• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Takes Down Videos And Patreon From Creator Of Mario 64 Online

WestEgg

Why are you even discussing the mod itself when Nintendo hasn't taken the mod down?

This is all there is to it. People are arguing Nintendo had no right to take down original code. This is true and they didn't.

Other people are arguing that Nintendo did have the right to take down promotional material that utilized their IP, and the patreon account that received money as a result. This is true and they did.

Can we be done with this now?

XandBosch

It's the exact same thing.

Do feel free to explain how original code is any different from original music.

Do feel free to keep ignoring that screenshot that's going around this thread. Original code doesn't mean shit while that's happening. And as others have said, the dude is using the base game and IP to market the mod and his patreon, he's not putting up a really minimal site saying "here's a mod to let you play Mario 64 online" and then leaving it be. He's posting videos, using Nintendo characters in the mod, etc. etc. Adding original music to a game with a simple mod isn't the same thing.

This is all there is to it. People are arguing Nintendo had no right to take down original code. This is true and they didn't.

Other people are arguing that Nintendo did have the right to take down promotional material that utilized their IP, and the patreon account that received money as a result. This is true and they did.

Can we be done with this now?

Also this.

Wamb0wneD

No surprises here.

What did he expect?

That this starts the ususal "Nintendo are anticonsumer dickheads again" news wave like it does everytime and therefore grants him more patreon money.

Do feel free to keep ignoring that screenshot that's going around this thread. Original code doesn't mean shit while that's happening. And as others have said, the dude is using the base game and IP to market the mod and his patreon, he's not putting up a really minimal site saying "here's a mod to let you play Mario 64 online" and then leaving it be. He's posting videos, using Nintendo characters in the mod, etc. etc. Adding original music to a game with a simple mod isn't the same thing.

Also this.
In BernardoOne's eyes this is the same thing as DSfix lmao.

XandBosch

That this starts the ususal "Nintendo are anticonsumer dickheads again" news wave like it does everytime and therefore grants him more patreon money.

In BernardoOne's eyes this is the same thing as DSfix lmao.

8c3.jpg

I like that the guys at the centre of this are always super-chill about everything, and it's only people who don't have a horse in the race that take up weapons to passionately defend (or more likely attack) the individual or Nintendo.

Nights87

Providing the mod has absolutely no code from the game in it, or Nintendo models, and its just a mod that adjusts memory addresses,

I see absolutely no problem with the existence and monetisation of it.
As far as im concerned, its no different to a game genie.
Game genies were ruled LEGAL in the US.
It was Nintendo who took them to court and lost. The judge ruled that the Game Genie did not violate Nintendo's copyrights.

Its a real shame took because this is a fantastic piece of work.
I think the mistake he made was including any references to Mario in its promotion.
Someone might have a better memory than me but i don't recall game genie promoting itself using footage from the game with the modifications on.

The thing is that it's not like this is the only thing Nintendo does to shut down anything their community does.

Then don't buy their products if it does bother you. They have the right to control their creations regardless of how old-fashioned their attitude is. No one has an issue with smaller companies or creatives exercising that right, only large corporations. It's so bewildering.

The precedent of people being able to promote, profit or create whatever using anyone's IP's would be far worse for the industry.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The thing is that it's not like this is the only thing Nintendo does to shut down anything their community does.

And they are right to be pillared for those egregious examples when applicable.

Throwing shit Nintendo's way when they're right and only took down the correct items (and not the mod itself) because of previous shit makes people who shit on them look stupider, not smarter. It actually emboldens Nintendo's defenders when they defend indefensible actions because now they get to use the same method as people in this thread have been against Nintendo, shutting down "haters" based on "previously being in the wrong,"

N21

I feel for these kind of people, making mods and trying to get some support only for it to be silenced quickly. Anyway, good news is that the patreon was affected and not the modification.

N21

The ๖ۜBronx;249425367 said:
The work is still there, just pointing it out as your post made it sound like you thought the mod was taken down.

It also show that many people are jumping in head first into the convo without reading the thread first.

Nights87

The ๖ۜBronx;249425367 said:
The work is still there, just pointing it out as your post made it sound like you thought the mod was taken down.

My bad, I was well aware the mod was still up. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was taken down.
I meant it in more of a 'providing the mod only adjusts the memory addresses of the game and is all his own code, its a shame he cant make any money'.

But yeah given that hes used Mario in the promotion materials, it muddies the water a bit. I can see why Nintendo have done what they've done.

Phu

Banned
What is this is less about someone using Nintendo's IP and more about someone putting Waluigi into a mainline Mario game?

While is a dick move to take down the Patreon, the videos are bullshit.

And people said that companies taking down videos using the DMCA is not going to be a slippery slope.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Providing the mod has absolutely no code from the game in it, or Nintendo models, and its just a mod that adjusts memory addresses,

It was Nintendo who took them to court and lost. The judge ruled that the Game Genie did not violate Nintendo's copyrights.

Its a real shame took because this is a fantastic piece of work.
I think the mistake he made was including any references to Mario in its promotion.
Someone might have a better memory than me but i don't recall game genie promoting itself using footage from the game with the modifications on.

And Nintendo left the program intact as they should. But I'd like to use your Game Genie example to make a point.

Take a good look at the box.

gg10b.jpg

Note how it does not reference any games by name or show any imagery; only "most popular games,". Additionally there is no logo on the cart for the same reason. This person was using Nintendo IP name and imagery to promote their patreon. Game Genie is an example of how to do it right and as you say, win legally.

collige

Banned
So the Patreon was only taken down because of screenshots/videos? He should just remake it so it can't get taken down.

Except with the new laws that vastly increase the scope technology companies have to enforce their copyrights (namely the DMCA) Game Genies would almost certainly be illegal today.

Water

And Nintendo left the program intact as they should. But I'd like to use your Game Genie example to make a point.

Take a good look at the box.

Note how it does not reference any games by name or show any imagery; only "most popular games,". Additionally there is no logo on the cart for the same reason. This person was using Nintendo IP name and imagery to promote their patreon. Game Genie is an example of how to do it right and as you say, win legally.
Matter-of-fact descriptive statements like "this Emulator X mod adds co-op play to Super Mario 64" or "this floor mat is sized for exact fit to Audi A4 Sedan (2015)", accompanied by clear disclaimers that the mod and the mat are not made or endorsed by Emulator X, Nintendo or Audi, should absolutely be covered by fair use. As should any media which only shows enough of the game or the car necessary to demonstrate the function and fit of the mod or the floor mat.

Metal B

Matter-of-fact descriptive statements like "this Emulator X mod adds co-op play to Super Mario 64" or "this floor mat is sized for exact fit to Audi A4 Sedan (2015)", accompanied by clear disclaimers that the mod and the mat are not made or endorsed by Emulator X, Nintendo or Audi, should absolutely be covered by fair use. As should any media which only shows enough of the game or the car necessary to demonstrate the function and fit of the mod or the floor mat.
I researched a little and you can mention, that a floor mat is usable for a Audi A4 Sedan (2015), but you can't use copy-protected icons and images from Audi. You can use your picture of an Audi, but you have to be careful to show the logo.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If I was in a high position at Nintendo, I would pitch a 4 players SM64 and try to get this guy on board. The good publicity alone would be worth it.

Schnozberry

I never saw his Patreon page. Did he used Nintendo assets? Because I think the act itself is legal (or should be).

Nintendo took down the Patreon because it contained videos that used their characters, and the text of the Patreon referenced one of their commercial products (Mario 64) as a selling point for the Mod. With some careful rewording and some new videos that show off the mod without Nintendo IP, everything can go back up.

This dude made a Patreon and was earning money thanks to Mario 64 and people are saying that taking it down was a dick move by Nintendo? I... what?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo took down the Patreon because it contained videos that used their characters, and the text of the Patreon referenced one of their commercial products (Mario 64) as a selling point for the Mod. With some careful rewording and some new videos that show off the mod without Nintendo IP, everything can go back up.

Mmm,. The videos might be a tough one. Would a reskin be enough? Who owns the Croc IP?

Let the fans have fun making money off of someone else's creation.

Hey, while I'm at it, why don't I go ahead and record my own guitar part onto each song of Led Zeppelin II, start a patreon to help people pay for the recording gear and who get copies of the album when I'm done, and then once it's all said and done, I'll put it up on YouTube and possibly get ad revenue from it.

Or I could even edit the original Star Wars trilogy to be black and white, ask people to pay me to do it, and then put em' up on YouTube to get ad revenue.

We'll see how song they let that shit happen for lol.

Oh I have no issues with them taking down the patreon, making money off of other people's creations is weird. But this probably would have happened even without the patreon thing.

I hate Nintendo's policy but I'm surprised why the creator didn't just keep this as a low-key release. The moment I saw a thread and even a youtube video about a major release like this I knew Nintendo was going to track them down like in Taken.

Vinnk

Look at it this way..

Write your Star Wars fanfic and post text to the internet for free. No one is going to stop you.
Make a Kickstarter to film a "Star Wars Style" sci-fi movie. You should be in the clear.

Now the moment you put up a funding site for your Star Wars Fanfics that uses the Star Wars logo or photos of Han Solo, you can expect a take down.

Put up a Kickstarter with a title like "Going to make a Star Wars spinoff movie" and use some assets there, you won't make it the day.

But I know. I'm a fanboy. Nintendo IP should be free.

Yeah surely Waluigi is Nintendo IP, which forces Nintendo to take it down because, if they didn't, they would lose their rights to that character (and the others that were used). My understanding is that you have to take steps to protect your rights or you lose them.

Nah you can't lose the rights, doing nothing only prevents you from collecting damages from acts of infringement outside of the years of statutory protection but each time they use the copyright is a new act of infringement. Out of IP only Trademarks you can lose the rights to by doing nothing.

Shadowfrosty

Neo Member
You might want to actually research about emulation before spewing bullshit, that would be nice.

There is a crazy amount of irony in this post. Seriously do some research on what you're talking about before insulting other over it because most of what I've heard from people with knowledge in this field of law definitely believe Nintendo is entirely in their legal right to do what they did.

It's fine to disagree with what they're doing but don't start talking out of your ass if you don't want to seem like one.

Instro

They need to figure out a better way to deal with this kind of thing. I mean this is an obvious opportunity for the game to potentially reappear on Twitch or YouTube, which is incredibly useful in driving consumers these days.

Wamb0wneD

There is a crazy amount of irony in this post. Seriously do some research on what you're talking about before insulting other over it because most of what I've heard from people with knowledge in this field of law definitely believe Nintendo is entirely in their legal right to do what they did.

It's fine to disagree with what they're doing but don't start talking out of your ass if you don't want to seem like one.
That poster straight up ignores everything that goes against his narrtive, no use in trying to call him/her out on it. Seems to be gone from this thread anyway.

Top Bottom