• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I... can't actually think of any quests that requires you to collect random things outside of the first quests when you get to the resistence camp. After that it seems most quests mark what you have to collect.

ironmang

I... can't actually think of any quests that requires you to collect random things outside of the first quests when you get to the resistence camp. After that it seems most quests mark what you have to collect.

Alright that sounds better then. Thought I was getting set up to do fetch quests/scavenger hunts which I absolutely hate.

Nothing that puts a little dot on my minimap or anything denoting quest items? Assuming that just saves me time from pressing the button to pick up.

After the first ending, you will be able to buy a chip that shows the precise location of every item and chest on the minimap.

Extremely helpful, but also deliberately not available in your first playthrough.

Alrus

There's the awful route B desert quest where you have to run aimlessly in a gigantic zone to find old trinkets.

Antiwhippy

I mean I'm gonna do an all sidequests run once I'm finishing with OG nier, but I'm not looking forward to that one haha.

I mean I'm gonna do an all sidequests run once I'm finishing with OG nier, but I'm not looking forward to that one haha.

Do all sidequests in OG Nier and then you can talk about how Automata's are tedious.

"Those rare weapon upgrade materials that you've seen maybe five of by the late game? I want you to farm 20 of those and give them to me in exchange for money that you don't even need by this point"

There's a sidequest in the first NieR that takes real life days (up to a week?) to complete unless you mess with the system's internal clock, because it's a gardening quest that requires 19 or so real life hours for plants to grow, multiple times to breed a certain kind of flower. Nothing in Automata even compares.

Melchior

Going through again on Normal after completing hard mode
and choosing to delete my save
. I just hit Hegel on Route
C
and I really still don't understand how this fight is supposed to go down.
They introduce the berserk mode which just chunks your HP and you have this ridiculous boss that drops from the sky and all the balls just fucking stack up on top of you making a mess. So if you do decide to do berserk you're just constantly mashing RT attack then downpad heal heal and just repeat that for the entire fight. In both hard and normal I didn't use berserk because it felt like such a shit place to introduce this cool mechanic.
I just don't really understand the fight from the point of view of introducing that new mechanic.

LotusHD

Banned
Going through again on Normal after completing hard mode
and choosing to delete my save
. I just hit Hegel on Route
C
and I really still don't understand how this fight is supposed to go down.
They introduce the berserk mode which just chunks your HP and you have this ridiculous boss that drops from the sky and all the balls just fucking stack up on top of you making a mess. So if you do decide to do berserk you're just constantly mashing RT attack then downpad heal heal and just repeat that for the entire fight. In both hard and normal I didn't use berserk because it felt like such a shit place to introduce this cool mechanic.
I just don't really understand the fight from the point of view of introducing that new mechanic.

Auto-heal, Offensive Heal make B-Mode easy as hell to abuse.

Speaking of og nier do i need to do all the weapon upgrades this time to see the different endings?

You just need to get all the weapons. All upgrades is only for an achievement.

(Which I did, and it was soul-crushing by the end. Eventually you will need materials so rare that you need half an hour of nonstop fighting just to get one... out of four that you need.)

Roubjon

You just need to get all the weapons. All upgrades is only for an achievement.

(Which I did, and it was soul-crushing by the end. Eventually you will need materials so rare that you need half an hour of nonstop fighting just to get one... out of four that you need.)

I remember loading and reloading in the
desert temple area
for some stupid item to spawn in a corner of a room for at least an hour.

The new patch has added help text for how to get out of remote controlling enemies.

It's a terrible thought to imagine people... what, thinking they would have to suicide out of it? Then lumbering to the nearest enemy mob to slowly get punched to death?

I remember loading and reloading in the
desert temple area
for some stupid item to spawn in a corner of a room for at least an hour.

I bought the DLC partly to get access to the room where those items would spawn more often.

But some items weren't droppable in the DLC. The worst was going to the beach over and over again for black pearls, and climbing all the way to top of the Lost Shrine to farm for necklaces.

Roubjon

I bought the DLC partly to get access to the room where those items would spawn more often.

But some items weren't droppable in the DLC. The worst was going to the beach over and over again for black pearls, and climbing all the way to top of the Lost Shrine to farm for necklaces.

I'd do it all again too ;_;

Give us that remaster!

Hektor

Yoko saying goodbye to his office at P* ;_;7

C4UJl7i.png

Guess they haven't started on a new collaboration yet

Does anyone have an idea what Yoko's new name on twitter is suuposed to mean? The "ティアJ31a"

Spoil tag that.

You might want to try a different route, if you're going straight through the crater you're going to have a bad time.

I looked it up on Youtube and it's really not that bad if you know where to go. I was incredibly tired when I tried it the other day.

On a similar note, I was kind of lukewarm on Nier at the beginning. But man, it's definitely more than the sum of it's parts.
(Sidequests still suck though !)

Antiwhippy

Playing through OG nier, and even at the start I can see why people might like the cast more. Dadtagonist and grumpy book are legitimately really fun together with a couple of funny moments even early on.

Still, I think both games are going for something different.

Playing through OG nier, and even at the start I can see why people might like the cast more. Dadtagonist and grumpy book are legitimately really fun together with a couple of funny moments even early on.

Still, I think both games are going for something different.

First NieR's strongest points are character interactions and music.

But yes, both games have clearly different ideas and themes they're presenting.

fantomena

So according to the Nier Automata fextralife wiki or whatever it's called, there are 3 main endings and it seems like the first playthrough is the longest when it counts the amount of missions?

Working toward ending E but I think the game crashed or froze.

After shooting up the credits and choosing to lend a hand to someone else (resulting in my deleted data), I started a new game, but it never loaded past the initial loading screen. I closed the game and started it up again. My new save without any progress was still available. I started it up and the game started up as if I had never played before.

Is this what's supposed to happen?

LotusHD

Banned
Working toward ending E but I think the game crashed or froze.

After shooting up the credits and choosing to lend a hand to someone else (resulting in my deleted data), I started a new game, but it never loaded past the initial loading screen. I closed the game and started it up again. My new save without any progress was still available. I started it up and the game started up as if I had never played before.

Is this what's supposed to happen?

Err, I'm a little confused here, but if you chose to delete your save, you lose all your progress, meaning starting a new game will be as if you've never played before, but the screen before loading up the game should now be an all black background with a white sword,
with a pouch attached to said sword.

Err, I'm a little confused here, but if you chose to delete your save, you lose all your progress, meaning starting a new game will be as if you've never played before, but the screen before loading up the game should now be an all black background with a white sword,
with a pouch attached to said sword.

Yes.

Then you're good to go. I mean, Ending E ended as soon as you saw that final cutscene with the androids laying lifeless on the floor, but it's a damn nice background lol

Ah, so the game really does start over without any previous data. There aren't any additional surprises if I play through the opening? Uh, I guess I restore my cloud save from PS+ if I want to enjoy all of the unlocks?

Quick question to you all! I started Route B a couple of days ago, and I'm thinking I might have went too fast when I finished Route A. There was a side quest or two that I did while playing as 2B, but..... did I miss a lot of stuff? I feel like I did since my Quests completed is sitting on 7%, and it's making me think I should start over.

LotusHD

Banned
Ah, so the game really does start over without any previous data. There aren't any additional surprises if I play through the opening? Uh, I guess I restore my cloud save from PS+ if I want to enjoy all of the unlocks?

Nope, that's it, those 5 main endings. And yea, if you want to quickly enjoy the stuff you unlocked, use your cloud save if you have it.

Quick question to you all! I started Route B a couple of days ago, and I'm thinking I might have went too fast when I finished Route A. There was a side quest or two that I did while playing as 2B, but..... did I miss a lot of stuff? I feel like I did since my Quests completed is sitting on 7%, and it's making me think I should start over.

If you didn't complete certain side quests in Route A, you may be able to still do them in Route B
there are some exclusive to Route A, and some exclusive to Route B though
. However, nothing is permanently missable anyways, so no need to restart.

So I've been trying to do any possible sidequests while on my Route B play through, mostly finding them a slog with a few bright moments. Finished
treasure in a forest castle
side quest, and got so bummed out that I had to shut the game off.

Don't have much else to say, just that slow creeping realization of what my actions of the last two minutes meant in the scheme of things... bummer.

I'm shocked to see this thread still going so strongly and I couldn't be happier about how this game has been treated. Yoko Taro and Platinum you did it you bastards.
I'm crying tears of joy.

So I've been trying to do any possible sidequests while on my Route B play through, mostly finding them a slog with a few bright moments. Finished
treasure in a forest castle
side quest, and got so bummed out that I had to shut the game off.

Don't have much else to say, just that slow creeping realization of what my actions of the last two minutes meant in the scheme of things... bummer.

I wish I could list all the "what have you done" quests, but that would defeat the whole point.

But no matter how sobering the outcome (and the post-quest music!), this game still dumps rewards on you when you complete those quests. Nier 1 had a quest where you end up running across the whole world doing multiple sub-quests... and then find out that you did the worst thing possible and got cheated out of a reward entirely.

Top Bottom