• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Most entertaining ESL so far. Hopefully they bring on someone who can give Smug a real challenge next week!

Hyun Sai

DP nerf is there to stay guys. There is a reason Guile went in with only EX Flashkick being a true reversal.

The motto is : spend bar if you want invincible stuff.

Matt Edwards has also just confirmed that Capcom will be spilling the full details of Season 2, the new characters, as well as the full schedule of Capcom Pro Tour 2017 over the course of February.

From Reddit, and the WSO stream.

I mean, it SHOULD be obvious, but since we haven't had a clue when the information is coming, it's nice to get some insurance.

AKA Haters Will Be Left Behind Starting Sometime In The Coming Weeks.

I mean, it SHOULD be obvious, but since we haven't had a clue when the information is coming, it's nice to get some insurance.

This what i had thought would happen. Take a month and do some crunch time, and start in feb with a celebration of SF3 and the 1 year anniversary

Shadoken

February huh, Interesting. Capcom released Season 1 roadmap on Feb 11th.I think we can expect similar schedules to Season 1.

Ohhhhh shit let's go.

Helen is for sure the first character then.

And I already did a bet for this week. I doubt Capcom is gonna drop any real info.

But fine. You have until the end of next week. I'll even make a trailer of the ass eating so you can have some hype Capcom.

Honestly, doing everyone"s survival on medium has led me to discover that I really enjoy playing with Mika and Nash.

Oh, and how do I get good? The game has some tutorials but I doubt they will help me improve much

Last week of Feb is exactly when I would expect Capcom to drop a new character. Just enough time to learn the MU before FR.

That patch will also contain the overhaul to CFN, and likely a balance patch to fix a few currently very silly things like Birdie having a VT headbutt that has both armour from frame 1 and safety on block. (sob)

It'll be hard to accept that patch when it turns out Rashid was actually the best character all along or something - that's why I am hoping it isn't a huge balance patch. Pull Urien and Guile back down a bit, help out the crap characters a bit.

Maybe reduce the lag to 4.5f... I can dream.

After March Capcom are going to have to juggle SFV and MVCI PR, so I think our main patch will be this coming month. Haunts is excited about it, so so am I.

Get good by
1. Practicing
2. Playing against real people as much as possible, both offline and online
3. Reading Gief's Gym and character guides
4. Asking questions
5. Posting your matches here
6. And more practice

Last week of Feb is exactly when I would expect Capcom to drop a new character. Just enough time to learn the MU before FR.

That patch will also contain the overhaul to CFN, and likely a balance patch to fix a few currently very silly things like Birdie having a VT headbutt that has both armour from frame 1 and safety on block. (sob)

It'll be hard to accept that patch when it turns out Rashid was actually the best character all along or something - that's why I am hoping it isn't a huge balance patch. Pull Urien and Guile back down a bit, help out the crap characters a bit.

Maybe reduce the lag to 4.5f... I can dream.

After March Capcom are going to have to juggle SFV and MVCI PR, so I think our main patch will be this coming month. Haunts is excited about it, so so am I.

The CFN update is coming in March, not February. But I think the balance patch will scale down a few things but not be too big. God I hope not. I don't want anyone to feel what Nash/Alex/FANG players are feeling right now.

I definitely agree with you, but at the same time, but there are so few defensive options in this game that being on defense becomes a matter of "well, I just need to wait my turn." There are way too many repeated situations that have no proper solution other than to wait until they poke themselves out of range or use a move that's -2 so that I can go. So we see situations that repeat themselves constantly.
Isn't that how it is in pretty much every fighting game outside of Smash? If your opponent gets in, you have to wait your turn, and I'm okay with that. There are still opportunities to backdash and/or V-Reversal. At least, Bison is extremely vulnerable to V-Reversals.

That's the reason that DPs are so strong in this game, I think (or were, anyway), because momentum means soooooo much. There's no way to be a defensive player in this game, except maybe Guile, I guess. You can't really win on defense. Even Sim has to play aggressive. DP was dangerous because it stopped your offense, and you always want to be on offense in this game.
That's true, but the aggression in this game is primarily centered around the neutral, which I really like.

I would actually be fine with SF3's parry system if it couldn't counter fireballs and aerials.

So, while I agree that it's a good change because it increased character diversity, it doesn't do much to address the lack of diversity in playstyles. DP change means people can stay on the offensive easier. But now you just learn oki setups off your knockdowns and repeat those. There's more setplay now more than ever, and that was one of the things they wanted to take out of the game.
Is there more setplay? That hasn't been my experience outside of corners. But if the DP is necessary to offset offense, then the question becomes: what does the rest of the cast do? Does everyone need a DP?

btw - Happy Birthday! And we'll get together to play some GG soon. It's been a crazy few weeks.
Thanks. :) I feel you, I'm burnt out at the end of every week. I am taking a trip to Florida on the week of Feb 20th. I am probably going to be out of commission until then preparing for the trip. I want to have most of my MA thesis done by the time I leave.

Personally, I have always felt like Street Fighter lacked character diversity. Part of why I generally prefer other fighting games to SF is that the characters are mostly too same-y.

Imo at the very least if a character has a 3 -5 frame invincible reversal, they shouldn't have a 3 frame normal or an anti air normal. Maybe ..maaybe a mandatory 3 bar v trigger.
It's hard to say what the rules should be.

Bison and Rashid players ain't bitching about that white life nerf tbh
Why would we?

Keep DP change.

Revert white life.

Fix v-reversal.

Fuck Cammy.
What's wrong with white life?

Ima trust Japan when it comes to who's top tier or not, y'all remember when we thought wesker was OD but they were like nah Vergil?

I sure do!
Those of us with eyes and brains in the West didn't get it wrong. I called out Vergil pre-release as a top tier.

https://youtu.be/bsC8io4w1sY

I'm with infiltration on this one all the way. It's absolutely ridiculous what Capcom has done to some characters when they specifically said they weren't going to 'greatly' nerf. How is fang and Alex weaker then? Lol...I think/hope this is gonna be the shortest balance update ever, in my small circles, I'm not the only one down on Season 2, and this is coming from players who's main got buffed.

Gonna have to celebrate SF3's birthday by getting completely humiliated by the sharks on fightcade.

I try to avoid complaining about S2 with all that Laura gained, but honestly I had more fun with the character in Season 1. It felt like I could play around with spacing way more, get in some cr. MK confirms from a distance, respond with a surprise cr. MP after blocking... now I just get in point blank every time outside of fishing for Crush Counters with st. HK.

That's just the universal nerfs to normals at play. I wonder what Akuma would've been like with S1 normals? He's pretty much stuck with going in hard point blank as well, outside of his projectile game.

Now that the season's settled in a bit, I can honestly say I preferred the S1 rhythm of playing her even though the character was kind of invisible back then in tier discussions.
Yup, the neutral footsie play got weird. Severely nerfed for some of the cast, buffed for a few and then a group that kinda bypasses it lol. I really didn't want to post my impressions so early. Not only did Ken get beat with the nerf stick but weeks after release impressions always feel knee-jerk, hard not to come off as super biased. But I'm just confident in my ability to analyze. I feel I'm a much better theory fighter than actual player, and who's good in this game was very clear after messing around the cast. Good +on block normals to bully into the corner and a trigger that helps you accomplish it. Some characters don't even need it lol. It's too offensive based I think. But one good thing, Guile and Gief play is always a joy to watch at high level for me...

I'm hopeful for a new patch though, we aren't alone at all rating S1 > S2. Let's wait and see

Skilletor

Isn't that how it is in pretty much every fighting game outside of Smash? If your opponent gets in, you have to wait your turn, and I'm okay with that. There are still opportunities to backdash and/or V-Reversal. At least, Bison is extremely vulnerable to V-Reversals.

That's true, but the aggression in this game is primarily centered around the neutral, which I really like.

I would actually be fine with SF3's parry system if it couldn't counter fireballs and aerials.

I think the difference between this and other SFs is how knockdowns work. Other SFs, pre-4, knockdowns didn't result in tons of pressure. The neutral was much more important. You'd get a knockdown, but there wasn't a lot you could do to pressure.

You'd have the advantage, but not in the same way that you do in SF5. Also, normals across the board except for, like, urien, are nerfed. Nowhere near as much reach, it's harder to keep people contained with mid to long range pokes, and it's nigh impossible to whiff punish. How often in other SFs would you see Tokido/Daigo repeatedly whiff c.hk? lol.

I think setplay being so prevalent just has to do with the characters who are top tier. I'm not sure how they fix the problem, honestly. Not with the system they've set up.

