• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos Reportedly Refused To Perform With Drag Queens On ‘SNL’ K Perry performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgeton

This plus Trump's ridiculous budget are ruffling my feathers today Gaf:

Source: http://www.towleroad.com/2017/05/migos-reportedly-refused-perform-drag-queens-snl/

Appearing on the May 20 episode of ”SNL," the group teamed up with Perry to perform the song ”Bon Appétit" but reportedly had a problem with the drag queens who were a part of Perry's performances.

"There were initially more drag queens on the set for that song, but after Migos threw a fit, Katy Perry's team removed some of the queens from the performance. Additionally, Katy Perry didn't invite any of the queens to the afterparty... So, none of them were allowed in."

Katy Perry posits herself as some sort of LGBTQ savior, but drops them at a moment's notice. Migos (I really have no idea who they are) were in hot water for some homophobic comments, but KP still chose to work with them.

Yet another example of a cisgender white heterosexual using the culture of a disenfranchised people to line their wallets. I'm fine with never hearing another garbage song by these performers ever again.

It's nothing new in this industry, I know, but to see it so shamelessly played out on national TV in the year of our lord 2017 really bothers me.

It's exploitation framed as celebration, and I am not here for it. Nor should any LGBTQ person. Enough is enough.

What say you, Gaf?

Edit: Migos refutes the story http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/23/migos/

Bronx-Man

Banned
Not a good look considering Quavo already got in hot water for the shit he said about Makkonen. These dudes need to fuck off with this stuff.

see5harp

I'll believe it when I hear it from them. It's hard to imagine they would even make a fuss over this after they've already been raked over the coals for questionable statements already.

KNT-Zero

I wonder what kind of "rapper power" these people have, in order to get Perry to choose them to collaborate on her song. And it's not like their part in Bon Appetit is lyrical heaven, TBH.

Socivol

I wonder what kind of "rapper power" these people have, in order to get Perry to choose them to collaborate on her song. And it's not like their part in Bon Appetit is lyrical heaven, TBH.

They just had the #1 Hot 100 single earlier this year. She was trying to do the whole use a hot rapper to guarantee a hit thing that artists do. Unfortunately for her the song sucks with or without them but she also alienated her own fans by choosing homophobic rappers.

Homophobic rappers, who's heard of suck a thing?

Really though it's a bad look for Katy Perry, she really shouldn't have worked with these guys.

LionPride

Banned
You wanna know who I ain't holding up as a bastion of progession in regards to LGBT shit and well anything? Migos.

Not Offset, not Takeoff, not Quavo. Is it a surprise that three niggas from Atlanta ain't exactly LGBT friendly?

That shit about protecting their image was dumb though, you did a performance with Katy "Turning into Miley Cyrus" Perry where she was the most stereotypical whitest person doin the ugliest dab in history.

Also saying this a bad look for Katy? Don't forget she's gotten in trouble for saying nigga, and the Obama joke recently.

This plus Trump’s ridiculous budget are ruffling my feathers today Gaf:

Source: http://www.towleroad.com/2017/05/migos-reportedly-refused-perform-drag-queens-snl/

Katy Perry posits herself as some sort of LGBTQ savior, but drops them at a moment’s notice. Migos (I really have no idea who they are) were in hot water for some homophobic comments, but KP still chose to work with them.

Yet another example of a cisgender white heterosexual using the culture of a disenfranchised people to line their wallets. I’m fine with never hearing another garbage song by these performers ever again.

It’s nothing new in this industry, I know, but to see it so shamelessly played out on national TV in the year of our lord 2017 really bothers me.

It’s exploitation framed as celebration, and I am not here for it. Nor should any LGBTQ person. Enough is enough.

What say you, Gaf?

KP isn't queer? I thought she kissed a girl and liked it?

lol.

Katy Perry went to Migos, not the other way around. She needed black artists/black culture to make her shit pop so she went to one of the hottest groups in the game currently. Migos don't need a Katy Perry in any capacity.

With that stated, Migos really need to educate themselves on their LGBTphobia. Katy? Ain't no shock with her, she wears a veneer of being some progressive woman but really at the end of the day will bum off any culture for a come up. She ain't never been a ally to them LGBTQ folks, I dunno why many of them continue to delude themselves into thinking she is because she penned a song that tapped into straight men's fantasies about seeing two women go at it.

Kinyou

I could see why cancelling a performance would be difficult and thats why you might give in but this:

Additionally, Katy Perry didn’t invite any of the queens to the afterparty… So, none of them were allowed in.”
Sounds really shitty.

perry has always had, in my opinion, an awkward relationship with the LGBTQ community. her breakthrough song was a flirtation with lesbian imagery aimed at straight men and she had a song called 'ur so gay' with some pretty abhorrent lyrics.
i've not followed her work short of hearing her singles though, so i don't know if she's reached out and been accepted by the community at large. the story in question is not good though.

jorgeton

KP isn't queer? I thought she kissed a girl and liked it?

Lol :(

Don't get me started on that gay-baiting mess of a "song."

Her history with LGBTQ content is suspect at best.

Us queer folks need to stop giving her (and all other artists trying to pull this shit) a pass because her music has a beat and is catchy or whatever.

KNT-Zero

They just had the #1 Hot 100 single earlier this year. She was trying to do the whole use a hot rapper to guarantee a hit thing that artists do. Unfortunately for her the song sucks with or without them but she also alienated her own fans by choosing homophobic rappers.

Huh, did not know that, my knowledge of rap equals that of politics by Trump, lol.

lol.

Katy Perry went to Migos, not the other way around. She needed black artists/black culture to make her shit pop so she went to one of the hottest groups in the game currently. Migos don't need a Katy Perry in any capacity.

Yeah, that I assumed. But only choosing them because of their current popularity without checking their stance on LGBT issues...seems like a move their label would do, not her.

Dabanton

Migos are hot and Katy Perry seems to like shedding her lilywhite image and have rappers feature on her songs it's a win/ win for her and them.

Until she does a 'Miley' at some point.

Huh, did not know that, my knowledge of rap equals that of politics by Trump, lol.

Yeah, that I assumed. But only choosing them because of their current popularity without checking their stance on LGBT issues...seems like a move their label would do, not her.

Well I mean let's be honest here. Katy Perry really ain't no ally in any capacity to LGBT. She's a culture vulture.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What's weird to me is the issue was the number of drag queens. So they weren't completely eliminated from the performance, but some were okay? At what number was their masculinity compromised at, I wonder.

LionPride

Banned
I do wonder how much longer Katy can get away with this shit before it all comes crashing down on her. She keeps slippin up and recovering, soon she won't be able to recover.

She'll pull a Miley on using us to change her image then go back to a "safe" image when she's done using us. Can't wait.

Smokey

You wanna know who I ain't holding up as a bastion of progession in regards to LGBT shit and well anything? Migos.

Not Offset, not Takeoff, not Quavo. Is it a surprise that three niggas from Atlanta ain't exactly LGBT friendly?

That shit about protecting their image was dumb though, you did a performance with Katy "Turning into Miley Cyrus" Perry where she was the most stereotypical whitest person doin the ugliest dab in history.

Also saying this a bad look for Katy? Don't forget she's gotten in trouble for saying nigga, and the Obama joke recently.

facts

they need to be more aware of this stuff tho, especially now that they've really blown up

I knew something about her recently seemed Deja Vu-ish

Ominym

Banned
What's weird to me is the issue was the number of drag queens. So they weren't completely eliminated from the performance, but some were okay? At what number was their masculinity compromised at, I wonder.
I'm just going to guess and say that Migos either wanted none, and had to compromise. Or they simply didn't want to be "surrounded" by them. Because, you know, reasons.

Homophobia in the rap game, well I never. What fucking losers. Katy was wrong for working with hacks like them. Then again, post-2013 Katy is a hack herself.
six and a half.
the full seven was enough to make their peepees feel threatened.

Not surprised. Still disappointed. Come the fuck on Migos. Your music is fire. Just shut the fuck up, make music and lose the homophobia.

I do wonder how much longer Katy can get away with this shit before it all comes crashing down on her. She keeps slippin up and recovering, soon she won't be able to recover.

She'll pull a Miley on using us to change her image then go back to a "safe" image when she's done using us. Can't wait.

She's white, so I imagine forever.

conpfreak

This. Her career's rise is based on exploiting LGBTQ people for her own gain.

And now she's moved on to exploiting black culture (again). Also, Migos has been homophobic. After that Makonnen incident, Quavo said he can't possibly be homophobic because be recorded a song with Frank Ocean. That's as problematic as the "I have black friends" excuse. The stuff he said about Makonnen let me know instantly he was homophobic.

RootCause

Is there a list of performers that didn't recover from shitty actions? It seems people like Swift, Katy, and other performers are untouchable.

KingV

Not surprised. Still disappointed. Come the fuck on Migos. Your music is fire. Just shut the fuck up, make music and lose the homophobia.

Their music itself is highly misogynistic, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to be sympathetic to gay right.

Barzul

Migos are pretty dumb. Sure I like their music but they've never struck as being particularly brilliant. Their homophobia is also pretty well established. Not surprised by KP either.

Meowster

She's been doing pretty poorly this album run and it seems like the media is turning on her fast. Unlike Miley Cyrus though, Katy Perry can't sing to save her life so something like Malibu couldn't save her. She should have known better than to work with them.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I mean that's true, but it's still shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom