• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modders re-enable native Oculus Rift support in Aliens Isolation

I have uploaded the first hour from Alien: Isolation played on the DK2 and include a video at the 59:25 mark on how to set everything up (though the instructions in the OP should be enough). I had no issues with the "<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>" line like some people in this thread have.

Anyway, I am playing with a GTX 660 and Intel Core i7 3770 and it runs great. I only did a cursory glance at the video options and didn't adjust anything. It runs smooth and I haven't experienced any motion sickness. I am very impressed with how easy everything was to set up and how well it works. Besides some issues with the HUD and not always being able to read instructions or controls well, I haven't really had any problems. Of course, I am still early in the game and may have more trouble once things ramp up. I plan on recording as much of the game as I can, which may not be much if I end up getting too scared. :p

One issue that I encountered that doesn't show up in the video is the feeling that my view was slightly tilted. I fixed this by tilting my head just a little bit to the right and hitting both of the bumpers on the 360 controllers to reset my view. I'll have to look more into this, but it may have been based on my position when the game started up, or perhaps I need to tighten the straps on my DK2 a bit.

Faith

I have uploaded the first hour from Alien: Isolation played on the DK2 and include a video at the 59:25 mark on how to set everything up (though the instructions in the OP should be enough). I had no issues with the "<Quality name="Off" precedence="4"/>" line like some people in this thread have.

Anyway, I am playing with a GTX 660 and Intel Core i7 3770 and it runs great. I only did a cursory glance at the video options and didn't adjust anything. It runs smooth and I haven't experienced any motion sickness. I am very impressed with how easy everything was to set up and how well it works. Besides some issues with the HUD and not always being able to read instructions or controls well, I haven't really had any problems. Of course, I am still early in the game and may have more trouble once things ramp up. I plan on recording as much of the game as I can, which may not be much if I end up getting too scared. :p

One issue that I encountered that doesn't show up in the video is the feeling that my view was slightly tilted. I fixed this by tilting my head just a little bit to the right and hitting both of the bumpers on the 360 controllers to reset my view. I'll have to look more into this, but it may have been based on my position when the game started up, or perhaps I need to tighten the straps on my DK2 a bit.
Thanks for the upload!

Noticed that too. Is it ok when you start the game? Should you even reset the view?

This is intoxicating, walking around the NostromoTorrens in Virtual Reality. Hard to believe I'm even doing this. I just wish it was higher res, I feel like I'm missing out on that. But the immersion more than makes up for the loss of IQ. It's just amazing, when I approached the window with a view of that planet, I lost a bit of breath.

My only real issue is that I go all crosseyed when I try to read text from a terminal. Anybody getting that?

This is intoxicating, walking around the Nostromo in Virtual Reality. Hard to believe I'm even doing this. I just wish it was higher res, I feel like I'm missing out on that. But the immersion more than makes up for the loss of IQ. It's just amazing, when I approached the window with a view of that planet, I lost a bit of breath.

My only real issue is that I go all crosseyed when I try to read text from a terminal. Anybody getting that?

I'm not sure if you can, but try to downsample if possible. It helps a lot with the resolution.

Tankshell

This is intoxicating, walking around the Nostromo in Virtual Reality. Hard to believe I'm even doing this. I just wish it was higher res, I feel like I'm missing out on that. But the immersion more than makes up for the loss of IQ. It's just amazing, when I approached the window with a view of that planet, I lost a bit of breath.

Pull your head back

All text entries are stored in your log once you have accessed them from the terminal (Back button on 360 pad), and can be read there much easier I find.

You can't pull your head back I have noticed in this game, you can lean forward and side to side, but not back, which is weird!

All text entries are stored in your log once you have accessed them from the terminal (Back button on 360 pad), and can be read there much easier I find.

You can't pull your head back I have noticed in this game, you can lean forward and side to side, but not back, which is weird!

That's what's happening to me, leaning forward and back does nothing. I can lean around corners though. I've been closing one eye to read the terminals.

edit- leaning forward and back does something, but it's definitely a bit off. I have to lean quite a bit before it registers. And it doesn't always register.

stufte

That's odd, because I can pull my head back to look at the motion tracker (since it's impossible to see otherwise).

brainpann

I have a geforce 660 and it runs great in oculus mode when i drop the shadows to medium. It runs better than elite dangerous for me thus far, which is also playable. Was a little worried my card wouldn't do so great but i dont regret the purchase one bit.

Glad to heard the 660 works fine. Are you using DK1 or DK2?

Krejlooc

Banned

Maybe it's your camera position, I can pull my head back but my camera is above me and about 10' away.

Tankshell

Maybe it's your camera position, I can pull my head back but my camera is above me and about 10' away.

I don't think so, the camera position works fine in all other games. Are you sure its not because you have started the game without re-centering your camera (LB+RB on 360 pad) ?

An easy way to tell is to look down at the floor, if your camera is correctly positioned, you should see your body and feet :) It not, then you are probably offset infront of your characters body, thus why it is allowing you to also pull your head back.

Jerald_B

Neo Member
So you can enable rift, so that means the engine is capable of rendering two offset scenes... Anybody know if you can make 3D work??? I have NVIDIA 3D Vision 2, and would absolutely love to use this. Someone on reddit mentioned that using compatibility mode (Crtl+Alt+F11) will help, but I'd like some more input before taking out my HDMI Cable I have routed and switching back to DVI...

Thanks.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't think so, the camera position works fine in all other games. Are you sure its not because you have started the game without re-centering your camera (LB+RB on 360 pad) ?

An easy way to tell is to look down at the floor, if your camera is correctly positioned, you should see your body and feet :) It not, then you are probably offset infront of your characters body, thus why it is allowing you to also pull your head back.

I recenter the camera constantly

you must be a developer according to Krejlooc

Lol. No, I wish. Whilst I'm sure he has a point and a lot of people should heed his advice, I've messed around with pc shit for many years and overcome many tech issues and I'm sure the Rift would be no different.

As long as you go in aware that it is a prototype (basically), not a consumer product, it's configuration issues should be nothing Google searches, Youtube tutorials and a lot of spare time can't solve.

If you expect to load up a game, wack on a Rift and play instantly and for hours, then you probably should wait for the consumer version.

I just finished setting up the HyperSpin frontend for an arcade cabinet, so right now I feel like I'm capable of ANYTHING lol. Although I've got this weird twitch now...

Thanks for the upload!

Noticed that too. Is it ok when you start the game? Should you even reset the view?

No, it was tilted for several minutes during gameplay at the beginning until I tilted my head and reset my view to offset it. A person will probably be resetting their view a lot, at least when first playing the game. After a little while I seemed to forget about it.

chris121580

Wow, I was going to pass on this game but now knowing it supports the Rift with that workaround I'm downloading it right now. Thanks for the heads up!

Wow, I was going to pass on this game but now knowing it supports the Rift with that workaround I'm downloading it right now. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed so long as they know the game isn't like... perfect with the rift. It's excellent, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot of weirdness with how your body has been rigged, because it hasn't been rigged for positional tracking at all. If you lower your head while stood up in the game, your feet clip through the floor, for example.

Anyways, time to stop playing the DLC in VR (which is awesome) and time to get on with the single player.

spannicus

Bad ass Video. Im jealous hehe. Thats too awesome.

chris121580

I'm having a problem. I can get the game to run with 2 screens on my monitor but nothing is displaying inside the rift. I have the DK2. Any suggestions? Do I need to change any specific settings with my monitor under screen resolution?

edit: Nevermind, got it. Had to change monitor to horizontal. This is absolutely fucking incredible

wickfut

Banned
This is absolutely fucking incredible

Yeah, agreed. It's up there with Elite and LFS as the best things to play on the DK2.

What bothers me is that the devs must have knew that this game was amazing in the rift and yet someone somewhere made a decision to hide it??

