• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Tizoc

I just wanna come in here and say
Legend of Zelda is the Dragonball Z of Video games
Ys is the Hokuto no Ken of Video games

Tizoc

I don't think Zelda and Ys are comparable at all unless you simply want to compare Ys 3 and Zelda 2.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell they both debuted a year apart (Zelda was in 1986, Ys in 1987), but I see them as parallels in the sense that they are about an adventurer who goes on to beat monster and demon ass and save the day.
Only Zelda is more Action Adventure and Ys is more Metal/Rock Action RPG.

Mr.Jeff

Good to be playing Ys 8 again. So smooth to move around now and all those long loading times are gone away.
I thought the Solo mode Adol mode was going to be part of the dual version DLC but I guess it must be an option for NG+

sibarraz

Banned
Started playing memoirs of celceta, the game is amazing

Does it matter that I only have played YS 1 and 2 for the story? Memoirs of celceta is the continuation of which game?

Which is the consensus of the game? I read that some fans hated the parry mechanic since it made the game too easy. I had some troubles beating the first boss but when I did it felt great

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Does it matter that I only have played YS 1 and 2 for the story? Memoirs of celceta is the continuation of which game?

Which is the consensus of the game? I read that some fans hated the parry mechanic since it made the game too easy. I had some troubles beating the first boss but when I did it felt great

Apart from 1&2, none of the games are super closely linked. Origin is pretty heavily tied to 1&2 too, but not to the extent you have to play all of them to understand everything. Most of the links between games are backstory and lore things.

I'm not sure there is a true consensus on Celceta. A lot of people love the game. A lot of people also think it's pretty good but not as good as prior games (Oath in Felghana, Origin).

I haven't seen many people that didn't like it at all, but they exist.

Outside of Ys 1, 2 and Origin, Ys is a series that is largely self contained with minimal references to past games. As for where Celceta comes in for the timeline, it's right after 1 and 2, although keep in mind that it barely references either game.

Ys Origin
Ys I & II
Ys IV: Memories of Celceta
Ys III: The Oath in Felghana
Ys V: Kefin, The Lost City of Sand
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim
Ys VII

Oreiller

I'm playing through Ys IV: Mask of the Sun right now. The game is flawed af, and most bosses are pretty awful with one hit kill attacks, but I'm having fun nonetheless.
It's pretty interesting to see the differences with Celceta when it comes to the narrative, this one is much more closely connected to Ys I and II.
I can't wait to play through Dawn of Ys when I have the time though, it seems pretty fantastic from what I've seen of it.

Celceta has a lot of lore references to pretty much every other game in the series that you'll miss out on if you haven't played them. But they're only significant if you care.

Apart from 1&2, none of the games are super closely linked. Origin is pretty heavily tied to 1&2 too, but not to the extent you have to play all of them to understand everything. Most of the links between games are backstory and lore things.

I think you can enjoy the first two routes without having played 1 and 2, but I'd highly recommend playing through them before tackling the True Route

I'm not sure there is a true consensus on Celceta. A lot of people love the game. A lot of people also think it's pretty good but not as good as prior games (Oath in Felghana, Origin).

I haven't seen many people that didn't like it at all, but they exist.

I personally put Celceta on the level of Felghana, but I don't have as high of an opinion of that game as most people on here seem to.

I think they're both more refined versions of their predecessors with vastly improved play mechanics, but they're missing something I can't really describe that makes me enjoy the previous games (Napishtim and Seven) more.

sibarraz

Banned
I started playing memories of celceta 2 weeks. I started the game in nightmare and I love it, is my first time playing with the party system and even though is hard to get used to it, is a very cool system

Also, is recomendated to grind in this game? I went to water caverns and the boss took me 30 minutes to beat, since my damage output was very low, but at the same time, after 5 tries the patterns of this boss were easy to read

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I started playing memories of celceta 2 weeks. I started the game in nightmare and I love it, is my first time playing with the party system and even though is hard to get used to it, is a very cool system

Also, is recomendated to grind in this game? I went to water caverns and the boss took me 30 minutes to beat, since my damage output was very low, but at the same time, after 5 tries the patterns of this boss were easy to read

If you cant kill a boss under 6 mins on nightmare your level or your gear need to be improved typically

preta

Those character status screens. Yikes. Grammatical errors in all three, and they translated the katakana names into English while still leaving the already-English names right next to them, so we have stuff like "Sahad Nautilus Sahad Nautilus". The dialogue is pretty dry too, though at least it doesn't seem to have errors.

Not exactly too optimistic for a high-quality localization right now. Hopefully things will be improved, but it's less than 3 months to release...

The moment it was confirmed to not be xseed you should have lowered your expectation, and when it was confirmed to be nisa it should have sank even lower.

sibarraz

Banned
If you cant kill a boss under 6 mins on nightmare your level or your gear need to be improved typically

Tips for grinding materials and levels? All the new characters that join my party are already 2 levels higher than I so I know that I must be underleveled

Also dont know which is the most optimal way to increase my weapons

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Tips for grinding materials and levels? All the new characters that join my party are already 2 levels higher than I so I know that I must be underleveled

Also dont know which is the most optimal way to increase my weapons
Find a spot close to a zone in that has abundant monsters or a zone to zone spot that is packed, pay attention when you reach a new area at how fast your experience bar goes up. If it feels like it's barely moving after you killed 5 to 10 dudes then you are basically at the cap for that area.

For weapon crafting it's all about always hitting up the nodes when you see them. Make a mental note when you get to a shop on what you need to make the new stuff then as you move forward make note of the specific spawns. After you get to the next way point thingy tp back to town then make another journey blasting past monsters you don't need and gather the stuff you need. Doing that once or twice will typically net you what you need to craft the next set of gear. If you have bad luck then it could take 3 or 4 times

This might all sound tedious but due to the pace of the game it goes by super fast. Also of you are still getting decent experience in the material gathering part go head and just kill everything

sibarraz

Banned
Find a spot close to a zone in that has abundant monsters or a zone to zone spot that is packed, pay attention when you reach a new area at how fast your experience bar goes up. If it feels like it's barely moving after you killed 5 to 10 dudes then you are basically at the cap for that area.

For weapon crafting it's all about always hitting up the nodes when you see them. Make a mental note when you get to a shop on what you need to make the new stuff then as you move forward make note of the specific spawns. After you get to the next way point thingy tp back to town then make another journey blasting past monsters you don't need and gather the stuff you need. Doing that once or twice will typically net you what you need to craft the next set of gear. If you have bad luck then it could take 3 or 4 times

This might all sound tedious but due to the pace of the game it goes by super fast. Also of you are still getting decent experience in the material gathering part go head and just kill everything

Thanks, another question, is worthy to use your older weapons and armor as crafting material for the stronger weapons?

Now I'm with Karna, and the boss on her dungeon was incredibly easy. it took me only 3 tries to beat it.

Is Memories the easiest ys out there?

preta

Thanks, another question, is worthy to use your older weapons and armor as crafting material for the stronger weapons?

Now I'm with Karna, and the boss on her dungeon was incredibly easy. it took me only 3 tries to beat it.

Is Memories the easiest ys out there?

The original SNES version of V was so easy that it received a rerelease with a harder difficulty level just three months after release. Having played it, I can definitely understand this.

The original SNES version of V was so easy that it received a rerelease with a harder difficulty level just three months after release. Having played it, I can definitely understand this.

Did the english patch ever get updated to work with the hard version?

Also ys 5 was easy but the games bigger problems were the janky hit detection and bad platforming. Those wouldn't be fixed by a hard version.

preta

Did the english patch ever get updated to work with the hard version?

Also ys 5 was easy but the games bigger problems were the janky hit detection and bad platforming. Those wouldn't be fixed by a hard version.

No, unfortunately, there's no patch for the Expert version. And while it ups the difficulty (and adds a bonus dungeon and boss rush), as you said, it doesn't really do much to address the core problems.

No, unfortunately, there's no patch for the Expert version. And while it ups the difficulty (and adds a bonus dungeon and boss rush), as you said, it doesn't really do much to address the core problems.

Where is the bonus dungeon put in the world? Is it in the final dungeon? Can't think where else they could put one with how ys5 is structured.

sibarraz

Banned
This is the first ys game for ps4 (Origins is a port from an old game) I guess that the hardcore fanbase here is already on pc and vita

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No matter how bad PS4 numbers are, they are likely much better than the Vita ones.

I'm still not even sure I'm going to pick this up at release, and that would make it the first Ys game since Seven I didn't get day one.

No matter how bad PS4 numbers are, they are likely much better than the Vita ones.

I'm still not even sure I'm going to pick this up at release, and that would make it the first Ys game since Seven I didn't get day one.

Not counting ys6 steam port this is the first ys game I could potentially get at launch, but ys 7 and mem of celceta fell so flat for me I'm not excited for another party focused game.

Gu4n

Ys8 on amazon is only 6 cents away from the cost of amazon prime discount before launch o_o how bad are pre order numbers for this game?
I'll admit I didn't pre-order because of what I've seen from the E3 footage. I'm hopeful it was an older build and the final product will be more refined, but until then I'm not opening my wallet.

Tizoc

I just wanna bust shit up as adol and co while rocking to that glorious falcom soundtrack.
I can look past the nisa debacle for the most part

I'm playing through Ys IV: Mask of the Sun right now. The game is flawed af, and most bosses are pretty awful with one hit kill attacks, but I'm having fun nonetheless.

Oldish post, but nothing in MotS should have a one-hit kill outright IIRC. Though few of them (most notably the first boss...) have attacks that hit with a constant stream of damage that literally melt Adol in under a second.

Also yes, gotta get on Dawn.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just wanna bust shit up as adol and co while rocking to that glorious falcom soundtrack.
I can look past the nisa debacle for the most part

Yup this is how I feel about it, even if the translation isn't up to par it's still gonna convey the things I need to know in a langue I can read so I can enjoy the game

preta

I've finished VIII, and I can safely say that it's not only my new favorite game in the series, but legitimately one of my favorite games ever. Just absolutely phenomenal in virtually every regard. The story especially surprised me - I'd put it on the level of a Trails game, even. And the endgame goes places.

Top Bottom