• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I've been trying to do any possible sidequests while on my Route B play through, mostly finding them a slog with a few bright moments. Finished
treasure in a forest castle
side quest, and got so bummed out that I had to shut the game off.

Don't have much else to say, just that slow creeping realization of what my actions of the last two minutes meant in the scheme of things... bummer.
Haw haw haw.

Pooya

I'm level 43 and have lvl3 weapons but I'm getting rekt in C. I do decent damage but I almost get OHK now by trash mobs. What level should I be at?

Pooya

Speaking of pods, I only have two pods still :| I have done lots of side quests but nothing.

For programs, I found shield to be useless. Wave is very underwhelming too. I use hammer and Mirage. The thing is they're not upgraded. I don't have materials for it for some reason after 40 hours of running around and picking up stuff lul.

Antiwhippy

Also check your chip loadout.

Speaking of sidequests though, playing through OG nier and some of them are even more tedious seeing that you don't have fast travel, but man, some of the payoffs are just as good as automata.

Ballad of the twins....

Speaking of pods, I only have two pods still :| I have done lots of side quests but nothing.

For programs, I found shield to be useless. Wave is very underwhelming too. I use hammer and Mirage. The thing is they're not upgraded. I don't have materials for it for some reason after 40 hours of running around and picking up stuff lul.

Pod B is
found by fishing in the Flooded City

For pod upgrades, get pure water from the Flooded City and gadgets from scanning for hidden harvest points.

Charging pod attacks by holding the button (to use all pods at once) probably makes a bigger difference than upgrades, though.

Melchior

Whats the best farming spot for exp? Everywhere I check it says using hack on the golden bunny but I can't target it with any robot flying or medium biped. Copied city exp is pretty bad too and I'm tired of the flying enemies there.

Whats the best farming spot for exp? Everywhere I check it says using hack on the golden bunny but I can't target it with any robot flying or medium biped. Copied city exp is pretty bad too and I'm tired of the flying enemies there.

Next best option is the pit in the desert housing complex, which will spawn enemies nonstop.

You gotta clear the whole square of any bots before it becomes targettable

Melchior

Next best option is the pit in the desert housing complex, which will spawn enemies nonstop.

yea I've been grinding them for shockwave chips

You gotta clear the whole square of any bots before it becomes targettable

I've cleared that square like 9 times. Ran around flew around nothing. I'm only 67 right now so I'm just going to grind elsewhere for levels and just trigger it instead of hack cheesing it.

Just finished route A and am
surprised by how positive that one ended. Guess it's still too early for despair.
After that I jumped straight into route B and got my 2nd joke ending. Ending G, after walking over the crane. :D

Still have no idea how the plugin configuration works. Any good tutorials for that and good advice for plugins to use?

Still have no idea how the plugin configuration works. Any good tutorials for that and good advice for plugins to use?

Some chips that are always good: weapon attack up, ranged attack up, shock wave, critical up, anti-chain damage, auto-heal, offensive heal, deadly heal, moving speed up, drop rate up. Now that you're on route B, definitely get item scan to find all the chests you missed the first time.

And honestly, you won't even have space for all that if you just stick with random chips and store-bought chips. You're only going to have room for a ton of skills if you keep every diamond chip you get and only fuse them into better diamond chips. Otherwise you'll have to remove UI chips to save space.

Also, on route B you'll definitely want to set up an alternate loadout with hijack boost, combust, and stun, and you can cut back on the combat chips since you will be attacking and getting hit less. Once you're on another route you can switch back to a combat-centric loadout with chips like charge attack.

I just went into this game completely blind and I have to say I'm loving it so far. Other than some drab, ugly, and really boring environments that is. But the mechanics feel fantastic, combat is fun, bosses are awesome, story is interesting and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Quick question, during a few battles I have accidentally performed a move where 2B uses the pod to latch onto an enemy from a distance. I imagine this would be amazing to chain attacks, but havent been able replicate it myself. Can anyone help?

Some chips that are always good: weapon attack up, ranged attack up, shock wave, critical up, anti-chain damage, auto-heal, offensive heal, deadly heal, moving speed up, drop rate up. Now that you're on route B, definitely get item scan to find all the chests you missed the first time.

And honestly, you won't even have space for all that if you just stick with random chips and store-bought chips. You're only going to have room for a ton of skills if you keep every diamond chip you get and only fuse them into better diamond chips. Otherwise you'll have to remove UI chips to save space.

Thanks for the info. Really time that I get into plugin chips and how to fuse them. First thing I'll do is buy more plugin storage space.

Also, on route B you'll definitely want to set up an alternate loadout with hijack boost, combust, and stun, and you can cut back on the combat chips since you will be attacking and getting hit less. Once you're on another route you can switch back to a combat-centric loadout with chips like charge attack.

Good advice.

I just went into this game completely blind and I have to say I'm loving it so far. Other than some drab, ugly, and really boring environments that is. But the mechanics feel fantastic, combat is fun, bosses are awesome, story is interesting and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Yeah, some textures really are ugly, but the fights are fun.

Quick question, during a few battles I have accidentally performed a move where 2B uses the pod to latch onto an enemy from a distance. I imagine this would be amazing to chain attacks, but havent been able replicate myself. Can anyone help?

When in air press both the jump and the fire button. Really useful.

If you didn't complete certain side quests in Route A, you may be able to still do them in Route B
there are some exclusive to Route A, and some exclusive to Route B though
. However, nothing is permanently missable anyways, so no need to restart.

Thank you kindly :) . I played a little bit today to where I stopped Pascal's village after playing through a couple of side quests.. I think I'll be taking my time moving forward.

yea I've been grinding them for shockwave chips

I've cleared that square like 9 times. Ran around flew around nothing. I'm only 67 right now so I'm just going to grind elsewhere for levels and just trigger it instead of hack cheesing it.

So I just read somewhere else that the hacking part of it got patched out? I guess you just have to keep hitting it to make the fight trigger. That'd make sense why it doesn't work. I haven't played in about a month so I had no idea. It worked when I last did it.

1upsuper

Got a quick question about Automata. I've been playing through NieR 1 for the first time (almost done with Route A) in preparation for this game, and I just got 100% side quest completion. Some were great at developing the world, but most of them were frankly a slog with little pay off - I only did them all because I'm loving the game so much. Are Automata's very similar? Is it worth doing every side quest?

Antiwhippy

No.

Playing through OG nier myself though and I feel like there are more sidequsts in automata with a better payoff both by itself and with the overall story.

Moaradin

Automata sidequest are definitely a lot better. I think almost all of them are worth doing. You learn a lot more about the characters and they do a lot of good world-building. Even the ones that are light in story still tend to get you good rewards (materials, weapons, etc.) that make them worth doing.

Does fast travel unlock at some point? I might just stick to the main story until it does if that's the case. The side quests themselves are interesting but navigating the world is kind of a chore.

I'm currently on route B and I'm wondering if there's anything easily missable (as in, the game never goes out of its way to mention it).

For example:

The deep caves pipe entrance in the city ruins.

Labolas

tenor.gif

Could this mean something?

Greddleok

Little bit disappointed with route B.

I just did the first major boss, and there was some cool extra info...but it's just route A, but with an annoying mini game instead of character action stuff.

Antiwhippy

Little bit disappointed with route B.

I just did the first major boss, and there was some cool extra info...but it's just route A, but with an annoying mini game instead of character action stuff.

Firstly, if you don't want to to do the minigame that much, use spears. He does a shitton of damage with spears. People seem to underestimate his melee for some reason.

You can rush through it pretty fast, but it does change up pretty significantly later on.

I love that annoying minigame.

I've just finished route C, clocked at 40 hours.

But when I loaded the save file, the game starts at the very first point of the game with level 1 enemies. Am I doing something wrong? How do I activate route/ending D?

Hektor

I've just finished route C, clocked at 40 hours.

But when I loaded the save file, the game starts at the very first point of the game with level 1 enemies. Am I doing something wrong? How do I activate route/ending D?

Chapter select and
choose the part where 9S and A2 are fighting

tjlee2

Neo Member
Finished route B.
Did most side quests in route A so route B was fairly quick. When I replay the game, I will likely save some of the tankier enemies for this route so there is less time wasted.

I personally had a decent amount of fun with
the gimmick with 9S hacking for this route.. I didn't really find it too repetitive, but that may be because I did most things in route A so the amount of time spent in route B is actually fairly low. I probably cleared it in under 5 hours.

As far as story progression goes,
it felt like a less well executed variation of what Odin Sphere did. I think the story for route A and B could probably be re-organized into the same route to achieve the same effect. That said, I still enjoyed the little details that provided a different context to certain things, and the more important story components near the end were well done. One particular example is that if a player has knowledge of the previous game, or just general background of how the previous game ended, the fact that humans are extinct (as specified in game, for now) should already be apparent. But Automata was willing to throw a spin on what should be a fact, and did it in a manner that the revelation still carried weight on something that shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Did the very beginning of C.
With how this route is being presented,
it almost feels as if A and B were merely prologue, which is another reason I feel that they probably should have been combined together. With only the intro, I'm excited to see/hope a lot of the story pieces that have been set so far come together.

Other than the endless number of invisible walls, the game has been very enjoyable. It's definitely a very unique experience.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
That big flying snake machine in the desert is right up there with the absolute worst fights I've ever seen in any game. I honestly burst out laughing when it split up into the balls on the ground and they all attacked from ever conceivable angle, as A2 died in a maelstrom of laser/bullet fire amidst a confused, incomprehensible on-screen jumble of sand and noise and mess. Then I selected easy difficulty, blasted through it and just moved the hell on. Ain't nobody got time for that...

I'm at a complete loss to explain what they were thinking with the design there. I mean, Berserk mode is cool, yeah, but it did not need to be introduced through that nonsense.

Ludens

Banned
So I'm stuck with Heritage of the past quest. I found the first three relics, and I gave them to the quest giver. So I know a fourth one should spawn in a specific location, but no matter what, my radar can't detect it.
I'm sure I gave the three relics to the dude since my quest log is updated, but when talking to him, he didn't tell me about a final relic, he just tells me "if you find other relics from the old world, bring them to me" or something like that.
I tried to teleport in another location and come back, I closed the game and restarted it, but I can't fix what I suppose it's a bug at this point. Steam version, if it can help.

So I'm stuck with Heritage of the past quest. I found the first three relics, and I gave them to the quest giver. So I know a fourth one should spawn in a specific location, but no matter what, my radar can't detect it.
I'm sure I gave the three relics to the dude since my quest log is updated, but when talking to him, he didn't tell me about a final relic, he just tells me "if you find other relics from the old world, bring them to me" or something like that.
I tried to teleport in another location and come back, I closed the game and restarted it, but I can't fix what I suppose it's a bug at this point. Steam version, if it can help.

That's what he should say normally, yeah.

I remember it was basically at the next cluster of ruins over from the quest giver. If you look at the big circle of ruins on the map, just follow the circle counterclockwise.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished route B.
Did most side quests in route A so route B was fairly quick. When I replay the game, I will likely save some of the tankier enemies for this route so there is less time wasted.

I personally had a decent amount of fun with
the gimmick with 9S hacking for this route.. I didn't really find it too repetitive, but that may be because I did most things in route A so the amount of time spent in route B is actually fairly low. I probably cleared it in under 5 hours.

As far as story progression goes,
it felt like a less well executed variation of what Odin Sphere did. I think the story for route A and B could probably be re-organized into the same route to achieve the same effect. That said, I still enjoyed the little details that provided a different context to certain things, and the more important story components near the end were well done. One particular example is that if a player has knowledge of the previous game, or just general background of how the previous game ended, the fact that humans are extinct (as specified in game, for now) should already be apparent. But Automata was willing to throw a spin on what should be a fact, and did it in a manner that the revelation still carried weight on something that shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Did the very beginning of C.
With how this route is being presented,
it almost feels as if A and B were merely prologue, which is another reason I feel that they probably should have been combined together. With only the intro, I'm excited to see/hope a lot of the story pieces that have been set so far come together.

Other than the endless number of invisible walls, the game has been very enjoyable. It's definitely a very unique experience.

I disagree, combining both A and B would just be a mess of information being thrown at you, people would just (rightfully) shift to wondering why the hell they should care about the robots (boss battles and such) that they just met, the random picture monologues, among other things. The spacing that Route B provides is far more welcome imo

I dunno, I just think that there are people who just inherently dislike having to repeat the same thing over, especially so soon, even if it has its differences, which is perfectly fine. But so far, I have yet to see any "fixes" or alternatives for Route B that I prefer than what we got, other than just making 9S more enjoyable to play as. (Honestly I think this is the main issue, people just typically prefer to play as 2B and A2, even if hacking is OP) Route B is obviously divisive, but personally I think it is fine how it is.

That big flying snake machine in the desert is right up there with the absolute worst fights I've ever seen in any game. I honestly burst out laughing when it split up into the balls on the ground and they all attacked from ever conceivable angle, as A2 died in a maelstrom of laser/bullet fire amidst a confused, incomprehensible on-screen jumble of sand and noise and mess. Then I selected easy difficulty, blasted through it and just moved the hell on. Ain't nobody got time for that...

I'm at a complete loss to explain what they were thinking with the design there. I mean, Berserk mode is cool, yeah, but it did not need to be introduced through that nonsense.

You could already use B-Mode before that if you're aware of the self-destruct mechanic, and it's pretty easy to abuse with the right chips.

Ludens

Banned
I remember it was basically at the next cluster of ruins over from the quest giver. If you look at the big circle of ruins on the map, just follow the circle counterclockwise.

Yeah I know where it is because I googled it, checked a lot of videos. The problem is my radar can't detect it, no matter what, and the quest giver never mentioned this fourth relic, he only asks me to bring him more.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Got to 3rd playthrough. I'm done. This is now more annoying than fun. First two playthroughs were enjoyable and loved it. But I don't have time for this bullshit.
The virus stuff
is probably the dumbest anti-fun shit I've seen.

LotusHD

Banned
Got to 3rd playthrough. I'm done. This is now more annoying than fun. First two playthroughs were enjoyable and loved it. But I don't have time for this bullshit.
The virus stuff
is probably the dumbest anti-fun shit I've seen.

Damn, people really struggled with that? Did it on my first try, by the time it's your third playthrough I already know the layout of the ruins I've traversed through so many times, so I didn't get randomly knocked down or anything.

But either way, it's obviously not supposed to be fun, 2B is succumbing to a virus. That being said, segments like this are always tricky in that I personally think they are okay so long as they do not overstay their welcome. Again, I did it in one try, so I had no issues with it, and felt for 2B as the virus slowly overtakes her. But admittedly yes, it can easily be one of those things where if you die once or twice, you'd easily get pissed off. But I really didn't see this part as being especially hard.

Ah, right that makes sense. How did I miss that.

Thanks.

*30 minutes later

Got ending D and E, and now I'm lost. Uh.. I guess it's time to sleep.

Come thru the spoiler thread :3

Yeah I know where it is because I googled it, checked a lot of videos. The problem is my radar can't detect it, no matter what, and the quest giver never mentioned this fourth relic, he only asks me to bring him more.

You might be missing one of the first three items. Did you get the stick, the slab, and the filthy mask (not ancient mask)?

Top Bottom