• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - Review Thread

Karak

Well I'm even more excited to play this. Really, really cool to see ND do something outside of this series' comfort zone and to speculate on what it could mean for another sequel they are making. Giddy.

Ya I DON'T want to spoil it or anything. But, if there is anything I loved its that area. It felt more uncharted than uncharted has in YEARS

SirShandy

I thought the open-ended levels in Uncharted 4 were easily the best parts of an otherwise samey game, and some of the best stuff in the series, so I'm glad to see they took that aspect and ran with it here.

If people are curious about the optional quest in the West Ghats, here are the full details:
you have to find 11 hidden tokens to unlock an extra shrine that grants you a treasure-sensing necklace, which is a huge help of course. Also, monkeys!

It's worth doing it because it gives you extra puzzles/fights. I really wanted to see what it unlocked as well.
omg

collectibles
actually having a purpose. This is such a nice surprise!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think it has ever been a problem for the series and not a single Uncharted game has ever worn out its welcome for me.

Agreed, I have never wanted an UC game to end. I genuinely remember being equal parts awed and saddened when I opened the gates to Shambala in UC2, as I knew the game would be ending soon.

Ya I DON'T want to spoil it or anything. But, if there is anything I loved its that area. It felt more uncharted than uncharted has in YEARS

I feel the same way. That first third of the game and its accompanying area was really fun to play. I hope Naughty Dog continues to expand on the "wide-linear" design.

thuway

This sounds so good. Karak how's the HDR support? Uncharted 4 was rather weak in its HDR implementation. I'm hoping this game turns it up a notch with colors.

Tookay

I don't think it has ever been a problem for the series and not a single Uncharted game has ever worn out its welcome for me.
They certainly have for me. Even UC2's final act goes on and hour or two too long.

A better paced game sounds like a godsend.

lmao, that Kotaku review has some great shots:

x3jhzphv0qu05fbmqvf7.png

qsbttuesivp1weesozoe.png

uf2l4o6owayfaexv2pb3.gif

zjcqouxlowxxlzin8pa4.png

Edit: You can chose the facial expressions in photo mode.

omg

collectibles
actually having a purpose. This is such a nice surprise!

It really is :)

This sounds so good. Karak how's the HDR support? Uncharted 4 was rather weak in that department.

Just my two cents: I think the implementation is fairly standard (nothing mind blowing), but it's still decent. Looking at some screenshots I took (which don't capture HDR), it looks like there are a few places that show up as pitch black in SDR, but are fully visible in HDR.

Karak

Just my two cents: I think the implementation is fairly standard (nothing mind blowing), but it's still decent. Looking at some screenshots I took (which don't capture HDR), it looks like there are a few places that show up as pitch black in SDR, but are fully visible in HDR.

ya its the same implementation as the original which many found wanting in Uncharted 4.
Also Nadine looks hilariously ripped in some parts of the game. Dem shoulders

ya its the same implementation as the original which many found wanting in Uncharted 4.

I still haven't had the chance to play through Uncharted 4 in HDR, but I will give it a go soon, along with 3D audio.

Speaking of which, I couldn't find an option for 3D audio in Lost Legacy. Not sure if it's going to be patched in at some point, but it would be a nice addition.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm surprised. I'm playing Lost Legacy now and finding the HDR to be quite effective. Not mind blowing but still very solid.

You're right, though, that it's identical to the original in terms of implementation.

- Took me 8 hours to beat the game, optional quest in West Ghats included. Since that eats up some time, I’d say it’s about 7 hours for the main quest. Got 55/68 treasures.
- The West Ghats are what Madagascar should have been. There are a bunch of locations to explore and I’d recommend you do the optional quest, even though you might think the reward is disappointing. I loved this entire area and spent yesterday loading it from chapter select and replaying it.
- The game is leaner than most Uncharted games and the pacing is better. There’s still an intro but it’s short and tense.
- There’s a good variation of every Uncharted staple. There are more puzzles than you’d expect and less combat encounters than I expected. Traversal was handled better than U4 imo.
- Villain Asav starts out promising, but [plot spoiler]
turns into a screaming madman anyway near the end. Final fight is also another fistfight.
One of the more disappointing aspects of the game. Villains just aren't Uncharted's strength.
- The finale is pretty exciting. It’s like
a combination of U2’s train sequence and the chase from U4
. I feel like some players may be down on it because it’s essentially nothing new, but I loved it.
- The vistas are spectacular… graphically this is up there with U4.
- Chloe and Nadine may not bring their quip game like Nate and Sully, but it’s nice to see their relationship/trust evolve throughout the mission.
- Overall: this is what I wanted U4 to be in the first place. The game’s biggest strength is its limited length and better pacing. I wanted to replay it immediately after, while I didn’t feel like going through U4 again after it ended.

I would give it an 8/10. This really feels like Uncharted: greatest hits and I'd recommend this game to people new to the series. Gameplay-wise it's a much better experience than U4 for me.

8 Hours for a 40$ game, which is great.
Great locations.
Game is leaner and better paced than most Uncharted.
Traversal better as in 4, good variation of everything Uncharted has to offer.
Finale is pretty exciting.
Vistas spectacular, graphically as good as 4.
Overall, that's what you wanted out of 4 and even wants to replay it immediately.

Gives it 8/10.

What?

UrbanRats

gameplay wise its just a mini uncharted 4

pacing is better because it takes place across a single location, there are no flashback chapters, etc. Very straightforward like UC1 and 2

Sounds good.
Gameplay in U4 was the best in the series, it was just paced in a puzzling way.

Great locations.
Overall, that's what you wanted out of 4 and even wants to replay it immediately.

Gives it 8/10.

What?

8 is a great score, JFC.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm surprised. I'm playing Lost Legacy now and finding the HDR to be quite effective. Not mind blowing but still very solid.

You're right, though, that it's identical to the original in terms of implementation.

There were parts of UC4 that looked amazing in HDR, particularly the beach scenes and Libertalia.

Loudninja

There's never been a more even mix of puzzles, combat, and exploration in the Uncharted series than in The Lost Legacy. While the series has had its share of dry switch-activation chores disguised as puzzles, this game keeps such sections to a minimum. This new batch of quandaries will stump you long enough to make the feeling of solving them rewarding. And sinces these obstacles are visually themed on the Hindu gods that are the focus of the duo's quest, no prior Uncharted experience is necessary to solve these puzzles.
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/uncharted-the-lost-legacy-review/1900-6416735/

Sorry, is this a DLC or a full game? Those are some damn good reviews. Definitely getting this.
Full game.

Great locations.

Gives it 8/10.

What?
Yeah, let's not do this. That's a great score, and his/her opinion. Move on.

Tyaren

I knew some reviewers would deduct points for being "the same old" gameplay, even if it is great. Many even say mechanics and pacing is improved over Uncharted 4, but they still give it significantly lower scores.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sorry, is this a DLC or a full game? Those are some damn good reviews. Definitely getting this.

I say consider this as stand alone DLC similar to InFAMOUS First Light but it has same length as full game. Why I say this is because Lost Legacy is very much using same engine and assets from UC4, even some mechanics like using rope for platforming and combat returns here.

UrbanRats

I knew some reviewers would deduct points for being "the same old" gameplay, even if it is great. Many even say mechanics and pacing is improved over Uncharted 4, but they still give it significantly lower scores.

And that's wrong because? If the gameplay, as good as it is, it's starting to wear on you, you can point it out in your review.

Yeah, let's not do this. That's a great score, and his/her opinion. Move on.

Of course it's his opinion and it's fine. I'm just thinking about how I would react if I would be the developer. Probably doing this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ and scream to the screen "what the f' do you want us to do??"

It's just bizarre that he almost likes everything, says almost everything is better as in 4 and still gives it an 8.

It's fine, his opinion. But it's just bizarre to me. Nothing wrong about that.
Still great to read.

arne

And that's wrong because? If the gameplay, as good as it is, it's starting to wear on you, you can point it out in your review.

My feeling coming out of some conversations a few weeks ago is that some expectation exists for us to innovate or bring something new to the mechanics with each installment. I haven't read through all the reviews yet, so I don't know how pervasive that anecdotal feedback was.

Of course it's his opinion and it's fine. I'm just thinking about how I would react if I would be the developer. Probably doing this: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ and scream to the screen "what the f' do you want us to do??"

It's just bizarre that he almost likes everything, says almost everything is better as in 4 and still gives it an 8.

It's fine, his opinion. But it's just bizarre to me. Nothing wrong about that.
Still great to read.

Only if you are very insecure..

SlickVic

Cool, just wanted to know that a lot of people seem to like it a lot. One of the few games I've managed to avoid most of the pre-release coverage (saw that initial reveal trailer, loved it, and decided not to spoil anything else before playing it) so I'm happy it looks like this is going to be a great experience.

Top Bottom