• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

Setre

Man, I wish Team Deathmatch wasn't broken. It always seems to get stuck on the Village map. I also wish people would read the server description before jumping into one. It's annoying as fuck when you're in a Duel Server and some asshats just come along and start ganking everyone.

I knew about pressing C for some sort of chant/charge, but it seems like each class has it's own specific one...hmm I'll have to look into this further.

feel

Everyone spamming X (long scream) while we are running as a huge group towards the objective is one of the greatest online things ever!

I wish I could do that one with the xbox controller without having to lean forward and touch the keyboard. Same for the Z44 laugh and etc. They only let you do the stationary taunt on the controller.

Beepos

I wish I could do that one with the xbox controller without having to lean forward and touch the keyboard. Same for the Z44 laugh and etc. They only let you do the stationary taunt on the controller.

I certainly had the moving taunt set to one of my Xbox buttons, the right directional pad. Of course depending on your setup you may need all your buttons for combat actions ha.

Starting to at worst break even, at best go around 15-22 kills, and stay under 10-12 deaths.

I STILL have no idea how anyone has success with the bows, xbows, and javs. I will fire a shot right through someone, time and time again... and then get plucked pretty damn often despite always being on the move.

I have a tendency to let my blood lust get the better of me when I see an archer almost in reach. I get tunnel vision. When I end up dodging a few of their arrows and splatter their head on my mace it's worth it but typically I'll take an arrow in the mad dash and then taken out by their back up.

Starting to at worst break even, at best go around 15-22 kills, and stay under 10-12 deaths.

I STILL have no idea how anyone has success with the bows, xbows, and javs. I will fire a shot right through someone, time and time again... and then get plucked pretty damn often despite always being on the move.

Arrow hitbox is really small. The weird crosshair doesn't help either.

Spat_triate

I would love to see some class limitations implemented in the future. Too many useless archers running around doing nothing but shooting teammates in the back.

That said, when you meet an actual good player who uses feints, kicks, swing variation, swing speed variation and knows how to parry, the intensity of the one on one fight is unrivaled.

As a Vanguard I met this Knight with the moniker "Barristan Selmy" and we fought for what seemed like 5 or more minutes. I carried a halberd while he used a falchion and shield. Long story short we were both down to slivers of health but I took his sword arm followed by his head. I saluted him for fighting well then got hit in the back of the head by a quarrel.
facking xbowmen!

That one fight was more satisfying than all of the hours spent in BF and COD over the last 5 years.

Interview by IncGamers with Steve Piggot:

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/10/torn-banner-intervuiew-on-chivalry-medieval-warfare

IG: Any character customisation for the classes – skins, armour, sigils etc?

Steve Piggott: Character customization is very limited at release. It’s something our community has been vocal about wanting expanded, so we have some exciting plans there for future updates.

IG: With the great feedback from your community, any current work in progress you can go into detail about?

Steve Piggott: We have a lot of really fun ideas for future content updates. It’s a great time for developers to add to the core experience of the game and work without as much pressure, we are really looking forward to being able to add a lot of content to Chivalry after release. We’ve heard from our community a strong demand for more environments, new weapons and customization options so that will be a big part of what we do.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I would love to see some class limitations implemented in the future. Too many useless archers running around doing nothing but shooting teammates in the back.

That said, when you meet an actual good player who uses feints, kicks, swing variation, swing speed variation and knows how to parry, the intensity of the one on one fight is unrivaled.

As a Vanguard I met this Knight with the moniker "Barristan Selmy" and we fought for what seemed like 5 or more minutes. I carried a halberd while he used a falchion and shield. Long story short we were both down to slivers of health but I took his sword arm followed by his head. I saluted him for fighting well then got hit in the back of the head by a quarrel.
facking xbowmen!

That one fight was more satisfying than all of the hours spent in BF and COD over the last 5 years.
I rarely see archers. I'm actually pretty good with the class but I get no satisfaction from it.

Dizzy-4U

Bought it yesterday and I can't wait to get home. See you all on the battlefield.

edit: Man, this game is so much fun. I went 8-4 the first match and 3-7 the second one.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I see there's a way to record a demo, but are there easy ways to convert this footage into avi format or similar?

The last few servers I've been in have gotten really ugly. The chat was typically pretty funny in the past but lately it's turned into the vile internet I'm used to. It's unfortunate.

sankao

This game is amazing. Was really hesitating to buy it, considering that it is multiplayer only, but I don't regret at all.
I don't know if it is just beginner's luck, or something to do with the slower pace of action, but I'm doing ok so far, not great, but not completely murdered as I would expect to be if I started playing, say, a multiplayer shooter.

Forkball

My main complaint is that I wish if you played in third person, the death cam would also stay in third person. Did I lose a leg? An arm? Both? I must know!

chris121580

This is pretty much my game of the year so far. I haven't had this fun with a multiplayer game in years. Probably all the way back to RTCW has a game felt this fresh. Absolutely love it. One on one battles are epic as long as they're not interrupted

Played on a 48 player server yesterday for about 4 hours and it was chaotic as fuck. A lot of the objectives were really hard with a ton of stale mates. Honestly, I think I prefer the smaller numbers of 24 or 32 for Team Objectives.

Also, it really sucks when people hide or the last enemy runs away repeatedly in Last Team Standing/Elimination.

Two handed weapons are OP as fuck
Easier to aim for the head
better reach
charge attack

B-b-but I have a shield!
He can still kick you and fuck you up.

I typically don't have any problem defending against 2 handed weapons. They come in slow and are easily parried. The ones I have the most trouble with are the quick maces and swords when wielded by knights. They spam the attack so fast, it can be almost impossible to find an opening and they have the health to take a few hits.

I typically don't have any problem defending against 2 handed weapons. They come in slow and are easily parried. The ones I have the most trouble with are the quick maces and swords when wielded by knights. They spam the attack so fast, it can be almost impossible to find an opening and they have the health to take a few hits.

It depends on the map.
Most maps you can spam 2 handers and crossbow backup and win 90% of the time.

ZoddGutts

This is pretty much my game of the year so far. I haven't had this fun with a multiplayer game in years. Probably all the way back to RTCW has a game felt this fresh. Absolutely love it. One on one battles are epic as long as they're not interrupted

Same. The last multiplayer that made me addicted was TF2. Mount & Blade came close though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man this game is making me jones real bad for a new Jedi Knight.

Just spent a couple of hours playing on a server that only had 6 people in it. The game really shines in smaller scale combat with lots of 1 v 1's. The mass melees get a bit silly.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
When players roleplay a little bit it's quite fun but sometimes the community makes me shake my head.

Is there a way to ignore text from certain people in the chat?
Is there a way to mute specific persons? Heck, is there even a way to tell who's talking via mic?

taoofjord

Just picked this up tonight. Man, this game is really fun. The combat is fantastic and the game is absolutely hilarious. Not just because of the way you're fighting each other but because of the tone the developers set. It's pure cheese and it embraces it with over-the-top voice acting and sound effects. The whole thing has a crummy mod-like feel that works in its favor. I'm really glad I took a chance on this and hope word of mouth continues to spread. This game deserves the attention it's been getting.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I've played a ton of this game - enjoy it a lot but the "jank" really gets to me.

I've dominated games but the hit detection, weird animation that makes it impossible to figure out where your guy will swing, sprinting frustration(ie have to constantly hold down shift and if somebody runs into you, you lose all your momentum), the inability to walk over certain objects, and in general pathways etc... really really frustrate me. I can't count the times I've swung through somebody's head and nothing happens, they turn around and kill me. It needs tighter controls or something. Also, the maps are pretty big - which is great except for best of 7 last man standing, usually you are just waiting around for a couple of min every round to find the a-holes hiding, I hate those games.

I use vanguard with the great sword and just sprint around the map chopping people's heads off. Good mindless fun mixed with intense frustration.

After spending more time with it, the game is fun but a number of bugs and oddities prevent me from ranking it with jk/mb2.

Locking someone with the man at arms mace is hilarious though.

G-Fex

ugh if I wasn't having this fucking computer problem with fullscreen to windowed mode then I'd stream some more Chivalry

Paertan

This game is awsome but it has its fair amount of bugs and things needing to be fixed. Still had a blast playing it with a few friends this weekend. Vanguard was my class of choice, and I am pretty good at this game I noticed. Those swedish viking genes or something XD

BTW if you have performance issues, mainly on laptops, the game has a bug where it chooses integrated GPU (Intel HD 3000) over your real GPU making the game run like shit. You then have to force your computer to use correct GPU.

Torn Banner Studios posted an update on the state of the game:

It has been two weeks since release and it's past time for us to give you guys an update on what we are working on. It makes us very happy to be able to say that so far our release has gone very well and player numbers are much stronger than expected, so we are very excited! Which is great news for you aswell- because us being excited means you get patches faster and more post-release content!

So far we have been primarily focused on getting bugs worked out and the first big patch is coming soon, hopefully within the next week or 2. Patch one includes: a complete remake of the server browser, fixed auto-balance, new ranged crosshairs, fixed javelins and keybind improvements among many other items highlighted by our community. After that we're headed towards our first content update, which will bring a ton of new, free stuff to the game, first up includes new maps, new weapons and duel mode + plenty of surprises.

Basically what we are saying is, we are so happy with how things are going for the game and the reception we have been getting that we are committing to an insane amount of content updates for you guys. I also wanted to thank you all for your feedback so far, anyone who has been posting in our initial impressions post on the forums or just giving us suggestions or feedback along the way, it means a lot and we really are listening and trying to bring the content you guys are asking for. Everyone who has purchased the game has played a role in making our dreams come true and that is something we will remember.

So Thank you! And I shall look to pay deeper respects to you on the battlefield,

Steve & Torn Banner Studios

Paertan

That is nice to hear. BTW thinking about setting my laptop up as a Dedicated server for most of the day. I know the tool is downloaded from Steam but is it easy to use or do anyone know if there is a good guide?

Top Bottom