• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos Reportedly Refused To Perform With Drag Queens On ‘SNL’ K Perry performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2xxx

Banned
I will never understand how so many rappers in the entertainment industry can be homophobic.

You just gotta understand the culture that most of these rappers come from. It's hyper masculine and not very LGBT friendly , but like the majority of all American subcultures, its progressing in the right direction.

mantidor

I don't understand why all these artists are popular and not real musicians like Tool. They should be on SNL and Super Bowl halftime shows.

Guys this is sarcasm obviously....

Right?

I'm a big Tool fan and despise most pop and rap and this is too cringey to not be sarcasm.

You just gotta understand the culture that most of these rappers come from. It's hyper masculine and not very LGBT friendly , but like the majority of all American subcultures, its progressing in the right direction.

Why do we gotta understand the culture? Sounds exactly like the defense for flying the Confederate flag. The "it's part of their culture" excuse is BS to the highest degree.

Why do we gotta understand the culture? Sounds exactly like the defense for flying the Confederate flag. The "it's part of their culture" excuse is BS to the highest degree.
That's a ridiculous comparison. Rap's origin comes from the streets, Migos are street dudes. Do i need to point out why where they are from is impoverished, violent and hypermasculine? And Christianity, slavery, and colonialism did a # on black sexual expression and outside the box thinking.

There are plenty Black LGBTQ people and Black hetero allies doing the work and trying to school people. Blacks in general are slowly heading in that direction. I don't appreciate the tsk'ing from liberal outsiders whose ancestors are responsible for us being behind when it comes to sexuality in the first place.

Migos are homophobic idiots. I find bigger fault lies with Katy Perry. There's a chance she read their previous comments and she still did music with them and tossed her performers under the bus. Gay and Black people are stage props for her.

sh4mike

Interesting how the younger generation appears increasingly willing to ignore media based on the personality of the artist. I feel that my generation (born 1975) was brought up to ideally ignore all aspects of the artist outside their art, something akin to "pick music based on how it sounds rather than a cool music video."

This perhaps resembles a similar anthem of our time to be "colorblind", which is similarly unpopular today.

I think part of the "colorblind" movement was to allow people to be who they were, not necessarily supporting their opinion but not putting a large wall around them. Taking these rappers as an example, I would have a conversation with them to understand why they feel that way, and I might bring up some alternative ways to think about things based on my experience and upbringing, but I wouldn't push them to change. Seems kids today wouldn't have that conversation, preferring a more confrontational "join my opinion or suffer."

Fascinating times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nah, it'll catch up to her eventually. It always does.
Does it though? I'm struggling to come up with something from recent memory.

Who the hell is the third person lmao.

lol, I have no clue who bottom left is though

this is the real question here - nothing else about this is the least bit sensational or surprising... but like 3 star power get recognized anywhere motherfuckers and a solid

http://i.imgur.com/U5Yw4gF.gif[img][/QUOTE]
This girl

[url]https://www.instagram.com/p/-zGfOuOPDA/?taken-by=yesjulz&hl=en[/url]

[quote="the_batman, post: 237817134"]Isn't she a Trump supporter? Of course she'd be a hypicrital scumbag.
[/QUOTE]
Damn, don't be so quick to bring out those pitchforks.

That's a ridiculous comparison. Rap's origin comes from the streets, Migos are street dudes. Do i need to point out why where they are from is impoverished, violent and hypermasculine? And Christianity, slavery, and colonialism did a # on black sexual expression and outside the box thinking.

There are plenty Black LGBTQ people and Black hetero allies doing the work and trying to school people. Blacks in general are slowly heading in that direction. I don't appreciate the tsk'ing from liberal outsiders whose ancestors are responsible for us being behind when it comes to sexuality in the first place.

Migos are homophobic idiots. I find bigger fault lies with Katy Perry. There's a chance she read their previous comments and she still did music with them and tossed her performers under the bus. Gay and Black people are stage props for her.
Nail on the head, and it's transparent as all hell.

Also,

https://twitter.com/daysafterodeo/status/866276686739984386

It's great how many people in here are trying to move the story over to Katy Perry appropriating black and gay culture over the people refusing to play with drag queens on stage. That's a conversation worth having, but it's pretty obvious that people are trying to ignore the shitty things the artists they like are doing.

azyless

I don't even know who Migos are and I guess now I don't want to know. Dickheads.

Perry has been profiting off LGBT and ethnic minorities for like a decade now so no surprise.

KingV

Their music like lots of popular music is misogynistic. Kanye makes misogynistic music. So does Drake. Doesn't mean I expect them to publically be total assholes about gay rights.

