• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The first video I linked to is part of a series that answers all your questions. Supposedly the game is around 40-50 hours if you rush through it, but 100+ if you try to do everything. The world size is compared to Oblivion in that OXM preview. NPC interaction seems limited to quests and pawn stuff, but there could be more to it.

ah, thanks. i thought it was just the one video.

had a kick ass moment with the griffin. fucker just kept flying by but somehow i managed to time a jump perfectly and grab him by the tail mid flight. i climbed over towards his hide and started slashing at his wings till they caught on fire and we both crashed to the ground. lovely game.

branny

I'm waiting for Lens of Truth and/or Digital Foundry to do a tech comparison between both demos. It sucks that we have to choose between finicky framerate or obnoxious screen tearing. Hopefully the final build of the game will be smoothed out a bit.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
how do you counter with the shield? managed to drop the chimera once but I have no idea how I did it.

Anteater

how do you counter with the shield? managed to drop the chimera once but I have no idea how I did it.

Pretty much like Amalur I think (if you've played that), by pressing block at the right time right before the enemy's attack lands, parrying will always down the Chimera if you do it right against its dash/leap move :D

ced

Well just as I feared from watching videos, the pawns are annoying as hell. Always in the way.

Demo is way too short, I'm still getting it though, something felt right.

Some people are just more sensitive to lower framerates than others. Only having access a low-to-mid-end PC I'm used to playing games at uneven framerates, so when things get a little choppy it doesn't bother me to much.

That being said, people who think the PS3 version is on par with the 360 version in regards to framerate are silly. The PS3 version definitely runs 5-10 frames slower in most scenes but I did not find it to be detrimental to the gameplay experience. I was still able to accurately aim my bow and cap that Griffin with no issues.

Edit: I'm getting the PS3 version. PC gaming and it's v-sync triple buffering has made me very intolerant to screen tearing.

branny

I don't think you'll be forced to use any other pawn than your primary pawn. The other two must be hired (whether in-game or online), and, in the demo, it seems like they completely vanish once their death timers run out. If you can let them do that in the full version, maybe you can just refuse to hire new ones? I personally don't have an issue with them, but I can understand people wanting to solo for whatever reason.

Anteater

You could dismiss your pawns or kill them, they will probably get killed at some point anyway since if they fall off a cliff, you'll lose them.

So I think you're free to hire low level ones or not hire them at all, you get more exp from hiring lower level pawns, so it's a possibility that they reward you for going less.

You could dismiss your pawns or kill them, they will probably get killed at some point anyway since if they fall off a cliff, you'll lose them.

So I think you're free to hire low level ones or not hire them at all, you get more exp from hiring lower level pawns, so it's a possibility that they reward you for going less.

In the prologue, if you pass on the rift stone, I noticed the default Arisen actually leveled up unlike the time when I went with three pawns.

So yes you do get more experience for using less pawns.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They need to do a better job of showing what the high end armor looks like. I'm hoping for some Monster Hunter quality armor designs.

Syril

Well, I tried playing the demo again, this time picking up the pawn and hurling him to his death, then ignoring the riftstone. The difference is night and fucking day. Suddenly, I'm becoming immersed into everything, I get to stop and look around the cave for treasure and talk to people without being cut off by helpers who act as if I can't think for myself, the fights aren't giant clusterfucks from three other CPUs going apeshit before I can even see the enemies (and are quite fun), and the fight with the chimera is incredibly thrilling and challenging and does a great job capturing the spirit of Monster Hunter without being beholden to its minutiae. If the full game has an easy way to remove my pawn, I may actually be interested.

Derrick01

Banned
:lol @ people considering not using the pawns. You gonna get Wrecked™ in the full game.

Just another reason why this demo was so goddamn terrible. People are assuming things about the full game because of it.

They'll learn quick with the pawn thing though. I can't wait to hear the raging in the OT.

Anteater

:lol @ people considering not using the pawns. You gonna get Wrecked™ in the full game.

I think people are giving the pawns too much credits based off the demo, they won't be powerful at the beginning and wrecking shit right away like they do in the prologue.

Could probably adjust accordingly while you progress, part of the fun!

I like the idea of support pawns myself, I'll be hiring them and harassing then send them back.

Skilletor

I find it amusing people are giving so much stock to videogame reviewers who look to be terrible at the game.

This game strikes me as one that will allow skill and knowledge of enemies lead to victory over brute force (which will also work, if that's how you decide to play). After playing against these bosses, I could probably beat them at level 1, it would just take longer. It's all about knowing when to block, dodge, parry, and use your skills.

lol @ people thinking it's a bad thing people will exercise the opportunity to have more challenge in the game if that's their desire.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Griffon fight in the dark was pretty cool... couple times I lost it in the black and it got the drop on me with its rush/tackle move.

demigod

Some people are just more sensitive to lower framerates than others. Only having access a low-to-mid-end PC I'm used to playing games at uneven framerates, so when things get a little choppy it doesn't bother me to much.

That being said, people who think the PS3 version is on par with the 360 version in regards to framerate are silly. The PS3 version definitely runs 5-10 frames slower in most scenes but I did not find it to be detrimental to the gameplay experience. I was still able to accurately aim my bow and cap that Griffin with no issues.

Edit: I'm getting the PS3 version. PC gaming and it's v-sync triple buffering has made me very intolerant to screen tearing.

No, there are people that are saying the game *dips*, that's false. The game might not be locked at 30fps, but it is consistent. And i'm gonna take a guess that it's running at 24fps.

I want to be able to create all 3 of the pawns, not just one.

I want to make me and my merry band of real life bros.; but since I can't, it'll just be me and the incarnation of my best friend. Sorry to those who didn't make the cut. :p

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
i think the demo is kind of bad, not saying the game is. instead of two fights I would liked one big dungeon with a boss fight at the end.

Gbraga

Maximillian will make Dragon's Dogma videos? Fuck yeah.

No, there are people that are saying the game *dips*, that's false. The game might not be locked at 30fps, but it is consistent. And i'm gonna take a guess that it's running at 24fps.

Yes, it's consistent indeed.

witness

Ok wow, I really liked that demo. I was legitimately surprised by how good it was. It just has a feel to it that is really compelling. As someone who played WoW for far too long, I love the pawn system and having a full party. Before this demo I had no interest, now I'm going to get it unless the reviews for it are a disaster (which I can't see based on this demo).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, that second mission in the demo is disappointingly short. Fighting that boss in the dark = raycharlescantseeshit x 100.

But im totally loving this game, and i can't wait until the 22nd....day 1!

Hazanko

Banned

Yeah I thought it dipped at the dragon bit but after a few goes it doesn't. The frame rate isn't perfect on ps3 but there wasn't any dips. I thought it was going to be worse to be honest but I won't know until the full game. I have to wait for the 360 demo before deciding which version I want.

Patryn

Discovered that I apparently have a higher tolerance for low framerate than I do for screen tearing.

Because I noticed that shit right away in the 360 version. PS3 version looks great to me. Switching my pre-order to PS3.

branny

Fighting the chimera solo is annoying. On the last HP bar, you have to manage your stamina like crazy. Aside from perfect blocking (which is weird because you can't do it right when you get attacked; it seems like you have to do it slightly before), I think you can riposte with Hindsight Slash if you dodge a paw swing during the backstep. I'm not sure if that's what happened or if I did enough damage to just knock him down normally. Maybe hitting the legs repeatedly will also topple him? I don't think you can regular guard against his swipes, either. It has to be the just defend guard, otherwise you should be getting out of the way instead of trying to block.

Anyway, playing it this way lets you see each attack pattern much more clearly:

The snake can physically attack you if you're within its range. It can also barf a field of poison that does constant damage to you.

The goat can cast a lightning spell, an ice spell, and a firebolt spell that all track you but can be dodged by moving out of the way. There is also a proximity AoE sleep spell that can get you.

The lion just kind of runs around and swipes you. He can pounce and also go into berserk mode after his roar. If you're close, he'll jump right over you during his pounce (the one where he rears up immediately before). If you're behind him, he'll donkey kick you. Interestingly enough, I don't think he bites. *Nevermind. He chomps on you if you're on the ground.

edit: The berserk pouncing crap is giving me Barioth flashbacks from MH Tri. :(

edit 2: I think he goes into berserk if he's the only part left alive. Leaving the goat alive and killing the lion after the snake seems much safer. Wow.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If only the Griffin had a lantern attached to it.
Wouldn't it be great if you could somehow stab a lantern into a rampaging monster?

Maybe there'll be a spell that lights up enemies, or fire arrows or something that stick in and at least give you clues in the dark.

abundant

Wouldn't it be great if you could somehow stab a lantern into a rampaging monster?

Maybe there'll be a spell that lights up enemies, or fire arrows or something that stick in and at least give you clues in the dark.

There are light spells in the game, only for Mages and Magic Archers.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews

I've seen a vid of a player using flare arrows to be able to fight monsters at night. Preeeeeeeetty boss.

Akainu

I'll try again later but I wasn't impressed. The constant talking was definitely annoying and the zooming in when that guy grabbed stuff even more so. It isn't going to be like that in the full game is it? How do the herbs work? They heal jack when I used them. Also is there no dodge?

Anteater

I'll try again later but I wasn't impressed. The constant talking was definitely annoying and the zooming in when that guy grabbed stuff even more so. It isn't going to be like that in the full game is it? How do the herbs work? They heal jack when I used them. Also is there no dodge?

You could turn off the zooming in function, fighter focuses on block and parrying, strider has a roll. You could toss your pawns down the cliff if you don't want to play with them too, but I don't know if it will be this easy in the retail game.

Lucent

The slow-motion stuff they do is the cinematic camera. You can turn that off through the options via the main menu/title screen. There's a lot you can turn off. I turned off the talking text boxes and stuff. And I think only the Strider can dodge so far.

