• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 3 new tech demo: Samaritan

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DieH@rd said:
In two years equivalent of one gtx580 will cost 150-200$. At that time one 500$ card will get insane processing power.

2 years isn't "now", though. Noise was taking issue with Rein making it seem as though 3-way SLI is a rather common configuration.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
well, I have 2 GTX 580s so I'm ready to go.let's do this Epic.

And two isn't three. :p

Arcipello

Nirolak said:
Yeah. Their job postings seem to imply that they're doing the same thing again for the sequel, but with Frostbite 2 for the multiplayer.

Depending on what still exists of the original though, they can still work these effects back in.

to be honest i think MOH should sit it out until the next wave of consoles... let Battlefield be the EA fps darling for now and stop trying to get into the lime light.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
“If the next game consoles can’t do this, well, Apple increased their iPad by nine times today,” Rein said.

Sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Rein, but its doubtful next gen consoles will be as powerful as the 3 cards you used to demo this. Also, good luck with Apple.

Why not, you know, go back to your PC roots? Where this technology is doable right now and into the future?

Nah, too easy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Arcipello said:
to be honest i think MOH should sit it out until the next wave of consoles... let Battlefield be the EA fps darling for now and stop trying to get into the lime light.
Well, their current plan seems to be to have them alternate years.

JaseC said:
2 years isn't "now", though. Noise was taking issue with Rein making it seem as though 3-way SLI is a rather common configuration.

And two isn't three. :p

eh, I a have a kidney I can spare. plus I guess i can upgrade to an 8-core processor just to play it safe.....

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Kintaro said:
Why not, you know, go back to your PC roots? Where this technology is doable right now and into the future?

Nah, too easy.

Even as an avid PC gamer I think this would be extremely stupid move. PC alone can't support development costs of games with such high-end graphics. Sorry to burst your bubble.

and yeah, they'll have more luck with Apple or any kind of portable platform in five years. I game on PC mostly because of graphics (and tweaking) and other than that I don't need this giant piece of shit under my table (same goes with my PS3). If I had a choice of a mobile platform with power equal to my current PC I'd switch without a doubt.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
subversus said:
Even as an avid PC gamer I think this would be extremely stupid move. PC alone can't support development costs of games with such high-end graphics. Sorry to burst your bubble.

and yeah, they'll have more luck with Apple or any kind of portable platform in five years. I game on PC mostly because of graphics (and tweaking) and other than that I don't need this giant piece of shit under my table (same goes with my PS3). If I had a choice of a mobile platform with power equal to my current PC I'd switch without a doubt.

Did I say anything about PC only? No. However, they could stand to get their asses back on the PC development train and rebuild their fanbase. How about a new Unreal Tournament?

Portable platforms won't come close to graphics like this any time soon either. So...whatever.

Also, no avid PC gamer calls their rig a "giant piece of shit". =)

AlStrong

jaundicejuice said:
Looking at the topology of that model, I can't make sense of it. It's dense beyond all rhyme or reason. Is that point cloud data?

Tessellated until white in the face. Shocking.

Kintaro said:
Did I say anything about PC only? No. However, they could stand to get their asses back on the PC development train and rebuild their fanbase. How about a new Unreal Tournament?
I love UT more than most, but UT is dead and Epic killed it by messing up the simple formula that worked, OD'ing on vehicles and Giant, convoluted, non-sensical maps.

I spent countless hours on UT 99 and the PS2 UT. Been going down hill ever since.

subversus

Kintaro said:

Portable platforms won't come close to graphics like this any time soon either. So...whatever.

Also, no avid PC gamer calls their rig a "giant piece of shit". =)

well, yes, they could start making decent ports at least. There is money to be made on PC now, it's not 2007.

And I don't know how I can call a piece of metal which I need to mantain regularly - like clean out dust in the case, cleaning out OS. It's not that I hate it, but my IPad is a much more convenient device.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Develop said:
GDC11: Epic astounds with new tech demo
by Will Freeman

GDC11: Epic astounds with new tech demo

Unreal Engine 3 video strives to set the standard for future hardware platforms

Epic Games has used its private GDC press conference to demo a stunning Unreal Technology demo that Mark Rein described as 'a love letter to hardware manufacturers'.

The 'Samaritan' video, with debuted just moments ago to a select group of gathered press, demonstrated what is achievable using cutting-edge hardware, the features of the current iteration of UE3, and some of the DirectX 11 UE3 features due in March 2011.

Focusing on cinematic intense visual effects as opposed to the procedural flexibility demonstrated in Epic's previous tech videos, the highly impressive Samaritan movie showcased Unreal Engine 3's artist driven features, including image-based reflection and improved bloom, along with Direct X 11 features such as sub surface scattering and dynamic tessalation and displacement.

"The whole idea behind this is to tell hardware developers and tell game developers this is what you should prepare for down the road," said Epic vice president Mark Rein.

"There needs to be mass market devices that can do this before too long."

While the demo was made by only three artists, one rigger, and a number of mocap artists, it did run on three graphics cards. However, Rein stated: "We suspect that with a little bit of optimisation this could even run on a single Ti500 card"

Later Rein joked: "Tim Sweeney said that if we did version numbers for Unreal Engine this would be version 3.971."
Source: http://www.develop-online.net/news/37203/GDC11-Epic-unveils-new-tech-demo

I'm assuming they meant a single GTX 580 and not a GeForce 3 Ti 500. :p

What's Epic's track record with claims like that? Going from 3 to 1 doesn't sound like "a little bit" of optimisation, but it makes me want to get hype anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DeadRockstar said:
What's Epic's track record with claims like that? Going from 3 to 1 doesn't sound like "a little bit" of optimisation, but it makes me want to get hype anyway.
Well, Epic doesn't really have a track record on this, but optimization usually happens on that kind of scale.

