• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

Frostburn

I'm excited about this being available and scalable like it is. I really hope next gen consoles can push something similar to this without screen tearing and FPS drops.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
n0b said:
Extremely efficient but still amazing looking assets are infinitely more impressive to me than ridiculously wasteful tech demo assets. Besides that, the lighting in Battlefield still outclasses this by a ridiculous amount (and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't dynamic like BF3's is) and in terms of actual engine effects the only thing that this has above BF3 is the Bokeh.

Fanboy war nonsense.

Middleware solution. Middleware solution. Not flagship internal EA engine. Middleware solution. A great many studios will be able to leverage this technology for their games, technology they would not be using otherwise.

As for being "wasteful," advanced effects are tools for making good looking games. It is possible to make a good looking game without them, but that does not make the advanced effects irrelevant. Hardware technology will continue to move forward, and that additional power will need to be put to use.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What people don't understand is how much is possible with current tech, but isn't being done because having a team that knows how to design a game to make it fun AND in a way that makes the tech shine is really fucking rare.

FoxSpirit

metareferential said:
They'll look like current pc-games; and pc-games will end up - with a good amount of patience, money, mods and whatever - looking just like that.

It's a win-win situation xD

No, it's not.
Unless you are talking Metro level of quality, anything less won't really get people to upgrade.

Remember Joe average still gobbles up console games with sub-HD resolutions, to get him to upgrade you have to really blow him away. And a game looking like this would.

Graphics sensitive people are currently on PC and I think it's a fine place to be. Consoles have to tread more careful, a bad adoption rate of a new system would lead to a terribly fragmented market and actually hold back tech a lot.

And yeah, stuff like Gears of War 3 or Uncharted 3 actually looks nice, even with their 720p resolution. So I see no hurry to upgrade this gen just yet.

n0b said:
Extremely efficient but still amazing looking assets are infinitely more impressive to me than ridiculously wasteful tech demo assets. Besides that, the lighting in Battlefield still outclasses this by a ridiculous amount (and I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't dynamic like BF3's is) and in terms of actual engine effects the only thing that this has above BF3 is the Bokeh.

Good art design? Sure. But this is pretty much a Bokeh DOF on a wasteful amount of polygons.

I would bet that those assets in Frostbite 2 would be even more impressive, and that without the Bokeh and the Tesselation on the character that Unreal demo wouldn't even be all that impressive anyway.

Battlefield 3 looks amazing but it's not even close to this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'd have been more interested in seeing what they could do with a single 580 and a 2500k.

FoxSpirit said:
No, it's not.
Unless you are talking Metro level of quality, anything less won't really get people to upgrade.

Remember Joe average still gobbles up console games with sub-HD resolutions, to get him to upgrade you have to really blow him away. And a game looking like this would.

Graphics sensitive people are currently on PC and I think it's a fine place to be. Consoles have to tread more careful, a bad adoption rate of a new system would lead to a terribly fragmented market and actually hold back tech a lot.

And yeah, stuff like Gears of War 3 or Uncharted 3 actually looks nice, even with their 720p resolution. So I see no hurry to upgrade this gen just yet.

Upgrading "just yet" is impossible. If new hardware was bound to be released - say - next year, we would have known everything about it by now.

Or at least rumours would have been circulating.

Average Joe upgrades when the games he wants are on another system. There's nothing more than that.

Of course the new tech serves as sales incentive; but if the new Call of Duty comes out tomorrow on a new system, they'll bight.

We're already 5-6 years of technology away from console standards. The leap new hardware will allow is going to be huge, and the more they wait, the bigger the gap will be.

And these middleware will help transitioning. Of course games won't look like that, meaning the de facto standard will be lower.

But every generation has its Crysis, Metro, Uncharted, *insert impressive looking title here*.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Ether_Snake said:
What people don't understand is how much is possible with current tech, but isn't being done because having a team that knows how to design a game to make it fun AND in a way that makes the tech shine is really fucking rare.

Naughty Dog says hi...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I know GAF is on a BF3 high right now, but this looks way, way better than BF3 technically. That CG face is close to pre-rendered (the quality of the SSS is very nice), and it's nice to finally see proper blurry reflections. The image quality is fantastic as well. I would really like to see this in motion to fully appreciate how good it looks.

But you guys are insane if you don't think this is a huge step up technically.

Ether_Snake said:

I got 14 years of professional experience (16+ if you count my school years) as a technical 3D artist in games and movies and I can tell you that what you said is not true. Games like Uncharted 2-3, God of War 3, Gears of War 3 and Heavy Rain are pushing the limits of what can be done today. These new images is not even CLOSE to being possible on current generation hardware no matter how much the manpower.

It's sad to see that you guys don't fully appreciate what you are seeing.

Also, while the screens below are definitely indicative of what the demo looked like, they don’t do the fluidity of movement, animation, and physics justice at all. Again, this looked like a highly choreographed CG movie, but in reality, many of those things were being calculated by robust physics engines. The Epic staffers running the demo then proved that to us, replaying the demo and detaching the camera, zooming in and out, and showing us how things looked with physics turned on and off.

Man I wish we could see a video of this

Thunderbear said:
I know GAF is on a BF3 high right now, but this looks way, way better than BF3 technically. That CG face is close to pre-rendered (the quality of the SSS is very nice), and it's nice to finally see proper blurry reflections. The image quality is fantastic as well. I would really like to see this in motion to fully appreciate how good it looks.

But you guys are insane if you don't think this is a huge step up technically.

Of course it is superior.

But we don't know what the Frostbite 2 engine is capable of given no restrictions. This demo can drain all the resources needed, since no one is going be play it.

The gameplay demo of BF3 should be running on a normal, albeit high-end, rig.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
EviLore said:
Quite impressive that they're running it in realtime on current hardware. 3x GTX 580 will be 1x something soon enough.
It is still a controlled tech demo. I remember Nvidia having amazing tech demos for the GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 with graphics that didn't happen in gameplay until the 8800 came around. Also, ATI with their Ruby demo for the 4xxx series hasn't happened yet.

I am just incredibly pessimistic about whatever I see in tech demos because I always keep myself in the high end and the promises seldom become reality.

Chris_C

Thunderbear said:
It's sad to see that you guys don't fully appreciate what you are seeing.

This. A thousand times.

I can't fathom how people can say assets or effects in current games are anywhere close to what was shown in the demo, and the comments about BF3's lighting being superior are just downright laughable.

metareferential said:
The gameplay demo of BF3 should be running on a normal, albeit high-end, rig.

The fact remains that there are quite a few people in this thread who are saying BF3's gameplay demo was superior. It wasn't, that isn't a slight against BF3, which looks amazing, it's a simple fact.

Chris_C said:
The fact remains that there are quite a few people in this thread who are saying BF3's gameplay demo was superior. It wasn't, that isn't a slight against BF3, which looks amazing, it's a simple fact.

Neogaf is home of the video game graphics cognitive dissonance disorder, after all.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Chris_C said:
This. A thousand times.

I can't fathom how people can say assets or effects in current games are anywhere close to what was shown in the demo, and the comments about BF3's lighting being superior are just downright laughable.

Opinions aren't the same as facts.

n0b

EviLore said:
Fanboy war nonsense.

Yay a bunch of people attacking me! Fanboy nonsense? Wonderful.

Any good current generation engine could result in a scene this good looking if given triple 580s as their target hardware.

EviLore said:
Middleware solution. Middleware solution. Not flagship internal EA engine. Middleware solution. A great many studios will be able to leverage this technology for their games, technology they would not be using otherwise.

This demo doesn't show anything new that can be leveraged by studios because no studio has the luxury of making games only for the highest available hardware spec. I'm not saying that UE3 as middleware needs to be comparable to internal engine tech of some of the best engine developers in the world. I'm just saying in terms of game technology I am more impressed by technology that finds a way to bend hardware into running something higher fidelity than a tech demo that brute forces a massive amount of hardware for the majority of its improvements.

EviLore said:
As for being "wasteful," advanced effects are tools for making good looking games. It is possible to make a good looking game without them, but that does not make the advanced effects irrelevant. Hardware technology will continue to move forward, and that additional power will need to be put to use.

Is it that hard for you people to believe I am not that impressed by the tech? The majority of the tech isn't wasteful. It has nice DOF, nice reflections. I'm sure games will make good use of those effects and they are a good addition to the toolset. What is wasteful and advanced is a polygon budget that is probably more than most entire levels, if not entire current gen games, for a single scene.

All I see in this demo is a case of some good artists getting their dream asset budget. If I want to just see good artists I can go browse CGTalk. Is it better looking than Battlefield 3? Sure. Is it more impressive? I don't think so.

The reason I'm more impressed by BF3 is because it showcases a massive leap in visual quality in a demo of a game that is actually going to be running on gamer's PCs, and the new technology (lighting especially) in their engine provides an outstanding boost in fidelity when its cost is taken into consideration.

But yeah whatever I'm stupid and I'm hating on one of the best engine developers by saying they made something pretty but unachievable as a game because I am obviously a fanboy for a company that I have only ever bought two titles from and think the better of the two in terms of graphical fidelity is running on the former company's engine.

Gaogaogao

this just reminds me of other "realtime demos" that never turned into actual games, its really sad. Im better off ignoring them.

thats why bf3 is more impressive, im going to play it.

Chris_C

n0b said:
The reason I'm more impressed by BF3 is because it showcases a massive leap in visual quality in a demo of a game that is actually going to be running on gamer's PCs, and the new technology (lighting especially) in their engine provides an outstanding boost in fidelity when its cost is taken into consideration.

Saying you're more impressed by the BF3 demo is all well and good, but the people stating that it's actually technically superior are just plain wrong.

Gaogaogao said:
this just reminds me of other "realtime demos" that never turned into actual games, its really sad. Im better off ignoring them.

thats why bf3 is more impressive, im going to play it.

You're using air quotes wrong. This demo is in fact real time, it just doesn't run game logic.

SapientWolf said:
Opinions aren't the same as facts.

It's a fact that the polygon complexity of the character model in this UE3 demo is far beyond any of those seen in the BF3 demo.

It's a fact that the texture maps on the character model are much higher than those seen in the BF3 demo.

It's a fact that the SSS precision seen in this demo is of...

you know... whatever. There's little point to this.

MjFrancis

You've got to have some scratched-up contact lens of the wrong prescription on bloodshot eyes with no sleep in two days not to see these screenshots are pretty damn good looking.

Blizzard

Banned
I think n0b is kinda saying that this mostly looks good because they had superpowerful graphics cards and very high poly models etc., and actual games will have neither. I think n0b is also saying that he is impressed when games can look great with limited technology rather than requiring advanced technology.

I think the biggest issue besides hardware required to run stuff like this is that as far as I know, creating the models, textures, effects, and levels are very work-intensive for this sort of thing. I am trying to learn how to do relatively simple things with the UDK, and it feels like half the stuff I try to do is impossible or hasn't been done before, and my forum questions go unanswered. If I were a rich dev I would presumably have official Epic support instead, but making all the resources (especially high-poly ones etc. while still trying to focus on good performance) is still a huge amount of work, I imagine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
I think n0b is also saying that he is impressed when games can look great with limited technology rather than requiring advanced technology.
Yeah, I think the new Zelda looks better than this. Limited tech right?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cris_C is right, everyone else is wrong.

Yes battlefield 3 looks amazing.

No it is not even technically on the same level as this demo.

iavi

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, I think the new Zelda looks better than this. Limited tech right?

Yeah... You're not getting it. You can make a great looking game that forces everybody to upgrade theirs, and their grandmothers, rigs. Or you can work within a constraint that not only allows everybody to participate in the end results, but have a comparable viewing experience while doing it. This exact thing is one of the reasons I find Crysis 2 to be infinitely more impressive than its predecessor. One of the reasons many find Naughty Dog so impressive.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It's not even worth explaining then.
Stallion Free said:
Your explanation is so helpful. :p

I was trying to explain what I think n0b was saying. I think he meant that personally, he prefers things that are realistically huge improvements on current technology without requiring brute force engine power, especially when they are actual videogames rather than tech demos. He is not saying that the scene or effects are not technically impressive. He is saying that in terms of game engines, perhaps, the other scenes impressed him more since they did not require three GPUs. Or something like that. He himself summarizes:

n0b said:
All I see in this demo is a case of some good artists getting their dream asset budget. If I want to just see good artists I can go browse CGTalk. Is it better looking than Battlefield 3? Sure. Is it more impressive? I don't think so.

If I were to take your Zelda example seriously (which seems like a bit of a silly straw man), then I would say that it does not apply to n0b's comments since Zelda does not appear to be a massive improvement in visual fidelity compared to things that came before. If it WERE a massive improvement in visual fidelity, then compared to other Wii games and engines, n0b might be impressed given his logic expressed above. Make sense?

Furthermore, BF3 looks good -- very good even. Would you agree? Thus, the comparison of "very good game to extremely good yet unrealistic tech demo" is different than your apparent joking comparison of "(very good game/unrealistic tech demo) to game with presumably obvious less visual fidelity".

Miri said:
One of the reasons many find Naughty Dog so impressive.
Exactly. They have limited console capabilities, and yet their work looks pretty darn good, and presumably even better in the upcoming sequel.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Miri said:
Yeah... You're not getting it. You can make a great looking game that forces everybody to upgrade theirs, and their grandmothers, rigs. Or you can work within a constraint that not only allows everybody to participate in the end results, but have a comparable viewing experience while doing it. This exact thing is one of the reasons I find Crysis 2 to be infinitely more impressive than its predecessor. One of the reasons many find Naughty Dog so impressive.
A.) It was sarcasm
B.) There are many aspects about BF3 that aren't comparable to what is shown here. Particularly the hair/face/depth of field. It all depends on where you want to move those goal posts for comparable viewing experience though.

iavi

Stallion Free said:
A.) It was sarcasm
B.) There are many aspects about BF3 that aren't comparable to what is shown here. Particularly the hair/face/depth of field. It all depends on where you want to move those goal posts for comparable viewing experience though.

A. Sarcasm so rarely translates through text.
B. I don't agree with his BF3 comparisons, guess I should have clarified. This looks leagues better, but we won't actually see this for what will feel like ages. BF3 is possible now.

Blizzard

Banned
Miri said:
A. Sarcasm so rarely translates through text.
B. I don't agree with his BF3 comparisons, guess I should have clarified. This looks leagues better, but we won't actually see this for what will feel like ages. BF3 is possible now.
Speaking of not seeing things for ages, I was reminded of the Blade Runner shot(s) some people did in the old Cryengine for a contest.

blade-runner-cryenginevaig.jpg

It's too bad it was never downloadable for anyone to look at as far as I know. Presumably it was just a small area, with a totally unplayable framerate, though. I also imagine the people involved might have been afraid someone would take their assets and techniques, perhaps like the person who was making a big fantasy castle scene (also in Cryengine?). I don't think they were going to release their map either.

iavi

Blizzard said:
*Big Pic*

This was the first thing that came to mind for me too. I had totally forgotten what this was about though. Real disappointed that nothing became of this.

Blizzard

Banned
Miri said:
This was the first thing that came to mind for me too. I had totally forgotten what this was about though. Real disappointed that nothing became of this.
I even went hunting for a bit again today, only to find that yeah, nothing ever came out besides those shots. I'd love to be wrong though. :(

After seeing these, I'm sold; bring on the next generation of consoles (but ONLY if the next XBOX is backwards compatible).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
n0b said:
Any good current generation engine could result in a scene this good looking if given triple 580s as their target hardware.

No, engines do not magically scale to any level of hardware power and that is the entire point of this technology update: to allow UE3 to utilize modern hardware by adding support for new effects to the engine.

This demo doesn't show anything new that can be leveraged by studios because no studio has the luxury of making games only for the highest available hardware spec.

Using all of the effects shown off in the tech demo together requires a triple SLI 580 machine. However, all of the effects can be used separately by developers. Any UE3 game in development and coming out for PC can now take advantage of tessellation, or higher quality shadows, or whatever else added in the engine update. Tessellation, for example, we see in custom in-house engines like with Dirt 2, AVP, and Metro 2033. Now we'll likely see it with many higher profile UE3 games too, since it'll be another tool in the toolbox.

You are in effect slamming Epic for adding new tools to UE3 instead of being more like DICE and doing "more with less," when the objectives are entirely different between the two parties. BF3 is a game designed to take advantage of 2011 DX11 hardware in order to do cool stuff in the military shooter genre. This UE3 update is not designed for a specific hardware target or a specific game, it is designed to better serve a wide range of game developers' individual, differing needs in utilizing video game hardware, and to aid in the transition between this console generation and the next.

poisonelf

Really, how does a thread offering views on a tech demo about the future generation of games turns into fighting over whether it's useless, or current gen games are more worthy, or whatever other irrelevant thought?

Did anyone claim it's a trailer for a game to be released on the Wii?

It's beautiful, it's technically years ahead of current games (obviously...), it's based on high-end but realistic technology that I hope soon may be the norm, it's in real-time, and it's a tech demo... It's not to be compared with current games and their "accomplishments within limited hardware."

I mean what the...

iavi

poisonelf said:
Really, how does a thread offering views on a tech demo about the future generation of games turns into fighting over whether it's useless, or current gen games are more worthy, or whatever other irrelevant thought?

Did anyone claim it's a trailer for a game to be released on the Wii?

It's beautiful, it's technically years ahead of current games (obviously...), it's based on high-end but realistic technology that I hope soon may be the norm, it's in real-time, and it's a tech demo... It's not to be compared with current games and their "accomplishments within limited hardware."

I mean what the...

The flow of conversation, it's not all that hard to understand, really.

poisonelf

Miri said:
The flow of conversation, it's not all that hard to understand, really.
Ok, perhaps I didn't word what I meant properly. It's not how the conversation lead to this as a process that baffled me, it's the irrationality of some views.

Top Bottom