Mr. X

Honestly, doing everyone"s survival on medium has led me to discover that I really enjoy playing with Mika and Nash.

Oh, and how do I get good? The game has some tutorials but I doubt they will help me improve much
Play a lot
Learn to anti air, block and punish and you'll be fine

I could see them rolling back the dp nerf.

uPoHCzq.jpg

Edzi

This game is legit bullshit most of the time. Oh, you got knocked down? I guess you lost. GGs. Even Gief is broken as hell with the bullshit guessing games. No neutral, all setups. The only neutral is the fight for the first knockdown, and some characters can just spam CC heavies. Gief's buttons are all apparently better than Alex's too, in speed and range. lol. Oh, and never mind the constant jump ins, since just one is all you need.

Also, yes, I'm salty. Ranked sucks.

Producer

This game is legit bullshit most of the time. Oh, you got knocked down? I guess you lost. GGs. Even Gief is broken as hell with the bullshit guessing games. No neutral, all setups. The only neutral is the fight for the first knockdown, and some characters can just spam CC heavies. Gief's buttons are all apparently better than Alex's too, in speed and range. lol. Oh, and never mind the constant jump ins, since just one is all you need.

its time to move on from alex lol

Edzi

its time to move on from alex lol

I can't nor do I really want to, just venting. Other characters aren't as fun to play for me, and I don't like playing the sort of game most of the top tier encourage. Ultra offense with a focus on setups/setplay is boring and feels lame. Alex has that to an extent, but he's limited in his oki so he resets back into neutral a lot, and I feel his game relies more on footsies and pokes (the only downside being his nerfed normals which were used for footsies -_- )

I think I just need a break. Maybe I'll wait until they start announcing stuff in February.

Plenty of people who don't play dp characters have said they didn't like the dp nerf.
I'm aware of that (Infiltration being the most famous example), but we'd have to see some polling on the subject to get a feel for how people feel about the change after a few weeks. In all my season 2 playtime I've seen plenty of people making due with EX reversals just fine. If characters like Ryu (literally the only one out of the golden four meterless DP users) are having trouble it might have to do with all the damage, hitbox, hurtbox and pushback nerfs on his normals. A single move not being invincible certainly didn't knock Necalli, Cammy and Ken down to mid tier or bottom tier the way it supposedly did to Ryu.

Alex is balls compared to Karin, but the three things he has going for him way more than Karin are his crouching light punch, f.HP CC and command grab. Unlike Karin's short range cr.lp his is long enough to punish Balrog's blocked dash punches (his cr.lp buff might be the best one he got which is a bit sad lol), his f.HP is far more spammable/combo friendly than Karin's st.hk and any command grab automatically means the opponent can never be sure whether or not you are going for an untechable throw.

Fighting Gief with Alex is tough because Gief's command grab range is far larger. It is only a matter of time before he properly measures the distance for cr.mp/cr.mk punishes or he just armors through the poke. Forget about trying to pressure him with elbow slash too lol. If I had to describe that matchup it would be like a game of chicken between Gief's jump ins and Alex's dash forward command grabs. It takes a lot of heart.

Sayad

What's wrong with white life?
For one, it makes v-reversals does actual decent damage, which is pretty bullshit for that type of moves.

DPs are fine now though, they're still pretty good against frame traps and if you want a real reversal, just use meter, I don't see what does that take away from the game!

Edzi

I'm aware of that (Infiltration being the most famous example), but we'd have to see some polling on the subject to get a feel for how people feel about the change after a few weeks. In all my season 2 playtime I've seen plenty of people making due with EX reversals just fine. If characters like Ryu (literally the only one out of the golden four meterless DP users) are having trouble it might have to do with all the damage, hitbox, hurtbox and pushback nerfs on his normals. A single move not being invincible certainly didn't knock Necalli, Cammy and Ken down to mid tier or bottom tier the way it supposedly did to Ryu.

Alex is balls compared to Karin, but the three things he has going for him way more than Karin are his crouching light punch, f.HP CC and command grab. Unlike Karin's short range cr.lp his is long enough to punish Balrog's blocked dash punches (his cr.lp buff might be the best one he got which is a bit sad lol), his f.HP is far more spammable/combo friendly than Karin's st.hk and any command grab automatically means the opponent can never be sure whether or not you are going for an untechable throw.

