• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Framing Megan Fox: Lindsay Ellis on Feminist Theory and Transformers

knkng

One of the key points of the who thesis is that folks like Bay decided to completely undercut Fox's character by focusing solely on her looks.

It's pretty funny then that someone's entire engagement with the video is to solely comment on how good looking Fox is.

Of course, Bay is the one who decided to ignore how she was written in the script and packaged her as a "pin-up girl to get your dick hard" and then charged admission for it. It would be great if the Transformers movies were something else entirely, but they're not. I guess it's just kind of an interesting situation to me. Can you blame the people who bought what they were sold?

Even as a comment on this video, which seems out of place, I just don't know. Bay is a piece of shit and should be criticized for his work, but Fox signed on to be exploited in exchange for money (at least initially, I don't know if her opinion on this changed over time). In regards to Fox specifically, would she agree with our position? Or would she rather keep HarryKS's dick hard and collect his money? Who would Fox be more appreciative of?

I kind of see it as two entirely different things. Bay sold us a lemon, but Fox is the lemon (or at least part of it).

JCHandsom

Do you have a link for that? Because this is breaking my mind right now. There has to be more to it than the "joke" right?

On mobile right now, so no link, but it's in episode 6, which is part 2 in her analysis of Transformers through the lens of feminist theory, titled "The Male Gaze vs. The Men".

The point of the card is that it is a common trope in Hollywood films to have a father figure face off against a boyfriend in competition over who "gets" the daughter/girlfriend, just with added creep factor.

It's a way of treating the female character as an object to be fought over so that the male characters get some of good old dramatic conflict.

It is because her framing is from the perspective of Sam's character. She is supposed to unapproachably attractive to give him a huge deficit of confidence and power.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Didn't they develop it?
They are credited as executive producers. This means fuck all, especially with animated shows. Joss Whedon is credited as Executive Producer for Avengers Assemble. Doesn't mean he's ever looked over a script for Disney XD.

Prime was tossed off by disinterested higher ups to some female writers where they developed it into what it was.

Cheerilee

I hate to ask, but does that mean it's terrible or just really mediocre? I want to know this because of reasons.

As for the video: this whole series is great, and I love the constant sneaking in of 'the whole plate' even when it's factually unconnected.
Prime was a great show. Comparing it to Kurtzman and Orci-levels is just cruel.
Hey, ya gotta give credit where credit is due. As Lindsay pointed out, Mikaela in Bayformers 1 was written competently, but then Bay went a ruined her. Kurtzman & Orci were the ones who wrote her. K&O were big fans of the Transformers franchise and wanted to show it a lot more love than Bay was willing to allow. K&O wanted to put Soundwave and motorcycle-Arcee into Bayformers 1, but Bay rejected those two characters because he felt they weren't badass enough. K&O persisted, suggesting that Arcee could be a three-part mini-combiner, so Bay killed her onscreen in Bayformers 2 out of spite.

In Transformers Prime, K&O were freed from Michael Bay, and it might be their best work (even if they did rely on other writers), maybe even the best Transformers cartoon (Beast Wars puts that claim to the test, and by all accounts the modern comics are superior).

Just check out this meeting between K&O's rejected-by-Bay Soundwave and Arcee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWyA7I4G2E8

Characters in Transformers Prime have legitimate characters arcs, many of which are really, really good (I honestly thought Miko was a bad character at the beginning).

Eidan

Another great video from Ellis. I wonder when she'll tackle race and Transformers. She's been dancing around it since episode 1.

Michael Bay

Mikaela Banes

That statutory rape card is an actual thing in one of the movies? WTF?

Between these two things and as someone who hasn't seen the Transformers movies outside of all these clips, sometimes I get the feeling Lindsay is gas-lighting me and all of this nonsense is made up.

Anyway, this episode was really sad and made me feel bad for Megan Fox. I also found out via a stray tweet that she used to self-harm and have low self-esteem. Then I felt worse.

But I do think I should watch these movies... except that is like a 12 hour commitment, and I saw parts of the first one and hated it (and it's supposedly the best???)

Aselith

Between these two things and as someone who hasn't seen the Transformers movies outside of all these clips, sometimes I get the feeling Lindsay is gas-lighting me and all of this nonsense is made up.

Anyway, this episode was really sad and made me feel bad for Megan Fox. I also found out via a stray tweet that she used to self-harm and have low self-esteem. Then I felt worse.

But I do think I should watch these movies... except that is like a 12 hour commitment, and I saw parts of the first one and hated it (and it's supposedly the best???)

The statutory rape thing is the most gobsmacked I've ever been in a movie. Truly a masterwork of fuckery.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I've seen the first three, and the first movie is easily the best of that trilogy. I never bothered with the Mark Wahlberg movies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Just watch until you just don't feel like it. I abandoned these movies after the third one came out.

I can vouch for the first one being "the best" of them though.

jman2050

I've seen the first three, and the first movie is easily the best of that trilogy. I never bothered with the Mark Wahlberg movies.

Transformers 3 is a tough one to gauge because even now despite Sam still being terrible and the plot falling apart as usual I still don't think it's actually all that bad, but outside of a few elements (I still find the portrayal of Chicago's destruction pretty memorable, even if the events happening in that setting were not) it's thoroughly unremarkable. Is that a point in its favor or not? Is the answer to that question affected by whether you judge the movie on its own merits or compared to the other movies? I'm never quite sure.

KarmaCow

On mobile right now, so no link, but it's in episode 6, which is part 2 in her analysis of Transformers through the lens of feminist theory, titled "The Male Gaze vs. The Men".

The point of the card is that it is a common trope in Hollywood films to have a father figure face off against a boyfriend in competition over who "gets" the daughter/girlfriend, just with added creep factor.

It's a way of treating the female character as an object to be fought over so that the male characters get some of good old dramatic conflict.

https://youtu.be/oNkTeHpHj_I?t=306

It's that classic dynamic of father figure not approving the boyfriend the daughter is dating taken to the extreme when the boyfriend pulls out that card to the father as a justification to continue to bang his daughter.

I get that but the extra unnecessary step is still baffling. It's so surreal that seemingly everyone involved didn't think it was insane or at least Bay loved it so much to shut dissent.

Tarydax

Banned
Even though I knew Megan Fox was replaced in the third movie, the part about how Sam went from Mikaela Banes to Carly was still kind of shocking to me. That's just really fucked up.

Cheerilee

Roger Ebert on Bayformers 1 (rated 3/4 stars)
It's goofy fun with a lot of stuff that blows up real good, and it has the grace not only to realize how preposterous it is, but to make that into an asset.

Roger Ebert on Bayformers 2 (rated 1/4 stars)
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments.

I think Ebert was too kind with the first movie, although I can accept that there was something there that the other movies have been lacking. I've spent exactly zero dollars on this franchise since I was suckered into spending money on the first one, and I still feel like I've been ripped off due to the wasted hours of my life that I'll never get back.

I never did get the hate for Megan Fox or her character in Transformers. She was the only thing tolerable in the first film. This video sums up why.

Not sure why people are shocked that Sam's a shitty character. He was easily the worst thing in the movies.

caliph95

I never did get the hate for Megan Fox or her character in Transformers. She was the only thing tolerable in the first film. This video sums up why.

Not sure why people are shocked that Sam's a shitty character. He was easily the worst thing in the movies.
I don't think anyone liked Sam just surprised how bad he actually is

The "Michael Bay is Hitler" one? I guess I didn't realize that had such an effect.

Didn't she make that comment between Transformers 2 and TMNT (which Bay produced)? She kinda fell off (the last big thing she did was be Zooey Deschanel's replacement on The New Girl for a little bit) because once she stopped being a name she didn't have a ton of talent to fall back on to get roles.

Transformers 2 was actually the movie that got me interested in film criticism, because all my friends came out of the theater thinking it was this awesome action-filled great movie, and I came out thinking it was pure shit. And I wanted to find out why and express why my friends and I had such different reactions, and why they kept saying “It’s just a movie, stop taking it so seriously. It’s all about the action!”

From that day forward a new passion was born

caliph95

I mean no one was buying tickets for Megan Fox so I'm not surprised

Anecdotal only thing people talk about how hot she is in high school

lenovox1

Didn't she make that comment between Transformers 2 and TMNT (which Bay produced)? She kinda fell off (the last big thing she did was be Zooey Deschanel's replacement on The New Girl for a little bit) because once she stopped being a name she didn't have a ton of talent to fall back on to get roles.

She slowed down to have and raise her children. She has 3 of them each two years apart all coinciding with her slow years.

MechaX

That statutory rape card is an actual thing in one of the movies? WTF?

I remember seeing Age of Extinction with several friends at the drive through and our minds were blown that Michael Bay decided to stop the entire goddamn movie to talk about Romeo and Juliet laws for 5 minutes.

We were like "... holy fuck just make her 18 and we could have cut this entire scene, holy fucking hell Bay"

Seesaw15

That's nice, but she is also the recipient of male gaze camerawork for like half of her time on-screen.

Yes and I should appreciate Bayonetta's "irony" more too -- except not, because I can actually have an opinion of my own, because I saw the movies and played the games myself.

Nerd culture apologia is never in short supply. I'm glad you found some that was to your liking. No matter how "human" they made her "arc," the camera was mostly interested in something else, and I'm not interested in pawing through garbage in search of plausible deniability.

Frankly, the movie is such underwritten garbage for even the male characters I'm amazed anyone is interested in this conversation. The film itself doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously. Why should we?

Yuuuup.

802.jpg

Great video.

Just confirms to me some don't read the article or watch the videos

This is obvious in any thread longer than 5 posts though.

The display on this first page is much more specific in nature.

And Lindsay Ellis's work on this series should be more popular than Plinkett

Cheerilee

IIRC, it was said that Michael Bay wasn't fazed by the "Hitler" comment, because Michael Bay's a shitty person so he doesn't find it remarkable when people throw shit at him, but Steven Spielberg was upset by the comment, because he expects professionalism from the people he works with, and for some reason he has this thing about Nazis. Spielberg was supposedly the one who insisted that Bay get control over his production and "do something" about Megan Fox.

Fox got the part in TMNT after making her apologies to Bay, but having Steven Spielberg be mad at you is worse for your career than having Michael Bay be mad at you.

Top Bottom