Lucent

This. Personally I like the pawns, the more the merrier. Finally an RPG where I can gang bang an enemy to death.

They're actually pretty helpful and aren't just dumb AI. It seemed like they were always doing something for a reason. And I like being able to command them some.

Derrick01

Banned
They're actually pretty helpful and aren't just dumb AI. It seemed like they were always doing something for a reason. And I like being able to command them some.

Yeah the mage guy in my group was healing everyone which saved me the hassle of going into the inventory a thousand times to use items on them and he seemed to always cast a fire spell on me at the right time so I could shoot fire arrows at the griffon.

Meanwhile my main pawn was always trying to launch me into the air when it was hovering above the ground so I could grab its tail and climb up top. I don't remember anything about the 3rd pawn though, he was probably a relatively useless bastard :p

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Got taken on another full ride in the air in pitch black again ... me and one of my pawns this time. Really low on stamina...normal weak slash now and then when i'm not holding on for dear life. I'm just about to get shaken off at cruising altitude over some fuckin rocks when from the ground i see 3 little lights turn into medium sized lights and then fireballs. Mage is a damn sharpshooter. Must of just tipped the scale cause he went up in flames spiraled out and got 2 and 2/3rds of his life bar eaten the fuck up for it.

This game is gonna own my time. All of it.

This. Personally I like the pawns, the more the merrier. Finally an RPG where I can gang bang an enemy to death.

Seeing them climb the bosses and shank them to death, while the mage is healing and magiking up a storm, while all constantly praising me and worrying about my stamina is like the ultimate RPG power fantasy. This game doesn't need co-op at all, I love the concept of pawns. In fact, I wish I could create all 3 of them.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
There are light spells in the game, only for Mages and Magic Archers.
I've seen a vid of a player using flare arrows to be able to fight monsters at night. Preeeeeeeetty boss.
Cheers guys! Sounds boss indeed.
I just read a couple of articles about the whole Pawn system, and it sounds great. Like many players, I don't want to rely on them completely, but the way its integrated into an online trading/messaging system is really exciting.

Can't wait for a buddy to hire my carefully crafted Pawn, then have it report back with new intel and whatnot. It's kind of similar to the 'impersonal' help you get in the Souls series (messages, phantoms, etc.) but with a much deeper social aspect.

Genuinely excited now. May can't come soon enough :)

Fighting the chimera solo is annoying. On the last HP bar, you have to manage your stamina like crazy. Aside from perfect blocking (which is weird because you can't do it right when you get attacked; it seems like you have to do it slightly before), I think you can riposte with Hindsight Slash if you dodge a paw swing during the backstep. I'm not sure if that's what happened or if I did enough damage to just knock him down normally. Maybe hitting the legs repeatedly will also topple him? I don't think you can regular guard against his swipes, either. It has to be the just defend guard, otherwise you should be getting out of the way instead of trying to block.

Anyway, playing it this way lets you see each attack pattern much more clearly:

The snake can physically attack you if you're within its range. It can also barf a field of poison that does constant damage to you.

The goat can cast a lightning spell, an ice spell, and a firebolt spell that all track you but can be dodged by moving out of the way. There is also a proximity AoE sleep spell that can get you.

The lion just kind of runs around and swipes you. He can pounce and also go into berserk mode after his roar. If you're close, he'll jump right over you during his pounce (the one where he rears up immediately before). If you're behind him, he'll donkey kick you. Interestingly enough, I don't think he bites. *Nevermind. He chomps on you if you're on the ground.

edit: The berserk pouncing crap is giving me Barioth flashbacks from MH Tri. :(

edit 2: I think he goes into berserk if he's the only part left alive. Leaving the goat alive and killing the lion after the snake seems much safer. Wow.

I left the lion til last and only blocked, maybe 5 times.

If you just circle him during his attacks he'll almost never hit you.

branny

The GameTrailers preview of the 360 version looks like there's still a lot of screen tearing. :(

Playing the demo some more, I love how you can still recharge stamina during standard attacks. Stamina meters in a lot of games can become annoying if you're always running out, so it's nice to see downtime reduced like this. It's also frightening to have "free" attacks and movements. The strider's rolling costs nothing, for example, but I guess it does seem more for positioning instead of flat-out evasion considering how fast you can run. I can't imagine what kind of horrifying situations the game is going to put you in that require a burst of speed like that. I genuinely love how the combat system as a whole feels like some crazy Monster Hunter, Demon's/Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry, and Sengoku Basara hybrid. You have everything you need: characters who are more than capable, enemies who are more than capable, and solid interaction between friend and foe alike.

I left the lion til last and only blocked, maybe 5 times.

If you just circle him during his attacks he'll almost never hit you.
I'll try that the next time. The shield circling stuff in this game still feels weird without a proper lock on, and it seems like every time I get too close to him I clip right through and everything goes haywire. Reminds me a little bit of Sif from Dark Souls in that regard. While it's fun to solo that part of the demo, I definitely want a nice, eclectic party in the full version of the game. It feels too lonely without pawns.

Top Bottom