• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up on the official LEGO shop!

Only 150$ CAN which is a nice surprise, I was expecting something closer to 200.

Really bummed that the shop promo to get a free Guardian of the Galaxy ship with every order ends on May 19th though...

Doesn't pop up for me for some reason.

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the right away. Do Ideas sets ever go on sale? I know they're usually only around for a year or so, I just can't remember if they ever get discounted.

The do go on sale sometimes (Caterham was ~$50 at Walmart/Amz this week) if they stick around for a bit. But whether this will go on sale I guess depends on how long Lego might keep it in production.

This seems like such a cool idea at first but also seems like a pretty uninteresting thing to put together.

All the reviews indicate it is a great build!

This seems like such a cool idea at first but also seems like a pretty uninteresting thing to put together.

Nah

This is the inside of a section of the build

img_37777ylkl.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Any reviews showing how the stages connect/separate?

Take a look through this:

Take a look at this:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/

Build review of the set, no new pieces, in fact it uses a lot of old and very common pieces very ingeniously for SNOT connections and its probably the most technically complex set LEGO has released when it comes to Studs Not On Top. There are build technique spoilers in that review but its amazing how they made it all round.

The fact that the piece count is so cheap at .06 cents a brick also alludes to the fact that many of the bricks are common pieces thus not expensive to make.

I don't think this is LEGO store exclusive, right?

I really want to buy this on Amazon (5% refund with my Amazon card), but if they don't have it day one, it'll be hard for me to stop myself from buying it through shop.lego.com, or even just going to the nearby LEGO store and getting it there.

owlbeak

This is rad, I am definitely getting this as a huge fan of space and the Apollo program! Will be my first lego set since....I can't even remember when.

elfinke

$169 dollarydoos here in Australia, which is $30 less than what I had budgeted.

Awesome, will now also pick up two speed champions with the savings!

KillerAJD

Yup, definitely getting this! Haven't ever bought a Lego set for myself, so this seems like a good first step! Will go along nicely with my 3d printed Saturn V and a snap together ~3ft tall Saturn V I got for my birthday 15 years ago.

bremon

I am more excited for this than any known LEGO release this year, save for the UCS Falcon.

Day 1.
This is the first I've read of this new UCS Falcon and will be the first set I purchase in a couple years. Omg. Tie Fighter and Snowspeeder are already things I need to speed walk past in the mall.

DonShula

Guys I wasn't planning on this one but now I feel like I must buy it. I'm already swimming in sets I don't have enough room for.

Plum

This looks like a perfect set for me. I've got a lot of excess height in my house to display stuff but not much in terms of square-feet. Gonna be so much easier to display this than it will be for the UCS Falcon coming out.

will this be in stores?
Not sure, Ideas sets are usually sold at places like Barnes and Noble, but I can't remember if I've seen them at places like Walmart or Target or whatever.

This'll be a pretty large box set too, so I'd be surprised if a place like Barnes and Noble would get very many if them.

I'm sure it'll be on other online stores like Amazon, but maybe not on day 1. I want to use my Amazon card to get 5% back on it, but I also want to get it right away, so I'm not sure what to do, haha.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah that's my take, too. It's just a big tube, what a bor--

Nah

This is the inside of a section of the build

https://abload.de/img/img_37777ylkl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Oh. Oh wait.

[quote="xxracerxx, post: 236534859"]Holy fuck, how did I not know this is 39 inches tall?[/QUOTE]

Bought!

Urgh, ok not a lego fan in fact I haven't touched lego for 36 years (I was 10 years old when I last messed with lego). I don't have the space for this model, no where to display it. Hell I wouldn't even say I have that much of a thing for the Saturn V5 rocket either.

But damn I want this, I seriously seriously seriously want this and I don't know why :-/ Ah well I have a few weeks yet hopefully I can talk myself out of getting it. Hopefully it will get sold out so I don't have to rely on will power alone. I honestly do not know why I want this thing but it is fucking cool.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah I just ordered too, even though I was kind of disappointed when I learned that it's kinda wobbly when displayed vertically. That's the only way I have room for it, so I guess I'll just try and reinforce it somehow.

Dead Man

So does anyone have an idea for the best way to order this in Australia? Shipping from the US to here tends to be more than the cost of the item.

wetwired

So does anyone have an idea for the best way to order this in Australia? Shipping from the US to here tends to be more than the cost of the item.

If you're in the Melbourne or Brisbane/Gold Coast it'll be in store at the Chadstone and Dreamworld LEGO stores respectively when it's released next month.

Alternatively you could buy from shop.lego.com

You'd have to spend another $30 to get free postage but it'd probably work out cheaper than buying from elsewhere and paying postage on it as the box is huge.

It will be on Lego's online shop, shop.lego.com, so it should have free shipping from there. Don't know how prices work out down there though.

Edit: oh, Australia doesn't have free shipping at around €70?

hirokazu

Lego.com has free shipping to Australia for orders over $200, if you're up for adding something else to your order along with the Apollo. I've just checked and it's still listed as Coming Soon though.

Yeah, the free shipping quota is ridiculous when it's only $50 or something to get free shipping to the US.

Dead Man

Lego.com has free shipping to Australia for orders over $200, if you're up for adding something else to your order along with the Apollo. I've just checked and it's still listed as Coming Soon though.

Yeah, the free shipping quota is ridiculous when it's only $50 or something to get free shipping to the US.
Thanks all. Sounds I'll make the sacrifice and find another set I want. The horror. But yeah, that does sound quite a bit more than the US free shipping.

Y'all missed the fun in the LEGO thread. Ordered over a week ago from BN in store and built it last week.

Copy of my post from that thread:

Oh, it is so nice and imposing on display. There are no real moments of "I never thought to use that piece like THAT before!" in the build, which many Jamie Berard modulars have. However, this set is filled with lots of putting parts in with clips to achieve curves or weird angles, like the best stuff Mike Psiaki has done before (Blue Power Jet, Beetle, Ferrari). I don't know which parts which designer contributed to, but the parts being inserted to get the curves reeks of Psiaki.

This set, however, is the "You know NOTHING about SNOT work, Jon Snow!" set. There are studs going in every direction for most of the build, and the clip connections for each stage just further enhance it. The whole thing just feels solid as hell, and doesn't feel like there is an stud of wasted space.

There is a lot of repetition in the set, as expected with something like this, but never does it feel tedious like with Tower Bridge or Big Ben (and I am a defender of the repetition in those sets, as repetition is what gives you those sweet textures on the sets). They keep the build varied enough as it goes to keep you on your toes. Once you get to the second and third stages of the rocket, it does feel like you are retreading familiar territory, but the build is slightly smaller and different enough to feel new.

Such a beautiful, wonderful set when done. I will admit my lifelong love of NASA and the space program is clouding my judgement on this, but this is the kind of thing I dreamed about having as a kid.

Now if only LEGO would make a launch platform for it. And I still think they should do a Creator Expert/UCS style NASA set every year. Heck, make profits from it go to fund space programs or science programs in the world. It would be a huge hit. I just want more. A lot more like this.

Bonus shot showing just how massive the set is. It is next to Disney Castle, but on a lower shelf (next to a Nintendo Switch) to put things in perspective.

Oh, and if LEGO can make high quality printed parts on a $120 set, why the hell can't they just make printed parts on $200+ UCS sets or Creator Expert sets? I am paying a premium, and I want premium parts. This set just feels premium the entire time, and at a fraction of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom