• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unconfirmed: Gran Turismo 6 officially announced (Holiday 2013 / PS3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkel

Banned
It seems idiotic not to have it on PS4 day one. How many people sell/trade their systems when they upgrade? Sony just gave five million GT fans a reason not to buy a PS4. Moronic. Of course it should be on PS3, but not exclusively.

can't argue with that.

If they would put GT6 on PS4 then PS4 would have sold 5 mln day 1

Soriku

Sony dun goofed but it makes sense they don't want to cannibalize Drive Club sales on the PS4. Though no cross gen?

gogogow

Why does this surprise so many.

It's just like Pokemon Black and White 2 was released for DS released after the 3DS came out.

PS4 userbase: 0

PS3 userbase: 70-80 million

cross platform, they don't lose ANYTHING, other than people jumping on the PS4 earlier.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Pointless. Would of been better in Q1/2 of 2014 for Playstation 4. Probably wont buy. I was really dissapointed with GT5. The game felt too boring.

BibiMaghoo

Why is everyone so surprised it is for PS3?

I mean really, you expect Sony to drop first party games for PS3, just because PS4 is coming this year?

Well people, not everyone that owns a PS3 will be getting a PS4 straight away. What are they supposed to play exactly?

This complaint comes across as sour grapes. ''I will have a Ps4 by then so fuck people that do not''.

PS4 early adopters get a racing game all the same. Putting this and DC on PS4 in first year would have been a stupid move. They would limit sales of the new IP and piss off PS3 only owners.

That's crazy.

I get the feeling this will be GT 5.5 though.
Meh, I wanted it for PS4. Less cars, more detail, and a vastly improved A spec.

This also confirms we won't see a true PS4 GT for years (and years). :(

Thoraxes

Can't wait for PS4 owners to check this one out. They'll thankfully have a great game to get with their system if they never had a chance to jump on with the PS3.

ITT: People don't understand how business works.

GT6 will inevitably make Sony a lot of money at a time when they'll be making initial heavy losses with a hardware launch. Money which they can then reinvest in to the PS4 launch marketing etc. I get that. It also helps keep their loyal PS3 customers away from Durango, even if they're on the fence about PS4.

But the usual point of first party software is to drive new hardware sales, to lead the platform. This is the opposite of that. This is a publisher looking to have profitable success with an existing install base, and is likely to only delay the launch of GT7 on PS4.
Can't wait for PS4 owners to check this one out. They'll thankfully have a great game to get with their system if they never had a chance to jump on with the PS3.
Eh?

Liamario

Banned
:(
playstation 4 announcement at E3 surely though, right?
right?

gif-wrong.gif

ITT: People don't understand how business works.

more like that people don't understand that only a small group of people would buy an expensive console just for a game.

It's like talking to PCgaf that a 300$ GPU is more than just mid-end for the most people.

8byte

Banned
It seems idiotic not to have it on PS4 day one. How many people sell/trade their systems when they upgrade? Sony just gave five million GT fans a reason not to buy a PS4. Moronic. Of course it should be on PS3, but not exclusively.

Right, Sony should focus on selling one piece of software on a (likely) loss-leader platform. Sounds like a good plan?

OR...

They could release the game on a platform with a large user base, increase their profit margins to help cope with the losses of a new hardware launch.

Hmmm...

Why are you guys surprised? GT4 did this, by coming in late in the system's life.

I'm pretty sure Polyphony will release GT7 4K/Prologue on PS4 though, and show a demo of it in the upcoming GT event today.

SmokyDave

I want to be happy, but I just can't. I want PS4 and Vita games, no matter how I look at it.

Oh well. More GT is a good thing.

StuBurns

Banned
Right, Sony should focus on selling one piece of software on a (likely) loss-leader platform. Sounds like a good plan?

OR...

They could release the game on a platform with a large user base, increase their profit margins to help cope with the losses of a new hardware launch.

Hmmm...
Did you even read the post you quoted? I said it should be on both.

Zia

Gran Turismo 5 1.0. Finally.

Also, who is going to invest loads of money into DLC with the PS4 knocking about and no BC in sight?

KKRT00

Standard are in! I'm excited, finally a reason to repair my PS3, although i was more counting for PS4 release too and save import from GT 5, so i wouldnt need to repair ps3 ;p

120 new premiums and 7 new tracks, i hope that track generator is improved tenfold.

8byte

Banned
GT6 will inevitably make Sony a lot of money at a time when they'll be making initial heavy losses with a hardware launch. Money which they can then reinvest in to the PS4 launch marketing etc. I get that. It also helps keep their loyal PS3 customers away from Durango, even if they're on the fence about PS4.

But the usual point of first party software is to drive new hardware sales, to lead the platform. This is the opposite of that. This is a publisher looking to have profitable success with an existing install base, and is likely to only delay the launch of GT7 on PS4.

Eh?

Given that PD has repeatedly stated that their premium assets are suitable for "next generation" I see no reason to think that they won't take a lot of this work and work on a new GT down the line. Hell, it's likely that they already have a team working on a GT title for the PS4 at this very moment. GT6 needed to be on PS3, 100%, given Sony's financial situation.

Respawn

Banned
The details alone got me wet. This is great news. Get your team use to PS4 and its hidden secrets Kaz. Don't rush, me and the millions of faithful will be waiting. PS3 getting the biggest love this holiday which it deserves as it heads into the twilight.

Playstation 1: Gran Turismo 1 and 2
Playstation 2: Gran Turismo 3 and 4
Playstation 3: Gran Turismo 5 and 6

Make sense.

Always been, but some either just started gaming or tend to ignore this.

This is really what surprises me the most. Why make the effort to develop a new IP, when you release a new game of what might be the biggest racing IP alongside it?

In fairness they're on separate consoles. An effect will be felt, but some in this thread are suggesting they release a PS4 port alongside DriveClub. Now that would be madness.

Edit: "officially" announced? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom