• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Migos Reportedly Refused To Perform With Drag Queens On ‘SNL’ K Perry performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have kept the drag queens and lost Migos. If they can't perform with drag queens they can go perform somewhere else.

LionPride

Banned
Should have kept the drag queens and lost Migos. If they can't perform with drag queens they can go perform somewhere else.
Katy came to Migos. One of them needs the other significantly more than the other. Migos ain't gotta try and do this crossover shit with her. She came to them to "blacken up" her image as some stars are one to do.

CHC

Sound like a bunch of whiny assholes, guys who got lucky with some popular shit overnight and now think they're some gods.

I'm glad I already think they suck so I don't have to worry about any kind of dilemma here.

LionPride

Banned
Sound like a bunch of whiny assholes, guys who got lucky with some popular shit overnight and now think they're some gods.

I'm glad I already think they suck so I don't have to worry about any kind of dilemma here.
They've been working for 5 years now having a popular single since 2012 I believe. They ain't get popular overnight.

LmSY0w1.jpg

Yet another example of a cisgender white heterosexual using the culture of a disenfranchised people to line their wallets.

I'm getting sick of hearing people apply the shitty choices of individuals to whole groups. It only helps to demonise one group in the minds of another.

Migos have been around forever, unless you mean got lucky with white folks overnight then yea that's pretty accurate actually, though I'm not even sure why Bad & Boujee is the song of all their songs that got popular with white America.

Who the hell is the third person lmao.

I don't like this comparing her to Miley slander...Miley can actually sing. She's more like Miley Cyrus's sister who can't sing and seemingly wants to rap

Nephtis

No idea who Migos is and I don't give a single flying fuck about them. So, whatever.

Katy Perry allowing this shit to happen is ridiculous and I hope it ends up with her losing money in the end (fans not going to her concert, people not buying her music, etc). You don't go building an image like she has and then drop the drag queens like it was nothing because some bigots felt "uncomfortable". fuck those pieces of shit.

Their music itself is highly misogynistic, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to be sympathetic to gay right.

Their music like lots of popular music is misogynistic. Kanye makes misogynistic music. So does Drake. Doesn't mean I expect them to publically be total assholes about gay rights.

Expected from The Migos, they aren't the most open minded individuals and are very religious.
They managed to skate by the Makkoen incident with relative ease, but I wonder whether they'll be able to tank this.
I'm rooting for evolution on their part but it doesn't seem likely.

LionPride

Banned
They both fucked up
Agreed. But like I said, Katy keeps slippin up, it'll catch up to her eventually. With Migos, given how rap is, it's unlikely for them to change they minds in the future. At least until folks like Uzi and Thug are actually accepted for who they are. Or when Frank is accepted by the majority of rappers. Or any small step.

CHC

They've been working for 5 years now having a popular single since 2012 I believe. They ain't get popular overnight.

Migos have been around forever, unless you mean got lucky with white folks overnight then yea that's pretty accurate actually, though I'm not even sure why Bad & Boujee is the song of all their songs that got popular with white America.

Not talking about how long they have actually been around. Their shit from 2015 has ~20 million views on YouTube (who knows how many are recent, too). Bad & Boujee has 375 million.

That's not like a... slow and steady ascent. They exploded with that song and it sounds like it went to their heads.

Katy came to Migos. One of them needs the other significantly more than the other. Migos ain't gotta try and do this crossover shit with her. She came to them to "blacken up" her image as some stars are one to do.

Is that a joke?

Katy Perry can sneeze into a microphone, give the file a name, and sell more than Migos ever will in their lives.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty amazing how it's become the genre for liberals.

I for one am shocked Migos did this. Pillars and role models that they are.

I for one get my liberal music fix from indie trash thank you very much.

And besides Conservative music is misogynistic country and hard Rock. Both sides got trash, but I suppose liberals digging rap with shitty lyrics are being more hypocritical.

Agreed. But like I said, Katy keeps slippin up, it'll catch up to her eventually. With Migos, given how rap is, it's unlikely for them to change they minds in the future. At least until folks like Uzi and Thug are actually accepted for who they are. Or when Frank is accepted by the majority of rappers. Or any small step.

Is Frank not accepted in the rap circle? I'd figure he would be an exception, not that it would be a good thing.

I for one get my liberal music fix from indie trash thank you very much.

And besides Conservative music is misogynistic country and hard Rock. Both sides got trash, but I suppose liberals digging rap with shitty lyrics are being more hypocritical.
Country at least has people in their own community calling out bro country.

Isn't Ocean accepted by everyone not named Chris Brown?

How can you not accept Frank Ocean, that is crazy. I'm optimistic that the next generation growing up now will be way more open minded about this stuff since it's more out in the open in our culture these days.

LionPride

Banned
Isn't she a Trump supporter? Of course she'd be a hypicrital scumbag.

Her fellow trailer trash i guess
What? No.
Is that a joke?

Katy Perry can sneeze into a microphone, give the file a name, and sell more than Migos ever will in their lives.
With what Katy is trying to do, she needs them more since she's tryna pull a Miley Cyrus.

How can you not accept Frank Ocean, that is crazy. I'm optimistic that the next generation growing up now will be way more open minded about this stuff since it's more out in the open in our culture these days.
Bi people are hard to accept for some, I know from experience talking to my mom she used to say they need to choose one. With dudes like Uzi and Thug existing, hopefully things change.

jorgeton

I'm getting sick of hearing people apply the shitty choices of individuals to whole groups. It only helps to demonise one group in the minds of another.

I'm not saying all white straight cis entertainers do this, but there is a long history of cultural appropriation of queer and people of color culture. KP is just another rung in this ladder, but more problematic because she is positioning herself as some kind of LGBTQ ally, all while exploiting trans and people of color, but giving in to the homophobic demands of her guest act.

DOWN

Banned
Ok but let's not pretend Katy Perry wasn't railing against Trump and his minority hate all of last year. She gets herself in hot water but she's not a list of one-sided failures to step in

see5harp

I really don't get all of the confusion about Katy Perry being popular. She has big radio singles, is pretty, and has expensive production. You acting like she didn't sing at the fucking super bowl. Are you surprised that the Migos are popular? Do you think people are checking for their old mixtapes and singing HANNA MONTANA HANNA MONTANA HANNAH MONTANA?

No not really, seems more like irrational fear/uncomfortablity and moral opposition rather than game going to their heads, not sure how you gathered that "god" comment from this story, seems like a weird attack.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Isn't she a Trump supporter? Of course she'd be a hypicrital scumbag.

Her fellow trailer trash i guess

Not even remotely. She was vocally #TeamHillary. You might be thinking of Taylor Swift who has a tendency to stay quiet whenever real issues come up. Classic fence sitter.

Even though Katy is using Migos for a boost, she should've stood her ground on this. The worst case scenario for her is playing out right now, news of her capitulation leaking. If she had stood strong, worse thing they could have done is not perform. Which is...no big deal really, use the recorded track. If people ask why they weren't there, leak the details. It's not like this is the Super Bowl performance, it's SNL spot. And I think for the song she's just laying there the entire time so it wouldn't have messed up the choreography or anything. Dumb on her team's part.

I really don't get all of the confusion about Katy Perry being popular. She has big radio singles, is pretty, and has expensive production. You acting like she didn't sing at the fucking super bowl. Are you surprised that the Migos are popular? Do you think people are checking for their old mixtapes and singing HANNA MONTANA HANNA MONTANA HANNAH MONTANA?
I don't understand why all these artists are popular and not real musicians like Tool. They should be on SNL and Super Bowl halftime shows.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
She seems like she could be a hypocrite, doing whatever it takes to be popular. What with this incident and how she made the joke about "if people still miss Obama, then whatever, times change."

Or you could, you know, be wrong.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Who the hell is the third person lmao.

this is the real question here - nothing else about this is the least bit sensational or surprising... but like 3 star power get recognized anywhere motherfuckers and a solid

U5Yw4gF.gif

edit: I will also do the devil's advocate thing here and say - if forced between making other songwriters/performers/musicians happy in a situation and my backup dancers... i would choose the people I had to collab with to make the music most of the time. Just seems like the professional move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom