• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders re-enable native Oculus Rift support in Aliens Isolation

Byshop

Th OP is wrong. I had to do this.

1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:

<Setting name="Stereo Mode">
<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.

3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.

4) Start the game.

I think having Off and Rift with the same precedence causes an issue

This mostly worked for me, but I wasn't able to get it to output in Direct mode. It works in Extended, but when i flip to "Direct" mode following the above steps it display on the primary monitor and not the Oculus. The weird thing is, after unpausing and flipping to Direct mode the Oculus Runtime Utility the Oculus Config Utility claims that there's no Oculus attached, even though the display on the main monitor is clearly affected by movement of the device. Trying to go fullscreen in Extended mode also pushes it to one of my monitors even though the Oculus is the main display.

I was able to get it working approximately by leaving it in Extende mode, and then dragging the game window to the Oculus display and aligning it so it's almost fullscreen. This worked ok, although some of the HUD text and pop ups were hard to read.

chris121580

This mostly worked for me, but I wasn't able to get it to output in Direct mode. It works in Extended, but when i flip to "Direct" mode following the above steps it display on the primary monitor and not the Oculus. The weird thing is, after unpausing and flipping to Direct mode the Oculus Runtime Utility the Oculus Config Utility claims that there's no Oculus attached, even though the display on the main monitor is clearly affected by movement of the device. Trying to go fullscreen in Extended mode also pushes it to one of my monitors even though the Oculus is the main display.

I was able to get it working approximately by leaving it in Extende mode, and then dragging the game window to the Oculus display and aligning it so it's almost fullscreen. This worked ok, although some of the HUD text and pop ups were hard to read.

I had problems as well so I switched it to extended mode and then changed my monitor to portrait settings and it worked fine

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
I cant express enough how great this game is in vr. When you're being hunted by the alien, the mechanics of the game melt away and suddenly you are there in this world. It hits home when you find yourself craning your head all around in a locker to peak at the alien.

So great.

How do you not have a heart attack while playing it?

Byshop

I had problems as well so I switched it to extended mode and then changed my monitor to portrait settings and it worked fine

I tried that already, but landscape flipped is the only mode that correctly displays the Oculus and only when I don't have that mirrored with another display. On the other hand, I can use Virtual Desktop and drop all monitors except the Oculus and try that since it displays and works but it keeps wanting to push it to the wrong monitor. I'll give that a shot after work.

Thanks.

Edit: It works in Extended mode just fine if I make the Oculus the secondary monitor. For some weird reason, this game really wants to run on a secondary display.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ok, so now that I'm rested and relaxed I can give a bit more of an indepth breakdown. We livestreamed till about 9 in the morning, at which point I went to sleep (my friends had since crashed out). I'll probably livestream next time I play as well, under the same channels, because doing so was a lot of fun.

I used 3 PCs to do my live streaming. My primary PC, the one running the game itself, was using the rift as the only connected display to try and help reduce judder as much as possible. This PC was running OBS to broadcast its monitor feed to twitch on one account. Because I didn't want to further stress the machine, I used a steam machine from Dev Days to run a webcam and mic stream to the second twitch channel. Finally, for the benefit of other people in the room, who couldn't see my rift output even if I had another monitor connected, we had a third PC hooked up to the television, streaming back the twitch feed to our TV.

The game itself is kind of bipolar so far. The first 4 or 5 hours -- which took us about 7 hours to do because we got stuck for an hour twice -- are a real trudge. Lots of exposition, slow dialog, boring non-alien enemies. Anything that isn't an alien in this game kinda blows, using stealth around them is dull and feels unrewarded. These segments are also much more scripted and thus lacks a lot of tension. It feels like you're kind of just blundering about until you can figure out the correct combination of moves to make to get through them. And it this section keeps going for so long.

I guess, in a way, they're trying to emulate the pacing of the original movie, which had a very slow build up in the beginning (you don't see the alien in the film for the entire first hour), but it doesn't work as well in a video game.

The second half of the game (thus far for us) is, however, thrilling. Being hunted by the alien is an exhilarating experience. This portion of the game feels unlike any game I've played, especially with VR. The game itself is built with a huge focus on controlling your display, rather than combat. If you look at the controls for the game, a surprising attention is given to the ways you can lean and peak, giving you much finer control over your vision than you'd normally expect. Obviously, this translates wonderfully to VR, where you have the ultimate control of your view.

That makes this game a perfect candidate to demonstrate the ways in which virtual reality can greatly expand and improve a gameplay experience. So much of the gameplay around the alien involves hiding and watching the alien from far away. The general structure of the game is that it drops you into large maps periodically, and tasks you with an objective, usually getting from one side to the other (and sometimes back) with often nothing but the single alien in the area hunting you. These segments are essentially challenge levels, as there are usually very sparse save points in each segments (maybe 1 if you are lucky, frequently none at all). This recalls a very oldschool sort of mindset, which I expect many reviewers couldn't gel with. As a retro gamer myself, however, I adore this setup, especially when the gameplay feels this good and rewarding.

The alien hunts you relentlessly in these segments, and unlike non-alien enemies, the alien feels very random. He doesn't patrol set paths, and thus you find yourself watching him for long periods of time until a window of opportunity opens. The AI for the alien is really fun to mess with in my experience. He's inquisitive, and will go around the area you're in looking in doors or exploring nooks and crannies. Even when hiding, your motion is tracked and this gives you the ability to look out at angles of slits to watch the alien.

The alien is pretty much unstoppable and giving yourself away is pretty much instant death. You can give yourself away in realistically any way you can imagine. Within the context of VR, that takes on added dimensions. When you are hiding in a locker, for example, you can move your head to look around the slits at angles. But, just like in real life, if you move your head too much, you can actually bang it on the door, which creates a noise for the alien to hear. The nature of the alien naturally inspecting locker doors leads to some incredibly tense situations. Hiding in a locker, as the alien sniffs the vents, you find youself frozen in terror, concentrating on not moving an inch in real life because you don't want to tap the locker and give yourself away.

Given the terrific graphics, which approach a degree of photorealism compared to the sets and alien of the films themselves, these situations, when they all come together, form a very powerful experience. I haven't ever felt so enthralled or invested in the safety of my character. The lack of save points in individual levels provides a tangible punishment for losing beyond the way your heart begins to race and palms sweat - losing means also losing 20 or so minutes of your time.

I expected to be horrified out of my mind, and at times the game can be that way, but it's more about being on the edge of your seat, feet cold, with an intense sense of dread about you for hours on end. This is compounded by the audio, which is terrific and dynamic. As the alien approaches and you slowly get figured out, the music dynamically approaches crescendo, building terror. The audio, with a good pair of headphones, also lets you further track the alien, as it uses stereo to great effect. The alien walks like someone who is stepping too hard on the top floor of an apartment. You can hear his weight in each step as it lumbers around the ship, giving you context into where it is. Sometimes, it'll climb into vents too, and you can hear scratching moving from above you. This is pretty much nightmare fuel, especially when you're standing still, hiding, after having lost sight of the alien and you can hear it approach.

This actually becomes physically exhausting after a long period of time. We had originally intended to livestream the entire game in one sitting, but we all eventually felt we needed a break, for our bodies. This has felt like a very new, very different kind of gameplay experience, and easily one of the very best things you can experience in VR.

Aside from the very slow, pretty dull opening, the game has been terrific. As I understand it, near the end, it becomes more like the opening again and that sounds like it'll be a shame. Because being hunted by the alien is one of the freshest, most rewarding experiences I've felt in a long time. I'd say, thus far, I'm agreeing with a lot of the 8/10 scores - the problems are in pacing, definitely not mechanics. Honestly, going forward, I don't think I'd ever want to play this game without VR - I feel VR makes this a pretty transformative experience.

How hard would it be to mod in some VR-specific features like comfort mode or decoupling movement from head motion? Seems like it would solve a bunch of "jank" issues with the mode

arcoN

Neo Member
My Rig fully supports it - but on the Rift when im moving my Head i get judder.

When looking around in an "wider" area i get Judder.

When im Looking around in an closet or in front of a wall the judder is still there but its less noticeable...

When moving or turning with the controller - everything is smooth as hell.

even setting the settings on mid or low includes the judder when looking around with rift..

hmmm

nynt9

The game starts on my actual monitor and not the rift, how do I remedy this?

Also my DK2 isn't appearing in the list of monitors even when the service isn't disabled, but the demo scene works. I have no idea.

chris121580

The game starts on my actual monitor and not the rift, how do I remedy this?

Also my DK2 isn't appearing in the list of monitors even when the service isn't disabled, but the demo scene works. I have no idea.

Go into the DK2 rift setting and change it to extended and that should fix it for you

GeoGonzo

Cool impressions, krejlooc. Thanks for sharing!

Screw Sega. This is as bad as Ubisoft's WatchDogs shenanigans, if not worse as this is a key part of how you experience the game vs some superficial graphics options.

Woah, I disagree! It's pretty amazing that they worked so much with it as it is... they probably expected this "hack" would happen but simply didn't want to bother running tech support for a device with WIP drivers/DKU.

I could see how some may have felt misled but I don't think they'd ever claimed that their VR support was anything more than a tech demo for showrooms. In fact, seeing it work for the whole game is quite a surprise!

chris121580

Woah, I disagree! It's pretty amazing that they worked so much with it as it is... they probably expected this "hack" would happen but simply didn't want to bother running tech support for a device with WIP drivers/DKU.

I could see how some may have felt misled but I don't think they'd ever claimed that their VR support was anything more than a tech demo for showrooms. In fact, seeing it work for the whole game is quite a surprise!

Yeah, I'm totally ok with it as long as they don't patch it. That would suck

Soi-Fong

I have a DK2 and I have this game and a pretty kick ass rig in this:

i7 2600k @ 4.4 gHz
GTX 780 Ti Classified
16 GB Memory

Only problem is that I hate horror games... Shit..

Tain

aight, I'm sold on this. It's just a question of when, and that will probably be after I play Evil Within.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn that's awesome. Just ordered it for PS4, but when I get my rift this will definitely get a replay.

nynt9

I forgot what the setting used to be before I changed it, can someone tell me what I need to change the line back to to disable "rift mode"?

bj00rn_

Banned
just delete your config and it'll generate a new one.

I tried that a couple of days ago, the game wouldn't start, so I did the Steam "check integrity" and it came back.

Anyway, I'm losing positional tracking after a couple of minutes of playing, every time.. anyone else experiencing this? I'm not sure how to fix it.

The scale is off, it feels like this

Catherine-Keener-and-John-007.jpg

I guess it's some IPD issue? It's still amazing though. The day I can play games like this in VR without the quirks is the day I drop out of society and become a hermit.

Catherine-Keener-and-John-007.jpg

I guess it's some IPD issue? It's still amazing though. The day I can play games like this in VR without the quirks is the day I drop out of society and become a hermit.

I just played the first hour and a half and it feels a bit that way for me. NPC characters have a similar height to mine, but still look small. Playing sitting down probably messes with the perception a bit.

Notes from 90 minutes of play:
  • Head bob on the camera didn't bother me at all, neither did most of the automatic camera movements (saving, entering ducts), mostly because you retain full look control.
  • I get some judder in wide / dense areas (low-end i7, 970gtx) but its mostly smooth and playable
  • The lighting in this game is fantastic, and duct crawling amazing!
  • Haven't gotten full-on-alien yet... but even "nothing happening" rooms with the music rising and lights flickering are getting me jumpy. We'll see how this goes :)
  • There is one wall pipe texture that doesn't work with the stereo mode. I assume its a shader thing. Reflections are turned off, but in a few corridors these pipes are on both sides of the wall and its a bit painful. Some UI elements are too close to the camera / doubled, but again, playable.

Also - the re-centering is super sensitive. Tilt my head ever-so-slightly left or right and the whole station feels slanted.

All in all - had a great first hour and can't wait to play more. I was initially deterred from getting the game due to the length, but VR support won me over!

I've yet to play Isolation in VR (DK2 order literally just switched to processing), but that's how the game feels for me already. The ceilings in most areas are incredibly low.

Krejlooc

Banned
I was demoing this yesterday to a friend and I loaded up a save. I had just progressed past a point of being stalked by the alien and saved in a new room, so I decided to go back to where I had left the alien to give him an opportunity to experience it.

So I'm running around this area, making as much noise as possible, not being stealthy at all, feeling generally safe as I'm walking to the door when I hear "THUD THUD THUD" behind me. I'm standing up IRL while doing this so I can hand the headset off to my friend sitting next to me when ready. So I look up and over and the alien is charging at me full sprint.

I nearly toppled over, that shit shocked the hell out of me haha.

-Deimos

I was demoing this yesterday to a friend and I loaded up a save. I had just progressed past a point of being stalked by the alien and saved in a new room, so I decided to go back to where I had left the alien to give him an opportunity to experience it.

So I'm running around this area, making as much noise as possible, not being stealthy at all, feeling generally safe as I'm walking to the door when I hear "THUD THUD THUD" behind me. I'm standing up IRL while doing this so I can hand the headset off to my friend sitting next to me when ready. So I look up and over and the alien is charging at me full sprint.

I nearly toppled over, that shit shocked the hell out of me haha.
I really need to try a Rift somehow.

Krejlooc

Banned
I am about to demo this to a lawyer who shares my father's office. He's tried a bunch of VR demos whenever I bring my machine up and he's generally interested. That said, I'm not going to tell him what I'm about to show him, lol. I'll be filming for reaction.

Krejlooc, have you played many games this year? The reason i ask is... if we introduce the VR variable into consideration, could Alien Isolation be considered the most impressive game this year?

Don't know if you'll read this but i would like to hear your opinion.

The game from what little i' ve seen could be considered one of the most faithful games to a movie, not just faithful but it actually enrichs the source material.

bj00rn_

Banned
Does anyone else experience problems starting the game in VR after installing newest Nvidia drivers..? It just throws me back to the desktop now..

Conezays

Game seems to crash after the title screen everytime when trying to run Oculus. I've read you can try unplugging the camera, but that partially defeats the point of me trying to play it in VR.

Edit: Got it working with VR Game manager and setting options to Windowed Borderless ingame.

Holy shit.

Faith

Is the rift support better now? Tried it out back then after the release and scale was off. Should I give it a try again?

Is the rift support better now? Tried it out back then after the release and scale was off. Should I give it a try again?

I'd like to know how to fix the scale too. I've been playing around with Skyrim in Vireio and there's a setting to adjust the world scale, which I think is IPD related. It initially looked a bit "off", like A:I, but I fixed it somewhat. Really wish Alien was tweakable like that.

epmode

GAF, I could use some help getting this working I'm in Windows 8.1 with the latest Rift runtime and firmware. If I do exactly what's in the OP, I don't get any results at all. It's like the game doesn't know my Rift is there.

If I remove this line;
<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>
and try again, I actually see the Rift view on my primary monitor and it responds to motion on the headset... but there's a yellow light on the Rift and nothing displays.

I read about people getting extended mode to work but the best I can manage is to get the game displaying on its side in the Rift. I don't know exactly which settings I should change to fix it.

Should I bother changing the fullscreen/windowed/borderless settings in the game itself? Which Windows resolution/orientation settings should I change before launching the game?

My Rift is currently comfigured as a secondary monitor. I suppose that's correct but I'd appreciate some pointers.

edit: Got it displaying properly by switching the game to borderless windowed, the Rift to extended mode and using Windows to switch the Rift Landscape (flipped).

Tons of judder, though.

edit: Got rid of the judder by reducing the Rift to 60Hz but there's a stutter when turning from side to side. Yeesh, this is frustrating. It's so close to perfect.

epmode

FOR POSTERITY, this is what I did to get the game working with no judder at 75Hz. I'm running Windows 8.1 with the latest Rift runtime and firmware as of 12/22/14.

• Set the game to Borderless Windowed and make sure vsync is enabled
  • Edit the config file so that it reads this:

<Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/>
    <!-- <Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/> -->
    </Setting>

• Set the Rift to Extended with the Configuration Utility
  • Change Windows resolution settings on the Rift so that it's running in Landscape (flipped). Also check the box so that it is your primary monitor (I had to do this to get rid of the judder)
  • You may want to pause the Rift service before launching the game but this is unnecessary for me
  • Launch the game.
  • Since you changed the primary monitor, the game will be displaying on your real monitor now, not the Rift. To switch the signal to your Rift, hold the Windows and Shift keys and press the right arrow key (you may need to use the left arrow key instead)
  • If you paused the Rift service earlier, unpause it now
  • ENJOY AN ALMOST PERFECT JUDDER-FREE LOW PERSISTENCE ALIEN ISOLATION WITH FULL HEAD TRACKING
  • Make sure you set your original monitor back to primary when you're finished

As for the Rift support, there are glitches I'd like to see addressed, like the way you can't read log entries without closing one of your eyes and the way the camera clips through objects when camera control is removed from the player. ..but when it works, holy shit. VR is going to be huge.

*If you want to set the game back to regular 2D, change the config file to

<!-- <Quality name="Rift" precedence="4"/> -->
<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>
</Setting>

Glassboy

Does anyone know have any idea if oculus has mentioned when it is aiming to release the consumer version. If it's longer than 4-6 months away, I would be tempted to get a dev kit 2 in the meantime especially to play this.

epmode

There are no dates yet. I think Oculus has a conference in the next month or two so we may hear something then.

I'm almost positive it'll take longer than 6 months, though. Oculus really has their work cut out for them.

Tain

Is the Oculus support solid enough that I won't be missing anything by playing exclusively in Rift mode? I just bought the game and am about to hop in.

Enk

makes good threads.
Is the Oculus support solid enough that I won't be missing anything by playing exclusively in Rift mode? I just bought the game and am about to hop in.

Much like everything else with the Dev Kit at the moment it really depends on your setup. I played about an hour of AI for the first time last night and didn't run into anything that I had to take off the rift for. Now unfortunately because this wasn't an official release of OR support it lacks some polish (some weird clipping issues from time to time).

Sadly on my end I can't get a steady 75fps even with the suggestion above, and my PC setup is fairly beefy too. The scale is also slightly off and the positional tracking seems a little warped too. Even with those last two things still there, if I could just get it running smoother I know it could be a top tier rift experience.

epmode

Well, you'll be missing a polished game. Rift support is pretty barebones and causes quite a few minor to major glitches*. FMV doesn't work too well either. I'm not sure how common video is after the intro, though.

It's still really, really awesome.

I hope Creative Assembly goes back to patch in official support when the consumer model launches.

*My favorite was when UI elements detached themselves from my face and just floated around in the game world. My health bar stayed in the cryosleep room while I went to get changed.

epmode

So this was working perfectly yesterday. Today, the view inside the game is permanently tilted and it's way off center. My settings are exactly the same. Recentering the view with the two bumpers just resets it to the same terrible angle. My Rift is working fine in other demos so I'm not sure what's up with Alien.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom