wasn't expensive so that could be the issue i guess.

BONDO

Playing BF1 with this tv is a nightmare. So damn dark....the only game i have issues with.
Anyone have some good BF1 settings? Im tired of messing with settings already lol

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Playing BF1 with this tv is a nightmare. So damn dark....the only game i have issues with.
Anyone have some good BF1 settings? Im tired of messing with settings already lol

No problems whatsoever here... have you set the HDMI Black Level correctly? If your PS4 output is set to Limited RGB, the TV should be on Low, and if your PS4 is set to Full RGB, the TV should be set to Normal.

BONDO

No problems whatsoever here... have you set the HDMI Black Level correctly? If your PS4 output is set to Limited RGB, the TV should be on Low, and if your PS4 is set to Full RGB, the TV should be set to Normal.

Ive tried this. The game is still gorgeous just wayyy to dark

Syrus

Banned
Those playing with Native. Your oversaturating your colors.

Auto has been correct since firmware 1120 or so.

My Xbox looks brilliant with Auto and HDR

duhmetree

I have a vertical light blue line towards the farthest left on the screen... I feel as if it's supposed to be blacked out... It's semi-distracting but more concerning is the possibility of ongoing screen issues...

Anyone have this problem?

Top Bottom