A few quick things... this setting changes certain graphics settings in game. Sets aniso to x 2 or something low, disables FOV, disables motion blur, disables volumetric lights, disables reflections, sets shadow resolution to 512. You can manually change these without problem, but the settings it over rides will be over ridden every time you load the game. Just a heads up there.

Some of these can be safely changed. Aniso and Volumetric lights seem fine (there are a few slight separation issues with ambient occlusion, but nothing horrendous, I've been leaving it on but if it distracts you, you might want to turn it off). Motion blur and fov you definitely want to leave disabled, because they work against VR. Leave the reflections off though, they tweak the fuck out as you move your head around and do not show up in the right places. Oh, also I'd disable chromatic aberration also. No sense having the game do it, when the lenses in the rift give you the effect for free.

I still haven't properly met up with the alien (gosh, the game really takes a long time to get you there). I just got the hacking tool thing, but so far so excellent. Again, it's not what the game would have been had it been designed for VR, but it works far better than any hacked in support I've yet tried, and I'd put it at least on par with the source code ports (Doom 3, Quake, Quake 2 et al). Probably a notch below Half Life 2's implementation, but only just.

When they first showed this off in VR I was hugely excited and was very disappointed when they revealed it wasn't happening for the full game. What we have here is well beyond anything I thought we'd get after the reports about VR not being in the retail release... and here I am playing it in almost perfect VR just a couple of days after it dropped.

Amazing stuff. The implementation of pre rendered cutscenes is pretty good, and I'm really happy there's a mapping to recenter because it does seem to be a little off by default.

Probably the best VR experience yet on account of it being a brand new game (which is a real looker) and something that already dripped atmosphere. I love that leaning becomes something you have to physically do. Hopefully they aren't finished tweaking the VR support, but I'll gladly take what we have.

epmode

Yeah, agreed. It's up there with Elite and LFS as the best things to play on the DK2.

What bothers me is that the devs must have knew that this game was amazing in the rift and yet someone somewhere made a decision to hide it??

This is a popular franchise so I'd imagine that that many people seeing in-game VR options would want to know where they can buy a Rift only to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is updated for full support when the consumer Rift is finally released.

chris121580

So after about 30-45 min, I started feeling pretty woozy. I guess I'm still working on getting my VR legs under me. Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that when you look at the cut scenes, it's like you're watching them on a huge movie screen. Really cool

So after about 30-45 min, I started feeling pretty woozy. I guess I'm still working on getting my VR legs under me. Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that when you look at the cut scenes, it's like you're watching them on a huge movie screen. Really cool

I didn't explain it, but I mentioned that I liked the implementation of pre rendered cutscenes.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
How good are the DK2's screens? Clear? Crystal clear? How much of your vision is filled? Fully right to the reaches of your peripheral? I'm guessing if you move your eye as far as you can in a direction you'll see the edges of the screen. Is this the case? What resolution is the game running in? Is it mandatory to run at that resolution?

It's literally a Galaxy Note 3 screen.

ifixit-teardown-oculus-rift-dk2-540x334.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
A fantastic implementation, a great VR demo.

Definitely some interface problems, though.

Mainly, they disabled "lean" and you have to lean manually. Which in practice sounds great, but after having to stand/squat off your chair for the 10th time to look over a box it becomes extremely uncomfortable. This is what made me stop playing. I'm also in great shape, it's just a very uncomfortable motion to have to repeat with such frequency. Also, after doing a bit of leaning, the "neutral" head position gets stuck in a leaning diagonal. You pretty much have to constantly press the two shoulder buttons to reset head position.

Also, the motion tracker should be placed slightly closer to the center of your FOV.

Other than that, very impressed. Runs really well too.

Jackpot

Banned
Screw Sega. This is as bad as Ubisoft's WatchDogs shenanigans, if not worse as this is a key part of how you experience the game vs some superficial graphics options.

Krejlooc

Banned
I cant express enough how great this game is in vr. When you're being hunted by the alien, the mechanics of the game melt away and suddenly you are there in this world. It hits home when you find yourself craning your head all around in a locker to peak at the alien.

So great.

Top Bottom