Fighting Gief with Alex is tough because Gief's command grab range is far larger. It is only a matter of time before he properly measures the distance for cr.mp/cr.mk punishes or he just armors through the poke. Forget about trying to pressure him with elbow slash too lol. If I had to describe that matchup it would be like a game of chicken between Gief's jump ins and Alex's dash forward command grabs. It takes a lot of heart.

You sure he gets pressure after a command throw?

And yeah, seems like dash up grabs are the only thing you can really do against Gief, since he can punish any of Alex's buttons with a parry into SPD.

This game is legit bullshit most of the time. Oh, you got knocked down? I guess you lost. GGs.

If anything SFV could well be on it's way to mirroring the development of SFIV's meta, where the strong vortex/okizeme/option select characters (mostly) dominated for four years, when ultra came out.

I agree that the game revolving around 50/50 setups isn't optimal. Longterm view I think crush counters have been a net deteriment to the game that aren't properly hedged against with v-reversals.

Sayad

You'd have the advantage, but not in the same way that you do in SF5. Also, normals across the board except for, like, urien, are nerfed. Nowhere near as much reach, it's harder to keep people contained with mid to long range pokes, and it's nigh impossible to whiff punish. How often in other SFs would you see Tokido/Daigo repeatedly whiff c.hk? lol.
This is the thing I hate the most about SFV right now, moves reach is always shorter than it appears(unless you're Urien :D ), even throw ranges are too short, it's the only FG where we see as much unintentional whiffs. Have zero hope for this getting fixed though.

You sure he gets pressure after a command throw?

And yeah, seems like dash up grabs are the only thing you can really do against Gief, since he can punish any of Alex's buttons with a parry into SPD.
I only said his command grab gives him a guessing game that Karin and other non-command grab users just don't have which can be handy now and then. Regarding Gief, I usually hate fighting grapplers, but after watching Genki and YSB go at it (Alex vs Hugo) I kinda fell in love with big body match ups. Eventually Giefs will wise up and start reacting EX SPDs as soon as they see an Alex dash, though. Then hypah bombs will blow up in his face.

Play Cammy.

It's Feb 1st already and no new information. Capcom dropped the ball big time, there's no recovering from this. /s

Also I hope they realize over the course of February doesn't just mean the last few days. Give me my damn SF3 Alex costume already. And add his DDT. And extend command thrown range. And revert his normal nerfs. And add an air hitbox to his stomp. And the ability to cross up. And ability to beat fireballs more easily. And revert his slash to how it was. And increase his health to 1050.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I knew Smug would become a contender. He just has the best attitude. Never complains, finds what works and puts in the work to become solid.

Justin Wong on the other hand...that guy hasn't improved at all over the past 8 months or so when he was one of the best in the world when the game came out. It's kind of weird. Maybe he should look into some improvement techniques or something, it's ridiculous.
He can be happy it wasn't a 10-0 or we would have a new meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yxc5zVY-j0

Happened in a match tonight. Decided to do a little video.
We've totally played a couple of times.

lol at 100k sales.
If this is the rate we're at, they won't support it for too long.

Support depends more on how much the DLCs keep selling.

They seem to be getting a good return on investment on that front. The Capcom Pro Tour DLC appears to have generated something like $350.000 in sales, from just three premium costumes, a stage, and a couple of titles.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think the difference between this and other SFs is how knockdowns work. Other SFs, pre-4, knockdowns didn't result in tons of pressure. The neutral was much more important. You'd get a knockdown, but there wasn't a lot you could do to pressure.

Have you never played against Claw in ST, or Balrog or T.Hawk?.

Or Makoto in 3s, or Yun.

Setplay has always been a thing in Streetfighter, and V has weak setplay compared to most other fighting games.

The inability to whiff punish in this game is probably my least favorite thing about it. Normals are stubby, slow, and have low active frames.

Sayad

Ucchedavāda;229490950 said:
They seem to be getting a good return on investment on that front. The Capcom Pro Tour DLC appears to have generated something like $350.000 in sales, from just three premium costumes, a stage, and a couple of titles.
Read this as "a couple of titties" and it still held true. ;p

Oh, he's a top 8 player for sure, but unless Birdie is now his main?

I meant it as "his Birdie shows up in top 8 sometimes", with S2 Alex, will probably do more so this season, unless he switch to a better main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom