• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 News Thread of BE ADVISED: Reviews On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Question: When is the beta and how do I get in.

Console Peasant 360 here.
Its an open beta so it will be just like how BC2 did it.

There will just be a Battlefield 3 Beta download on the marketplace under Demos

drexplora

DSN2K said:
so let me get this straight, some point this month regardless of if you have preordered or not the beta will be open to you ?

im pretty sure for pc battlefield titles they have always released a full one map mp demo before the full games release.

LordCanti said:
( ゚д゚)
With Origin you just download the game....Why would you buy a physical copy from them?

i was gifted a 25% off code for use with origin. the game comes to $45 on origin, with free shipping included. extra 2$ for tax but w/e..

id like a physical copy of the game to hold on to, still got my BF2 copy which was also pre ordered got free overnight shipping and a free headset that time.
ive noticed the ppl that pre order first loose out on all the great deals that come as incentive for all who are holding out as potential buyers.

EDIT: I also read somewhere on Origin that when pre ordering u dont get charged till the game is released and shipped.
kinda wierd...ive got the money now....thats why i wanna pre order it now.. why wont you take mah money now!!! how do i know if ill have the total amount and not a penny less in my account that day.. meh..

LordCanti

Not sure if this is new news, but here it goes. From Joystiq:

"EA's CFO Eric Brown announced at the Citi 2011 Tech Conference today that Battlefield 3 has already racked up 1.25 million pre-orders, putting it "well ahead" of the previous Battlefield title, Bad Company 2, at the same time leading up to launch. Over ten times more, in fact."

You guys are braver than I. I know If I DL the beta I'll play it a shitton, and who knows I might still give in. But I'd hate to get burned out on the game or burned out on a specific map or something.

LordCanti

-Pyromaniac- said:
You guys are braver than I. I know If I DL the beta I'll play it a shitton, and who knows I might still give in. But I'd hate to get burned out on the game or burned out on a specific map or something.

Worst case scenario, you don't feel like playing 1 of 9 maps when the retail version hits. You'd be left with eight full maps that weren't in the beta.

LowParry

-Pyromaniac- said:

Psh. It's one map. You'll be pumped as hell playing the other maps when that time comes.

Yeah I guess. I also got nothing to play for now. But by the time this damn beta starts dark souls will already be out and I'll be fine so booourns regardless.

Izayoi

Banned
Emily Chu said:
20$ on Origin servers crashing and burning for the first 2 weeks of the beta...
Granted the Alpha participation was much smaller than the beta will be, other than all of the servers being 100% full, Origin and Battlelog held up just fine.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Is anyone else probably skipping the beta to go in fresh at launch?
Why in the world would you do that? It's not like it's single player and they said the beta will be ending pretty close to the shipping date so it's basically like getting the game early.

mr_nothin said:
Why in the world would you do that? It's not like it's single player and they said the beta will be ending pretty close to the shipping date so it's basically like getting the game early.
when you get a game and it feels brand new, nothing beats that. Beta cheapens it is all. Sure that feeling only lasts an hour max, but an amazing hour that is.

Menelaus

Banned
Izayoi said:
Well, that's true, but for what's it worth I've never experienced any downtime of the service during the Alpha or otherwise.
i think we're all experiencing some heartbreaking downtime right now

-Pyromaniac- said:
when you get a game and it feels brand new, nothing beats that. Beta cheapens it is all. Sure that feeling only lasts an hour max, but an amazing hour that is.
i'd rather be really good at the game when it hits retail.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-Pyromaniac- said:
I've had more fun in some betas than I had in the full releases. The World in Conflict beta in particular was amazing. There were so many balance patches it was like playing a new game every day.

Menelaus said:
i'd rather be really good at the game when it hits retail.
meh, maybe it's just for me but good at one shooter good at all shooters. I haven't played bad company 2 for a LONG time but I'm 100% sure I'll go back to dominating within 3 hours of playing BF3. Same goes for call of duty or any shooter for me.

Maybe I'm just mad pro like that.

SapientWolf said:
I've had more fun in some betas than I had in the full releases.
that's the problem, it's because you played the shit out of the beta it's like you already played the game a lot, lol.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Well BF3 doesnt have menus & logo intros so scratch that ;)

-Pyromaniac- said:
meh, maybe it's just for me but good at one shooter good at all shooters. I haven't played bad company 2 for a LONG time but I'm 100% sure I'll go back to dominating within 3 hours of playing BF3. Same goes for call of duty or any shooter for me.

Def not true. Being good at BC2 and COD is diff than being good at CSS.

-Pyromaniac- said:
that's the problem, it's because you played the shit out of the beta it's like you already played the game a lot, lol.
Well some alphas/betas just play better than release or after a game has been released and has been patched. Examples: Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2.

I can see if you didnt want to play the beta because you're scared that you might get used to the way it's played only to have it changed up on you for the full release.

Menelaus

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

Well, for me, it's getting back into PC gaming period. I abandoned the mouse and keyboard years ago.

mr_nothin

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Just because you hardcore PC gamers don't know how to move on doesn't mean the rest of us haven't, CSS doesn't count :p
Well you ADHD consoler peasants cant stay put for 2 seconds to build a community around a game. ;)

G_Berry

Banned
Yeah CSS is a very different beast. I'd consider myself top tier when it comes to cod and bf on both PC and console, but when it comes to CSS, if I haven't played in a while I get pretty owned.

As for the BF3 alpha, I was coming first pretty much every game (not too hard with the amount of nublets that were playing).

All this BF3 beta anticipation made me jump the gun and forced my hand at buying a new rig. This was the first time I will be building a gaming rig, but man, is it satisfying to see the end price being dramatically cheaper than buying an Alienware. I went crazy for the fences on the specs and still managed to come out more than half as cheap as it would have cost me at Alienware. The "I need a New PC" thread helped tons too. Feels good, man. BF3, my body is ready.

So Battlelog public beta begins friday...

@zh1int0

Does that mean that the BF3 beta begins the same day? Because otherwise whats battlelog without the game?

Edit: Nope, I can't read. It said Battleblog

mr_nothin

Banned
RibbedHero said:
So Battlelog public beta begins friday...

@zh1int0

Does that mean that the BF3 beta begins the same day? Because otherwise whats battlelog without the game?

Edit: Nope, I can't read. It said Battleblog
Well I still think it's to announce something about the beta. I dont really believe that they just moved it from thursday to friday just for this week....for no apparent reason. They probably just need a little more time to get things ready for the beta before the announcement.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just realized I haven't secured PS3 beta access... how do I remedy this? What do I have to buy?

mr_nothin

Banned
Evolved1 said:
I just realized I haven't secured PS3 beta access... how do I remedy this? What do I have to buy?
IIRC, if you pre-order on origin then you have access to the beta on other platforms too. Either Demize or zh1nt0 said it.

EDIT: And by that I meant early access.

jorma

is now taking requests
Evolved1 said:

Unless that changed recently, it's an open beta. Afaik, the only thing you can secure by preordering etc etc is a 2 day early access to the beta.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mr_nothin said:
Well I still think it's to announce something about the beta. I dont really believe that they just moved it from thursday to friday just for this week....for no apparent reason. They probably just need a little more time to get things ready for the beta before the announcement.
It's at least going to be something that took substantial effort, like a trailer. It's definitely something that needed an extra day to get ready. I'm also hoping for the beta but I'm not getting my hopes up.

the game was recently in alpha and you expect a switch to beta this fast? the reason it isnt out it because it is not finished. People should stop asking for it, because it will come out when it is done.

Obviously.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
the game was recently in alpha and you expect a switch to beta this fast? the reason it isnt out it because it is not finished. People should stop asking for it, because it will come out when it is done.

Obviously.
Lol wut? The game is going gold in less than a month, what makes you think they're not in Beta yet?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nostalgia~4ever said:

Obviously.
The change from alpha to beta is a literal overnight change once they hit the benchmark and the PAX build was labeled as beta on PC. Beta has always pretty serious milestone in development (not just for public betas) and this close to release it definitely needs to be hitting the milestone or else it will be in serious trouble.

Manager

Church RvB said:
They really should have had some battlefield moments. Those were the best trailers for BFBC2.

Seems like the first Battlefield moment for BC2 was the 30th of September, with the game released in March. We're way past that now, but hopefully they can release one or two.

The Caspian trailer was like 6-7 Battlefield moments in one.

Nostalgia~4ever said:

Obviously.

Don't get lost in the semantics, the terms 'alpha' and 'beta' as exposed to consumers is not the same as what a developer considers alpha or beta. It's all marketing speak. The game releases in ~6 weeks, save for some fine tuning and balancing, it's done.

zomaha

Here's what a board admin at battlefield3online.com says about the Battlelog and the beta:

I'm suprised that EA and DICE have so strongly defended the Battlefield 3 Beta release date. They clearly announced at E3 that the Battlelog "PUBLIC" beta would commence on September 11th 2011. Without Battlefield 3, Battlelog will have extremely limited functionality and considering Battlelog is the core of Battlefield 3 an open beta without Battlelog wouldn't have online functionality at all. The Battlefield 3 public beta should commence on September 11th as previously announced at E3, that would then mean the previously announced 48 hour private beta would trial on September 9th.

There are two issues with this; firstly for a private beta to commence Battlelog needs to be open and running. Secondly EA/DICE may decide to publically open Battlelog on the previously mentioned September 11th, this would coincide with a private 48 hour Battlefield 3 beta. This would give full functionality to Battlefield online, it would also allow the public to play around with Battlelog, this would give 48 hours to play with it's features before finally getting to download and play the Battlefield 3 public beta.

With 4 days left till the previously announced Battlelog public beta I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Edit: Looks like DICE community manager Daniel "zh1nt0" Matros dropped a pretty big clue today. "Because it was pushed to Friday(smiley face). No real reason."

Friday is September 9th that's 2 days (or 48 hours) prior to the previously announced September 11th public beta, I think it's safe to say the Battlefield 3 public beta will be commencing as scheduled at E3 for September 11th whilst the 48 hour private trial will take place from from September 9th - 11th. A weekend trial makes perfect sense as it'll give everyone a good opportunity to play the game.

The countdown begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom