• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Takes Down Videos And Patreon From Creator Of Mario 64 Online

You're sarcasm isn't addressing what he was saying.

People are saying that the mod had no Nintendo owned code at all. But the video of the mod had Wario & Waluigi - who aren't in Super Mario 64 (1996). In fact Waluigi first appeared in Mario Tennis in 2000.

That wasn't sarcasm. lol.

WestEgg

The mod is fine, since you need a rom to use it. But trying to make money by using the IP of somebody else, is not!

Exactly, this is what people don't seem to get. As soon as money is at stake, and any kind of Nintendo branding is used in promotion of the product, Even if the product itself does not use Nintendo Assets then Nintendo is obligated to get involved.

nynt9

Yeah surely Waluigi is Nintendo IP, which forces Nintendo to take it down because, if they didn't, they would lose their rights to that character (and the others that were used). My understanding is that you have to take steps to protect your rights or you lose them.

Pretty sure a recent case had lawyers opining that this is kind of a myth and it has never really happened.

Wamb0wneD

So to clarify, you're not actually aware of the nature of the mod to begin with? The part where the user is providing the rom? What do you actually think was distributed?
Something that very strongly resembles Mario 64, where you can play Mario 64 with characters not in Mario 64 that aren't in the mod from the start but that are still made by Nintendo, so it's kinda techincally not Mario 64 and therefore I'm not aware of whats going on and everything is totally legal. I get it. Still don't find it ok.

It didn't. You have no proof or documentation from the developers. At best you completely misread other people's hearsay pre-launch and still conflated that with some kind of official statement.
Alright the part where they were working on it pre-launch was hearsay, they officially stated they'll start working on it day one. (And had something up working in a record setting amount of time, but I guess I'm conflating things). And the fact people argued it was for preservation of a game that barely hit the market is still absurd. I don't doubt a lot of people on this forum, or hell, maybe everyone here who uses CEMU does it for these purposes, or just to have Zelda in a nice resolution. I'm also damn sure that most people don't.

Sami+

If you were a company and someone was using your IP to make money without your consent, what would you do?

Taking down youtube vids wasn't needed, but we know Nintendo has an ass-backwards mindset when it comes to youtube and their property.

I, Mr. Sami Nintendo, the person who is a human who made this Mario character and is just trying to make an honest living with my beloved character I created, would be okay with people doing cool mod shit for video games I personally developed by myself 20 years ago.

Or do you mean if I was an international multi-billion dollar corporation? Because in that case I don't think it fucking matters at all if the guy isn't even doing anything illegal. Going after his content when it's legal anyway is just being a dick for the sake of it.

XandBosch

So? DSfix is also popular because it's a mod for Dark Souls. Your point?

My point is that when people are trying to make money off of other people's IP/creations/whatever, the people who OWN those things to begin with are certainly in the right if they want to put a stop to it. They aren't assholes, they're just practicing business the way they see fit.

Again, people who let this sort of thing happen aren't saints for letting it happen, it's their choice, cool. The same as companies like Nintendo aren't dicks for not letting it happen. It's understandable.

Not the point at all. Point being, it was a dumb and petty move that only serves to make them look foolish.

The only people who look foolish are those who think it's wrong for Nintendo to do this lol. Why is gaming the only area of artistic creation where it's frowned upon?

Metal B

Does Durante has a Patreon page, where he uses Dark Souls images, videos and mentions the IP by name to convince people to give him money?
Nintendo deserves to end like Atari, really wish them the worst.
Wow, people go crazy in here. People and companies allowing others to use their IP to make money is a great exception and not the other way around.

WestEgg

I'd rather Nintendo use there resources to continue to create new experiences like Odysse, rather than remake old ones.

Seconded. Games like Mario 64 and even the original Super Mario Bros. may not have the best graphics of their generation, but because the games are so iconic, the looks of the games have also become iconic, meaning 8 bit and 3D polygon Mario look like Mario, instead of an odd electronic representation of a man.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

DTVZWhs.png

I too wish for the unemployment of 100s of people.

MUnited83

For you.
Let the fans have fun making money off of someone else's creation.

Hey, while I'm at it, why don't I go ahead and record my own guitar part onto each song of Led Zeppelin II, start a patreon to help people pay for the recording gear and who get copies of the album when I'm done, and then once it's all said and done, I'll put it up on YouTube and possibly get ad revenue from it.

Or I could even edit the original Star Wars trilogy to be black and white, ask people to pay me to do it, and then put em' up on YouTube to get ad revenue.

We'll see how song they let that shit happen for lol.
People regularly make money on YouTube making covers of popular songs. Disney has allowed several fan movies of Star Wars to exist and be monetised.
You're talking about Star Wars original trilogy? That's actually fucking hilarious. Harmy's Despecialized Editions, the most famous edit of the original trilogy, actually acknowledged by many to be the definitive version of it... Took donations. And guess fucking what? LucasArts didnt gave a shit.
Try to get better examples next time.
Does Durante has a Patreon page, where he uses Dark Souls images, videos and mentions the IP by name to convince people to give him money?

Wow, people go crazy in here. People and companies allowing others to use their IP to make money is a great exception and not the other way around.
He has his own website, and yes, he mentions the games he fixed by names and posts videos and images of the things he fixed.

The only people who look foolish are those who think it's wrong for Nintendo to do this lol. Why is gaming the only area of artistic creation where it's frowned upon?

Even then, only the larger companies. Whenever Olly Moss' artwork for Firewatch is reused elsewhere without permission the pitchforks come out.

Apparently if you earn a lot of money you revoke your right to control that which you create.

nynt9

Let's approach this from a different angle. There are many Kickstarters for iPhone accessories using iPhone imagery to promote and sell their products. That's generally considered fine.

There are people who accept donations for making mods to software, like Skyrim total conversions. There are people who accept donations to work on emulators.

This is also a mod to SM64. The distributed product has (to my knowledge) no proprietary Nintendo material. He is within his right to make this code and give it away. He can also take donations for writing his own code. Would you be fine if the patreon page didn't show any visual imagery from the game but otherwise the same? How about if it linked to images from other people using the mod? Where do you draw the line?

When can you tell a developer that he can't write his completely original code and receive donations for it? His code uses no IP. Also remember that allowing people to donate to you is not the same thing as asking for money for a product.

The guys rom hack is also adding in features and characters that weren't in any release/version of Super Mario 64 and Nintendo is likely planning to sell the game on Switch when the vc goes up and currently sells it on wii vc and wiiu vc. Nintendo could easily win a legal battle arguing the rom hack is devaluing a game they plan on and are currently selling.

Let's approach this from a different angle. There are many Kickstarters for iPhone accessories using iPhone imagery to promote and sell their products. That's generally considered fine.

There are people who accept donations for making mods to software, like Skyrim total conversions. There are people who accept donations to work on emulators.

This is also a mod to SM64. The distributed product has (to my knowledge) no proprietary Nintendo material. He is within his right to make this code and give it away. He can also take donations for writing his own code. Would you be fine if the patreon page didn't show any visual imagery from the game but otherwise the same? How about if it linked to images from other people using the mod? Where do you draw the line?

When can you tell a developer that he can't write his completely original code and receive donations for it? His code uses no IP. Also remember that allowing people to donate to you is not the same thing as asking for money for a product.

Isn't his code adding in playable characters who never appeared in Mario 64? That alone is using the ip of those characters without permission.

Not the point at all. Point being, it was a dumb and petty move that only serves to make them look foolish.

Right OK, but I'm 99.9% sure that Nintendo's lawyers who went though the legalities and came to this decision did not think

"Hmmm, I wonder if this mod will actually help Nintendo by cultivating excitement around Mario... nah we hate people being excited around Mario close it all down".

The likelihood is how fun, exciting or whatever it is didn't factor into the decision making at all. It's boring lawyers and corporate executives just being boring and doing their job. You can argue that companies should look more into how much fun fans can make with their IP and that's one that could be argued for ages but just coming into a thread like this and saying "Of course, Nintendo doesn't want Mario fans to have fun" is an incredibly childish view of the situation.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I'll add to this by saying DSFix helps Namco Bandai sell the product itself (Dark Souls) whereas this mod (esp. considering the timing) would detract people away from a product Nintendo is trying to sell (Odyssey).

It's not that hard to tell the difference between the two mods. See also: AM2R vs Samus Returns. (To be fair to AM2R the Metroid IP actually looked kinda dead even with Federation Force and they had no way of knowing Samus Returns was in the works).

Futaleufu

Just imagine the review bombs any other company would suffer if they tried to stop a modder from getting donations.

And before you say he was using Nintendo assets to promote his work, let me introduce you to this little unknown page called ModDB.com

MUnited83

For you.
Something that very strongly resembles Mario 64, where you can play Mario 64 with characters not in Mario 64 that aren't in the mod from the start but that are still made by Nintendo, so it's kinda techincally not Mario 64 and therefore I'm not aware of whats going on and everything is totally legal. I get it. Still don't find it ok.

Alright the part where they were working on it pre-launch was hearsay, they officially stated they'll start working on it day one. (And had something up working in a record setting amount of time, but I guess I'm conflating things). And the fact people argued it was for preservation of a game that barely hit the market is still absurd. I don't doubt a lot of people on this forum, or hell, maybe everyone here who uses CEMU does it for these purposes, or just to have Zelda in a nice resolution. I'm also damn sure that most people don't.
You might want to actually research about emulation before spewing bullshit, that would be nice.

Ninja Dom

The guys rom hack is also adding in features and characters that weren't in any release/version of Super Mario 64 and Nintendo is likely planning to sell the game on Switch when the vc goes up and currently sells it on wii vc and wiiu vc. Nintendo could easily win a legal battle arguing the rom hack is devaluing a game they plan on and are currently selling.

Isn't his code adding in playable characters who never appeared in Mario 64? That alone is using the ip of those characters without permission.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make!!

People are in here criticising Nintendo for this but nobody is addressing how Nintendo characters that do not appear in Super Mario 64 are in this mod???

Wamb0wneD

"Hey I made a fanproject of Uptown Funk where I have a slightly different sounding bass in it and you can download the second half of it seperately. Please give me money." "Mark Ronson is an asshole for wanting this to get taken down!"

Exactly the point I'm trying to make!!

People are in here criticising Nintendo for this but nobody is addressing how Nintendo characters that do not appear in Super Mario 64 are in this mod???
It's a plus to them, and because they weren't in Mario 64 before and you have to load them seperately it's not Mario 64 anymore. Or something.

You might want to actually research about emulation before spewing bullshit, that would be nice.
What bullshit am I spewing exactly? Every single person I've ever met in my life who used an emulator didn't have a Nintendo console since the N64 or even earlier, and none of them didn't try out Metroid Prime or Wind Waker. Obviously that's anecdotal but it surely was more than a dozen people. You can go on how legal it is all you want, in my eyes that doesn't make it ok.

XandBosch

People regularly make money on YouTube making covers of popular songs. Disney has allowed several fan movies of Star Wars to exist and be monetised.
You're talking about Star Wars original trilogy? That's actually fucking hilarious. Harmy's Despecialized Editions, the most famous edit of the original trilogy, actually acknowledged by many to be the definitive version of it... Took donations. And guess fucking what? LucasArts didnt gave a shit.
Try to get better examples next time.

He has his own website, and yes, he mentions the games he fixed by names and posts videos and images of the things he fixed.

You're twisting the Harmy editions a little bit to fit your narrative there. He's stressed over and over that they should never be sold or bought, they're only available to download via torrent, and he only ever took donations for a piece of equipment to help him make it. It was never "hey look at these, give me money to help me make them and you can watch them here!" He treaded a fine line, and I guarantee you Disney had their finger on the button throughout that whole thing.

Covers and fan films aren't the same thing as this mod, or video game mods. I specifically said "hey, I'll record myself on top of the album Zeppelin already made" - and that's what's happening here. You're playing Mario 64 with something added into it. The equivalent to a cover video would be like these Unreal demos of Ocarina of Time you see once in a while, and even that's still a bit different because you're seeing the exact same thing that's in the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's a trick:

Using Nintendo stuff results in it being taken down. And by some people's arguments, using someone else's stuff is OK.

So stick to non Nintendo stuff.

Only reason people continue to use Nintendo stuff is because it's guaranteed views. Don't see people clamouring for a remake of Zoop.

MUnited83

For you.
Here's a trick:

Using Nintendo stuff results in it being taken down. And by some people's arguments, using someone else's stuff is OK.

So stick to non Nintendo stuff.

Only reason people continue to use Nintendo stuff is because it's guaranteed views. Don't see people clamouring for a remake of Zoop.
This is a mod, not a remake. There is no "Nintendo stuff" being used here.

Plum

Look at all this use of Bandai Namco's IP.

If the SM64O guy had just put out a blog detailing what the mod did with maybe one or two direct-feed screenshots then maybe you'd have a case here, but he didn't. He decided on using Mario music, art-work, imagery, etc to advertise his work and got stung for it; it'd be like if I used a picture of Mario to advertise my Italian restaraunt or something, you'd bet I'd be getting a C&D in the mail if Nintendo caught wind of it.

I too wish death upon a company for removing the ability of someone to use their IP in generating revenue. All those thousands of employees deserve to lose their jobs for the actions of a few potentially-overzealous copyright lawyers.

This is a mod, not a remake. There is no "Nintendo stuff" being used here.

Good thing Nintendo didn't take down the mod then.

dawgparty

Loving all these "I told you so" remarks. Nobody knew this would happen, you called it! Let's keep shitting on people for their work.

XandBosch

Loving all these "I told you so" remarks. Nobody knew this would happen, you called it! Let's keep shitting on people for their work.

From my point of view, the jedi are evil! creating something off of the back of someone else's work and making money off of it is actually shitting on the original creators.

MUnited83

For you.
You're twisting the Harmy editions a little bit to fit your narrative there. He's stressed over and over that they should never be sold or bought, they're only available to download via torrent, and he only ever took donations for a piece of equipment to help him make it. It was never "hey look at these, give me money to help me make them and you can watch them here!" He treaded a fine line, and I guarantee you Disney had their finger on the button throughout that whole thing.

Covers and fan films aren't the same thing as this mod, or video game mods. I specifically said "hey, I'll record myself on top of the album Zeppelin already made" - and that's what's happening here. You're playing Mario 64 with something added into it. The equivalent to a cover video would be like these Unreal demos of Ocarina of Time you see once in a while, and even that's still a bit different because you're seeing the exact same thing that's in the game.
The mod is not being sold or bought either.
Dude is also only taking donations to further improve the mod
Again, Nintendo has no rights over this.
Should I get shut down by Nintendo if I make a music mod for Super Mario 64 that uses 100% new and original music of my own creation?

XandBosch

The mod is not being sold or bought either.
Dude is also only taking donations to further improve the mod
Should I get shut down by Nintendo if I make a music mod for Super Mario 64 that uses 100% new and original music of my own creation?

That's not even remotely the same thing lmao.

We're done here, dude.

I don't really understand why people get angry with Nintendo for this sort of thing. Other companies LET people mod their shit and use it as their own, they can certainly stop it if they want to as well, they just don't. Nintendo chooses to stop it. Nothing says they should or have to let things like this go.

It's like two apple stands at the market. One of them lets people use their name and apples to put up stands of their own in front of their house, and they don't care if people make money from it. The other stand doesn't like people doing that, they think that if people will be buying their apples, it should be from them, and they should get the profit.

Two different outlooks on business, doesn't mean one is wrong, or one is being more of a dick.

Some people take business decisions as personal slights.

You're genuinely arguing that Nintendo holds no rights to anything in the picture:

If you call it "Super Mario 64 Music", accept money for your efforts directly related to the project and promote it using imagery and characters from Mario? Yes.

RPGam3r

Bringing companies like Bethesda into this conversation as them letting mods happen vs Nintendo not is odd.

Bethesda makes money on you wanting to mod bc you have to buy the base game first. Nintendo is in no equivalent position on the PC, copies of SM64 are either older legal copies people purchased long ago and ripped or otherwise.

Metal B

Does Apple have the right of the imagery of the iPhone? If you would use the Apple logo, then this would be illegal. But the image of an iPhone would be okay (As far as i know, i looked up some article about accessories, where they mention the legally of it.).

When can you tell a developer that he can't write his completely original code and receive donations for it? His code uses no IP.
The mod is fine, that isn't the issue and why Nintendo took it down. You draw the line by show images and mention a protected IP as the main reason, why you should give him money. If he just said "I do mods", this wouldn't have be a problem. But this of course wouldn't have made him the same amount of money as a billion dollar IP everybody knows!

Top Bottom