• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Josh378

Trying to use the swell hdmi switch device on my 65KS8000. Only sees the PSVR, but not the PS4 Pro. Is there something I did wrong?

Bessy67

So I'm trying to update my firmware via usb and I can't seem to figure it out. I downloaded the file and extracted it onto the USB drive, then I plugged it in to my TV and chose update but it never gives me the option of checking the USB drive for the update. What am I doing wrong?

Aces&Eights

So I'm trying to update my firmware via usb and I can't seem to figure it out. I downloaded the file and extracted it onto the USB drive, then I plugged it in to my TV and chose update but it never gives me the option of checking the USB drive for the update. What am I doing wrong?

The file has to be named exactly for the tv to see it. Earlier in the thread someone posted a link and I think you can find it on sammys site.

Also, it has to be in the root folder. If it is in a sub folder it won't work.

Haines

Banned

I had to plug mine into the box not the tv

I extracted straight to the drive. No folder.

laxu

I had an issue where Netflix would just show a blank screen and restarting the TV or the app would not help. Had to reset Smart Hub to get it working again.

Grinchy

Banned
I had an issue where Netflix would just show a blank screen and restarting the TV or the app would not help. Had to reset Smart Hub to get it working again.

Yep, I've seen lots of issues with Netflix hanging. I'm just glad the OS on this TV isn't as abhorrent as the Sony X850c. That shit crashed every day.

madmackem

Just bought a standalone uhd 4k player, and boy if you're a movie buff and only own the Xbox one s I'd recommend you stump up for a Panasonic ub700, picture quality looks way better than the s in every aspect.

Robiin

How long do you think this TV will "last"?

I worry about technology all the time, having to upgrade GPUs, phones, consoles etc. too often. Are there new techs in the display market that will render this monitor "old" amytime soon, or will this actually be good for the entire 4K "generation" (until we move up in resolution basically, which is probably ways away still)?

Or will this version of HDR last a while? How about new HDMI versions which handles data transfering differently? Or LED being outdated because of OLED or something even better?

I'm just super happy with this TV at the moment but I hate when I buy something "best in class" just for it to become outdated in one/two years.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm just super happy with this TV at the moment but I hate when I buy something "best in class" just for it to become outdated in one/two years.
That's how it usually is with electronics. I am gonna keep my KS9000 for 5 years or more now and upgrade to an OLED or 8K or whatever.

Robiin

That's how it usually is with electronics. I am gonna keep my KS9000 for 5 years or more now and upgrade to an OLED or 8K or whatever.
5 years is fine to be honest. I just despise phone tech because everything runs on the same OS which is always updated and snappy on the latest phone but starts to run like shit when you have an older model. I'm just starting to worry I jumped on the 4K train before it was acruallu ready.

But so far so good I guess. The main reason I asked is because I stopped caring about display tech when I bought this TV, just wondered what the next big step is. 8K, new HDMI features, another HDR standard, new monitor materials, something else?

mario_O

But so far so good I guess. The main reason I asked is because I stopped caring about display tech when I bought this TV, just wondered what the next big step is. 8K, new HDMI features, another HDR standard, new monitor materials, something else?

I think they're going to stay with 4K for a long while, and focus on improving HDR (dynamic HDR), which is the tech that is really making all the difference in image quality.

madmackem

I worry about technology all the time, having to upgrade GPUs, phones, consoles etc. too often. Are there new techs in the display market that will render this monitor "old" amytime soon, or will this actually be good for the entire 4K "generation" (until we move up in resolution basically, which is probably ways away still)?

Or will this version of HDR last a while? How about new HDMI versions which handles data transfering differently? Or LED being outdated because of OLED or something even better?

The one good thing is this tv could be firmware upgradable to future hdr specs also with the one connect box if hdmi standards move on faster than they normally would it could be as simply as buying a new one connect box and a firmware update. I normally keep TVs around three years so this should be plenty of time for oled to get where I need them to get before I jump in.

laxu

There will always be something better, with brighter HDR etc. That doesn't mean what you bought will suddenly become any worse than when you bought it.

The upcoming big thing would be HDMI 2.1. That would mean 120 Hz input at 4K and variable refresh rate support which would be fantastic for consoles. VRR should be possible to implement with software updates as it doesn't require extra bandwidth. In theory at least Samsung could offer an updated One Connect box that would support HDMI 2.1 but I doubt they will because it would eat the sales of new TVs.

HDR10+ should be coming to the TV in a software update. It allows brightness adjustment per scene.

I might be a little late with the answer, but Dynamic Contrast needs to be turned off. It messes up colour and brightness and is essentially the exact opposite of what HDR delivers. That is why you might hav a hard time spotting the difference.

Not really true. There's an ongoing debate in this thread, on AVS, and pretty much everywhere discussing the KS8000 about Dynamic Contrast. Some people love it, some people don't, but it's incorrect to say that that's why he's having trouble spotting the difference.

Just bought a standalone uhd 4k player, and boy if you're a movie buff and only own the Xbox one s I'd recommend you stump up for a Panasonic ub700, picture quality looks way better than the s in every aspect.

Yeah, I swapped out my Xbox One S for an Oppo UDP-203 a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

I'm using Chrome. What are the plugins?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/download%20youtube?hl=en-US&_category=extensions

I don't use any of these currently so I can't make recommendations, but the reviews and ratings should be helpful in picking one.

How do you turn off ECO mode?

It's an option buried in the TV's menus. It's not in the picture settings but in one of the others. You want all this turned off.

ks8000-config-23-medium.jpg

Is hdr supported on every HDMI input? My ps4 pro said hdr was unavailable on input 3 and a quick Google search hasn't provided any divinitive info. (This is on a ks9000 but I assume it would be the same answer for both)

Haines

Banned
As far as how long to keep this tv goes.

My general rule is what the consoles are capable of. With the pro i needed this tv.

I really cant see the consoles getting much ahead for a long ass time. And for movies, well i cant be buying them at 30 bucks a 4k anyways

My general rule is what the consoles are capable of. With the pro i needed this tv.

I really cant see the consoles getting much ahead for a long ass time. And for movies, well i cant be buying them at 30 bucks a 4k anyways

I'm not paying the much either. Hopefully Redbox will start carrying 4K discs soon.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is hdr supported on every HDMI input? My ps4 pro said hdr was unavailable on input 3 and a quick Google search hasn't provided any divinitive info. (This is on a ks9000 but I assume it would be the same answer for both)
Do you have it passing through a psvr breakout box by chance?

You have to go into the settings and turn on HDR for any input that you want to use it on.

ss_lemonade

4k HDR should work on all inputs. Make sure you enable UHD color on the input you'll be using HDR on (I just enable it on all inputs)

Haines

Banned
I'm not paying the much either. Hopefully Redbox will start carrying 4K discs soon.

I just bought lego movie 4k for 20

My kid is getting into lego and we only watched it on netflix before, its on bluray for 10 but why the heck do i own this expensive tv if im not going to pay 10 more for the 4k hdr version

Its upscale but i read cgi upscales really well

First 4k i actually bought.

k1t4j

does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade the firmware on the ks9000 series?

Lately I noticed while playing some games that I get the double image effect and this shit is bothering me to no end, I have this TV for 2 months now and I could swear for the first 1,5 month it was all fine but now I have this crap popping up every now and then.

So you have an idea, apologies if I can't link to this website, this guy has a picture of the issue:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/picture-issues-with-the-samsung-ks9000.2028627/

I'm thinking it's firmware related and wanted to try to downgrade it to a previous version.

If you guys have any better insight, please let me know...

Basically this happens for a split second

I've only had it happen to me once but some people seem to have it frequently. If you're at 1165 or under though, consider yourself lucky.

I got the FW update yesterday 1180.. it still does not fix the above crap though.... :(

madmackem

Firmware was pushed this morning ks9000 uk, put off updating for now as I'm happy with current what does this improve or fix or break?.

philm87

Yeah consoles aren't going to surpass 4K for a long time, only just stumbling towards it now.

Can't see UHD films becoming popular until they come down to a reasonable price. £20-£25 for a disc is ridiculous. I know it's that high because it's not a big enough market at the moment, but maybe they need to drive the increase in the market by lowering the prices.

Can anyont tell me what i should be using for the ps4 (pro) settings.
Like, i'm still super confused.. do i want full or limited on? and i dont see anywhere on the TV to change full and limited also.

And i saw posts recommending to change the black level but it always says unavailable..

zoukka

My kid is getting into lego and we only watched it on netflix before, its on bluray for 10 but why the heck do i own this expensive tv if im not going to pay 10 more for the 4k hdr version

First 4K movie you bought wasn't even 4K :b

bennibop

Can anyont tell me what i should be using for the ps4 (pro) settings.
Like, i'm still super confused.. do i want full or limited on? and i dont see anywhere on the TV to change full and limited also.

And i saw posts recommending to change the black level but it always says unavailable..

Set the PS4 Pro to Full (Auto does not work correctly with Samsung TVs) and set the tv HDMI Black to Normal (you can only change this when not viewing a HDR picture.) Then use the picture settings in OP

philm87

anywhere in the uk selling this TV????? 55inch+

Will be KS7000 in UK. Everywhere seems to be running short on stock though. Saw Currys had a 49" at a good price but they're out of the 55"

Here for £1049
http://www.reliantdirect.co.uk/Televisions/LED-Backlight-LCD/Samsung-UE55KS7000-Flat-SUHD-TV-With-Quantum-Dot-Display_UE55KS7000.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIocvK6Ize1AIVwaMYCh1JnA9VEAAYASAAEgLPA_D_BwE

I got my KS9000 here on ebay, previously returned, but was only a scratch on the back of the casing, everything else perfect. The KS7500 55 inch (curved) is £750 there
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Electronics-Warehouse-Ltd

For peace of mind I'd probably pay the extra for a decent warranty, was a much bigger saving to get a refurb/returned tv when I got mine.

First 4K movie you bought wasn't even 4K :b

You still greatly benefit from the HDR and the higher bitrate. Several 2K masters sit alongside the best that 4K UHD has to offer. Pacific Rim, John Wick Chapter 2, and The Shallows are all great examples of this.

Is there a site or list that breaks down which releases are actually based on 4K material?

realorfake4k.com is pretty good.

There's also a stickied thread on blu-ray.com that keeps an up-to-date list of 4K UHDs that utilize a 4K or higher master.

Haines

Banned
Yeah I used that real or fake site to decide my purchase.

I also own batman vs sups 4k as a gift and it looked great but i hates the movie lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/download%20youtube?hl=en-US&_category=extensions

I don't use any of these currently so I can't make recommendations, but the reviews and ratings should be helpful in picking one.

It's an option buried in the TV's menus. It's not in the picture settings but in one of the others. You want all this turned off.

MY GOD! Thank you!!! The mode I like the best, kept dimming on me so I had to choose "natural" mode instead. I will try this later today.

tiku

According to the official thread on AVS, this is the fix for the ads.

"Quick and easy method to permanently remove those pesky, distracting and unacceptable tile ads from the SmartHub Menu. Here's how I did it:

Settings/Network/Network Status/IP Setting/DNS Setting - change to "Enter manually" and enter 198.101.242.72

That's it, you're done. No more ads. *Note, It's possible it might take a few hours/a day for your DNS cache to expire and have the TV re-query using their servers.

DNS Servers provided by Alternate DNS. alternate-dns.com"

I've only just done it, but figured I'd drop this in here in case it works. Found nothing to suggest it doesn't, so fingers crossed.

Just noticed today: you can disable this kind of ads on our Samsung KS7000 and KS800.

Just go to the last sub-menu (I'm from Spain, so I can't know how it´s named in English. "Assistance", perhaps?) and then navigate until "Customized ads" or similar. Uncheck the option inside and that's all, no more ads on Tizen OS ;)

Hope this advice helps you! :D

Top Bottom