If you are expecting Migos to be woke on any issue you're setting yourself up for disappointment. You can tell they're mad ignorant listening to any of their popular songs for more than 30 seconds.

It's like expecting Trump to make sense or something. Their music is catchy but they are no more woke than OJ da Juiceman.

see5harp

Hey at the very least we can give Katy perry or max Martin or dr Luke credit for getting juicy j to rap a verse that actually follows the concept of the actual song and isn't about getting his dick sucked by a stripper. I figure that's true progress.

RedHill

Banned

The year is 2017 and LGBT rights are a prominent issue and these people are famous. There is no excuse for them to lack education and say gross fucking things. Where is their damn publicist???

Perry's new persona is such a fake corporate marketing ploy to make her stand out instead of have her rehash the same stuff for another 3 years(or however long an album cycle is).

Everything she publicly boasts she stands for is clearly fake and orchestrated as hell. Theres nothing about what she's been doing over the past couple months that seems remotely genuine. Its like the higher ups at the studio saw a lull with Gaga and Miley so they thought Perry could take that market. At least when Gaga was in the headlines it seemed(and still does) like she legit cared. Not saying Perry doesn't actually care, but to the extent she's publicizing it it's marketing.

tldr; Perry's new look extremely fake

Hey at the very least we can give Katy perry or max Martin or dr Luke credit for getting juicy j to rap a verse that actually follows the concept of the actual song and isn't about getting his dick sucked by a stripper. I figure that's true progress.
The fact that Juicy's trademark "yeah hoe" background vocal was dropped from that verse was a herculean display of restraint.

Interesting how the younger generation appears increasingly willing to ignore media based on the personality of the artist. I feel that my generation (born 1975) was brought up to ideally ignore all aspects of the artist outside their art, something akin to "pick music based on how it sounds rather than a cool music video."

This perhaps resembles a similar anthem of our time to be "colorblind", which is similarly unpopular today.

I think part of the "colorblind" movement was to allow people to be who they were, not necessarily supporting their opinion but not putting a large wall around them. Taking these rappers as an example, I would have a conversation with them to understand why they feel that way, and I might bring up some alternative ways to think about things based on my experience and upbringing, but I wouldn't push them to change. Seems kids today wouldn't have that conversation, preferring a more confrontational "join my opinion or suffer."

Fascinating times.

You're giving far too much credit to "your generation" in this regard. I doubt anyone was really brought up being told to separate an artist from their personal life, it's more that you didn't know jack shit about their personal life and how shitty some of them are, especially as a young guy who wouldn't even look at a tabloid at the time

Your last paragraph is just trash. Can't even tell if it's serious or not

Rayis

Well, their loss, Miley did it first anyway, so Katy is copying Miley. Rap being problematic will always be a point against it.

RinsFury

Migos can go to hell and I will be changing the channel/station whenever Katy Perry comes on from now on as well. Katy Perry has the clout to stand up to that bigotry if she wanted to, so disappointing.

Ivan 3414

The year is 2017 and LGBT rights are a prominent issue and these people are famous. There is no excuse for them to lack education and say gross fucking things. Where is their damn publicist???

Fact is, Migos are popular now and have entered the mainstream sphere. They are grown ass men responsible for their actions and they should be taken to task for this homophobic shit. It's not acceptable and it doesn't matter where the fuck they came from. You don't get to be on some hateful shit as damn near pop icons, and not get deserved blowback.

Migos can go to hell and I will be changing the channel/station whenever Katy Perry comes on from now on as well. Katy Perry has the clout to stand up to that bigot if she wanted to, so disappointing.
Migos is not a cool guy. Eh hates drag queens and afraids of everything.

Katy Perry is top 20 garbage just like Kanye or Lady Gaga.

They are fucking garbage, should never be posited as art in any conversation, and largely only care about money and fame.

Damn shame what happened, but what do you expect from people like that.

Budi

Who are Amigos are they Mexican lol right guys it's not like they had the number one song in America.

I've never heard of them, I'm not American though. And I wish I will never hear about them again if what I've read here is true. Katy Perry should had stood up on this, but I guess the orders how to act comes from the producers. Is there anything genuine in her public persona?

Kwixotik

It's her fault for not collaborating with
YOUNG "no such thing as gender" THUGGA
instead. Then she could have avoided this whole fiasco.

double_1_xly3fz.jpg

Way to prove my point.

Lol, sure. I'm sorry it's just a trash statement to degrade younger generations while trying hard to uplift yourself as some 'woke' individual above it all. I'm sure you've sat down with many bigots and hate-mongers and changed their mind easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom