• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Not a fan of highly custom Lego pieces and that model seems to be nothing but custom pieces.

I don't see anything that's unusual. Heck, it's derived from an Ideas submission, which would inherently be built from existing pieces.

What it might be is that these pieces have been repurposed in ways that make them look brand-new - there's some lovely lanterns on the Disney Castle where one key component is an upside-down Witch-King of Angmar crown!

Edit: On the subject of printing, I can't unsee a face on the LEM.

Orbis

This is very dangerous given my love of both Lego and the Apollo Program.There is a 98% chance I end up getting this.

Oozer3993

Cross posted from the LEGO OT:

When I was in grade school, over 20 years ago, I wrote the LEGO Corporation a letter saying they should make a Saturn V. I got a letter back saying "thanks for the letter, but we're not doing it." I am losing my mind right now. I am buying at least 1. I might do two and put one on my desk at work. I'm so damn excited!

I have the earlier LEGO Saturn V on my desk at home right now. But I always wanted one that did staging.

Woorloog

Banned
Why are Lego sets so damn expensive?

Per piece price, which is often used for Lego set price comparisons is actually pretty low here, about 6 cents per piece (average is about 10 cents per piece).

So, this is something of a bargain really...

orava

xnklO1E.gif

No preorders, although some big sets go up for VIP orders two weeks earlier.

As for availability, it's very different with Ideas sets. Sometimes they stick around for years (Ghostbusters), sometimes they get discontinued within a few months (Research Institute, Curiosity Rover). It's very hard to tell, so I would jump on them as soon as possible. Also, Ideas sets are generally limited to Lego stores or the online shop, so there's not much shopping around to be done.

June is going to be expensive with this and the Carousel releasing on the 1st. And I was going to grab some normal new sets too - guess those will wait.

Looks fantastic!

I hope it's still available when I'm allowed to buy Lego again.

I've been on a self imposed hiatus since 2014.

Men, as much as I live space stuff and Saturn looks incredible I don't think I will get it (at least not this year). It will take a lot of space despite its low foot print and I want Old Fishing House, maybe the carrousel and there are a lot of sets still in production that I need.

Gero

Why am I just now finding out there was a Lego space shuttle!? I do want this too!! But man, I also want some Lego Star Wars sets... particularly the Y-wing and X-wing sets.

elfinke

There's a review out. No Stickers!

Nice. Had to measure my shelving to see if there is room for a 1m tall object... Gonna be tight! May have to display it in its individual stages instead, which will still look awesome next to Discovery.

Can't wait.

Syncytia

Bought. Probably will buy two sets.

Oh my god I hadn't noticed those nanofigs before.

Amazing.

Between this and the 75192 rumors I'm in trouble.

No way. I didn't know such rumors about lego sets existed... I will probably buy two of those. I missed out on the Star Destroyer when it was discontinued, same with the Millennium Falcon and I've been mad at myself ever since.

Ryuuroden

Not a fan of highly custom Lego pieces and that model seems to be nothing but custom pieces.

Take a look at this:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/

Build review of the set, no new pieces, in fact it uses a lot of old and very common pieces very ingeniously for SNOT connections and its probably the most technically complex set LEGO has released when it comes to Studs Not On Top. There are build technique spoilers in that review but its amazing how they made it all round.

The fact that the piece count is so cheap at .06 cents a brick also alludes to the fact that many of the bricks are common pieces thus not expensive to make.

elfinke

Take a look at this:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/05/10/go-launch-lego-ideas-21309-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-review/

Build review of the set, no new pieces, in fact it uses a lot of old and very common pieces very ingeniously for SNOT connections and its probably the most technically complex set LEGO has released when it comes to Studs Not On Top. There are build technique spoilers in that review but its amazing how they made it all round.

The fact that the piece count is so cheap at .06 cents a brick also alludes to the fact that many of the bricks are common pieces thus not expensive to make.

Indeed. Spoiler re the build from that review:
the use of the 2x1 green with bar piece is awesome, something I've done heaps of times myself and always thought it was a little hacky, but now that it is an official step in a build, well, I feel rather vindicated!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
1. Go to a local retailer and ask for the price.

2. Realise how many dollary-doos legos cost in Australia.

3. Try not to cry.

4. Cry a lot.

I don't see what the problem is here. If its so expensive there, just cross the border and buy it elsewhere. Solved.

:)

suaveric

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying the right away. Do Ideas sets ever go on sale? I know they're usually only around for a year or so, I just can't remember if they ever get discounted.

DBT85

It has been decided that at least 2 sets will be bought, one for myself and one for my dad.

I'm undecided on whether I buy another to hide in a cupboard for 10 years.

Megasoum

Banned
It's up on the official LEGO shop!

Only 150$ CAN which is a nice surprise, I was expecting something closer to 200.

Really bummed that the shop promo to get a free Guardian of the Galaxy ship with every order ends on May 19th though...

Maddog

It's up on the official LEGO shop!

Only 150$ CAN which is a nice surprise, I was expecting something closer to 200.

Really bummed that the shop promo to get a free Guardian of the Galaxy ship with every order ends on May 19th though...

I bought that ship for $4 at Toys R Us in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom