• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 releasing Spring 2013

Nintendoland and NSMBU is enough for launch for me. Then Rayman Legends and a few awesome eShop games and I'll be fine until then.

I've decided I'm gonna get one of these things, and I agree that NSMBU is probably good enough. Haven't played a NSMB since the original, though, so I'm a special case. Probably gonna get Sonic Racing and Rayman too.

The launch is pretty solid. Best I've seen in a while.

Of course I would have loved to see this one along with the launch lineup. Console + Pikmin day one. But I think this couple of months is worth the waiting. I hope the devs will use the additional time for a good and healthy polishing. Not especially in the graphics department, I expect less there. But contentwise or maybe some better implementation of the Wii U controller? Somehow, I've got a positive feeling about this situation.

Triton55

So, only including Nintendo exclusives, it's looking like...

Q4 2012
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Q1 2013
Rayman Legends
Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
The Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Q2 2013
Pikmin 3
+ ???

TBA
Bayonetta 2
Dragon Quest X

Japan Time
Super Smash Bros. 4

Pretty much a steady stream, not a lot more than that, but enough to get by in a window which is typically a drought.

Shiggy

So, only including Nintendo exclusives, it's looking like...

Q4 2012
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Q1 2013
Rayman Legends
Game & Wario
Lego City Undercover
The Wonderful 101
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Q2 2013
Pikmin 3
+ ???

TBA
Bayonetta 2
Dragon Quest X

Japan Time
Super Smash Bros. 4

Pretty much a steady stream, not a lot more than that, but enough to get by in a window which is typically a drought.

Scribblenauts Unlimited isn't Nintendo exclusive though :p

Hopefully accompanied by Animal Crossing 3D. The lack of release info for that game in the West is nothing short of insane.

Uhh..
236800-Scribblenauts.jpg

Triton55

Ah right, Steam. I guess you could say console exclusive version if I was inclined to using spin language?

Anyway, Pikmin being delayed is a shame. Thought it looked nice at E3 and would've liked to see it earlier, but some polish on that can only help. Really really curious what else will come out in Spring.

Yeah noticed as a side note it was delayed as well. No worries as my wallet and time will be busy anyways.

Gives me a chance to start amassing my Wii game collection and catching up on some gems I missed. I can't believe I've yet to play either Mario Galaxy's or Zelda Skyward Sword.

This, pikmin was one of the reasons I bought the wii until nintendo decided to skip the generation entirely for no damn reason.
Buying consoles for unannounced games has to be up there with selling and rebuying consoles as the stupidest things I've heard people do on GAF.

Probably a February release. Although we still have no idea about the lineup for next year besides Rayman, Aliens, 101, and Bayonetta 2 the latter of which probably won't be out the first half of the year. And yes, with 3 of the big releases I wanted coming next year, there is no rush to buy one this holiday. Plus it'll give me time to see more of the upcoming lineup and how 3rd parties actually treat the system.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Probably a February release. Although we still have no idea about the lineup for next year besides Rayman, Aliens, 101, and Bayonetta 2 the latter of which probably won't be out the first half of the year.

February is still in winter though. March-April sounds more plausible.

pswii60

Let's be honest, this game has been delayed to prevent a potential drought in the Spring. This isn't a development delay.

Actually I bet Luigi's Mansion 2 isn't finished

Maybe. The fact they missed out on a Halloween release date, and said a while ago that they were deliberately spacing out releases... I guess I'm just fairly depressed we only have a not really RPG starring... suprise! MARIO! To keep our 3DS's warm.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Buying consoles for unannounced games has to be up there with selling and rebuying consoles as the stupidest things I've heard people do on GAF.

But wasn't Pikmin 3 brought up as a Wii title in development, when Reggies was doing damage control, after that shitty Wii Music E3 showing?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I really hope Miyamoto reverses himself and uses the additional development time to add online play.

No no no!

Pikmin 3 should be launch. Let it benefit from those who are willing to try out new franchises with their shiny new console. The Wii U will sell out anyway at launch, and Pikmin won't be overshadowed by Mario.

Then release Mario U during the drought phase, as it will drive sales and keep up enthusiasm.

Ugh. Nintendo is so backwards.

imokaywiththis.tif

and what is the deal with everyone assuming NSMB U is a rehash? HAVE THEY SEEN ANY RECENT SCREENS/VIDEOS OF THE GAME AND ITS NEW MODES?

why not play before you judge, people

Hiltz

Spring huh? I wonder what's taking Nintendo so long. The game has been in development for a little over 2 years now.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Good. It would be hard for me to find time to play this at launch among NSMBU, NintendoLand, Trine 2, FIFA 13, Tekken Tag 2, Nano Assault Neo, ZombiU and Toki Tori 2

Katzii

Would go with what I was told at Eurogamer about it releasing around March 2013.

Of course, I took that with a liberal pinch of salt, and it's more likely to be the late part of Spring, but I can deal.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My theory is that Nintendo want people to get re-acquainted with Pikmin via the Nintendoland attraction, which will then, hopefully, cause more people to be interested in the actual game when it is released.

Same could be said for Luigi's Mansion too.

Well, they are stretching out Spring thus far for Wii U. No new announcements . So it looks like Monster Hunter, Pikmin 3, and Rayman from Jan to early summer.

Got plenty of launch window games to keep me busy. NSMBU and Zombi U is enough along with 3DS games(especially Paper Mario and Scribblenauts) and already huge backlog.

Triton55

Hm, ability to create your own items, co-op, and Nintendo characters is a pretty big deal. Bigger I would say than adjectives (Super Scribblenauts)

I think he was referring to the game that's in the thread title :p
In regards to Pikmin 3's differentiations... I guess it's not really trying to be, after all it's been 8 years since Pikmin 2. People are either unfamiliar with the first games or starved for any Pikmin at all. Will it flop? Maybe. Nintendo's trying to re-introduce the brand with Pikmin 2 NPC and Pikmin Adventure (and Pikmin 1+2 on the Wii U VC is the next logical step.) Probably won't be a smash hit, but could do decently.

imokaywiththis.tif

and what is the deal with everyone assuming NSMB U is a rehash? HAVE THEY SEEN ANY RECENT SCREENS/VIDEOS OF THE GAME AND ITS NEW MODES?

why not play before you judge, people

I've seen them. Challenge mode looks fun. The rest of it is the same physics, mechanics, moveset, etc. that the series has had for years. Inflating Yoshi is the same as helicopter suit. Squirrel suit is like the floating cape from SMW.

Just look at the difference in Mario's movesets between SM64, SMS, and SMG. And look at the innovations between SMB, SMB2USA, SMB3 (suits), SMW (capes, yoshis). All those added new mechanics and moves and played differently. Adding new suits is not enough.

keep looking face-value, dude.

2D mario titles are made or broken by level design. As far as that is concerned in NSMB U I'm very hopeful. Not every NSMB hit that out of the park, but I'm not worried about this one. Also 5 player co-op is a blast the two times I've demo'd it

keep looking face-value, dude.

2D mario titles are made or broken by level design. As far as that is concerned in NSMB U I'm very hopeful. Not every NSMB hit that out of the park, but I'm not worried about this one. Also 5 player co-op is a blast the two times I've demo'd it

Face value? I'm referring strictly to mechanics, not graphics or music. Level design is important. And guess what defines level design? The gameplay mechanics.

SMB2USA was extremely influenced by the different abilities of the characters as well as the unique interactions with enemies and items. SMB3 level design was defined by the ability to be a raccoon. Donkey Kong '94 even had level design that was built with the new moveset available to Mario.

NSMB, by not innovating mechanics, has less of a chance of innovating level design. The levels can be good, but they will likely play quite similarly to the other titles.

Regardless, Pikmin 3 needs to be launch. Delay NSMB:U. It doesn't need the launch help.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Regardless, Pikmin 3 needs to be launch. Delay NSMB:U. It doesn't need the launch help.

Uh no! You cannot launch a Nintendo console without a Mario or Zelda...look at the GCN...

I love Pikmin but it's not a launch game that can shift console's...Mario can shift software and hardware...

Top Bottom