There are PSN games made by SCEJ that run worse than Killzone 3 for example, and it's not unusual for games in development to run at around 5-10 fps in their early builds.

Zzoram

Hopefully 2013 PC games will look like this on the highest settings, even if there still aren't new consoles. They can just use lower quality assets for the console port, and record in-game PC cutscenes to use as their "CGI" on console.

Nirolak said:
Well, Epic doesn't really have a track record on this, but optimization usually happens on that kind of scale.

There are PSN games made by SCEJ that run worse than Killzone 3 for example, and it's not unusual for games in development to run at around 5-10 fps in their early builds.

Yeah that's a good point. They did mention the demo was created with little manpower, so if something using the engine went through a regular development process it could end up polished enough for what they claim. Officially excited.

subversus

godhandiscen said:
I doubt Mark Rein knows much about optimization.

I think he knows quite a lot about the engine because he sells it. But yeah, Mark Rein is Mark Rein, he is known for overhyping the product.

kevm3

We know the UE3 can do city/mountainous type of environments. I'd be much more impressed seeing an organic type of setting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
godhandiscen said:
I doubt Mark Rein knows much about optimization.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he's repeating what Tim Sweeney told him.

kevm3 said:
We know the UE3 can do city/mountainous type of environments. I'd be much more impressed seeing an organic type of setting.
That was last year's tech demo: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390111

11ce5uf.jpg

zl42gh.jpg

This is what I want as standard in three years when the next gen consoles release.

When this tech becomes mainstream - I will be upgrading my goddamn PC!

Also; I want this tech demo as a full retail game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Zzoram said:
Microsoft would never let that happen. They don't want a PC version of Gears 3 making the Xbox 360 look bad.
I'm hoping the give us like a trilogy pack of the games all on the same engine revision after the trilogy is complete so like it's all campaigns and all multiplayer maps with all the Gears 3 tweaks in all the games.

A man can dream right?

Stallion Free said:
I'm hoping the give us like a trilogy pack of the games all on the same engine revision after the trilogy is complete so like it's all campaigns and all multiplayer maps with all the Gears 3 tweaks in all the games.

A man can dream right?
That will be saved for Xbox720's SuperHD classics line.

Iztli

Stallion Free said:

A man can dream right?

Thats beautiful man :'(

I play Gears PC MP all the time so that's always on my mind...

Mohonky

With all these unbelievable tech demo's for new engines being shown, how far off can we expect new consoles? I'm starting to get to the point where I'm actually considering upgrading my PC's video card, but I prefer consoles for ease of use. Some of the new games being shown are obviously PC demo's, not consoles. Gap between the PC and consoles is starting to get pretty big, would like to see some new hardware on the horizon from Microsoft or Sony.

thuway

After all three Gears are out, I don't see why it wouldn't be impossible for Epic to release this via GFW with the options of including these improvements.

:-/

I wonder if PS4/Xbox 720 will incorporate specs as powerful as these. I'm hoping whenever next gen launches we get specs similar or better what these folks are suggesting.

I hope that 'breakthrough' in graphics is just around the bend...

WrikaWrek

Banned
Although the demo looks great, it doesn't need 3 GTX 580s....clearly.

Going by what we already have, a game made around a GTX 580 would easily look like that.

3 graphic cards for neon lights and a individual characters on screen?

Yeah, games won't look like that with this tech, but they will have features that come close.

Biggzy

Mohonky said:
With all these unbelievable tech demo's for new engines being shown, how far off can we expect new consoles? I'm starting to get to the point where I'm actually considering upgrading my PC's video card, but I prefer consoles for ease of use. Some of the new games being shown are obviously PC demo's, not consoles. Gap between the PC and consoles is starting to get pretty big, would like to see some new hardware on the horizon from Microsoft or Sony.

I am not the surprised the gap between the PC and the consoles is getting bigger. People seem to forget the 360 will be approaching its 6th birthday and the PS3 its 5th, usually we have new consoles by now but alas we don’t.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amazing looking, and you have to love Rein's comment about iPad, even though it's blatantly misleading with "9x better".

"If you don't improve, Apple will eventually dance on your grave"

I'm glad someone is trying to bully console manufacturers into getting some new hardware out.

Lord Error said:
Amazing looking, and you have to love Rein's comment about iPad, even though it's blatantly misleading with "9x better".

"If you don't improve, Apple will eventually dance on your grave"

I'm glad someone is trying to bully console manufacturers into getting some new hardware out.

Definitely.

Too bad that on a critical level the kind of games you see on an iphone or pad are completely irrelevant. So I don't think they'll be dancing on graves any time soon.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
Ah yes, that was the one I meant. It comes with the UDK and runs like 10-20 fps for me. ;___; It's so purty though. I should really look into how they did the rain and see if there's a way to do it cheaply at least.
And now that I think about it, I want to emphasize that. Last year, that GDC demo was shown, apparently. WITHIN A YEAR, probably within half a year actually, the technology, demo, map, assets, etc. were all available to everyone on the planet, for free. If the same thing happens by next year, and all the UDK people have the DX11 etc. upgrades, that's pretty sweet, even if it still doesn't run well by then.

Durante

szaromir said:
I can't believe Rein believes iPad2 will have GPU 9 times more powerful than iPad1.
It's not out of the question. The NGP supposedly releases this year and its GPU is 16+ times more powerful than iPad1.

Top Bottom